Guest Ferrett

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 33
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Blimey a ton fifty Chalky! am shocked! would have thort bout fifty tops! Brill record tho,

(as all the black Curtom's) thumbup.gif

steve

not so long ago it probably was, remember passing on one not so long ago for around that price and again bit later at £75 in favour of other records. Been a couple recently. Listed one on here few weeks ago for Andy D for £150, it went.

Social source share

Apologies for hi-jacking thread but Im pretty sure last copy of this 45 on here was £50 few weeks back. I only know this cos I'd just got a copy off Mick Smith for £20 on Ebay Buy-it-now and I thought that's a bit expensive when Mick had it at £20 and I certainly wasn't the first to look at Mick's.

How Chalky arrives at £150 Christ knows other than Andy's list. Chalky would also have us believe that Ebay is not a reliable indicator of record prices so I guess Im to ignore Clara Hardy selling now regularly at just over £100 on Ebay and take Andy's £400 valuation according to the same list mentioned by Chalky.

Don't know why people bother bidding against each other on the Clara Hardy when Detroitantiques or whoever has probably got enough to go around.

Ferret I'd hang on a bit until Symphonics is not flavour of the month.

ROD

Social source share

Apologies for hi-jacking thread but Im pretty sure last copy of this 45 on here was £50 few weeks back. I only know this cos I'd just got a copy off Mick Smith for £20 on Ebay Buy-it-now and I thought that's a bit expensive when Mick had it at £20 and I certainly wasn't the first to look at Mick's.

How Chalky arrives at £150 Christ knows other than Andy's list. Chalky would also have us believe that Ebay is not a reliable indicator of record prices so I guess Im to ignore Clara Hardy selling now regularly at just over £100 on Ebay and take Andy's £400 valuation according to the same list mentioned by Chalky.

Don't know why people bother bidding against each other on the Clara Hardy when Detroitantiques or whoever has probably got enough to go around.

ROD

i've seen other copies for three figures as well in recent times. They didn't appear to be around for long either. I agree it is flavour of the month but isn't it the case with plenty of records that are indemand, the price goes up and some more than willing to pay that price.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

ROD

Just for the record ,clara hardy i put on the list for someone and it sold, also the symphonics sold easily with 6 more people wanting it and offering more than the list price.so chalky didn't arrive at 150 for symphonics i did using my past experience of how many copies i'd had in the past -and it wasn't too many ! that is what the price was based on and of course 2 fantastic sides.think you'll find a few collectors short of this 45.imo

Social source share

Just for the record ,clara hardy i put on the list for someone and it sold, also the symphonics sold easily with 6 more people wanting it and offering more than the list price.so chalky didn't arrive at 150 for symphonics i did using my past experience of how many copies i'd had in the past -and it wasn't too many ! that is what the price was based on and of course 2 fantastic sides.think you'll find a few collectors short of this 45.imo

Ya right Andy bout "2 fantastic sides" flip "When I Grow Old" is a brill group harmony ballad, will stick it in refosoul with "Guilty" :no:

steve

Social source share

ROD,

I agree with Rod in general about prices, but specifically re: Symphonics, that record is impossible to find in Chicago, if it really is available it's because all the copies were exported to the UK. I found it twice in Chicago, and the label was torn both times. I'm just saying that unlike some other overpriced "hot" records that even got play in the US (e.g. ace spectrum) and where copies will always be avilable, that won't happen with the Symphonics. All copies for sale will come from people's existing UK collections.

Social source share

Andy I think Chalky referred to your list as "proof" that Symphonics is now £150. As you sold it and got six other offers then I have to eat my words although on the good side at least I got a bargain!! Boba has confirmed that it's extremely scarce in Chicago and I gotta admit that having spent many months there in the 90's I didn't find it there either that I can remember. On the other hand no one was asking me for it either so any demand must be pretty recent.

However, and despite the demand you relate, I bet you can still pick it up for less.

Clara Hardy entered into it because despite experience sellers can make mistakes and I certainly did think £400 was way over the top for this 45 now. Obviously if it wasn't yours then you probably didn't set the price but here's a copy for £290. Im sure Detroitantiques will be listing another very soon as well.

https://cgi.ebay.com/NORTHERN-SOUL-CLARA-HA...VQQcmdZViewItem

Just because someone paid £400 doesn't make that the going rate. Seven people willing to pay £150 or more would tend to suggest that you're right with the Symphonics but again I'd disagree with Chalky that you can ignore Ebay as a reliable guide to prices and suggest that Symphonics isn't going to fetch $300 on Ebay.

Slight fly in the ointment there in that I had been looking for a copy for years and Mick's was the first I'd seen but 45s do tend to suddenly appear on there once copies start selling for real money. I guess that's just US dealers becoming aware of the title.

ROD

Social source share

Andy I think Chalky referred to your list as "proof" that Symphonics is now £150. As you sold it and got six other offers then I have to eat my words although on the good side at least I got a bargain!! Boba has confirmed that it's extremely scarce in Chicago and I gotta admit that having spent many months there in the 90's I didn't find it there either that I can remember. On the other hand no one was asking me for it either so any demand must be pretty recent.

However, and despite the demand you relate, I bet you can still pick it up for less.

Clara Hardy entered into it because despite experience sellers can make mistakes and I certainly did think £400 was way over the top for this 45 now. Obviously if it wasn't yours then you probably didn't set the price but here's a copy for £290. Im sure Detroitantiques will be listing another very soon as well.

https://cgi.ebay.com/NORTHERN-SOUL-CLARA-HA...VQQcmdZViewItem

Just because someone paid £400 doesn't make that the going rate. Seven people willing to pay £150 or more would tend to suggest that you're right with the Symphonics but again I'd disagree with Chalky that you can ignore Ebay as a reliable guide to prices and suggest that Symphonics isn't going to fetch $300 on Ebay.

Slight fly in the ointment there in that I had been looking for a copy for years and Mick's was the first I'd seen but 45s do tend to suddenly appear on there once copies start selling for real money. I guess that's just US dealers becoming aware of the title.

ROD

BTW, Symphonics sold on ebay about 6 months ago for $200, I almost bid to upgrade my copy with the messed up labels.

I actually have my OTHER copy with the labels even more torn if someone wants to trade for it, the labels are almost unreadable but the vinyl is very clean, at least VG++ (US grading)

Social source share

but again I'd disagree with Chalky that you can ignore Ebay as a reliable guide to prices and suggest that Symphonics isn't going to fetch $300 on Ebay.

ROD

I didn't say you should ignore popsike or e-bay Rod. I said they aren't always the best indicator of current prices...there's a slight difference there in what I said and what you are saying I said! Too often I see the popsike prices given as the price for records and many times they are way off the current valuation, some use popsike as a bible for prices.

Now if a record has sold for £150 and others also willing to pay the price, only a month ago then that is a better indicator of the price to me than a popsike valuation from March 2006 ($208) and £115 December 2006 (the two ebay sales popsike lists).

Social source share

ROD

Rod

It was me who bought Andys copy. I was quite happy to pay this as I'd been looking for a copy for over two years, in that time I've only seen two copies for sale which I missed out on. Two copies in two years I think tells it's own story. If as you say it's now flavour of the month they may start turning up, only time will tell.

soulmac.

Social source share

Slight fly in the ointment there in that I had been looking for a copy for years and Mick's was the first I'd seen

ROD

Rod

If you'd been looking for years then got one for £20 you know you got a bargain. How come you thought the one on here was expensive at £50 when you'd been looking for so long. I missed out on the one on here as I think it was only listed for a short time before it was snapped up.

soulmac.

Social source share

Well because I've been looking for 45s for years that are cheap such as a Minty copy of 4 Tops "Baby I need your loving" on USA Motown. eventually got a WDJ for £15 about 3 weeks ago. I'd put this 45 in "Wants" on here at least twice and had no luck.

I figured £10-15 for a copy so if I saw it for £80 I'd assume that was OTT. So price is nothing to do with how available that particular 45 is. Similarly I thought Symphonics was an OK 45 but a bit messy and with inflation £20-30, so £50 seemed OTT IMO.

You may as well ask Mick why he listed it at £20 Buy-it-now. Both of us are just as experienced in selling 45s as Andy and yet Mick was happy to sell it at £20 and I thought that was about right. With hindsight Andy was correct in obtaining a good price as a seller which is why I have a pushbike and he has a Mazarati for use when his main car is having the chauffeur cleaned.

ROD

Social source share

I don't think its as rare as folk are making out, i've sold two this yr and i know a mate has one too, he only lives down the road !!! :thumbup::D Now that it seems it commands a 3 figure price tag just watch them come out of the woodwork.

Will all records eventually be 3 figures, it seems that they only have to be played out a couple of times, exchange hands for a few quid once or twice and thats it - a ton record - barmy. Strange how they never really go down either, its like well once its sold for that amount then it stays at that price regardless of demand. :shhh:

Imagine someone promoting a CD only nighter..........i can hear the sharp intakes of breath already....

Social source share

I don't think its as rare as folk are making out, i've sold two this yr and i know a mate has one too, he only lives down the road !!! :thumbup::D Now that it seems it commands a 3 figure price tag just watch them come out of the woodwork.

Will all records eventually be 3 figures, it seems that they only have to be played out a couple of times, exchange hands for a few quid once or twice and thats it - a ton record - barmy. Strange how they never really go down either, its like well once its sold for that amount then it stays at that price regardless of demand. :shhh:

Imagine someone promoting a CD only nighter..........i can hear the sharp intakes of breath already....

My only comment was that it's very rare in the US. If it's not rare in the UK, it's because all the copies are there.

Social source share

I don't think its as rare as folk are making out, i've sold two this yr and i know a mate has one too, he only lives down the road !!! :):huh: Now that it seems it commands a 3 figure price tag just watch them come out of the woodwork.

Will all records eventually be 3 figures, it seems that they only have to be played out a couple of times, exchange hands for a few quid once or twice and thats it - a ton record - barmy. Strange how they never really go down either, its like well once its sold for that amount then it stays at that price regardless of demand. :D

Yeah, and I sold it/traded to Perry for £40. Funny thing is, I originally got it off Perry for nowt!!!

Completely agree with your statement about being played out a couple of times (mainly to an 'always' packed dancefloor whatever...like Skeggy) and sometimes certain of these 'ok' and relatively 'untried' records sound fantastic played out loud . Then it's price-hike!

If you go through your collection, I bet you'll find loads that need this exposure and they will be 3 figures no worry.

Social source share

Well because I've been looking for 45s for years that are cheap such as a Minty copy of 4 Tops "Baby I need your loving" on USA Motown. eventually got a WDJ for £15 about 3 weeks ago. I'd put this 45 in "Wants" on here at least twice and had no luck.

I figured £10-15 for a copy so if I saw it for £80 I'd assume that was OTT. So price is nothing to do with how available that particular 45 is. Similarly I thought Symphonics was an OK 45 but a bit messy and with inflation £20-30, so £50 seemed OTT IMO.

You may as well ask Mick why he listed it at £20 Buy-it-now. Both of us are just as experienced in selling 45s as Andy and yet Mick was happy to sell it at £20 and I thought that was about right. With hindsight Andy was correct in obtaining a good price as a seller which is why I have a pushbike and he has a Mazarati for use when his main car is having the chauffeur cleaned.

ROD

Gracious me rod i only just learned how to spell mazarati,let alone own one.. to me the litmus test for all record sales prices has to be the shop floor ( where i am).i actually wasn't aware symphonics was flavour of the month -like i mentioned i based the price on how often i've had it.to be honest i never really saw it kicking around when it was £25 10 years ago...

As for experience you and mick have been dealing records at least 15 years longer than me so your views i respect.been thinkin i'd sooner have records than a mazarati every time !

Social source share

Gracious me rod i only just learned how to spell mazarati,let alone own one.. to me the litmus test for all record sales prices has to be the shop floor ( where i am).i actually wasn't aware symphonics was flavour of the month -like i mentioned i based the price on how often i've had it.to be honest i never really saw it kicking around when it was £25 10 years ago...

As for experience you and mick have been dealing records at least 15 years longer than me so your views i respect.been thinkin i'd sooner have records than a mazarati every time !

I was playing it at sitc & Solid Hit for couple of years & almost nobody knew it....probably too common to play ha ha, I was happy to give manship 70 quid couple of years ago anyway........I've always said a fool & his money etc :rolleyes:

Social source share

Yeah, and I sold it/traded to Perry for £40. Funny thing is, I originally got it off Perry for nowt!!!

Completely agree with your statement about being played out a couple of times (mainly to an 'always' packed dancefloor whatever...like Skeggy) and sometimes certain of these 'ok' and relatively 'untried' records sound fantastic played out loud . Then it's price-hike!

If you go through your collection, I bet you'll find loads that need this

exposure and they will be 3 figures no worry.

Thats my point..........will all the records we all own soon be worth three figures or more..........they are all great, all great dancers, and all are relatively speaking rare - so wheres it all going, whats the outcome. All of the 45s will eventually have their day and so they'll all be worth a kings ransom?????

Only us in the scene buy and sell records at these prices, it is a northern soul scene peculiarity, so we are buying and selling these inflated 45's to each other, round and round in a spiralling expensive whirlwind.

How elistist is that??

That why i put my line about promoting a CD only niter..............Would it knock the wind out of the record dealing culture????? It'll be the guys with the expensive spending habits that kick up the biggest stink, you see. The dealers / dj's will tell you that records are central to the scene, that collecting and the scene go hand in hand, but what is it about the scene that you like......the friendship, travelling, shared experiences??

Food for thought....

Ian

Social source share

Guest Ferrett

It's not elitist. It's bloody barmy.

What happened to Ferret by the way?

ROD

I'm still here!!! Looks like it's not gonna be as easy to find as I hoped. sad.gif

Can't believe the wide variety of prices quoted. I suppose thats because it's known and respected by some, but still unknown by others.

Ken, if you paid £4 for yours, I'll double yer money and offer you £8. Can't say fairer than that. :thumbup:

Is this the longest thread on 'Wants' ever?!?!? :wicked:

Social source share

I'm still here!!! Looks like it's not gonna be as easy to find as I hoped. :P

Can't believe the wide variety of prices quoted. I suppose thats because it's known and respected by some, but still unknown by others.

Ken, if you paid £4 for yours, I'll double yer money and offer you £8. Can't say fairer than that. :unsure:

Is this the longest thread on 'Wants' ever?!?!? :ohmy:

one for sale in sales :lol:

Social source share

Source Advert