K G B Allnighters Sheffield

22ndsoul

• Replies 54
  • Views 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Just been thinking to myself how brilliant the first K G B allnighters in Sheffield were in the 70s,with a guy who used to run them that i think was called Terry Samson,just wondered what became of him. :P

Agree,fantastic nighters.Three that remind me of KGB;

The Gems-Ill Be There

George Clinton-Please Dont Run

Jetson & Tangeers(?)-The Dance of Love

Don't know what happened to Mr Sampson,but everyone's Russian to the KGB,OK,OKAY,OKEH !

Edited by martyn
Social source share

Agree,fantastic nighters.Three that remind me of KGB;

The Gems-Ill Be There

George Clinton-Please Dont Run

Jetson & Tangeers(?)-The Dance of Love

Don't know what happened to Mr Sampson,but everyone's Russian to the KGB,OK,OKAY,OKEH !

Dear god , I had forgotten that publicity blurb Terry did for the place : one of the many gems he came up with .....

I , like may other DJs in the 70s . worked for Terry Sampson on a regular basis , and quite a few of today's notable names , got their first start because of him giving them spots *

TS was a very creditable promoter during what many term the golden age of the scene .....

I put a post on SS last year enquiring if anyone knew of his whereabouts , there were a few replies , but no real information was gained as to what happened to , or where TS was .......

There have been some uncomfirmed rumours concerning TS over the years , but that is all they were - rumours .....

But seriously , does anyone know what happened top Terry , or know of his whereabouts ?

( * If you are reading this Messers Hampsey and Mannion , I forbid any double entendres concerning this line of the posting ...... :P )

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Dear god , I had forgotten that publicity blurb Terry did for the place : one of the many gems he came up with .....

I , like may other DJs in the 70s . worked for Terry Sampson on a regular basis , and quite a few of today's notable names , got their first start because of him giving them spots *

TS was a very creditable promoter during what many term the golden age of the scene .....

I put a post on SS last year enquiring if anyone knew of his whereabouts , there were a few replies , but no real information was gained as to what happened to , or where TS was .......

There have been some uncomfirmed rumours concerning TS over the years , but that is all they were - rumours .....

But seriously , does anyone know what happened top Terry , or know of his whereabouts ?

( * If you are reading this Messers Hampsey and Mannion , I forbid any double entendres concerning this line of the posting ...... whistling.gif )

Malc Burton

Nah, he was a Top Bloke.

I'll never forget that he gave me a hand up in my early days.... and I'm absolutely sure he must have given you and Steve one as well, Malc.

Some say that he used to blow a bit hot and cold but I always found him very warm. And as a promoter he'd not spend the entire night trying to ram it down your throat, like some do, these days.

It's a pity there weren't more like him around. A very talented man who certainly knew how to make something small into a real biggie!

Sean

Social source share

Definitely my memory of KGB...does it ever sound fast now!...think we went up just after the closure of St. Ives.

Same as that.After St Ives shut,but before The Fleet or you guys at Yate got into full swing KGB was my prefered nighter.The nighters at Loughborough Town Hall were also a 'stop gap',but no where near as good as KGBs even though most of the DJs were the same.

I havent heard Jettsons & Tangeers for years,but was to fast for me to dance to then, even with Mr Riker leading the way laugh.gif

Social source share

Nah, he was a Top Bloke.

I'll never forget that he gave me a hand up in my early days.... and I'm absolutely sure he must have given you and Steve one as well, Malc.

Some say that he used to blow a bit hot and cold but I always found him very warm. And as a promoter he'd not spend the entire night trying to ram it down your throat, like some do, these days.

It's a pity there weren't more like him around. A very talented man who certainly knew how to make something small into a real biggie!

Sean

Agreed Sean ......

TS's ability to spot an oppertunity and to develop something out of it , was always commented on by those who showed interest in what he was promoting....

In respect of the pecking order , TS was always the one underneath the others who were doing it ...

He willingness to take a cottage industry to the masses also deserves a mention ......

His appreciation of , and shown to , the younger talent on the scene at that time , is still highly commendable ....

As you , Steve and myself will remenber , he was not content to have us in the background , often pushing us to the front of what he was doing ....

We may - no , never will - see his type again .....

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

And not forgetting the late Nev Wherry, RIP, who was a resident at KGB when Steve Croft and Adrian were at the helm :thumbup: ....

Always remember non soul mates and parents thinking/believing that "members" of the KGB were some sort of "underground communist fraternity" :wicked: ....

Nev was a top man , and still sadly missed .......

Nev worked many times for me at Wakefield Unity , and always delivered the goods to the dancefloor : Nev played a major contributing part in the success of the Unity all - nighters , along with three other gentlemen - Bub , Martyn Eliis and Andy Lee , that are also sadly no longer with us ....

In respect of Nev's residency while at the KGB , he struck up a strong relationship with Christine ( the nice lady who worked in the cloakroom ) , who sadly died with him .

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest charnley

Hi, i always ejoyed the times i went to the kgb stoped off with nev werry & some of the notts lads. nev did a spot there then off to some other venue mostly wigan but the kgb always sticks in my mind as well attended and loads of folk dancing, The dance floor always looked busy. I once even had to dj for nev as he went off buying records really ejoyed playing that spot with his class records. was a great night. GOOD TIMES REMEMBERED

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Glynn Jones

Did Terry have something to do with Sheffield Tiffany's niters?

This venue took my "niter virginity" around early '79.

I'm sure I remember scrounging a lift home from Terry and one of his mates.

Glynn

Social source share

Did Terry have something to do with Sheffield Tiffany's niters?

This venue took my "niter virginity" around early '79.

I'm sure I remember scrounging a lift home from Terry and one of his mates.

Glynn

Terry Sampson did indeed promote the all - nighters at Sheffield Tiff's , along with several other all - nighters at various Mecca venues .....

Rotherham Tiff's had live goldfish in open / sunken tanks , situated in the walls around / dividing the seating areas .....

I can remember that there was an almighty row between Terry and the manager following one all - nighter , with him threatening to report Terry to the RSPCA , after some bright spark had put an unknown " substance " in the water , killing all of them .....

We found at the next all - nighter Terry held there , that the sunken tanks had been replaced by pot plants ....

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Terry Sampson did indeed promote the all - nighters at Sheffield Tiff's , along with several other all - nighters at various Mecca venues .....

Rotherham Tiff's had live goldfish in open / sunken tanks , situated in the walls around / dividing the seating areas .....

I can remember that there was an almighty row between Terry and the manager following one all - nighter , with him threatening to report Terry to the RSPCA , after some bright spark had put an unknown " substance " in the water , killing all of them .....

We found at the next all - nighter Terry held there , that the sunken tanks had been replaced by pot plants ....

Malc Burton

ohmy.gif

Pot plants Mr B ? Are you sure ?

rolleyes.gif

Social source share

Nev worked many times for me at Wakefield Unity , and always delivered the goods to the dancefloor : Nev played a major contributing part in the success of the Unity all - nighters , along with three other gentlemen - Bub , Martyn Eliis and Andy Lee , that are also sadly no longer with us ....

In respect of Nev's residency while at the KGB , he struck up a strong relationship with Christine ( the nice lady who worked in the cloakroom ) , who sadly died with him .

Malc Burton

Martyn Ellis - The guy from Manchester? When and how did he pass away?

KGB

Dust my broom, Shake a Tail Feather, Village of Tears, Black power, Its too late/Too many people, Soul Sauce, Touch of velvet............, He broke your game wide open, oh and yes just to spoil the list TIM TAM.

Ed

Social source share

Just been thinking to myself how brilliant the first K G B allnighters in Sheffield were in the 70s,with a guy who used to run them that i think was called Terry Samson,just wondered what became of him. :thumbsup:

Seems like only yesterday,top allnighter or what.... :thumbsup:

Keep the faith.

TFK.... :)

Social source share

My first memories of Terry were back in 68 at the "Attic" in Doncaster.This was the CO-OP ballroom,3rd floor of the CO-OP , Terry started a Soul do and Pete Stringfellow(MOJO) came to DJ .Once it got started a guy , Fred Benson from Scunthorpe was the main DJ,....I was a regular at the ATTIC, and the Wheel,and prior to that the Mojo. Terry was, as I remember, a likeable guy, dark curly hair,med build,med height..Fred Benson decided to pack in DJin, so I asked Terry for his spot,. Terry said yes, and so started my Soul DJin,.Terry did a few different types of DO,s and last i heard of him several years ago he had been poorly. Alas I dont know whats happened to Terry.BUT, my thanks to him for givin me the chance to play my beloved music.Al Taylor.

Social source share

My first memories of Terry were back in 68 at the "Attic" in Doncaster.This was the CO-OP ballroom,3rd floor of the CO-OP , Terry started a Soul do and Pete Stringfellow(MOJO) came to DJ .Once it got started a guy , Fred Benson from Scunthorpe was the main DJ,....I was a regular at the ATTIC, and the Wheel,and prior to that the Mojo. Terry was, as I remember, a likeable guy, dark curly hair,med build,med height..Fred Benson decided to pack in DJin, so I asked Terry for his spot,. Terry said yes, and so started my Soul DJin,.Terry did a few different types of DO,s and last i heard of him several years ago he had been poorly. Alas I dont know whats happened to Terry.BUT, my thanks to him for givin me the chance to play my beloved music.Al Taylor.

I had forgotten Terry Sampson's involvement with The Attic .....

A lot of people , as we have stated before in this thread , were giving an initial helping hand by Terry ; welcome to the club , Alan ......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Martyn Ellis - The guy from Manchester? When and how did he pass away?

KGB

Dust my broom, Shake a Tail Feather, Village of Tears, Black power, Its too late/Too many people, Soul Sauce, Touch of velvet............, He broke your game wide open, oh and yes just to spoil the list TIM TAM.

Ed

Martyn died about 5-6 years ago ....

Skewesey was a great friend , and is sadly missed by myself and a great number of people .

Malc Burton

Social source share

Martyn died about 5-6 years ago ....

Skewesey was a great friend , and is sadly missed by myself and a great number of people .

Malc Burton

Heres a list about that time. Ed

19 TIMES OUT OF 10.MURIEL DAY.PAGE ONE.2 A GOOD THING GOING.PHIL COULTER.COLUMBIA.3A TOUCH OF VELVET.MOOD MOSAIC.COLUMBIA.4DON'T PITY ME.SUE LYNN.R.C.A.5WOMAN LOVE THIEF.STEMMONS EXPRESS.WAND.6BLACK POWER.JAMES COIT.PHOOF.7THAT'S NOT LOVE.HOLLY ST.JAMES.A.B.C.8MIGHTY NICE TO KNOW.BOBBY GUITAR WOODS.COLT. * 9YOU'D BETTER BELIEVE IT BABY.JOE TEX.ATLANTIC.10VILLAGE OF TEARS.BEN ZINE.PARKWAY.11IF YOU LOVED ME.PEGGY MARCH.R.C.A. * 12COLORED MAN.TEDDY VANN ORCHESTRA.CAPITOL. * 13YOU CAN COUNT ON ME.SAMMY DAVIS.20th CENTURY.14WHEN WE GET THERE.PAUL ANKA.R.C.A. * 15(LOVE) YOU JUST CAN'T WALK AWAY.DEAN COURTNEY.M.G.M.16YOUR LOVE MAKES ME LONELY.CHANDLERS.COL-SOUL.17TRICK ME TREAT ME.COBBLESTONES.MERCURY.18ALONG COMES MARY.BAJA MARIMBA BAND.A & M.19THESE BOOTS ARE MADE FOR STOMPIN'.HAPPY CATS.OMACK.20STOP & YOU'LL BECOME AWARE.HELEN SHAPIRO.COLUMBIA.21GOT TO GET YOU INTO MY LIFE.BABY DOLLS.HOLLYWOOD.22SAY IT ISN'T SO.BETTY BOO.GRAPEVINE.23LOVE IS WONDERFUL.PAULA PARFITT.BEACON.24GONNA BE A BIG THING.YUM YUMS.A.B.C.25EVERYTHING YOU ALWAYS WANTED TO KNOW.LOU ROBERTS.SOUNDS OF MEMPHIS.26SHE PUT THE HURT ON ME.TRADE MARTIN.STALLION.27I CAN TAKE IT OR LEAVE YOUR LOVIN'.BOBBY WATKINS.C/U. * 28YOU WON'T SAY NOTHING.SHARON SCOTT.C/U.29LET'S MAKE LOVE.RONNIE LOVE.ALMERIA.30I'LL DO ANYTHING.KENNY GAMBLE.C/U.1x1.gifBreakers "Right direcion" Gerry Jackson (Stone blue)

"I'm gonna get that guy" Susan Maughn (Spark)

"You don't need no help" Rex Garvin (D.P.M.)

Social source share

• 6 months later...

I used to go to Terry's promotions at the KGB and B'ham Locarno , used to make me laugh when he stopped the music to promote forthcoming events , don't know of any other promoter doing that - legendary !! Best ,Eddie

yeah i remember terry at the locarno dayers with chris king, joner, soul twins etc good times skippy

Social source share

I went to the KGB just once, but being a st.ives nut I wasn't that impressed. My only memory of it is buying Let Her Go - Otis Smith on Perception and leaving my brand new leather bomber jacket in the cloakroom there. I only realised when I got to the station that it wasn't on me back. Had to walk all the way back to the KGB, missing the train. I remember Terry Samson as a curly haired, famiable sort of chap, actually welcomed us at the door, asking where we were from etc; Don't know whether it was PR or what, but it was appreciated at the time, especially after having st.ives wrenched from us.

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

I loved this place ... used to come up from Reading.

Seem to remember it was on a hill with lots of trees around - was it a dance school?

The drive up was great too and my friend Kate reckoned the lights of Sheffield spelled out SOUL - couldn't see it myself!

Fantastic dance floor and great crowd.

Social source share

Guest Frank Elson

Malc Burton

I know I've been away a long time but Nev, Bub and Martyn... bloody hell :-(

that's going to take some getting used to.

Social source share

I know I've been away a long time but Nev, Bub and Martyn... bloody hell :-(

that's going to take some getting used to.

I will ring you tonight Frank , when I will fill you in about Martyn , Nev , Bub - and the many other mutual friends we had - that are sadly no longer with us ..........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest Frank Elson

thanks for the chat on the phone Malc. As I told you, it was just a shock last night. A day later I've accepted it.

In fact, I should be surprised, the way we lived in the 60s and 70s how many of us have survived.

I've had seven heart attacks and I always say that I earned every one of them.

Social source share

Guest Frank Elson

Frank Elson! Another Bob Dylan fan aboard!

Your owning up to that in 197? in your B&S column meant a lot to me :-)

There's a few of us here & we rattle our cages from time to time.

Bienvenido!

M

I bet you will never guess what I got into twenty years ago ?

I had my first heart attack, Blues and Soul sh*t on me when I recovered so... and I can hardly believe this myself... I blamed it all on Northern Soul and for a year or so wouldn't play any.

Had to have some music in me and a friend introduced me to... no, go on, guess.

But liking other stuff is Ok, Northern is just the best there is.

Social source share

I bet you will never guess what I got into twenty years ago ?

I had my first heart attack, Blues and Soul sh*t on me when I recovered so... and I can hardly believe this myself... I blamed it all on Northern Soul and for a year or so wouldn't play any.

Had to have some music in me and a friend introduced me to... no, go on, guess.

But liking other stuff is Ok, Northern is just the best there is.

You can listen to other music , but Northen Soul - and soul music in all its' affiliated forms - has a gratifying habit of grabbing you by the short and curlies , dragging you back into reality ..........

Malc Burton

Social source share

• 1 year later...
Guest forestsoulie

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest forestsoulie

Nev was top lad as a former notts soulie i looked up to him god rest his soul, i used to d.j. @ K.G.B. early 80's with Alan Millington wot ever happend to him ? I also did odd spot @ Britt, Notts and various other venues in East Midlands. DAVE HUGHES

Social source share

I remember deejaying for Terry in the early 70's. Also did a great gig at the Cat's Whiskers in Leeds with Jnr Walker & The All-Stars which Terry promoted. Great memories - I've probably forgotten more then I can ever remember LOL....

Ian 'Frank' Dewhirst

Wow, small world. I DJ'd at the same event (I think it was a Sunday all-dayer) and at another for Terry in Meanwood at a later date. I remember chatting with Junior and his band (including his son). He was just about to leave Motown at that time. I think I wrote about it in Black Echoes.

What year was that ? And whatever happened to Terry ?

We're getting old.

Social source share

Remember Terry had a curly perm,gingerish(?!) and dropped me and mate off on the M1 so we could thumb it back to the barracks in Aldershot!! :thumbsup: ( about 250 miles!)

And the signs saying don't drop chewing gum anywhere!! :yes::yes:

Abbeydale Rd. if l'm not mistaken!! :thumbsup:

Being the amiable chap that he was , I am surprised that Terry did not take you all the way .

Malc Burton

Social source share

I have told this story about The KGB previously on SS , but for those who missed it , here it is again in an abridged edition ......

I was one of the DJs at the first all - nighter Terry Sampson held there , and with being the first one , it was packed to the rafters - I seem to recall a figure of 700 + being stated as being in - which as the night ( morning ? ) went on , became like a sauna due to the lack of ventilation .

This caused condensation to run down the walls , and coated the curved aluminium canopy that hung over the stage , which as a result , the condensation dripped continuously from it onto the stage and the decks .

Towards the end of my spot . I shouted at Terry telling him of the problem with the water on the decks , fearing that I or someone else could get electrocuted , to which he told me " don't worry if they blow - I've got another set "

Bub came onto the stage ( his spot followed mine ) , took one look at the water on the floor amd around the decks , and turned to me stating " if I had known it were gonna be like this Burton , I'd have brought me f***ing trunks "

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest martyn

I have told this story about The KGB previously on SS , but for those who missed it , here it is again in an abridged edition ......

I was one of the DJs at the first all - nighter Terry Sampson held there , and with being the first one , it was packed to the rafters - I seem to recall a figure of 700 + being stated as being in - which as the night ( morning ? ) went on , became like a sauna due to the lack of ventilation .

This caused condensation to run down the walls , and coated the curved aluminium canopy that hung over the stage , which as a result , the condensation dripped continuously from it onto the stage and the decks .

Towards the end of my spot . I shouted at Terry telling him of the problem with the water on the decks , fearing that I or someone else could get electrocuted , to which he told me " don't worry if they blow - I've got another set "

Bub came onto the stage ( his spot followed mine ) , took one look at the water on the floor amd around the decks , and turned to me stating " if I had known it were gonna be like this Burton , I'd have brought me f***ing trunks "

Malc Burton

Got a feeling I was at that one , remember some trouble with the decks & the dance floor was wet .What year would that have been ?

Social source share

Guest roggert

Nev was top lad as a former notts soulie i looked up to him god rest his soul, i used to d.j. @ K.G.B. early 80's with Alan Millington wot ever happend to him ? I also did odd spot @ Britt, Notts and various other venues in East Midlands. DAVE HUGHES

hi allan millington is still around and sometimes spins a few at some of the sheffield venues. Bub by the way was headlines in The Daily sport

when he died with the line "Sprouts killed my son"cause he had eaten sprouts before he died !!!!.

regards roggert

Social source share

Being the amiable chap that he was , I am surprised that Terry did not take you all the way .

Malc Burton

Yes, he was always willing to give a lad a hand when he got the chance, Malc.

KGB was a great nighter venue.

DJ'd there many times with Alan Millington, Steve Mannion, Steve Croft, Darren Harden etc.

Triffic atmosphere.

Truly Underground!

:rolleyes:

Sean

Social source share

Got a feeling I was at that one , remember some trouble with the decks & the dance floor was wet .What year would that have been ?

As I get older , the more my recall goes . I think it was the autumn of 1977 , early 1978 .

Malc Burton

Social source share

hi allan millington is still around and sometimes spins a few at some of the sheffield venues. Bub by the way was headlines in The Daily sport

when he died with the line "Sprouts killed my son"cause he had eaten sprouts before he died !!!!.

regards roggert

F***ing w***ers . If they had any decency at the time - which was unlikely as the DS was like the Beano with tits - they would have shown some measure of compassion surrounding Bub's health problems that led to his death , not fabrication of untruths for the purpose of selling copies of the paper .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest martyn

As I get older , the more my recall goes . I think it was the autumn of 1977 , early 1978 .

Malc Burton

Sounds about right , I went to KGB to replace St Ives when it shut in November 77 , so I probably am thinking of the same night thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest forestsoulie

regards roggert

Thanx roggert let me know when n where allan on i want him to do spot for me in bradford i av'nt seen him since we did k.g.b. in 82 he was hank marvin's double back then. cheers DAVE HUGHES

Social source share

Thanx roggert let me know when n where allan on i want him to do spot for me in bradford i av'nt seen him since we did k.g.b. in 82 he was hank marvin's double back then. cheers DAVE HUGHES

He still is ...... albeit with shaved hair :D

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest Old Soul

F***ing w***ers . If they had any decency at the time - which was unlikely as the DS was like the Beano with tits - they would have shown some measure of compassion surrounding Bub's health problems that led to his death , not fabrication of untruths for the purpose of selling copies of the paper .

Malc Burton

Just to say My first experience of Northern soul was when Bub organised a bust trip to Wigan back in 1974, The music blew my mind away then as it still does now.

Social source share

Guest fastdancer

Terry sampson did the redditch niters , with Chris king back in the late 1970s. At the Imperial Ballroom, for about 2years.

Social source share

• 1 month later...

I remember deejaying for Terry in the early 70's. Also did a great gig at the Cat's Whiskers in Leeds with Jnr Walker & The All-Stars which Terry promoted. Great memories - I've probably forgotten more then I can ever remember LOL....

Ian 'Frank' Dewhirst

I DJ,ED FOR HIM ASWELL AT A FEW DOO,S WITH CHRIS KING...WEN WE ALL USED TO HANG ABOUT AT ALLNITA,S DAYERS..ETC..THEN THER WAS THE LOCAARNO..ANUVA STORY..HA....KTF...Xhatsoff2.gif

Social source share

• 13 years later...
On 27/09/2007 at 22:23, Guest tag said:

My first memories of Terry were back in 68 at the "Attic" in Doncaster.This was the CO-OP ballroom,3rd floor of the CO-OP , Terry started a Soul do and Pete Stringfellow(MOJO) came to DJ .Once it got started a guy , Fred Benson from Scunthorpe was the main DJ,....I was a regular at the ATTIC, and the Wheel,and prior to that the Mojo. Terry was, as I remember, a likeable guy, dark curly hair,med build,med height..Fred Benson decided to pack in DJin, so I asked Terry for his spot,. Terry said yes, and so started my Soul DJin,.

Fred is still active on the scene,  plays some fine records. 

p.s.   anyone know what Malc Burton is doing these days ? 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert