• Replies 132
  • Views 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Paul Kyser

thanks, I emailed you the picture and will mail it to you soon. Any connection between Devotion and the Devonnes on Colossus? Your name is not on the Devonnes 45 but it has the same publishing ("legacy")? I can post a devonnes pic if it would help. Thanks.

boba

Please do. Devotion was on Colossus Records. They were the Superbs on Symbol. The same girls and the same song. We just rereleased the record The Dawning of Love. My biggest regret was not releasing So Glad You're Home" as the a side

Social source share

Brian

I've been tryin was the B side of the record and The band went to Buffalo New York to perform and Ain't it Good Enough was the A side. They never practiced the B Side after we recorded it. The Top DJ called Houndog in Buffalo NY loved the B side and all of the jock played the B side. When the NuSounds did thier show and performed Ain't it good enough. The crowed just stood thier and said OK now do you hit song and the NuSounds said we did. The crowed said no do I've been trying is the hit up there. The NuSound express almost fell over. They performed the song bearly. From that time on they put the song in thier list.

By the way The NuSounds latter name was changed to Rhyze. Rhyze is the NuSound express.

Fascinating stories Paul, thanks for sharing...I had to dig out my copy of "I've Been Trying" and give it a listen....still sounds great!!!

Social source share

Baz

That is almost true. I really didn't have the money to press up a lot of records. I have a few and just a few just 3 of the original copies left. I plan to auction of the origional Master disc from Bell Sound that I approve the mix to be mastered. It is the only copy and a collectors item.

Wow that sure is a collectors item,did you have any involvement with the Superlatives when there cut the Three Gs and Wally recordings? The original master disc from BEll SOUND would generate massive interest via the British Collectors fraternity,do you still have any contact with any members of the superlatives ?

Its a priveledge to have this kind of insight Paul!

BAZ A

Social source share

Guest Paul Kyser

Baz

That is almost true. I really didn't have the money to press up a lot of records. I have a few and just a few just 3 of the original copies left. I plan to auction of the origional Master disc from Bell Sound that I approve the mix to be mastered. It is the only copy and a collectors item.

Wow that sure is a collectors item,did you have any involvement with the Superlatives when there cut the Three Gs and Wally recordings? The original master disc from BEll SOUND would generate massive interest via the British Collectors fraternity,do you still have any contact with any members of the superlatives ?

Its a priveledge to have this kind of insight Paul!

BAZ A

Baz

I have the master from bell sound of Robby Lawson.I have many other goodies and collectors items. I do not have the one of the Superlatives. Only one member of the group from Jersey City is still living his name is David Jones.

Social source share

Steve G

You guys do your home work. Yes I produced Storm and Storm was a mixture of other groups. What label did first class record She comes up. Are you sure it's the same song?

Thanks Paul, yes "She comes up" is the same record and First Class came out on Fast Track records (the same label as Sugar Billy, Soul Generation etc.). I have both records and the better vocal version is Storm. The First Class version is more Philly influenced if that makes sense. Steve G

Social source share

Hi Paul,

Just wanted to echo what so many have said so far on here its a pleasure to see you as a member and great to have your contributions.

Are you still in touch with Terry Tate? "Count on My Love" is one of my all time favourite tracks do any material from those sessions not make it to the album?

Questions so many questions. I'll not bombard you as plenty of others will be picking your brains I'm sure.

Ged

Social source share

Eddie

I used to play for a church and thats how some songs were done. You just build up. The Sax player was one of the studio musicians at Cameo Parkway Recording studio. With Thom Bell on keyboards and I did the over dub. I used 2 drummers. one on the actual session and another on the overdub to give it that driving beat. The background singers were The Superlatives.

So that's how ya make a Humdinger!

Thanks

Paul

Social source share

Baz

I have the master from bell sound of Robby Lawson.I have many other goodies and collectors items. I do not have the one of the Superlatives. Only one member of the group from Jersey City is still living his name is David Jones.

Thanks Paul

How do you feel about the depth of feeling and high regard British soul fans have for you,are you amazed at the knowledge on here?Oh are you living in New jersey if so do you have any contact with people involved witH carnival records?

BAZ A.

Social source share

Hi Paul

Im sure you know you played a large part in this rare soul scene being created. Thanks for that.

Did you ever wonder how Burning Sensation became so popular in The UK ?

Please name names and tell stories about your career, its priceless.

This scene is always looking out for new undiscovered material, especially mid and uptempo soulfull productions. Im sure you would get good sales from putting a cd together etc.

Keep the faith.

Ed

Social source share

Eddie

I used to play for a church and thats how some songs were done. You just build up. The Sax player was one of the studio musicians at Cameo Parkway Recording studio. With Thom Bell on keyboards and I did the over dub. I used 2 drummers. one on the actual session and another on the overdub to give it that driving beat. The background singers were The Superlatives.

Many thanks for the insight into the recording Paul .I've had the Rhyze album for a few years , and didn't realise you were involved with it !! Many thanks for the priceless info. regarding your career in the music industry .Best wishes ,Eddie

Social source share

Guest Paul Kyser

Hi Paul,

Just wanted to echo what so many have said so far on here its a pleasure to see you as a member and great to have your contributions.

Are you still in touch with Terry Tate? "Count on My Love" is one of my all time favourite tracks do any material from those sessions not make it to the album?

Questions so many questions. I'll not bombard you as plenty of others will be picking your brains I'm sure.

Ged

Ged

I only have about 3 unreleased things on Terry Tate. Terry Tate went gospel. He now resides in Florida.

Social source share

Guest Paul Kyser

oh Paul forgot to ask the Soul Generation who recored on ebony sounds produced some wonderful sweet soul,who was involved ith this outfit?I cant believe it is the same outfit that done soulmotivation on Tru-Ba DOR? Can youshed some light on this outfit!

Kind regards

BAZ A

During work on the Soul Generations album we came to a parting of the ways. You see me and the Soul Generations went to school together and sung in some of the same groups. It was hard for them to see me as the person giving them orders out side the studio. We were friends and we partied together and that was a mistake because I was now a Record Company owner. After parting with me they never got another hit.

Social source share

Guest Paul Kyser

oh Paul forgot to ask the Soul Generation who recored on ebony sounds produced some wonderful sweet soul,who was involved ith this outfit?I cant believe it is the same outfit that done soulmotivation on Tru-Ba DOR? Can youshed some light on this outfit!

Kind regards

BAZ A

/tru-Ba Dor? I never heard of them I had nothing to do with soulmotivation.

Social source share

Guest Paul Kyser

Hi Paul

Im sure you know you played a large part in this rare soul scene being created. Thanks for that.

Did you ever wonder how Burning Sensation became so popular in The UK ?

Please name names and tell stories about your career, its priceless.

This scene is always looking out for new undiscovered material, especially mid and uptempo soulfull productions. Im sure you would get good sales from putting a cd together etc.

Keep the faith.

Ed

Hey Ed

I will be open to companies who will want to do just that. I have many tracks

I recorded Burning Sensation in 1966 at Cameo Parkway but mixed and mastered the songs at Bell Sound studios in New York. I still have the Test Dub Record with the Bell Sound Studio Label. I Plan to sell it. I pressed up 300 copies of the Robby Lawson record. I was very young and only did a strike off stamper. I then went to the radio stations in the USA but I was pushing I Have Searched. The pressing plant started bootleging my record on Kyser Records and the stampers broke. They tried to make a copy from the 45 but it didn't sound right so a the record was breaking big in England and other places and they had to contact me for the tape masters. A record company in England called Stans Record Shop in Jersey City and asked how to contact me and Stan Called my Mother and I was away in college. They finally reached me and the rest is History.I worked out a deal of leasing a copy of one of my masters but it wasn't the mix of the 300 copies that I pressed. How many copies sold before the stampers broke probably not too many. I was majoring in music a Rutgers University. The accapella group called The Royal Counts had 2 of the songs on thier first album and failed to put my name on it and that how I met Stan Krouse of Catamount records. The songs were Made Up My Mind. and The Time. Me and Robby Lawson went to school together and we sung in a group called The School Boys so did Jeffery Burges of the Soul Generations. I own the masters and rights to everything I ever produced and wrote.

Social source share

Fantastic insights so far Paul,if you got back into producing now Paul would it be the secular side of the music,its amazing how many soul singers go back to the church based roots ,its almost ful circle infact.I noticed you worked with the awesome Jerry Butler ,what was he like as a person ,his voice is so underrated imo,have you got strong recollections of your work with him!

BAZ A

Social source share

Welcome Paul- Its wonderful to hear your memories

If it wasnt for the internet it would be very hard to get all this wonderful information.

The only negative I see in this is when we were young it was the illusiveness of this information that gaves us the BUZZ - Who was Robbie Lawson? Wonder what hees doing now etc - These were the things that were part of loving the music- so In one sense its fantastic to hear the originality of these songs and yet in another way its sad because the mystique is fading (I hope you understand what I mean) and if you do you will undestand why we love your music!

What a thread please keep this going!

Social source share

Guest Paul Kyser

Baz

Thanks Paul

How do you feel about the depth of feeling and high regard British soul fans have for you,are you amazed at the knowledge on here?Oh are you living in New jersey if so do you have any contact with people involved witH carnival records?

BAZ A.

Baz

I feel over joyed. It's always good to know that people enjoy my body of work. I haven't seen Joe Evans the Owner of Carnival Records in a long time. It's funny you mentioned Carnival Records. Before I released the so Body and Soul by the Soul Generations I had a meeting with Joe Evans of Carnival records. i wanted to get his opinion and some advice. Joe Evans must be in his eighties now or maybe older.

Paul kyser

Social source share

Guest Paul Kyser

Fantastic insights so far Paul,if you got back into producing now Paul would it be the secular side of the music,its amazing how many soul singers go back to the church based roots ,its almost ful circle infact.I noticed you worked with the awesome Jerry Butler ,what was he like as a person ,his voice is so underrated imo,have you got strong recollections of your work with him!

BAZ A

Baz

Jerry Butler is the ice man. He never have too many words. He is always cool. I resently produced a video on Jerry and 24 of the most popular sweet soul and r&b groups of the late 60s and 70s

Social source share

Guest Paul Kyser

BAZ A

Baz

I got a Gospel Hit Album in 2007 by The Singing Pastors of Piscataway The Album went to #24 on the National Billboard Charts in the USA another Gospel Group I produced is The Gospel Shepards.

Me and Rhyze just got back together and after all these years I'm producing them again.

Social source share

Guest Paul Kyser

Hi Paul,

Just to say....Sincere Respect to you, and I hope, even this late in the day, so to speak,you are able to deservedly recoup the fruits of your labour.....cheers wilxy

Wilxy

Thankyou so much

Paul Kyser

Social source share

Guest Revilot1957

Paul.

Is there any chance that you can send me a copy or Burning Sensation ???

I will give you the postal charges via PayPal.

If you can I will buy you a pint, the next time you are in Washington ............

Washington, UK that is ...

The original Washington.

Thanks in advance.

(Well, somebody had to try).

Edited by Revilot1957
Social source share

Guest inspirations001

JUST READING THIS AND IS IT ME OR IS THIS SURREAL! WELCOME ABOARD PAUL, SURE YOU'LL BE ASKED LOTS OF QUESTIONS,I THINK EVERYONE ON HERE LOVE THE ROBBIE LAWSON TRACK. IALSO LOVED JIMMY BRISCOE "INVITATION".

Social source share

Baz

I feel over joyed. It's always good to know that people enjoy my body of work. I haven't seen Joe Evans the Owner of Carnival Records in a long time. It's funny you mentioned Carnival Records. Before I released the so Body and Soul by the Soul Generations I had a meeting with Joe Evans of Carnival records. i wanted to get his opinion and some advice. Joe Evans must be in his eighties now or maybe older.

Paul kyser

Fantastic reply ,you had a real working relationshp with lots of philly based outfits/logos how did that develop Paul!

BAZ A

Social source share

Baz

Jerry Butler is the ice man. He never have too many words. He is always cool. I resently produced a video on Jerry and 24 of the most popular sweet soul and r&b groups of the late 60s and 70s

I think the coolness has led Jerry to been vastly understated his ice man cometh lp is a real landmark in soul music,this project sounds fantastic how do we acess this Paul.

BAZ A wink.gif

Social source share

Baz

I got a Gospel Hit Album in 2007 by The Singing Pastors of Piscataway The Album went to #24 on the National Billboard Charts in the USA another Gospel Group I produced is The Gospel Shepards.

Me and Rhyze just got back together and after all these years I'm producing them again.

wow still producing ,thats incredible my favourite gospel outfit The soul Stirrers mainly recorded on Jewel Devotional,did you evercome across them Paul and would you say that gospel has a stronger following in the usa than contempory soul music?

baz a

Social source share

Guest Paul Kyser

Can you tell us more about this project, Paul?

Who else was in the 24?

Also, is the video for general release?

:shades:

Sean

Sean

In the USA I can hardly keep it in stock. I will be looking to do a license deal over seas.

the list of groups is incredibale. And its on DVD and CD recorded Live a few years ago and I had to edit and mix everything. some of the artists are - The Delfonics, The Manhattans, Eddie Holman, The Moments AKA Ray Goodman, and Brown, McFadden and Whitehead (the last show they did before both of them passed away) Jerry Butler (also the host and MC) Barbara Mason, The Temprees, The Soul Generation, The Stylistics, The Winstons, Skip Mahoney and the Casuals, Black Ivory, The Main Ingrediant, The Ebony's, Heatwave, Tavaras, Enchantment, Bloodstone,The Chi-Lites, Lenny Williams, the Intruders, just to name some of the acts and some singing up to 5 and 6 songs.

This is a must have DVD.

Paul Kyser

Social source share

Guest Paul Kyser

Paul.

Is there any chance that you can send me a copy or Burning Sensation ???

I will give you the postal charges via PayPal.

If you can I will buy you a pint, the next time you are in Washington ............

Washington, UK that is ...

The original Washington.

Thanks in advance.

(Well, somebody had to try).

I guess you know what the going price is for an original copy of Burning Sensation is. (smile)

Paul Kyser

Social source share

Guest Paul Kyser

JUST READING THIS AND IS IT ME OR IS THIS SURREAL! WELCOME ABOARD PAUL, SURE YOU'LL BE ASKED LOTS OF QUESTIONS,I THINK EVERYONE ON HERE LOVE THE ROBBIE LAWSON TRACK. IALSO LOVED JIMMY BRISCOE "INVITATION".

Inspiration

Thanks alot. I appreciate that.

Paul Kyser

Social source share

Guest Paul Kyser

Baz

wow still producing ,thats incredible my favourite gospel outfit The soul Stirrers mainly recorded on Jewel Devotional,did you evercome across them Paul and would you say that gospel has a stronger following in the usa than contempory soul music?

baz a

Social source share

I guess you know what the going price is for an original copy of Burning Sensation is. (smile)

Paul Kyser

Maybe you can tell us Paul,what is the going rate for Burning Sensation ? If you want to go to auction have you heard of John Manship ? :unsure: Can you tell us what collectors items you have that you are willing to part with ? And why did you promote "I have searched" as the top side,rather than "Burning Sensation" ? Can you recall what was the motivation behind writing the lyrics of this song,and did Robbie enjoy singing it ? Would it be possible to have the sound from your master put into the soul source sound files ?

Thanks,GR8 to see you are on here !

Rob.

Social source share

Guest Paul Kyser

Maybe you can tell us Paul,what is the going rate for Burning Sensation ? If you want to go to auction have you heard of John Manship ? :lol: Can you tell us what collectors items you have that you are willing to part with ? And why did you promote "I have searched" as the top side,rather than "Burning Sensation" ? Can you recall what was the motivation behind writing the lyrics of this song,and did Robbie enjoy singing it ? Would it be possible to have the sound from your master put into the soul source sound files ?

Thanks,GR8 to see you are on here !

Rob.

Rob

I thought that both side were equal but I was a sweet soul kind of guy. So I went with I have searched. Even though I wrote Burning Sensation I thought that I would have to compete with motown on the fast tune. So I went with the ballad I was wrong.

Paul Kyser

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Rob

I thought that both side were equal but I was a sweet soul kind of guy. So I went with I have searched. Even though I wrote Burning Sensation I thought that I would have to compete with motown on the fast tune. So I went with the ballad I was wrong.

Paul Kyser

Hi Paul, Great to see you here. You can be assured that your productions of both uptempo numbers and sweet ballads have given considerable pleasure to many people on this site over the years!

It regard to Sweet Soul, do you think there will ever be a revival of this genre in the US, or do you think that the group harmony skills have been somewhat lost?

Is the young generation just not interested in performing (and listening to) the kind of genuine SOUL singing that we know and love?

What has happened to all of the fabulous songwriters and producers that played such a central role in the sixties and seventies? Who are their equals today?

Regards, Mel.

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Hi Paul

Just out of interest, how long would it have taken you to write the revered 'Burning Sensation' then make the arrangements, as opposed to say something like Jimmy Briscoe-'Movin on' which is at the other end of the soul spectrum.

Kev

Edited by Kev Moore
Social source share

Guest Paul Kyser

Hi Paul, Great to see you here. You can be assured that your productions of both uptempo numbers and sweet ballads have given considerable pleasure to many people on this site over the years!

It regard to Sweet Soul, do you think there will ever be a revival of this genre in the US, or do you think that the group harmony skills have been somewhat lost?

Is the young generation just not interested in performing (and listening to) the kind of genuine SOUL singing that we know and love?

What has happened to all of the fabulous songwriters and producers that played such a central role in the sixties and seventies? Who are their equals today?

Regards, Mel.

They all got older and the radio stations in the USA wouldn't give them a play.

Paul Kyser

Social source share

Guest Paul Kyser

Just dug out my 12" copy of Rhyze "Just how sweet is your love" - forgotten what a good little boogie tune it is, just had to play it on the radio today!

Thanks Jerry

As I said me and Rhyze after all these years are now working on a new album

Paul Kyser

Social source share

Sean

In the USA I can hardly keep it in stock. I will be looking to do a license deal over seas.

the list of groups is incredibale. And its on DVD and CD recorded Live a few years ago and I had to edit and mix everything. some of the artists are - The Delfonics, The Manhattans, Eddie Holman, The Moments AKA Ray Goodman, and Brown, McFadden and Whitehead (the last show they did before both of them passed away) Jerry Butler (also the host and MC) Barbara Mason, The Temprees, The Soul Generation, The Stylistics, The Winstons, Skip Mahoney and the Casuals, Black Ivory, The Main Ingrediant, The Ebony's, Heatwave, Tavaras, Enchantment, Bloodstone,The Chi-Lites, Lenny Williams, the Intruders, just to name some of the acts and some singing up to 5 and 6 songs.

This is a must have DVD.

Paul Kyser

Can i have a signed copy please Paul :yes:

Welcome to Soul Source Paul its great reading this thread thumbsup.gif

Have you ever tried to recreate what you produced way back in recent times or at least thought about it, ie- great singers and identical instrumentation through to production

once again welcome Paul this really is awsome :lol:

Bearsy

ps, your email address is my name apart from the Papa bit :lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert