Cd Swap May 2008

OK Guys, its that time again..a new swap with the theme "Records you would never part with...any era, any genre"....

The rules are as follows....

1.You must email me on chris.soul@btinternet.com (no PMs) and send me the following info...Your name and address and your email address....Please title the email "CD swap". You will get an email back from me confirming your inclusion.

2. The thread will close on Wednesday night or when a maximum of 30 people have joined the swap.

3. Before the end of the week i will email everyone the whole list of addresses then its time to record and copy your CD.

4. Send your CD with a full track listing to everyone on the list.

5. If you think you are not going to be able to record a CD and copy it 29 times sometime in the next few weeks then PLEASE DO NOT JOIN THE SWAP!

5. Wait for 29 other tasty CDs to start dropping thru your letter box and enjoy the soul!

I will not be chasing anyone this time...please read the instructions and follow them...and dont PM me!

OK...thats about it...

I`ll look forward to the emails coming in...

Chris.

Social source share

• Replies 265
  • Views 15k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I've never sold anything, traded some stuff and instantly regretted it and have vowed never to let anything go again.....ever.......until my family prise them from my cold dead hands.

So in scope for this one......everything in my collection :(

Can i have extended time to work it out please :no:

Only kidding, have decided 50% of the content already.

Social source share

Off the top of my head we have about half of the thirty places taken up now, some real quality collections in there too!

Really looking forward to this one.

i`ll post an update tonight of who is in so far.

Chris

Count me in guys - I'll email Chris tomorrow morning.

Sounds like a brilliant idea - there should be 30 fantastic CD's :P

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Still almost half of the spots up for grabs...dont be emailing me on Thursday begging to be included!

So far..

Cliff Steele

Tony Turner

Sean hampsey

Bully

Chris Anderton

Steve Plumb

Alan Brannan

John McCrae

Jerry Welsh

Andy Taylor

John LLoyd

Mark George

Patrick Biggerstaff

John Reed

Alan Townson

Derek Jack

If you think you have sent me an email and you are not on the list please let me know....

Cheers, Chris

Social source share

Still almost half of the spots up for grabs...dont be emailing me on Thursday begging to be included!

So far..

Cliff Steele

Tony Turner

Sean hampsey

Bully

Chris Anderton

Steve Plumb

Alan Brannan

John McCrae

Jerry Welsh

Andy Taylor

John LLoyd

Mark George

Patrick Biggerstaff

John Reed

Alan Townson

Derek Jack

If you think you have sent me an email and you are not on the list please let me know....

Cheers, Chris

That's a better line up than the team facing Barcelona tonight and with Sir Les as our very own Ronaldo it don't get much better than that :thumbsup:

Pat Biggerstaff

Social source share

Pat even if Rooney wasn't out injured, Man U. Could NOT match the Striking Trio of Hampsey Tats & Plumby :P

Come to think of it, I was pretty good at Striking myself.......... 1984/5

MINERS STRIKE!!!!!!!!!!

SOUL NOT COAL now mate :thumbsup:

Best

Bully!

Edited by Bully Boy
Social source share

Pat even if Rooney wasn't out injured, Man U. Could NOT match the Striking Trio of Hampsey Tats & Plumby :thumbup:

Best

Bully!

Nice one bulmeisterian1 :thumbup:

You'd be our holding midfield man......the heartbeat of the team, taking in the Soul and distributing it to your fellow team members :thumbup:

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Nice one bulmeisterian1 :thumbup:

You'd be our holding midfield man......the heartbeat of the team, taking in the Soul and distributing it to your fellow team members biggrin.gif

Cheers

Steve

Agree Stevie!

If good taste was measured by the pound, The Bull would be an absolute Monster!

Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Come to think of it............. :no:

:thumbup:

Top man Bully!

:thumbup:

Sean

Social source share

Guest Les F

OK guys, being a virgin multi-cd swapper, and seeing the list of luminaries aleady on board, I know how Fergie feels with the "Mighty Blues" breathing down his neck!! And thanks, Pat, for the hype, not helping!(I assume your ref. to Sir Les was aimed at moi!) Gonna have to dig deep for this? Really looking forward to receiving, 'specially Bully, 'cos I know he likes his deep soul!! :wicked:

Social source share

its not fair I can't play because I'm a girl thats a wee big bit technophobic...

I would however love a copy of a cd from many of the fine gentlemen that have added there names to the list (especially the SE attendees)

in return I can offer you... a place in my heart, a squeal of delight and a great big kiss whenever I see you out anywhere :wicked:

pretty please

Social source share

OK, two more vetrans just joined in the shape of Fraser and Ady Pountain..

Just a reminder...I NEED YOUR INFORMATION BY EMAIL!!! If you aint emailed me...you are not in...!

Dont want to get anal about it, just easier to send all the details out.....

Just a handful of places left...I`ll be closing this tomorrow evening and emailing the addresses out too.

Also had a request that when you send your CDs out you include your name with them...seems more than a reasonable request to me!

Chris.

Social source share

g.gif Just a thought,could the more technically minded amongst us post their choices online as a podcast for others to download ?

I know this is nowhere near as exciting as a pile of CDs dropping through your letterbox, but think of the time saved doing multiple copies, not to mention the expence of blank Cd's, stamps and mailers.

Dave

OK Guys, its that time again..a new swap with the theme "Records you would never part with...any era, any genre"....

The rules are as follows....

1.You must email me on chris.soul@btinternet.com (no PMs) and send me the following info...Your name and address and your email address....Please title the email "CD swap". You will get an email back from me confirming your inclusion.

2. The thread will close on Wednesday night or when a maximum of 30 people have joined the swap.

3. Before the end of the week i will email everyone the whole list of addresses then its time to record and copy your CD.

4. Send your CD with a full track listing to everyone on the list.

5. If you think you are not going to be able to record a CD and copy it 29 times sometime in the next few weeks then PLEASE DO NOT JOIN THE SWAP!

5. Wait for 29 other tasty CDs to start dropping thru your letter box and enjoy the soul!

I will not be chasing anyone this time...please read the instructions and follow them...and dont PM me!

OK...thats about it...

I`ll look forward to the emails coming in...

Chris.

Social source share

"Records you would never part with...any era, any genre"

Don't know who thought of this (didn't read the last posts on the old thread) BUT the more i think of it the more i think this will be the best CD swap ever!

Cheers

Steve

yeah Steve got to agree with you mate great idea for the next cd swap.

best fraser

fdsoul6345789

Social source share

Don't know who thought of this (didn't read the last posts on the old thread) BUT the more i think of it the more i think this will be the best CD swap ever!

Cheers

Steve

Hiya Steve & Everybody Else,

Hope that you are well mate ............... I think that we should re-name the CD Swap "Desert Island Discs". I compiled one (Trying Not To Put Things On, that I know have been on previous swaps), but when I spoke with Tats about it, we went through certain records I had included and he said that ain't really a desert island disc.... And I had to Agree with him. Therefore I felt if you could only have a disc full o records...then which would they be.....now that is HARD. But I feel that the quality will be better. Like someone said on here earlier, I ain't never sold anything that I aint got two copies off, so any item in my collection could be included. But "Desert Island Discs" really does Narrow Things Down don't you feel.... QUALITY all the way :rolleyes:

JUST A THOUGHT!

Best

The Bulmeister :D

Social source share

OK guys, being a virgin multi-cd swapper, and seeing the list of luminaries aleady on board, I know how Fergie feels with the "Mighty Blues" breathing down his neck!! And thanks, Pat, for the hype, not helping!(I assume your ref. to Sir Les was aimed at moi!)

Certainly was Sir Les :D

Pat

Social source share

HI Guys, OK...we have 27 people up for the swap right now...

I`ll be sending the addresses out later by email...

Just 3 more vacancies, the swap will be closed when i email out the addresses weather we have 30 or not, there will be no late additions after that.....BUT....there are still 4 places up for grabs for what promises to be quality swap!

The Full list is as follows...

Cliff Steele

Tony Turner

Sean hampsey

Bully

Chris Anderton

Steve Plumb

Alan Brannan

John McCrae

Jerry Welsh

Andy Taylor

John LLoyd

Mark George

Patrick Biggerstaff

John Reed

Alan Townson

Derek Jack

Rob Kay

Adam Topping

Leslie Fisher

Johnny Fingers

Dave Lucas

Fraser Dunn

Mick Tamblin

Sean Oconnor

Ady Pountain

Graham Dexter

Ismael Garcia

Social source share

Hiya Steve & Everybody Else,

Hope that you are well mate ............... I think that we should re-name the CD Swap "Desert Island Discs". I compiled one (Trying Not To Put Things On, that I know have been on previous swaps), but when I spoke with Tats about it, we went through certain records I had included and he said that ain't really a desert island disc.... And I had to Agree with him. Therefore I felt if you could only have a disc full o records...then which would they be.....now that is HARD. But I feel that the quality will be better. Like someone said on here earlier, I ain't never sold anything that I aint got two copies off, so any item in my collection could be included. But "Desert Island Discs" really does Narrow Things Down don't you feel.... QUALITY all the way :rolleyes:

JUST A THOUGHT!

Best

The Bulmeister :D

Hi Bull,

Although the title of the swap is "Records You Would Never Part With" I read that to mean "Records You Could Not Live Without!"

I realise that there's only a slight difference in emphasis, but I'm pretty sure that everyone on the swap will compile the CD in that manner.

I know I will.

For example... I would never part with my copy of 'Skinhead Moon Stomp' which I bought as a lad, back in 1969... but if in a Friday Night Moonstomping session it got broke in two halves, I probably wouldn't rush to replace it.

However, if a certain Jackie Wilson 45 of mine got accidentally buggered under a vicious gramophone stylus, I'd be chasing a new copy before the weekend, cos its a "Record I Could Not Live Without!".

All agree?

:rolleyes:

Sean

Social source share

"Records You Could Not Live Without!"

"Desert Island Discs"

what ever way you wrap it up, its gonna be class :D

as a cd swop virgin, i'm gonna have to dig deep :rolleyes: , and hope i don't let myself down :rolleyes: .

i don't want to disappoint anyone :D

alan

Social source share

Hi Bull,

Although the title of the swap is "Records You Would Never Part With" I read that to mean "Records You Could Not Live Without!"

I realise that there's only a slight difference in emphasis, but I'm pretty sure that everyone on the swap will compile the CD in that manner.

I know I will.

For example... I would never part with my copy of 'Skinhead Moon Stomp' which I bought as a lad, back in 1969... but if in a Friday Night Moonstomping session it got broke in two halves, I probably wouldn't rush to replace it.

However, if a certain Jackie Wilson 45 of mine got accidentally buggered under a vicious gramophone stylus, I'd be chasing a new copy before the weekend, cos its a "Record I Could Not Live Without!".

All agree?

:D

Sean

Sounds good to me Sean :rolleyes:

On reflection my thought for the CD theme was flawed :rolleyes: ........whilst rumaging through shelves and boxes it dawned on me that quite a lot of my "couldn't live without" records are not exactly unknown. I couldn't live without Robert Parker "Caught You In A Lie" or Betty Everett "Getting Mighty Crowded" :D ...but I wouldn't include them on the CD :no:

Social source share

Guest Les F

Sounds good to me Sean thumbsup.gif

On reflection my thought for the CD theme was flawed :thumbsup: ........whilst rumaging through shelves and boxes it dawned on me that quite a lot of my "couldn't live without" records are not exactly unknown. I couldn't live without Robert Parker "Caught You In A Lie" or Betty Everett "Getting Mighty Crowded" :lol: ...but I wouldn't include them on the CD :no:

Good point Cliff, out of 29 cd's on that subject, how many tracks are we not gonna know or already love? Does there need to be a theme at all? Personally I would love to get 29 cd's chock full of tunes I don't know, even it did mean inevitable additions to the old "wants". Thought that was the point of the swap? As a new boy though, tell me to shut up if ya want :sleep3: Nothing can upset me today after last nights triumph at The Bridge! Moscow in Spring. Can't wait! Come on you Blues!!

Social source share

Hi Bull,

I know I will.

All agree?

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Sean,

Yeh Yeh Yeh Yeh Yeeeeehhhhhhhhh!

Gone Down in my book Mate ...... When you told me you used to be a Rude Boy ......... I didn't think you meant a Crombie Type :sleep3:

Thought You were bragging about your Youthful Exploits!

Jus' Kiddin' Mate

Bully :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest shaun evans

Bull,

Go Fukc Yourself!

:lol:

:g:

:no:

:thumbsup:

:sleep3:

Of course... I'm Jus' Kiddin' Mate too!

thumbsup.gif

Sean

:no: chris emailed you

Social source share

Sounds good to me Sean thumbsup.gif

On reflection my thought for the CD theme was flawed :thumbsup: ........whilst rumaging through shelves and boxes it dawned on me that quite a lot of my "couldn't live without" records are not exactly unknown. I couldn't live without Robert Parker "Caught You In A Lie" or Betty Everett "Getting Mighty Crowded" :lol: ...but I wouldn't include them on the CD :no:

All of mine are known and none are particularly rare.

But I thought that was the idea. :sleep3:

They all hold special memories for me and thats why I'm including them.

I'm sure the majority of CD's will be in a similar vein but hopefully not too many duplicates.

Social source share

OK Guys, 29 in total with the late addition of Sean and Val...

There will be no more late additions!!

Tabs, you put whatever you want on your CD mate, its open to personal interpretation...thats the beauty of having a theme.

Had the first two Cds already, Bully and John Reed....quality stuff guys...may all Cds be as good at these!!!

Cheers, Chris.

Social source share

I read that the CD swap was a Dersert Island Disc scenario. The tunes I've put on my CD are ones that I would never give up, including a recent purchase which has gone straight into my top 10. All of them are known, and either bring back fond or sad memories that hold a special place in my heart.

Looking at the participents in the swap, there's probably not one record in my collection that they don't have, so what would be the point of entering the swap? Why would people like Sean, Plumby, Tats, etc (appologies for not naming everyone) enter if they were only looking to hear tunes they don't know, collectively the participents probably own virtually evey soul record that exists.

It would be really sad if people only entered into the swap just to show off what big tunes they have and that it turned into a game of oneupmanship. Anyone with a bit of money could turn round and think, I'll show em, call up Tim Brown or John Manship spend £10-15 grand just to show off. For me soul music isn't that at all.

The creation of these CD is a labour or love, well it is for me and I've found it more exciting getting a CD through the post than when I recieve most records i've bought, because its a surprise. So what if the CD has records you already have, upon listening you may think, blimey I'd forgotten how good that was or the opposite.

So make em your Desert Island Disc's or tunes you'll never tire of or would sell, with rarity and value inmaterial, who cares if your favourite tune is worth £3 or 3 grand or is in everybodies collection.

Social source share

OK Guys, 29 in total with the late addition of Sean and Val...

There will be no more late additions!!

Tabs, you put whatever you want on your CD mate, its open to personal interpretation...thats the beauty of having a theme.

Had the first two Cds already, Bully and John Reed....quality stuff guys...may all Cds be as good at these!!!

Cheers, Chris.

Cheers Chris,

As I said nothing on mine will create a stampede.

But I'd like to think they are all quality. thumbup.gif

Any era, any genre as the thread said.

Still sorting mine.

A lot more difficult than I originally thought.

Best

Tabs

Social source share

Total agreement. yes.gif

That was my understanding on this swop and why I'm doing it.

It's all about memories (good and bad) and records you can't (won't) ever get rid of.

Ego tripping not allowed. :ohmy:

I read that the CD swap was a Dersert Island Disc scenario. The tunes I've put on my CD are ones that I would never give up, including a recent purchase which has gone straight into my top 10. All of them are known, and either bring back fond or sad memories that hold a special place in my heart.

Looking at the participents in the swap, there's probably not one record in my collection that they don't have, so what would be the point of entering the swap? Why would people like Sean, Plumby, Tats, etc (appologies for not naming everyone) enter if they were only looking to hear tunes they don't know, collectively the participents probably own virtually evey soul record that exists.

It would be really sad if people only entered into the swap just to show off what big tunes they have and that it turned into a game of oneupmanship. Anyone with a bit of money could turn round and think, I'll show em, call up Tim Brown or John Manship spend £10-15 grand just to show off. For me soul music isn't that at all.

The creation of these CD is a labour or love, well it is for me and I've found it more exciting getting a CD through the post than when I recieve most records i've bought, because its a surprise. So what if the CD has records you already have, upon listening you may think, blimey I'd forgotten how good that was or the opposite.

So make em your Desert Island Disc's or tunes you'll never tire of or would sell, with rarity and value inmaterial, who cares if your favourite tune is worth £3 or 3 grand or is in everybodies collection.

Social source share

Exactly right John...just put on there tunes that you love and will never let go....thats all its about..

I drove back from Manchester today playing Bullys CD, I know about 50% of the tunes on one particular CD but when did i last get to (or bother to) hear them?.....but there they were, quality soul tunes back to back...I was "in the zone" just listening to some great soul mucic and enjoyed this particular soul session as much as i had enjoyed any CD or any spot at a venue in the last 5 years!

Its not about showing off...never has been on this swap. Sure, put some rarities on if you like but they better be great tunes too!

Enjoy...

Chris.

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

OK, The addresses have now been emailed out...if you have`nt received them by email please let me know....

Sorry, this swap is now closed...

Cheers, Chris.

Oh bugger, missed this thread would have loved to have joined in........ and at least I actually send discs out.... sad.gif

Social source share

Your last paragraph accentuates and embraces exactly, for me, the intention of the theme for this CD swap. It doesn't have to require a mortgage to purchase a superb record (of which there are hundreds, or thousands maybe ) but at the same time there are also hundreds of superb records that DO cost vast amounts of money !!

Price attachment should be discounted, entirely, from the compiling process when assessing inclusion for final end product. I believe 'Quality' should take precedence over cost - any day of the week. But it doesn't mean that because big money discs are included (which is inevitable, really) they should be viewed in a context of the Composer trying to gain any type of 'One-Upmanship'. Instead - judged on the individual merits of the record. After all.. with some of these 'Rare' items, there simply aren't enough copies available to allow other people the benefit of hearing, on a regular basis, a class tune thay might adore. Should they be denied that opportunity ?? Of course not !!

Nuff said.. On with The Swap !!

Fingers.. shades.gif

Edited by FickleFingers
Social source share

Your last paragraph accentuates and embraces exactly, for me, the intention of the theme for this CD swap. It doesn't have to require a mortgage to purchase a superb record (of which there are hundreds, or thousands maybe ) but at the same time there are also hundreds of superb records that DO cost vast amounts of money !!

Price attachment should be discounted, entirely, from the compiling process when assessing inclusion for final end product. I believe 'Quality' should take precedence over cost - any day of the week. But it doesn't mean that because big money discs are included (which is inevitable, really) they should be viewed in a context of the Composer trying to gain any type of 'One-Upmanship'. Instead - judged on the individual merits of the record. After all.. with some of these 'Rare' items, there simply aren't enough copies available to allow other people the benefit of hearing, on a regular basis, a class tune thay might adore. Should they be denied that opportunity ?? Of course not !!

Nuff said.. On with The Swap !!

Fingers.. :ohmy:

I have picked up loads of Cheap Superb Soul Tunes as a result of the previous swaps :lol:

I think a lot of people now have Clouded Judgement on Soul Music, they prefer to chase the "Big Tunes" when half of them do not know the Super Cheap tunes that are available. I am Not saying that anybody knows everything, but there are more Super Cheap tunes out there that seem to be over looked because they do Not Command Big Money. I Feel that Fingers has Hit The Nail right on the head.

RARITY does not always mean QUALITY!

And I can tell you from experience in the previous swaps, it is great when there is an Unknown record to you on a CD,

that is a fiver :)

Well Said Fingers

Bully thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Really looking forward to getting all the CDs through and I agree with Tabs and Fingers etc...quality is the one factor in deciding which tracks I'll be including. Hope to have all mine posted out at the end of next week....was hoping to get them done this week but have been delayed by my computer deciding that it wanted to fry it's processor and hard disc :lol::lol::)

New computer now in place and I'm in the process of rescuing all my music files (along with 40GB of data) from a somewhat f*cked hard disc......lesson to be learned MAKE SURE ALL YOUR IMPORTANT STUFF IS BACKED UP.....as it's a bloody nightmare when things go wrong :unsure:

Adam.

Social source share

Hear hear to all those last few posts as they ALL sum up this little gang of CD swappers.

I've loved all three swaps and have benefitted in the folowing ways-

1 I've had a reminder of how brilliant certain tunes are and have been able to dig them out of the collection and play them at home and abroad!

2 I've heard some brilliant tunes that i didn't know that i've since picked up for either pence and in some cases quite a few pounds!

3 I've heard some brilliant tunes that I'm still looking for!

4 I've had the pleasure of listening to many well crafted, well put together CD's that encompass all the first three ways above!

Anyone who says they know everything about Soul Music be lying their ass off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

After nearly 40 years of collecting you think there can't be much left to hear.

But no, these cd swaps have introduced new gems to me.

In fact each cd has always contained at least one track that has blown me away, and is immeadiatly a must have.

This time straight out of the blocks comes John Reed with Marvin L Sims with " Hurting Inside ".

I'm driving the wife mad as I'm now playing it for the 10th. time in a row.

IF

Social source share

Guest shaun evans

After nearly 40 years of collecting you think there can't be much left to hear.

But no, these cd swaps have introduced new gems to me.

In fact each cd has always contained at least one track that has blown me away, and is immeadiatly a must have.

This time straight out of the blocks comes John Reed with Marvin L Sims with " Hurting Inside ".

I'm driving the wife mad as I'm now playing it for the 10th. time in a row.

IF

smile.gif really looking forward to this my first swap :)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert