Paul Byford 1

• Replies 80
  • Views 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I might be looking to buy new record player.I currently use a Marantz but havent changed the needle since I bought it few yeasr ago. Just out of interest wondered what others use to play their 45s on and what you could recommend.Should I go for single Tecnics?Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

There`s only one choice imo,i`ve got two and i`ve never had one problem

with them over all the years i`ve had them :lol: ,

Technics SL-1210MK2

Dave f..............

Social source share

There`s only one choice imo,i`ve got two and i`ve never had one problem

with them over all the years i`ve had them :lol: ,

Technics SL-1210MK2

Dave f..............

Depends what you're playing really. Technics are great workhorses and, given the choice, I wouldn't DJ with anything else. If you buy stuff recorded later than the 60s though, might be worth getting a decent belt drive turntable.

Social source share

My ever faithful is my Garrard 4HF; a lovely transcription turntable manufactured between 1957 and 1965. It's still being used by some Reggae sound systems as well.

I bought it on Ebay for £55 but, by the time I had it overhauled and fit for use, it cost me £250 for that alone. It's fitted with an Audio Technica cartridge, and has four speeds (16, 33, 45 and 78). Oh, and it even has a pitch control - probably one of the first after the Garrard 301! Both old and new vinyl sounds excellent played on it.

post-953-1235575121_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

My ever faithful is my Garrard 4HF; a lovely transcription turntable manufactured between 1957 and 1965. It's still being used by some Reggae sound systems as well.

I bought it on Ebay for £55 but, by the time I had it overhauled and fit for use, it cost me £250 for that alone. It's fitted with an Audio Technica cartridge, and has four speeds (16, 33, 45 and 78). Oh, and it even has a pitch control - probably one of the first after the Garrard 301! Both old and new vinyl sounds excellent played on it.

Where did you take it to get it overhauled?

Social source share

That's beautiful Gene. Bet the old rock n roll stuff sounds ace on it :lol:

Have you got it going through a valve amp and other vintage stuff?

Social source share

That's beautiful Gene. Bet the old rock n roll stuff sounds ace on it :lol:

Have you got it going through a valve amp and other vintage stuff?

Most people tend to use a valve amp, but I use a normal Marantz amp through Wharfedale Valdus speakers. Still considering the valve options though...........

Rock & Roll sounds brilliant on it, especially original US 45s and 78s!

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Guest Dennis Kevin

I use the Techniques 1200 series turntable. I have one that I've been using since 1977 and have no problems. I prefer the totally manual turntable because it's suitable to the way I play records ... one at a time. Good luck !

Social source share

Depends what you're playing really. Technics are great workhorses and, given the choice, I wouldn't DJ with anything else. If you buy stuff recorded later than the 60s though, might be worth getting a decent belt drive turntable.

Each to there own and all that,i do play from 60s/70s/80s/90s and to last week on them and it

all sounds fine to me :lol:

i used to have a belt drive but after a while the belt stretchs,then you have to replace them,

myself i prefer the direct drive thumbsup.gif

Dave f............

Social source share

Guest Neil Taylor

I USE A LINN-AXIS TURNABLE(BELT DRIVE).WITH A GOLDRING CARTRIDGE.

PRE & POWER AMPED ROTEL AMPLIFIERS

MONITOR AUDIO SPEAKERS.

FANTASTIC SOUND,ESPECIALLY WHEN POWER AMPED RECENTLY.

NEIL

Social source share

Now that is a thing of beauty!

gary

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

My long time record player want ended a year last December when I found my Transcriptors 1970 Saturn on EBay :lol: , If you have money to buy a very good deck I would defiantly buy a new one built in Nottingham to a very high standard engineering indeed.

The photo is not mine but just the same. https://www.transcriptors.net/history.htm

post-4570-1235580513_thumb.jpg

Steve J

Edited by SteveJohnston
Social source share

Guest DAWEEDSMOKA

I've always sued Dual's, something I picked up from my father. As for a cartridge I use vintage Shure V15mkIII.

As for DJing, Technics with Shure Whitelabels.

post-12638-1235580888_thumb.jpg

post-12638-1235580905_thumb.jpg

Edited by DAWEEDSMOKA
Social source share

Guest Brett F

Always meant to get one of these to play on my patio in the summer, absolutely no need for it but i just think they are brilliant.

love all the pics of the decks so far i'd like em' all.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Sorry to be a thickie but what's the difference between a direct drive and a belt drive? I know what a belt drive is but am not sure what you mean by direct drive.

Direct drive is like a technics electrically driven.....yeah i know a belt drive is also but the whole idea of a deck really is to have as few interferences as possible so it does not interfere with the sound.if see what i mean......... :lol:

Social source share

Guest cardysharpy

I've got a twenty year old Linn axis which is superb and sounds better than the Technics I've got, which is fitted with a new Ortofon cartridge. You'd probably get one second hand reasonably cheaply and Linn will service them for any problem that you might get with them.

The Technics are great, but if you don't need the pitch control for DJing or for them to be robust enough to be carted around there are plenty of other better genuine hi-fi decks.

Social source share

Guest DAWEEDSMOKA

Now we are talking portables?

Don't own a soundburger yet..Have a vestax,numark and this columbia gp3.

It has a clamp that lets you play records veritcally and even upside down...but it can easily trash your records. I added a little weight once to try and remove a skip, instant cue burn.

post-12638-1235583946_thumb.jpg

post-12638-1235583994_thumb.jpg

Social source share

very interesting thread

i myself use a modified C J Walker cj 55, ADC LMF tone arm (fixed head), with at present an Audio Technica AT3200XE cartridge. i run this through a cambridge audio 640P phono amp, to an Audio innovations valve pre amp, then by a vintage crimson electrik power amp. merlin interconnects through out. very rarely play anything other than albums on this turntable, and it is strictly out of bounds to the mrs and kids LOL

else where i have a pair of gemini direct drive decks, with stanton 500 carts, ran through a behringer mixer.

alan

Social source share

<script language=Javascript src="product_images.js"> <script src="prototype.js" type=text/javascript> <script src="scriptaculous.js?load=effects" type=text/javascript> <script src="effects.js" type=text/javascript> <script src="lightbox.js" type=text/javascript> .new_productname {font-size:13px;font-weight:bold;white-space: normal;} .new_productprice {font-size:15px;font-weight:bold;} .new_producthighlight {color:3c33c3;font-weight:bold;} .onsale_icon { position:relative; z-index:3; top:7;/*-25*/ left:-15;/*95*/ display:inline;} .bigger_price_show_class { } .prod_option_personalization_header { font-size:15px } View price in £ or : Pounds Sterling (GBP)Euros (EUR) td.smallfieldcell1 { border: 1px solid #BCBCBC; padding:4px 4px 4px 4px; } >Turntables & Record Players

Digitise your Vinyl - Pro-Ject Debut Mk3 Phono USB with Ortofon OM5e Cartridge

Project-Debut-Phono-USB1.jpg

click to see larger image

Product Name: Digitise your Vinyl- Pro-Ject Debut Mk3 Phono USB Turntable with Ortofon OM5e Cartridge Your Price: £295.00

Manufacturer: Pro-Ject add_to.gif

The Debut Phono USB has been designed to simplify the digitising of your vinyl, so that you can transfer your vinyl to an iPOd, MP3 player, to CD or to keep as part of your music library on your PC or Mac. It has an analogue output for connecting to the auxiliary input of most HiFis amplifiers or stereo systems, but also has a USB output for direct connection to your PC or Mac. This enables you to record records to your PC for transfer to CD, iPod or P3 player. It has a built in phono preamp. The Pro-Ject Debut MK3 Phono USB manual turntable with a fitted Ortofon OM5e cartridge, built in phono preamplifier and USB digitising unit. The Pro-Ject Debut Phono SB has also been designed for those vinyl lovers whose amplifier or stereo system doesn't have a built in phono preamplifier, who don't want to buy one separately. Build quality is to the usual very high Pro-Ject standard and the turntable can be upgraded by replacing the standard stylus with styli further up the Ortofon OM range. See below for options and potential savings

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Still using the Goldring GL75 that I bought in 1972 - with a Sansui AU 101 amp, which I'm also still using - for £20.00 in total, from a mate who was joining the Navy.

Hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it... :thumbsup:

Social source share

I use Technics 1200's & 1210's in the two main record listening rooms. I also have a belt drive Technics 210 or 230 (can't remember which) in another room. They are all good. If you get a 1200 series turntable just for home use it will probably provide trouble free play for generations.

Social source share

very interesting thread

i myself use a modified C J Walker cj 55, ADC LMF tone arm (fixed head), with at present an Audio Technica AT3200XE cartridge. i run this through a cambridge audio 640P phono amp, to an Audio innovations valve pre amp, then by a vintage crimson electrik power amp. merlin interconnects through out. very rarely play anything other than albums on this turntable, and it is strictly out of bounds to the mrs and kids LOL

else where i have a pair of gemini direct drive decks, with stanton 500 carts, ran through a behringer mixer.

alan

Used to own a CJ55 myself Alan, with Linn Basik arm and P77 cartridge - lovely deck - used to play it through an A&R A60 amp and Moniter Audio 252 Speakers. Sounded great! Remember the sales blurb when I bought it stated that it had been designed to take on the attributes of a musical instrument. Tried to buy it back off the guy I sold it to a couple of years ago but he wasn't having any of it.

Edited by Stevie
Social source share

You really can't beat the SL 1210 Mk II for quality, build and reliability.

I got a new one recently and I still have an old one which has more than 100,000 miles on the clock.

It still does 0 to 45 rpm in less than a second.

How many cars can beat that?

:thumbup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert