Four Tracks...i Got One Of The 100? Off M Spivens

Chuffed to bits to get one of the copies that Mr Spivens has found....only £460. Never thought I'd get it that cheap.

Yes I know market is saturated at the moment with these but they'll soon dissapear into collections never to be seen again!

Just had to have one and what a snip at £460! :yes:

Then again maybe I'm jumping the gun a bit as not in my hands yet! :thumbsup:

Edited by soulechoes
Social source share

• Replies 77
  • Views 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Chuffed to bits to get one of the 24 copies that Mr Spivens has found....only £460. Never thought I'd get it that cheap.

Yes I know market is saturated at the moment with these but they'll soon dissapear into collections never to be seen again!

Just had to have one and what a snip at £460! :D

Then again maybe I'm jumping the gun a bit as not in my hands yet! :thumbsup:

==============================================================================

I would,nt jump for joy yet mate a friend of mine got 4 copies for much less than that :lol::yes:

Social source share

==============================================================================

I would,nt jump for joy yet mate a friend of mine got 4 copies for much less than that :D:yes:

Bugger I'm all deflated now, that euphoria didn't last long....well 13 minutes to be precise....nice whilst it lasted though! :thumbsup:

Edited by soulechoes
Social source share

Bugger I'm all deflated now, that euphoria didn't last long....well 13 minutes to be precise! :thumbsup:

Don't listen to Ian mate. He regularly has me in tears after telling me that all my big tunes have turned up. And that all his are worth thousands. :yes:

He's a lovely bloke really, but very scary when you talk about records with him. :D

Social source share

Don't listen to Ian mate. He regularly has me in tears after telling me that all my big tunes have turned up. And that all his are worth thousands. :thumbsup:

He's a lovely bloke really, but very scary when you talk about records with him. :D

Well I suppose on a personal level I'm glad it's turned up in numbers (did hear 24 but also heard 100!) as it's brought the price range to something I can just about afford. After all it is a record I've wanted for over 20 years and never thought I'd be able to afford a copy. Guess what you pay is always relative to the time and somebody will always get it cheaper (ok I'm trying to make myself feel better now :yes: )

Social source share

there was only 24 see my comments on other thread but even if there had been 100 i doubt it would have made a massive difference to the price as good quality copies were always very hard to come by, have come across a couple of danced on ones in my time but allways a hard record regardless....im bemused that many want to now dumb it down coz a few have been found.....hope it doesnt get relegated to "out on the floor" status by the soul snobs

Geeooooordie

Edited by geordiejohnson
Social source share

• 2 years later...

So do we know how many he had yet? Anyone kept count?

Four Tracks on Mandingo from the guy who sells car number plates on e-bay!!! Word was there were a couple of boxes found. These have been up for grabs,one-a-week,on-and-off for quite a while now.What i find amazing is that they were found in an old Detroit record store.OK.So what else was found in said store? Why wasn't the store cleared out years ago? I dunno,it seems to good to be true.

Social source share

Four Tracks on Mandingo from the guy who sells car number plates on e-bay!!! Word was there were a couple of boxes found. These have been up for grabs,one-a-week,on-and-off for quite a while now.What i find amazing is that they were found in an old Detroit record store.OK.So what else was found in said store? Why wasn't the store cleared out years ago? I dunno,it seems to good to be true.

Heard it was a bric-a-brac shop that closed, he bought all the stock and amongst the junk he managed to find the find of his life!

Just wondered if anyone been keeping count...actually be a bit sad if you had I guess lol

Did hear the figure of 100 but who knows...maybe he'll tell us when he's sold the lot...just glad to own one at last at a price I can (relatively) afford!

Social source share

Heard it was a bric-a-brac shop that closed, he bought all the stock and amongst the junk he managed to find the find of his life!

Just wondered if anyone been keeping count...actually be a bit sad if you had I guess lol

Did hear the figure of 100 but who knows...maybe he'll tell us when he's sold the lot...just glad to own one at last at a price I can (relatively) afford!

You'll be thrilled-to-bits with your investment. I was.Check-out the 'B' side Voodo Man.Far-out!

Social source share

There are always surprises and they can crop up anytime, anywhere and quite often by complete accident. Some of my best-ever hits were in places that had apparently already been hit. Yeah right LOL.....

I remember telling everyone that had ever asked me, that trying to dig L.A. was pointless. Soussan had hit it first and then I went on and cleaned up better than him. So no chance. Forget it.

Several years later, Arthur Fenn went into an L.A. distributor that both myself and Soussan had been to at least 20 times and where I found the original one-off Si Hightower 10" test-pressing. He managed to hit a room that I had never had access to and had one of the best hits of all time. It was embarassing. Those 100 Joe Hicks originals and the first John Hendley could have been mine godammit!

So anything is possible.

Some of the best hits are accidental. After several days of serious digging in the worst parts of L.A. my then partner put her foot down and insisted that we go to the beach for the weekend. The understanding was that there'd be no record digging. So we went to the beach and after a couple of hours I got bored and said I was going to buy an ice lolly. As I walked up the street to look for a place that sold ice lollies I got inexplicably drawn into a 2nd Hand Furniture store and found a goldmine of incredible Northern Soul. It turned out the guy had run a music store in New Jersey throughout the 60's and early 70's and then re-located to L.A. and got into furniture and just put his old record stock in there 'cos he didn't know what else to do with it. I got multiple copies of incredibly rare records but guess what? I left 1000's of other records because I didn't know 'em.

So it doesn't surprise me that some guy that trawls different areas for different stuff for his e-bay sales could well run into a hundred copies of a Northern Soul goodie. That's his job and good luck to him. He got a result.

I'm off out tomorrow, heading into areas I haven't checked before, looking for interesting stuff whilst on the way to have lunch with a mate who lives 30 miles away. I'll probably find something that's valuable and worth picking up along the line. I found £200 worth of Boogie rarities last Saturday locally, so maybe tomorrow I could hit an incredible collection that's just been dumped in a charity shop. I'll be disappointed if I don't........

Lofts and basements are the way to go. I mean, your name is deadwaxdetective so you must know about these things..........:thumbsup:

Ian D :)

Social source share

yes it was from a bric a brac store that closed. he`s sold around 200 copies of the four tracks .. i think he`s just stopped listing them . maybe he`s sold out. he says he has. time will tell. he also sold a couple of hundred fabulous appollos `some good ` on valtone. there were a couple or three mediocre titles that were poor sellers for him................ a couple on tayster. jo armstead was one. the other was a male vocal thing:g:. forget who off the top of my head and summat else not much kop. thats all tho. its been 3 years now since the find

dave

Social source share

AM GOOD MATE, JUST RECOVERED FROM BRID, 200 COPIES STILL, I DONT THINK IS TOO MANY WHEN YOU CONSIDER THE AMOUNT OF COPIES THERE ARE ABOUT OF THE LIKES OF FRAKLIE BEVERLEY ON SASSY, AND AM SURE IT WILL RISE AGAIN AS SOON AS SPIVENS HAS GOT SHUT, WHICH ACCORDING TO HIM WILL BE SHORTLY (WHO CAN BELIEVE HIM THO') AS I DON'T THINK THERE WERE TOO MANY AROUND BEFORE HIS FIND.

REGARDS, BRI PINCH.

Social source share

he said he only had a couple left about a month ago then 3 weeks ago he stopped listing them when he was listing one a week .. as i said earlier he either sold up or he`s not listing any for a while. time will tell if he suddenly finds another box:rolleyes:

dave

Social source share

• 5 months later...

he said he only had a couple left about a month ago then 3 weeks ago he stopped listing them when he was listing one a week .. as i said earlier he either sold up or he`s not listing any for a while. time will tell if he suddenly finds another box:rolleyes:

dave

6 NEW COPIES HAVE APPEARED ON EBAY TODAY :thumbsup:

https://shop.ebay.co.uk/m.spivens/m.html

Edited by NEV
Social source share

Bugger I'm all deflated now, that euphoria didn't last long....well 13 minutes to be precise....nice whilst it lasted though! :no:

Dont worry i paid more than 3 times you paid for it 2 weeks later Spivens hit ebay :lol:

DJ

Social source share

All at $201.50 with different total of bidders on.

Am i missing something or is this f@cker bumping his records up with the help of others?

eBay user y***9s.gif( 264iconTealStar_25x25.gif) bidded $199 on all of them, now he's been outbid, hence similar prices. Probably helping a mate, probably wanted them all.

Edited by Dante
Social source share

All at $201.50 with different total of bidders on.

Am i missing something or is this f@cker bumping his records up with the help of others?

he says they are the last copy's.

funny that cause he said the same on his e bay auctions in september - july - may - spring

why do I not believe him.

he has been VERY clever bleeding these out the way he has.

And they keep on coming

Social source share

Guest franky m

This spiv should get a marketing award for his ebay sales skills , long after Clare hardy , Royal Esquires ect have crashed in price this guy still seems to reel them in for big $$$ he must have sold shed loads !!! :(

Social source share

This spiv should get a marketing award for his ebay sales skills , long after Clare hardy , Royal Esquires ect have crashed in price this guy still seems to reel them in for big $$$ he must have sold shed loads !!! :ohmy:

Yeah! If You Had A Quid For Every one He's Sold It Would Be A Nice Drink For Christmas! :D:lol:

Edited by mrtag
Social source share

This spiv should get a marketing award for his ebay sales skills , long after Clare hardy , Royal Esquires ect have crashed in price this guy still seems to reel them in for big $$ he must have sold shed loads !!! :lol:

I think that has to do with the quality of this record and not salesmanship. it will go back up too after he runs out, it probably will never be $4000 again though.

Social source share

I think that has to do with the quality of this record and not salesmanship. it will go back up too after he runs out, it probably will never be $4000 again though.

The Royal Esquires is a better record for me ! Its just all the copys of that arrived everywhere at the same time.

I think this guy has been a total expert.

bleeding them out over the last couple of years now.

leaving it a few weeks

another one or two.

always making out these are his last copys.

fooking genius

look at popsike

and still they keep coming !!

Social source share

Anyone with half a brain and collects rare soul can see exactly what he has been doing over the last couple of years so who is to blame for the prices paid?

If they don't know it is the same seller they can still see that this record has been a permanent fixture on ebay for the last couple of years.

Who's fault is it these prices are being paid?

Social source share

The Royal Esquires is a better record for me ! Its just all the copys of that arrived everywhere at the same time.

I think this guy has been a total expert.

bleeding them out over the last couple of years now.

leaving it a few weeks

another one or two.

always making out these are his last copys.

fooking genius

look at popsike

and still they keep coming !!

I don't think listing six at a time is clever market strategy ..and it's not the 1st time he's done it .

Granted he's made a lot of money out of the lot he's sold so far ,but on the same token ,he alone has brough the price down.

Social source share

I don't think listing six at a time is clever market strategy ..and it's not the 1st time he's done it .

Granted he's made a lot of money out of the lot he's sold so far ,but on the same token ,he alone has brough the price down.

it is christmas

anyway, its down to less than 300 quid now on e bay.

at least the lads who found the royal esquires put the whole lot out over 6 months.

I suppose they could have tried and dripped that big box out over a few years, but they didn't.

Both of these 45s are still outstanding records IMO.

But I would not touch the four tracks for over 80 quid

I reckon there is more to come !

Social source share

it is christmas

anyway, its down to less than 300 quid now on e bay.

at least the lads who found the royal esquires put the whole lot out over 6 months.

I suppose they could have tried and dripped that big box out over a few years, but they didn't.

Both of these 45s are still outstanding records IMO.

But I would not touch the four tracks for over 80 quid

I reckon there is more to come !

I Think You're Right on The Money With This One Mossy More To Come! yes.gifthumbsup.gif

Social source share

Now this may be a daft question but, Mandingo Productions, Four Tracks.

Well where are the other two tracks?

One release, two tracks, are the other two tracks 'in the can' / unreleased??? Get my drift?

Anyone know the full story behind Mandingo, I know there are suggestions that link it to Golden World, but where are the other two intended tracks????

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert