• Replies 49
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Thanks Nick great record
I'll second that.

Been after this since the early 80s & this is the 1st copy that i've ever seen for sale.

Was a little suprised when i saw the price fly up to over £3000 though, just shows how rare it is.

Anybody got a spare 3K to lend me thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I'll second that.

Been after this since the early 80s & this is the 1st copy that i've ever seen for sale.

Was a little suprised when i saw the price fly up to over £3000 though, just shows how rare it is.

Anybody got a spare 3K to lend me thumbsup.gif

first time i heard this record years ago i thought were scraping the barrell a bit here, semi disco, semi funk however if its worth 3k someone must like it :ohmy: sorry it is not me, for all the soulies/record buyers of a certain age how many 70,s records have you chucked or sold for nowt that are BETTER than this imho

Social source share

Gotta say, i do like the record, but at the side of Dolly Gilmore (which , thankfully i have) it's very pale in comparison, Manship sold the Gilmore on the "Sweet, Sweet baby" side, but for me the flip is the "side" a brilliant crossover masterpiece if ever i heard one.........And as the respect grows, this will also reach those foul four figures......

Social source share

There has been a couple on eBay in the past 12 months, went for a lot LOT less. Is it me or are people buying Modern because they think its the next big money area????? Oh , and I failed to get the eBay ones!!!!!
Wish i'd seen em but i'm always a bit cautious when it comes to eBay.

Just out of curiousity what did they go for?

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

I'll second that.

Anybody got a spare 3K to lend me :rolleyes:

Remember Arthur returning from the States with this one, never quite sure about it myself.

I bet Pete Smith would love this .. ahem... :unsure:

Social source share

£3115. Didn't know it was that rare though.

Great record

Jees that is a lot. It is pretty damn rare though. For a long while there were only about 3 copies, think a couple more have turned up since....but still as 'ard as they come.

Remember Arthur returning from the States with this one, never quite sure about it myself.

I bet Pete Smith would love this .. ahem... :rolleyes:

Will be in Pete's all time Top Ten :unsure: I am sure of that!

Social source share

Larom Baker (the man himself) apparently turned up in New York around 18+ months back, just before the ebay copies - around $1200 if I remember right - showed up. Don't know whether there was any connection, but it was a bit coincidental...and I'm sure the sellers were out of NY. The price on the Dolly Gilmore is staggering. I nearly put mine up for £300 a while back, which I thought was the right price...didn't in the end and glad for it now...mainly cos it's a great two-fer, even if the funk side's better. :rolleyes: ...and if Baby Huey's 'Drifting' can go for over $450 anything's possible. :unsure:

Social source share

Just went for a few grand on Mr Manships, and Dolly Gilmore went for £797.....

I much prefer Dolly Gilmore to La-rom Baker both price wise & record wise. Saying that however both tunes are excellent. Also I think its a case of Crossover the final frontier for some, as there's more "grey areas" regarding defining prices with some of the rarer Crossover tunes.

Regards Ritchie. :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

I much prefer Dolly Gilmore to La-rom Baker both price wise & record wise. Saying that however both tunes are excellent. Also I think its a case of Crossover the final frontier for some, as there's more "grey areas" regarding defining prices with some of the rarer Crossover tunes.

Regards Ritchie. :unsure:

Ritchie, have you had a bang on the head recently, tracks like La-rom Baker, you used to call these disco a while back, glad to see you've crossed over :rolleyes: Edited by Netspeaky
Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Ritchie, have you had a bang on the head recently, tracks like La-rom Baker, you used to call these disco a while back, glad to see you've crossed over :rolleyes:

:unsure::lol::lol:

You're sharp this morning Mark - are you snowed in??

Brian

Edited by Brian Ellis
Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

:thumbsup::lol::unsure:

You're sharp this morning Mark - are you snowed in??

Brian

Brian, I'm Ski-ing in the snow this morning :lol: only joking snow in sunny Kinmel Bay yes but not enough to keep me home, how's Wrexham. :rolleyes:
Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Brian, I'm Ski-ing in the snow this morning :unsure: only joking snow in sunny Kinmel Bay yes but not enough to keep me home, how's Wrexham. :rolleyes:

Good 6" worth :lol: !! Not much moving here.

Brian

Social source share

Ritchie, have you had a bang on the head recently, tracks like La-rom Baker, you used to call these disco a while back, glad to see you've crossed over :unsure:

Mark,

I still think its disco-ish (L-R cool.gifcool.gif ....... but hey its 2006 now.

Best regards Ritchie :rolleyes:

Edited by RitchieAndrew
Social source share

Mine was a real bargain then.

Cost me 10p.

Sean, i'm not surprised, Stevie Mannion always speaks highly of you, and i for one would be disappointed if you paid more than a "Shilling" for any of these tracks. :ohmy::yes:

Social source share

I think you might be confused with some of his other purchases from the US. Not my usual era, but as I absolutely adore this record (only heard it first time when Keb released it on a comp some years ago), I therefore bothered to ask that bloke Arthur about it. From what I recall, he got it from Soul Bowl in the late 70's. Then I asked him if he had a spare :ohmy: (not that I'd venture in that sales box) and the bugger said that he had one 20 years ago, but sold it!

I would have at least tried for the eBay copy, but also heard about someone locating LaRom. Never heard any confirmation that he had any for sale, but it was worry enough. Still no confirmation I gather Brew?

- would love one myself someday, it's such a rhythmic romantic record (...well actually, I believe "orgasmic" is how I last described it)

m

Social source share

I think you might be confused with some of his other purchases from the US. Not my usual era, but as I absolutely adore this record (only heard it first time when Keb released it on a comp some years ago), I therefore bothered to ask that bloke Arthur about it. From what I recall, he got it from Soul Bowl in the late 70's. Then I asked him if he had a spare :yes: (not that I'd venture in that sales box) and the bugger said that he had one 20 years ago, but sold it!

I would have at least tried for the eBay copy, but also heard about someone locating LaRom. Never heard any confirmation that he had any for sale, but it was worry enough. Still no confirmation I gather Brew?

- would love one myself someday, it's such a rhythmic romantic record (...well actually, I believe "orgasmic" is how I last described it)

m

I was at one of Arthur and Sams brilliant 'Modern Soul' do's (early eighties) when this came on. Remember looking at it and my head going round and round, not in an exorcist way, as I tried to make out the title as it spun on the deck.

On the'phone to John Anderson every week for months, sadly to no avail.

As I said earlier, those were the day. :ohmy:

Social source share

I was at one of Arthur and Sams brilliant 'Modern Soul' do's (early eighties) when this came on. Remember looking at it and my head going round and round, not in an exorcist way, as I tried to make out the title as it spun on the deck.

On the'phone to John Anderson every week for months, sadly to no avail.

As I said earlier, those were the day. :ohmy:

Too right they were the day's Steve.

Hope Arthur's still got it cos he's doin Modernism for us in April.

You coming :yes:

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Let's hope Sam was able to dig the car out this morning then....he's supposed to be round my gaff at 7. whistling.gif

Sorry Steve - only just spotted this. I hope the owd lad found his way darn sarf. Glad I stayed in doors today if he was on the road.

Good luck in Espana with him; keep him off the sangria (he''ll think it's fruit juice), tell him to look the opposite way round when crossing the road; hope to God he's brought his passport with him.

George Cross for you when you get back mate!!

Brian

Edited by Brian Ellis
Social source share

Guest Awake 502

I think you might be confused with some of his other purchases from the US. Not my usual era, but as I absolutely adore this record (only heard it first time when Keb released it on a comp some years ago), I therefore bothered to ask that bloke Arthur about it. From what I recall, he got it from Soul Bowl in the late 70's. Then I asked him if he had a spare :lol: (not that I'd venture in that sales box) and the bugger said that he had one 20 years ago, but sold it!

Ooops, the new records came so fast back in the early 80's, always thought he brought this back along with Greater Experience.. All that alcohol at Snaith plays tricks on your mind whistling.gif

Ask Arthur about the Highwayman's Halt, now they were memorable dayers.... whistling.gif

Social source share

Ask Arthur about the Highwayman's Halt, now they were memorable dayers.... :yes:

you must be kidding! I had enough 'glory days of wigan' from the english old farts back home, to last me a lifetime of "those were the days" :lol: . I'm not even interested in who discovered what or where it was played, I'd rather worship a soul artist and record any day!

Besides, how could I bring up the subject without being told yet again that I waste my life on 'those internet lists' and should just be looking for records ...for him :yes: .

CUNNIE - yes, he's still got it and plays it for someone :thumbsup: regularly. Sorry I won't make your do, I'll be away - but hope it's a goodie :P

BRIAN - most people here must think you're kidding about Sam, but we're just as worried :P . I hope you stopped him bringing his sales boxes to flight check-in as well :D

m

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

BRIAN - most people here must think you're kidding about Sam, but we're just as worried :lol: . I hope you stopped him bringing his sales boxes to flight check-in as well :yes:

m

Maria

Even if he didn't take his sales box I bet there was chaos at flight check-in. All fingers and thumbs getting his passport out of his pocket! Having to cope with questions like 'Did you pack this yourself, sir?' and 'Has anyone asked you to take anything on to the flight for them, sir'. He'd also be worried sick about whether the scanner would melt his vinyl! And what if they insisted on his records going into the hold!! OMG :yes: .

Really pleased that you and Arthur are able to do Broughton for us later in the year - looking forward to it :thumbsup: .

Brian

Edited by Brian Ellis
Social source share

I think it was a Garethx who reminded us on an another thread that a lot of Northern was generic. That is true but even that 'generic' Northerrn sound is still so many crucial steps away from mainstream High Street DIisco fodder to make it interesting. This Larom Baker record on the other hand, to my ears, is totally without merit in the alternative soul stakes. I'm trying to listen to it for the second time and find it as intensely irritating as a troublesome mosquito. It's musically much more than competent ,surely ,but light years away from what a minority soul record is all about.

Social source share

Larom Baker (the man himself) apparently turned up in New York around 18+ months back, just before the ebay copies - around $1200 if I remember right - showed up. Don't know whether there was any connection, but it was a bit coincidental...and I'm sure the sellers were out of NY. The price on the Dolly Gilmore is staggering. I nearly put mine up for £300 a while back, which I thought was the right price...didn't in the end and glad for it now...mainly cos it's a great two-fer, even if the funk side's better. whistling.gif ...and if Baby Huey's 'Drifting' can go for over $450 anything's possible. :shades:

Wow Claude Huey - Drifting - M.I.O.B for over $450.00!!!!!!.............fantastic record infact all his records are stunning, i had no idea it was this kind of money, nice to have part of the set.....lol Early Bird, Galaxy and the other brilliant M.I.O.B 45 - 'Keep It To Myself' got them both lol, like i say fantastic artist but $450.00 again wow.

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

£3115. Didn't know it was that rare though.

Great record

Wow 3K .. Sam offerd me this for well under a £100 some time ago in the 80's , but I purchased something else off him that I cant remember now :shades: . Graeme Ellis then snaped up Sams copy a week later .

A very rare record btw

Simon

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Wouldn't pay more than £1 for that :shades:

Sounds like a soul/funk/disco record from caister..........and some people moan about hearing R&B at venues.........This is a million miles away from northern/rare soul. IMO of course, every one has differnt tastes, deffinately not for me im affraid :shades:

Social source share

Maria

Even if he didn't take his sales box I bet there was chaos at flight check-in. All fingers and thumbs getting his passport out of his pocket! Having to cope with questions like 'Did you pack this yourself, sir?' and 'Has anyone asked you to take anything on to the flight for them, sir'. He'd also be worried sick about whether the scanner would melt his vinyl! And what if they insisted on his records going into the hold!! OMG :D .

Really pleased that you and Arthur are able to do Broughton for us later in the year - looking forward to it whistling.gif .

Brian

Only I know the full extent of the chaos, and my lips are firmly sealed :D:thumbsup: .....suffice to say it all started with a broken belt and then the handles on the bag carrying the mighty record box broke....and that was pre check in at Stanstead :D

Anyway we had a great time and I sent him on his way back to N Wales on Monday morning...

Brian I'll PM you links to some photos, so the old boy can see what he got up to next time he's round yours......also please tell him we have his trademark "cap" in Cheshunt (he left it behind) - will bring it to Prestatyn Friday Steve

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Only I know the full extent of the chaos, and my lips are firmly sealed :lol:whistling.gif .....suffice to say it all started with a broken belt and then the handles on the bag carrying the mighty record box broke....and that was pre check in at Stanstead :thumbsup:

Anyway we had a great time and I sent him on his way back to N Wales on Monday morning...

Brian I'll PM you links to some photos, so the old boy can see what he got up to next time he's round yours......also please tell him we have his trademark "cap" in Cheshunt (he left it behind) - will bring it to Prestatyn Friday Steve

Steve

Thanks for the photos; I'll sit him in front of my computer to look at them soon (doubtless to protestations that he can't use computers and that they give him a headache!).

Sounds like you had a good time despite the slight pandemonium at Stanstead check-in. A modern day Harry Worth methinks hypo.gif !!

Brian

Social source share

Steve

Thanks for the photos; I'll sit him in front of my computer to look at them soon (doubtless to protestations that he can't use computers and that they give him a headache!).

Sounds like you had a good time despite the slight pandemonium at Stanstead check-in. A modern day Harry Worth methinks :lol: !!

Brian

Yes excellent time with an excellent crowd!

Social source share

I think it was a Garethx who reminded us on an another thread that a lot of Northern was generic. That is true but even that 'generic' Northerrn sound is still so many crucial steps away from mainstream High Street DIisco fodder to make it interesting. This Larom Baker record on the other hand, to my ears, is totally without merit in the alternative soul stakes. I'm trying to listen to it for the second time and find it as intensely irritating as a troublesome mosquito. It's musically much more than competent ,surely ,but light years away from what a minority soul record is all about.

LAROM BAKER IS NOT NEARLY AS AWFUL AS THAT TERRIBLE "CANT NOBODY LOVE ME LIKE YOU DO" THING BY STORM !!!

:lol:

Social source share

you must be kidding! I had enough 'glory days of wigan' from the english old farts back home, to last me a lifetime of "those were the days" :lol:

................................................................................

Yeah , there's a of them old farts Down Under, Maria , think they own Soul Music ! God bless 'em !

Remember don't say BLOODY 'ELL to an Englishman ! :lol:

Social source share

Sounds like you had a good time despite the slight pandemonium at Stanstead check-in. A modern day Harry Worth methinks :lol: !!

I can get any man to a pc too, even Sam :lol:

..he said it was everything that we said the European nights were - so he loved it! Coincidently, we were at a Berlin soul night last weekend and the Germans are very much looking forward to his visit.

I still think SteveG was a brave man :thumbsup:

m

ps. looking forward to Broughton and thanks again for asking Brian. Sorry I had to make us the same night, but practicalities and all that. Just finally bought a car, so maybe one day I'll get a road map for this little country of yours :thumbsup:

Social source share

I can get any man to a pc too, even Sam :D

..he said it was everything that we said the European nights were - so he loved it! Coincidently, we were at a Berlin soul night last weekend and the Germans are very much looking forward to his visit.

I still think SteveG was a brave man :D

m

Hey - you know I'll always face a challenge :lol: Actually it was good fun Maria, and he was very well behaved, apart from his stonking cold - which after repeated spluttering and sneezing all over the place invariably passed on to me :angry: ...He has also discovered "Calimari" (covered up in breadcrumbs), Monkfish and Tapas, and it sounds like he has now got the continental travelling bug! :lol:

See y'all tomorow.

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Hey - you know I'll always face a challenge :lol: Actually it was good fun Maria, and he was very well behaved, apart from his stonking cold - which after repeated spluttering and sneezing all over the place invariably passed on to me :angry: ...He has also discovered "Calimari" (covered up in breadcrumbs), Monkfish and Tapas, and it sounds like he has now got the continental travelling bug! :lol:

See y'all tomorow.

Steve

Bet he thought they were onion rings and that tapas was something to do with his rear-end. I've had the full post mortem on his cold and the saga of the snapped bag handles. Well done Steve for bringing him back in one piece :D - medal on its way mate (how do you spell your surname???!!!)

Brian

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert