Cd Swap May 2008

• Replies 265
  • Views 15.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

After my CD recorder messing me about (twice - completely wiped out, first 7 then 16, tracks from my 'Master' disc) I am pleased to announce my offering is complete and is currently in mass copy mode !! So.. all my mailings will see arrival throughout next week.

Made it something a bit 'different' in that all tracks are lifted ONLY from LP's. Some nice alternate versions of a few things, some are LP only.. plus it includes an educational aspect - in the form of information as to some of what is actually out there in LP format (& an idea as to some things available from 'other' countries). Have tried to cover a broad spectrum of tastes in the hope there is something for everyone.

For the benefit of those reading this thread that aren't privvy to 'The Swap' I include details of my compilation below, Don't know if it's correct 'etiquette' for these swaps - but, if anyone NOT in the swap fancies a copy of my CD.. just let me know & I'll gladly run a copy off !!

Ta.. Fingers :huh:

post-10024-1211049046_thumb.jpg post-10024-1211049189_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Made it something a bit 'different' in that all tracks are lifted ONLY from LP's.

A man after my own heart ! Albums, just so many hidden tracks !

Edited by Gavin Page
Social source share

Mine have been dropped into the mailbox this very morning. I had to put everyones CD to one side while i racked my brains what to put on it, in the end i went for a desert island discs approach. I thought if i were marooned and had just one CD to remind me of all the stuff in my collection what would i have on it. So it starts with some oldies then slips into a bit of crossover then moves into the later 70's early 80's and as i restrictied myself to 7"s thats as late as it gets.

I agree with Chris, another album only swap later in the years sounds ggrrreeeaaat!

Have listened to 4 or 5 so far and once again have been struck by the range of soul music and everyones taste in it.

Only hope mines lives up to the quality my ears are drowning in at the moment (desert island again laugh.gif )

Social source share

mine are going out wednesday morning

just got back from a week in norfolk

had some blinding cds received already thansk guys wonderful listening

ive gone for a desert island chill out session hope you like it

just got my playlist to type up

thanks sean

Social source share

Received Cliffs and Johnnys this morning...just playing Cliffs now and I played Tats Cd earlier...classy stuff as i would have expected from these two guys!

Gonna give Johnnys and Emjay a spin next.

Must say i have loved some of the presentation you guys have come up with. I really must learn how to do all that stuff before the next swap!

Keep em coming...

Chris.

ps, anyone been keeping count? I really meant to do it this time.

pps, I was out with trafficmaster a couple of weeks ago and he was road-testing his then...not sure whats happened to it!

Social source share

Received Cliffs and Johnnys this morning...just playing Cliffs now and I played Tats Cd earlier...classy stuff as i would have expected from these two guys!

Gonna give Johnnys and Emjay a spin next.

Must say i have loved some of the presentation you guys have come up with. I really must learn how to do all that stuff before the next swap!

Keep em coming...

Chris.

ps, anyone been keeping count? I really meant to do it this time.

pps, I was out with trafficmaster a couple of weeks ago and he was road-testing his then...not sure whats happened to it!

12 received thus far Chris.

I've still yet to check out Dave McRae's - it arrived day's ago.. SORRY DAVE !! and Emjay's arrived this morning. Probably put them on the deck for the drives to Burnley and Worcester this weekend (plus any that might arrive in the interim).

My only comment thus far is to praise all the individuals for, seemingly, 'sticking to their guns' with play selections - certainly no displays of 'one-upmanship' which I'm very pleased about. Q-U-A-L-I-T-Y !!

Fingers..

Social source share

Had another 6 CD's arrive over the last couple of days.

Thats 15 I've had in total.

Thanks Mark G, Tats, Ismael, John McRae, Cliff S and Johnny Fingers.

Just got to find the time to listen to them. :lol:

The quality and variety has been simply stunning.

Cheers all.

Best

Tabs

Social source share

Got Cliff Steele's today .......... Now that is PROPER ain't it :D

Unlimited Four........FOOK ME .... When I woke up it was Tuesday :D

SLAYED ME :yes:

Well not many things do?

apart from Johnny Nelson........ I will say it before Sean Hampsey does :yes:

Social source share

Dragging my heels a bit but I've finished the CD, tracklisting is below.

1. The Serenaders-If Your Heart Says Yes-VIP 45 Bought off John Manship when he still had his video shop in Melton Mowbray, "rare one this" said John, then laughed as I found 4 copies in a pile. This is a bit of early Motown that I love, not sure if it's really had its share of turntable action. Super catchy and mid to uptempo with great backing vocals I never tire of hearing this.

2. The Carltons-I'm A Man-Argo 45 First heard this at Stafford circa 1985. Chris King was playing it covered up as 'Melvin Davis-The Lonely Man' it didn't take me too long to find out what it was and bag myself a copy. Lovely harmonies and arrangement, it's not super hard to track down as it's not one that people seem to remember very well. For me it's the best Carltons 45 although I know people like the other Argo tracks by them. I have always been surprised that it has not made any of the Chess compilation CDs.

3. The Shufflers-Always Be Mine-Crackerjack 45 Another from the Stafford era and a pretty well known track that doesn't go for mega bucks. This was typical of the 'new breed' of tunes that was getting played in the early 80's to the benefit of the scene. A big voiced record with a relatively sparse accompaniment, truly great.

4. Lorraine Chandler-Tell Me You're Mine-RCA 45 Also released on Giant of course and I believe it was the first disc to carry the words 'Pied Piper Production'. A crisp Detroit production, everybody must love this one and Lorraine must be one of everybody's favourite vocalists, certainly ranks up there with Brenda Holloway, Linda Jones and Gladys Knight for me. Sheer perfection, play loud!

5. The Four Tops-Without The One You Love-Motown 45 The Tops are my favourite motown group, this is perhaps not my favourite track by them but it is nevertheless indispensable. It was the first 45 I bought by them from the Birmingham Rag Market when I was still at school and most of my peers were buying Haircut 100 and the like. I was the one that walked round with a tape blaring trying to indoctrinate people, some people still remember me as 'Northern Soul Tony' apparently. Could be worse I suppose.

6. The Little Foxes-Love Made To Order-Okeh 45 I first heard this on Richard Searling's Sunday soul program on Jazz FM in the early 90's. Probably better known for the other side 'So Glad Your Love Don't Change' this is a lovely swooping floating ballad. It took me a few weeks to find a copy after I heard it and I have continued to spin it regularly. Again a surprise that it has not been featured on any Okeh package by the CD compilers. Vol 3 Ady?

7. The Quotations-Havin' A Good Time-Imperial 45 Regularly listed by Soul Bowl in the early 80's I have never heard this played out, I wonder if it got spins in the 70's? I first heard it when a guy from Barnsley put it on tape for me and I couldn't stop it from repeat plays inside my head, I think I paid a quid for it. I believe that it is still quite easy to find now, but not in any danger of being a fashionable tune.

8. Carla Thomas-Love Among People-Stax 45 Bought from Glen Bellamy about 4 years ago after hearing it on a CD that I think Colin Dilnot made. A beautiful mid tempo item with flute, strings, keyboard and brass all accompanied by Carla's lovely voice. If you do not already know this one then you are in for a treat.

9. Webster Lewis-Do It With Style-Epic 45 I first heard this when Dave Evison used to guest on Terry Christian's Barbed Wireless programme on BBC Radio Derby in the 80's. It featured in a listener's top 3 that also featured The Voicebox on Loma and Jackie Wilson-I'm The One To Do It, quite an imaginative top 3. I then bought it that weekend at Stafford for 50p. For me it's the pick of the bunch from a number of brilliant Webster Lewis tracks and still cheap. Buy it.

10. Main Ingredient-Have You Ever Tried It-RCA LP From the Euphrates River LP and also done by Ashford and Simpson which I remember hearing a few times at Albrighton. I've never heard this version played out though and yet it is more 'Northern' in style. I bought it at a car boot at the school next to my Mum and Dads for a pound. The LP also includes It Looks Like Rain which is also brill.

11. David Martin-You're Mighty Right-Rekord (Blue Copy)45 Again played at Stafford although never really a monster record, I'm sure it was Richard Searling and also Dave Thorley that used to play it. Atmospheric intro in the mid-70's talking style it has been released on a couple of label variants on Rekord but I'm not sure if the recording is identical. Also I can't remember where I got it from.

12. Spanky Wilson-Easy Lover-Westbound LP Apparently the LP is supposed to be very rare, cost me £1 from a market in Leicester. I could see this being a big tune one day, catchy and quite Northern in style. The LP is called 'Speciality Of The House', Spanky is reviving her career a bit with the Quantic Soul Orchestra on the modern funk scene.

13. James & Truitt with Black Smoke-What's Wrong With It-Juca 45 More from Stafford this got plays by both Dave Thorley and Pat Brady but was never huge. I was as impressed by the artist and title as the tune and it took me about 6 years to find one from Voices From The Shadows. Largely forgotten about I think this has tremendous atmosphere, is it Johnny Truitt?

14. Leroy Hutson-Ella Weez-Curtom 45 One of the giants of Soul music with too many great tracks to mention I never hear this one talked about. I first heard it on a tape made by Paul Harpin leant to me by Tim Fletcher from Coventry. I love the vibes and strings, this is probably Leroy's most Northern record? Still doesn't cost a lot and should be revived without delay.

15. James Wells-Baby I'm Still The Same Man-UK Polydor 45 Possibly a bit contentious because of the Levine connection that should not detract from what is a great record. I bought it for 20p from the Birmingham Rag Market after hearing it on Dave Evison's spot on BBC Derby, I have occasionally heard it at nighters too so perhaps it doesn't have credibility problems. Not too long to become boring it is a storming dance record with a great vocal, we're supposed to like them aren't we?

16. Bill Brandon-You Made My Life So Bright-Prelude 45 I first heard this when it was taped for me by Steve Kilgour from Doncaster, he made me so many great tapes of things that are now monster records and impossible to get. Does anybody know where he is? Bill Brandon is now super in vogue but this cheapie does not get the acknowledgement that it deserves. I'd be very surprised if some of you don't try to track this down after listening to it.

17. Carloyn Crawford-If You Move You Lose-PIR 45 Supposedly very rare I bought it for $1 along with a load of other PIR 45s when on holiday in Orlando with my family, I didn't know it at the time and was very pleased when I got home and was able to play it. It's since been reissued and I've seen it discussed a lot on the internet so I did well. I think it's a bit of a one-off type recording and very cherished.

18. Omni-Keys To The City-Fountain 45 I found a bootleg copy of this credited to David Porter with Velvet Hammer-Happy on the other side when I was still at school and rummaging for records in Birmingham. At the time I was strictly into 60's and the Omni track was probably the first 70's track that I got a taste for, 26 years later and I still love it and know it to have a been a Searling spin at the tail end of Wigan. I've still got a copy of Velvet hammer somewhere too.

19. New York Community Choir-Help-Myrrh LP Gospel time with this early 80's floater. This was first brought to my attention by someone on the Soul Talk forum a few years ago and was then quite easy to pick up. NYCC made a few albums but I have no idea what the others are like, I haven't listened to this album for a long time as I mp3'd this tune. Copies are out there so if you like it.......

20. Tommy Tate-If I gave You My Heart-Sundance 45 In the mid 80's some friends and me used to run a Northern night at the Barrel Organ in Birmingham, Tim Fletcher from Coventry used to come a do a DJ spot and this was one of the tunes that he used to play. The other side 'What Gives You The Right' makes this an excellent double sider in my opinion. I think that this was released in about 1984 and was probably a bit dated even at the time of release, but that just makes it more endearing to us rare soul collectors.

21. Sam Green-You Are-D&G LP This was put on a CD for me by Roger Williams and I immediately bought one from Craig Moerer. It also features Scherrie Payne and is just superb, released on an obscure label in 1989 but sounding much earlier, the rest of the album is not as good but worth the £6 that I paid. Everybody that I've played it to rates it and hopefully you will too.

22. Ann Nesby-I'll Be Your Everything-Perspective CD Excellent track much talked about at the time of release, I have never grown tired of this. There's another cracker on the CD in the form of 'In The Spirit'. Ann was the vocalist from The Sounds Of Blackness of course. I still think of this as contemporary soul but it's 12 years old now. I remember hearing In The Spirit at Albrighton.

23. Ivan Matias-I've Had Enough-(DARC Soul Mix)-BMG CD Single From 1995 this is a great track, most people know 'Somebody Knows How You Feel' via the Expansion Soul Togetherness CD. This I think is much the better of the two, there's loads of copies on GEMM go and hoover them up.

Enjoy the CD.

Tony Turner

Edited by Tony Turner
Social source share

Dragging my heels a bit but I've finished the CD, tracklisting is below.

8. Carla Thomas-Love Among People-Stax 45 Bought from Glen Bellamy about 4 years ago after hearing it on a CD that I think Colin Dilnot made. A beautiful mid tempo item with flute, strings, keyboard and brass all accompanied by Carla's lovely voice. If you do not already know this one then you are in for a treat.

Tony Turner

Really looking forward to getting this - top selection by the looks of it, and Carla Thomas, what a tune, I've just picked one up, so it didn't fit my criteria of lifetime favourites.....but it will next week.

Social source share

Having cleared my conscience by getting all of my CDs in the mail, I can afford to set some quality time aside this weekend to give your CDs a good listen..... :P

The track listings look like I'm in for some great listening thumbsup.gif

and a very good CD it is Mr Steele. lovely presentation and cracking tunes to boot, i thank you sir

alan

Social source share

After my CD recorder messing me about (twice - completely wiped out, first 7 then 16, tracks from my 'Master' disc) I am pleased to announce my offering is complete and is currently in mass copy mode !! So.. all my mailings will see arrival throughout next week.

Made it something a bit 'different' in that all tracks are lifted ONLY from LP's. Some nice alternate versions of a few things, some are LP only.. plus it includes an educational aspect - in the form of information as to some of what is actually out there in LP format (& an idea as to some things available from 'other' countries). Have tried to cover a broad spectrum of tastes in the hope there is something for everyone.

For the benefit of those reading this thread that aren't privvy to 'The Swap' I include details of my compilation below, Don't know if it's correct 'etiquette' for these swaps - but, if anyone NOT in the swap fancies a copy of my CD.. just let me know & I'll gladly run a copy off !!

Ta.. Fingers shades.gif

post-10024-1211049046_thumb.jpg post-10024-1211049189_thumb.jpg

this is excellent mate, sheer class. had it on all day Thursday at work, top drawer buddy, thank you

alan

Social source share

this is excellent mate, sheer class. had it on all day Thursday at work, top drawer buddy, thank you

alan

WoW !! Thanx very much indeed for your positive comments, ajb - I wasn't expecting any real 'feedback', as such - rather, more like 'passing' comments on selected tracks maybe.. or a particular 'over all' personal favourite CD sort of thing - but.. your sentiments are truly most kind and further serve to act as fuel to stoke this furnace of enthusiasm, I'm obsessed by, for this beloved Soul music we all so much enjoy.

Whilst hearing (as expected, I think) a fair proportion of 'known' tunes (with some too long unplayed - so it transpires.. !!), and a good size chunk of 'first timers' - some right up 'my alley' and some not. Some real 'class' pieces with some 'just okay'. More additions to the 'Look Out For' & 'Must Have' sections of the (seemingly endless) volumes of my personal 'Encyclopedia of Wants & Desirables' along with an odd few where it was (simply.. !!) a case of 'The computer says No !!'

The benefits of being involved in this type of thing far outway the necessary time to create, produce and dispatch one's own personal contribution - the educational aspect being rapidly increased, pro-rata to the volume of individual tracks participants are pleasantly 'bombarded' with, over such a relatively short period of time. Excellent !!

Would like to say to Mr Steele: Cliffe.. Mate - Exceptional, I think. 'Top CD Man' that you undoubtedly are..

Thanx to all (thus far) for the received discs of delights - and to the creators of the one's still to be dispatched/received.. C'mon you lot .. I'M GETTIN' HUNGRY!! My insatiable appetite requires CONSTANT sustenance.. :lol:

Fingers.. :ohmy:

Edited by FickleFingers
Social source share

WoW !! Thanx very much indeed for your positive comments, ajb - I wasn't expecting any real 'feedback', as such - rather, more like 'passing' comments on selected tracks maybe.. or a particular 'over all' personal favourite CD sort of thing - but.. your sentiments are truly most kind and further serve to act as fuel to stoke this furnace of enthusiasm, I'm obsessed by, for this beloved Soul music we all so much enjoy.

Whilst hearing (as expected, I think) a fair proportion of 'known' tunes (with some too long unplayed - so it transpires.. !!), and a good size chunk of 'first timers' - some right up 'my alley' and some not. Some real 'class' pieces with some 'just okay'. More additions to the 'Look Out For' & 'Must Have' sections of the (seemingly endless) volumes of my personal 'Encyclopedia of Wants & Desirables' along with an odd few where it was (simply.. !!) a case of 'The computer says No !!'

The benefits of being involved in this type of thing far outway the necessary time to create, produce and dispatch one's own personal contribution - the educational aspect being rapidly increased, pro-rata to the volume of individual tracks participants are pleasantly 'bombarded' with, over such a relatively short period of time. Excellent !!

Would like to say to Mr Steele: Cliffe.. Mate - Exceptional, I think. 'Top CD Man' that you undoubtedly are..

Thanx to all (thus far) for the received discs of delights - and to the creators of the one's still to be dispatched/received.. C'mon you lot .. I'M GETTIN' HUNGRY!! My insatiable appetite requires CONSTANT sustenance.. :lol:

Fingers.. :ohmy:

Ok Johnny, Great CD from what I can see, as a lover of 33's myself and always on the lookout for 'album only' tracks.

One question though...On the Temptations - who you gonna run to, Kiki Dee - more today... & Jackie Wilson - my heart is calling.....you've put 'alt version'.......of what? I ask in anticipation! As these were not released anywhere else (or were they?)

I look forward to your reply, and if you send me a copy of yours I'll send a copy of one of my fine 'Album Only' CDs that you may find interesting (10 volumes and counting!).

Johnny South

Social source share

Ok Johnny, Great CD from what I can see, as a lover of 33's myself and always on the lookout for 'album only' tracks.

One question though...On the Temptations - who you gonna run to, Kiki Dee - more today... & Jackie Wilson - my heart is calling.....you've put 'alt version'.......of what? I ask in anticipation! As these were not released anywhere else (or were they?)

I look forward to your reply, and if you send me a copy of yours I'll send a copy of one of my fine 'Album Only' CDs that you may find interesting (10 volumes and counting!).

Johnny South

Hey John !!

I put 'Alternative' as in (effectively - though not strictly) a 'Cover' - being more associated with the same record performed by a different artist. Some, though, being an alternative take on an earlier releases - as with the Silhouettes 1968 version of their '58 number 1 smash 'Get A Job'. It's exactly the same record, performed by the same artists - but with a completely different arrangement and production.. resulting in a seemingly completely different record altogether.

The Temptations 'Who You Gonna Run To' was released as a 45 on VIP by Mickey McCullers (flip to 'Same Old Story' - which,itself, saw an earlier Tamla release, with a different flip).

Kiki Dee is a cover of the Spiral Staircase classic, only. It was never put out on 45 by Kiki. The Jackie Wilson 'My Heart..' a version of the Magnificents 45 on Dee Gee - again, Jackie's take has never seen 'official' 45 release.. but Kev Roberts (I believe) is responsible for it's appearance on the back of a 45 'release' with 'Because Of You' !! If that's legit.. then all my missing digit's will return to their former selves just as soon as I simply instruct them to !! Yea.. Right !! And I don't suppose Salman Rushdie is 'Ex-Directory' ?? or, that the Pope is NOT a Catholic ?? - and that he does NOT have a balcony, either ?? Uh Huh.. But you get the giste..

As some of my 'Alt's' are, in fact, the 'original' versions it would be wholly inappropriate to refer to them as 'Covers' - hence the decision (in the absence of one, truly definitive, word) to put them forward as 'Alternative' in that sense only.

I'm still currently only a third of the way through a fairly recent 'Job Lot' purchase of albums (nearly 400) - so still 'discovering' things not previously known to me. All good fun.

Would relish an insight as to some of the content you describe - are they all lifted from personal collection pieces ?? or compiled from various medias ??

I have several copies of cd's to run off this week anyway, and will happily include a copy of this one for you.

Let me have an addy for delivery at some point matey, and will sort it out this week.

Nice One :lol:

Fingers..

Edited by FickleFingers
Social source share

I haven't forgotten about it have burned about half the cd's so far and will have the rest done by the end of the week.

Having a great time listening to the CD's i have received lots of tracks i know and love and quite a few that are new to me.

It's all good , as a taster here's the tracklisting for mine

cheers

Derek

ARETHA - TAKE A LOOK - COLUMBIA 45

ISLEY BROS - YOU'LL NEVER LEAVE HIM - UA 45

TALYA FERRO - WE COULD LEARN TOGETHER - MGM LP TRACK

BRENTON WOOD - TROUBLE - DOUBLE SHOT 45

COASTERS - LOVE POTION NO.9 - KING 45

FOUR TOPS - LOOK OUT YOUR WINDOW - TAMLA MOTOWN GERMAN 45

CASH MCCALL - LET'S GET A THING GOING ON - THOMAS 45

BETTY EVERETT - UNLUCKY GIRL - UNI 45

BILLY DAVIS - IT'S ALL OVER - HI 45

MELLOW MOODS - WHEN YOU GO YOU TAKE YOUR MEMORIES TOO - WE MAKE R'N'R RECS 45

ESQUIRES - REACH OUT - CAPITOL 45

BARBARA LYNN - YOU'RE TOO HOT TO HOLD - ATLANTIC 45

JOHNNY ROBINSON - PERSON TO PERSON - EPIC 45

DONNA THEODORE - YOU CAN MAKE ME FEEL GOOD - UNI 45

PATTERSON TWINS - BACK IN LOVE AGAIN - STAR FOX 45

AC TILMON/DETROIT EMERALDS - YES, I KNOW I'M IN LOVE - WESTBOUND 45

BOBBY WOMACK - GET A LIFE - GRAND CENTRAL 45 (ACOUSTIC VERSION)

LEDA GRACE - MY BABY LOVES ME - POLYDOR 45

CASH MCCALL - LOVE YOU FOREVER - COLUMBIA 45

JACKSON SISTERS - SHAKE HER LOOSE - MUMS UK 45

GLADYS KNIGHT/PIPS - LOVE WAS MADE FOR TWO - CBS UK 45

NEW YORK PORT AUTHORITY - GUESS I'M GONNA CRY - INVICTUS 45

BUNNY SIGLER - SOMEBODY LOVES YOU - P.I.R. 45

EDDIE HOUSTON - THAT'S HOW MUCH - CAPITOL 45

ANN DUQUESNEY - LIKE I NEVER LOVED YOU - CAPITOL 45

SALEM TRAVELLERS - RIGHT NOW - CHECKER 45

Social source share

Hey John !!

I put 'Alternative' as in (effectively - though not strictly) a 'Cover' - being more associated with the same record performed by a different artist. Some, though, being an alternative take on an earlier releases - as with the Silhouettes 1968 version of their '58 number 1 smash 'Get A Job'. It's exactly the same record, performed by the same artists - but with a completely different arrangement and production.. resulting in a seemingly completely different record altogether.

The Temptations 'Who You Gonna Run To' was released as a 45 on VIP by Mickey McCullers (flip to 'Same Old Story' - which,itself, saw an earlier Tamla release, with a different flip).

Kiki Dee is a cover of the Spiral Staircase classic, only. It was never put out on 45 by Kiki. The Jackie Wilson 'My Heart..' a version of the Magnificents 45 on Dee Gee - again, Jackie's take has never seen 'official' 45 release.. but Kev Roberts (I believe) is responsible for it's appearance on the back of a 45 'release' with 'Because Of You' !! If that's legit.. then all my missing digit's will return to their former selves just as soon as I simply instruct them to !! Yea.. Right !! And I don't suppose Salman Rushdie is 'Ex-Directory' ?? or, that the Pope is NOT a Catholic ?? - and that he does NOT have a balcony, either ?? Uh Huh.. But you get the giste..

As some of my 'Alt's' are, in fact, the 'original' versions it would be wholly inappropriate to refer to them as 'Covers' - hence the decision (in the absence of one, truly definitive, word) to put them forward as 'Alternative' in that sense only.

I'm still currently only a third of the way through a fairly recent 'Job Lot' purchase of albums (nearly 400) - so still 'discovering' things not previously known to me. All good fun.

Would relish an insight as to some of the content you describe - are they all lifted from personal collection pieces ?? or compiled from various medias ??

I have several copies of cd's to run off this week anyway, and will happily include a copy of this one for you.

Let me have an addy for delivery at some point matey, and will sort it out this week.

Nice One :thumbsup:

Fingers..

Fingers! You got your lines mixed up pal! 'My Heart Is Calling' by Jackie Wilson is NO WAY the same as the Magnificents on Dee Gee, get your stubs outta your ears my dear boy!

Anyway, that aside, I now see where you're coming from re- Alt take, which usually means an alternate take to the artists' own cut/still in the can version!

You ask if my album only Cds come from my own collection, the answer is definitely yes! You ask Perry about my soul/motown/reggae/ska L.P collection....probably the finest in East Anglia (apart from yours.... :( ).

I look forward to your CD mate and I've p.m'd my address to you ok.

All the best mate,

John

Social source share

Fingers! You got your lines mixed up pal! 'My Heart Is Calling' by Jackie Wilson is NO WAY the same as the Magnificents on Dee Gee, get your stubs outta your ears my dear boy!

:P ).

I look forward to your CD mate and I've p.m'd my address to you ok.

All the best mate,

John

:D:lol:Certainly seemed to be 'On One' there.. more a case, though, of 3rd Day Syndrome than the stubs in the ears John ('though I agree - it is about time I did something about them - surgery always scares the hell out of me though !! :lol: )

You are - of course, correct in your statement.. I can offer no explanation other than that above (or, perhaps, I was side-tracked by the KR issue - and I fell by the wayside somewhere ??).

Your collection is, from memory, certainly one to be envied - and it is you, in fact, I offer my eternal thanks to.. for my Roy Hamilton RCA album !!

So pleasurable to be amongst kindred spirits. Oh! - and where is it you are from again, now ?? Oh yes !! Of course.. EAST ANGLIA !! ohmy.gif

Now.. what is it I've been saying (for Years !!) about the 'Unsung' individuals based in our fair climes that have been responsible (and still are) for significant contributions to our much loved Soul Scene ?? g.gifwhistling.gif

Fingers.. boxing.gif

Edited by FickleFingers
Social source share

Just wanted to add I have loved so many of the Cds so far, top stuff...then i receive a Cd from one on my bestest mates Mr Lucas and it knocks me for six! Where have you been hiding those tunes mate....or do you just play `em and I`m too busy talking!?

I always tray and play each CD a few times before i pass judgement, most tracks need that...i`m into second and third plays tomorrow.....

Chris

Social source share

Guest shaun evans

APOLOGIES FOR THE DELAY

CDS HAVE BEEN FANTASTIC

JUST SORTING OUT POSTING TODAY

MINE IS A DESERT ISLANND MIX ILL SEND TRACKLIST ON HERE WHEN THEYVE ARRIVED

:no: Thanks to all for the cds so far all have been outstanding just got Mr Pountain playing while sending this wow sir the dogs nuts got major hangover and its bringing me back to the real world :thumbsup: forgot just how good Jimmy Sherman was not heard it for years TUNE :shades:

Social source share

Not been able to listen to any of the CD's yet.

But the vibe is good, so looks as if I have a treat or two in store!

Hope to have mine done before the weekend.

Can't get to my LP's right now, so looks like being 45's only.

Thanks for being patient, all.

(Especially you, Kirsty - A late Birfdi pressie comin' up soon!).

:lol:

Sean

Social source share

My CD's left the building Monday/Tuesday

Expect them any day now

Quality this time round has been exceptional :)

Cheers

Pat

its just dropped on the mat - thank you!.... will have a listen once one of Les' efforts (I got 3) has finished

like the sound of the listing - thats for sure

Social source share

My CD's left the building Monday/Tuesday

Expect them any day now

Quality this time round has been exceptional :)

Cheers

Pat

OK, I'm in love with the Freeman Brothers... its hard to type when you're tingling.

Please tell me I'll get one no bother, and for not much more than a wink and a smile....

Social source share

OK, I'm in love with the Freeman Brothers... its hard to type when you're tingling.

Please tell me I'll get one no bother, and for not much more than a wink and a smile....

Kirsty

Glad you love it ! one of my faves aswell

Unfortunately it's not that easy - this used to be one of the 'Holy Grail' Deep Soul 45's although the price has dropped drastically in recent years.

Best place is on the Bay of E although you'd have a result if you paid less than £100 for it.

Thanks

Pat

Edited by s7oul
Social source share

Guest shaun evans

Everytime i mean to be the gate-keeper but it just aint me...

So, how many are we waiting for now?

Chris.

ps, some great stuff guys, so much effort into every CD...

:P chris i've got 21 so far Mr steele seems to posting his i see but not received my copy yet :) and its getting good reviews i hope my fooking postman not lost it or i kill his black and white cat :thumbup:

Social source share

:lol: chris i've got 21 so far Mr steele seems to posting his i see but not received my copy yet :thumbup: and its getting good reviews i hope my fooking postman not lost it or i kill his black and white cat biggrin.gif

you are not on your own.....I too have not received my CD from Cliff :ohmy: or Tat's for that matter g.gif

Social source share

Guest shaun evans

I reckon that I've had them all bar five now, thanks all.

Again has everybody received a copy of mine by now.

TT

:( yes i have your copy Tony :thumbsup: still not recevied Mr Steele's :D:ohmy:

Social source share

A man after my own heart ! Albums, just so many hidden tracks !

That was the first swap we did Gav, Lps only!

I think we may have to revisit that one in the near future.....

Chris.

Having only about 50 well known albums now that rules me out again, any chance of a "anything goes" swap?

BH

Social source share

Guest shaun evans

Having only about 50 well known albums now that rules me out again, any chance of a "anything goes" swap?

BH

:D That sounds good to me mate :thumbsup:

Social source share

Just finished mine.

20 odd Soul tracks.

Most of my Desert Island things would be Ballads, I guess, so very few out and out 'dancers' in there.

Reckon you'll need a quiet night in, with a very tall glass... something chilled...

...but FFS hide the razor blades.

:thumbsup:

Hope to have 'em all out next week.

Sean

Social source share

Guest shaun evans

APOLOGIES FOR THE DELAY

CDS HAVE BEEN FANTASTIC

JUST SORTING OUT POSTING TODAY

MINE IS A DESERT ISLANND MIX ILL SEND TRACKLIST ON HERE WHEN THEYVE ARRIVED

:ohmy: sean great cd chap :thumbsup: please post playlist dancing round my kitchen :ohmy::D:(

Social source share

Guest biggray1

you are not on your own.....I too have not received my CD from Cliff :yes: or Tat's for that matter g.gif

i've got Mr Taylors cd but havnt got Mr Steel's yet :thumbup: will count up all that have arrived here and let you all know..Graham.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert