Prestatyn 2006 - First Word

very quick brief thoughts as just got thru door

had great time there

Precisions were awesome, their showcase spot was "one of those moments "

more later in own lookback at event with hopefully some sound clips, video, photos accompying all going ons while there

• Replies 182
  • Views 20.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Just back also, so don't want to go to work tomorrow :angry:

Precisions OUT-STANDING

Friday nite for me was Soul Sam & Rob Wigley's (first half) set :)

Saturday was worth the wait til 2:30; come worship at the altar of Dr Bob, Gospel Dance wow :thumbsup:

It wasn't as cold as expected whistling.gif

Well done to Rob, John and the rest of the team :yes:

looks like had a big joe turner lifted from sales box, if saw anyone with it or ought let us know, it was in plain cover as pic cover at back seperate

You were not the only one that got a record lifted...I'll leave it at that..

and they call themselves SOULIES ....................

Rob W

looks like had a big joe turner lifted from sales box, if saw anyone with it or ought let us know, it was in plain cover as pic cover at back seperate

You were not the only one that got a record lifted...I'll leave it at that..

and they call themselves SOULIES ....................

Seems like there's a bit of an increase of this happening on the scene .... did Pat Brady have one go missing at Prestatyn too?

My husband had one go 'missing' at the Greatstone the other week .... not nice....

Had a brilliant time, enjoyed the live acts & chatting to the artists, nice to meet some soul sourcers but who was wearing the backless suit in the House of Soul Saturday night whistling.gif had a nice rear :thumbsup:

Seems like there's a bit of an increase of this happening on the scene .... did Pat Brady have one go missing at Prestatyn too?My husband had one go 'missing' at the Greatstone the other week .... not nice....

They should do what Pete Widdison always used to do....And Keep a Baseball bat handy, he would get it out every now & again & just tap his hand with it, A good deterant....I have seen him chase someone & give them a hiding & get his records back....

Jon Buck

Seems like there's a bit of an increase of this happening on the scene .... did Pat Brady have one go missing at Prestatyn too?

My husband had one go 'missing' at the Greatstone the other week .... not nice....

Yes Pat had a 7 souls....lifted ......

the trouble is though the records are now that expensive they can lift a record and get a weeks wages . they need a good kicking aggressive.gifaggressive.gif

Rob W

They should do what Pete Widdison always used to do....And Keep a Baseball bat handy, he would get it out every now & again & just tap his hand with it, A good deterant....I have seen him chase someone & give them a hiding & get his records back....

Jon Buck

Dont think Pat needs a bat somehow.. being a X boxer ..

find you a firing squad would not put some of the A~~eholes off

Rob w

They should do what Pete Widdison always used to do....And Keep a Baseball bat handy

Standard issue for the soul police.

Stealing records at a soul do - how low can you go? Can't be true fans or they wouldn't run the risk of being life long outcasts if they got caught. Probably stand on your toe on the dancefloor and laugh. aggressive.gif

Guest Dodger

Standard issue for the soul police.

Stealing records at a soul do - how low can you go? Can't be true fans or they wouldn't run the risk of being life long outcasts if they got caught. Probably stand on your toe on the dancefloor and laugh. aggressive.gif

Or dance next to you holding a pint and a fag!! aggressive.gif

very quick brief thoughts as just got thru door

had great time there

Precisions were awesome, their showcase spot was "one of those moments "

more later in own lookback at event with hopefully some sound clips, video, photos accompying all going ons while there

Just got back. Had a great time as ever. Managed to miss the artists showcase AGAIN. ( must try harder next time ) Never bought a single record for a change. Wondering where the time has gone cant believe 4 days can go so quickly aggressive.gif Anybody know the results of Karen,s Chin Stroking contest :D . Need to sleep now aggressive.gif PS. Jenny Banks And Tracy Watson should have won the dance contest dressed in them Sumo wrestler suits

Steve

Edited by winsford soul

Just got in from the weekender what can i say 1 of the best ones for me IMO absolutely brill the music,the people,the atmosphere and the live acts what more can you ask for,btw did anyone notice a lot of debris on the dance floor in the main room sat night bits of paper everywhere..bring on 2007.as for records being lifted deffo not soulies an absolute disgrace..

Malc

Guest Russ Smith

Absolutely top drawer weekend, artists were stunning ...

Doni Burdick was quite the strangest looking fella with eccentric dance moves galore... Magic !

Masqueraders were awesome.

As for the lowlifes who were lifting 45s, this was a problem in the late 70s but had (almost) disappeared,

very much saddened to see it happening again.

Still loved the weekend and roll on the next one.

What a Wonderful, Wonderful time I had at the weekender never in a million years when i bought

45,s by the Masqueraders, Precisions, Dean Courtney, Nolan Porter, Lou Ragland and Donni Burdick,

back in the 70,s did I ever imagine that I would get to hear such legends sing live the tunes that get my feet

moving and send shivers down my spine WOW can these guys sing and I mean sing Thursday afternoon

standing with Gilly durin the artist warm up sessions the guys from the Precisions had us both in tears

this is Soul the vocals cannot be described you had to be there and listen it was special really special

when Doni Burdick sang I have faith in you I thought blimey this is unreal this guy has soul and then some

to much and this was only a warm up in front of around 30 soulies who where witnessing something that will live with them forever...... All the artist involved including the backing musicians who where totally out of this world musically where some of the most genuine , kindhearted, friendly people you will ever meet nothing was too much trouble for them even during mealtimes they would chat, pose for pictures, sign autographs

records, pictures ect special mention to Donni Burdick & Dean Courtneys Wifes who like their fellas

spent hours chatting to people !!! Come Sat nite could,nt wait for the show when it arrived it blew everyone

away soul music at its greatest it was top drawer so soulful and you would never have believed those guys who made such wonderful music back in the 60,s could ever sing like that it was like being transported back

to another time and place ! After the show the guys stayed up into the early hours 4am signing records ,posters ect my highlight having my How on Labeat signed and the guys saying Hey the real deal

then putting his arm around after signin one of the guys said How can we go on then sang with me a few bars of the Detroit monster !!! Memory hey you better believe it still have a tear in my eye thinkin about it.

Everyone involved in Prestatyn Weekender 06 Rob Wigley, John Poole, Mark Fletcher, Fish all the people in the background Bernie O,Brien staff of Pontins all the DJ,S who played such awesome spots Barrrington

Henderson and Kenny Thomas who in the modern arena sang their hearts and souls out who i had the misfortune to bloody miss due to other commitments grrr but to all accounts where brilliant !

Heartfelt thanks for a great time ! Myself having been booked to DJ Sat morn at 5am managed to get a couple more hours in Thurs nite and Fri afternoon thanks to Andy McCabe Soultown main man for that

when we arrived Thursday Andy Mc looked nice and tanned when i left Sunday nite the poor guy looked a whiter shade of pale through lack of sleep and 500 + bottles of Bud !!!!! He He......

I will finish on this............................

THIS IS SOUL......REMEMBER...BUT FOR BLACK AMERICIAN SOUL MUSIC WE WOULD NEVER HAVE MET SO MANY NICE PEOPLE, BECOME VERY GOOD FRIENDS WITH SO MANY OR HAD OUR LIVES

FULFILLED BY A TYPE OF MUSIC WHICH FOR MANY OF US IS NOT JUST A HOBBY BUT A WAY OF LIFE.. DONT KEEP THE FAITH.. SPREAD IT !!!

LOVE , PEACE & HAPPINESS.. IAN CUNLIFFE

Great weekend again at Prestatyn.

Got a real buzz from DJ'ing in the Modern room on Thursday with Cliff Dale, Mark Randle & John Cane & then the weekend just seemed to get better & better.

Was great to see so many folks in all the rooms really enjoying themselves at what has to be the event of the year yet again.

My personal highlights were funnily enough both in the House Of Soul on 2 different nights but both for the same reason, Soul Sam on friday & Jamie Taylor on Saturday both really going for it with so much enthusiasm it had to be seen to be believed. Funny thing is Sam must have been the oldest Jock there & Jamie the youngest.

Missed the live acts in the main room as i was doing the radio show (some bugger has to!) but Kenny Thomas was awesome on Sunday.

Wiggle's Poolie & Fish i take my hat off to you guy's aggressive.gif

Roll on next year....

Edited by CUNNIE

Jon Buck

I remember when dealers used to have a piece of 10mm steel bar right through the centre of the record box and through the centre of the 45's , each end with nuts on the end. If someone bought a record you undid the nut removed the bar and refitted it. A pain in the arse but better than loosing your vinyl.

Four fantastic days, outstanding.Best dj's at the event for me where Dave Rippoles in the Crossover room and also Modern room (Friday/Saturday) John Weston and Keith Money in the Queen Vic Sunday. Great to hear Spread Love, Dolly Gilmore, Nathan Williams, Chuck Cockerham amongst many others(Mention also to for Joe Dutton and co in the Queen Vic, always great fun and good music) .

Edited by Brett

Overall I'd agree with most of the above positive comments.

I especially thought that the music played in the main hall was 100% better in quality than last years.

But I do have one complaint regarding music played on saturday night in the 'modern' rooms. There was way too much garage played. Two rooms (Modern Room & Room 5) were primarily set aside for modern. Twice I walked out of Room 5 because they were playing garage into the Modern Room where they were also playing garage. How daft is that?

Col.

Quote of the weekender by myself in the modern room Sat when i was walkin through to the Queen Vic

Some guy stopped me and said are those 45,s for sale daft as a brush i turned to him and said

look mate I,ve a better chance of sellin my arse in here than whats in this box ! aggressive.gif

Quote of the weekender by myself in the modern room Sat when i was walkin through to the Queen Vic

Some guy stopped me and said are those 45,s for sale daft as a brush i turned to him and said

look mate I,ve a better chance of sellin my arse in here than whats in this box ! aggressive.gif

Errmmm ....... what's all this about a Go Go dancer Mr. Cunliffe?

I've seen many live acts over the years, to many to remember but the Precisions were just phenomenal aggressive.gif probably the best I've seen!! The vocal performance from "Billy" was simply awesome. How these guys could have been allowed to drift away from the US music business beggars belief. All the talk was of the Masqueraders and how good they were, which they were btw but the Precisions just blew them away IMHO. I really hope someone gets those guys back over here for a full show of all their material, talking to Billy later he was very hopeful that it is gonna happen.

those people who spoke to artists, what was their general perception of the weekend? especially first timers like the precisions? did they know what to expect?

Errmmm ....... what's all this about a Go Go dancer Mr. Cunliffe?

===============================================================

:Dthumbup.gif:D

No throwing Things at the dj just dance girl dance , blimey slow down Joan your movin faster

than Lady Penelope when her strings are worked by a puppeter who,s gobbed 10 green & clears unsure.gif

Would like to thank the midnite hour boys for a great weekend defo the best for me so far.Thanks to john poole for letting soultown and lifeline have the pub on fri we had all the regular soultown life line jocks on plus a few guests who helped out,so ian cunnlife colin wood and hammie a pat on the back for 3 top class sets .I also ran the djs in the main room thurs nite so again many thanks to all the djs who helped out for makeing thurs nite so good.Best laugh of the weekend came fri nite miself ian cunnliffe and mick h on stage one of the decks was playing a little low for ian so didnt notice mick going into the toilets at the back of the stage i just pressumed he had gone back to the record bar,40 mins later a very groggy looking mick stumbles out of the toilet door poor lad had nodded off on the toilet,but obviously i promised not to tell anyone.To many people to thank for makeing it such a laugh but heres a few that made this weekend very good,dave rimmer and john weston very funny stories boys,molly tracy mick h and the girls top party,ian cunnliffe very good company,pete hulet colin wood and shirley for a realy good sun nite,chalky and mr dyson always good to to see you,kev murphy and sharon you have got your hands full there girl,and gilly my room mate for second year cant wait for oct thumbup.gif

those people who spoke to artists, what was their general perception of the weekend? especially first timers like the precisions? did they know what to expect?

============================================================================

Talkin with Donni and his lovely wife and those great guys from the Precisions I think they where

gobsmacked that over 3000 people had come to listen to them and clap, cheer and shout for more

during their performances Sat nite, they seemed to find it amazing that recordings they made nearly

40 yrs ago where in such demand on original 45,s and that people where willing to pay crazy $$$

to get them Donni,s wife Rhoda was amazed when i showed her my copy of I have faith in you

and where it was found in the mid 70,s ..Lovely people and well worth waiting all these years to meet

I felt totally humbled in their company that they would spend time talking with myself and many others

even when they must have been very tired from the awesome Prestatyn Experience

It must have made the lovely fellas from the Precisions feel wanted and needed after all those years

you can bet your last dollar that when they cut those awesome tracks back in the 60,s never in a million years did they ever expect what happened this weekend when they rightfully claimed their LEGEND status

at long last !!!

Ian Cunliffe

============================================================================

Talkin with Donni and his lovely wife and those great guys from the Precisions I think they where

gobsmacked that over 3000 people had come to listen to them and clap, cheer and shout for more

during their performances Sat nite, they seemed to find it amazing that recordings they made nearly

40 yrs ago where in such demand on original 45,s and that people where willing to pay crazy $$$

to get them Donni,s wife Rhoda was amazed when i showed her my copy of I have faith in you

and where it was found in the mid 70,s ..Lovely people and well worth waiting all these years to meet

I felt totally humbled in their company that they would spend time talking with myself and many others

even when they must have been very tired from the awesome Prestatyn Experience

It must have made the lovely fellas from the Precisions feel wanted and needed after all those years

you can bet your last dollar that when they cut those awesome tracks back in the 60,s never in a million years did they ever expect what happened this weekend when they rightfully claimed their LEGEND status

at long last !!!

Ian Cunliffe

great stuff ian ta thumbup.gif

[quote name='Soultown andy' Best laugh of the weekend came fri nite miself ian cunnliffe and mick h on stage one of the decks was playing a little low for ian so didnt notice mick going into the toilets at the back of the stage i just pressumed he had gone back to the record bar,40 mins later a very groggy looking mick stumbles out of the toilet door poor lad had nodded off

=============================================================================

Hey Andy talking about Mr Mick H what about when myself you and Andy Dyson where sat down behind Mick H durin his spot when that crazy woman came whizzing past on that trolley pushed by her barnyed mate and nearly fell onto Micks 45,s which where all stood up in his box ready to play :D

How mad was that thumbup.gif poor Mick would have still been stickin them together with sellotape

if she had,nt just missed them unsure.gif

Guest realsoulfan

This was my 1st Prestatyn weekender and definately not my last all i can say is that's how any weekender should be. :D

No hype just people enjoying which ever room they was in and the artist chatting eating and drinking with paying punters where else would you see that.

Only thing that really bothered me through out what was an excellant weekend all tho i fully enjoyed his set Kenny Thomas didn't sing HIM due to not having the backing tracks to do this unsure.gif

a record which has been played at most modern soul venues up and down the country for well over a year.

It wil be very interesting if he sings it at the hilton thumbup.gif

gah. I lost my glasses - if anyone found a pair of black frames on the floor somewhere please pm me.....Brett - I know you stole them

======================================================================

A silver ladies watch was found i handed it into reception Sat morn.......... thumbup.gif

Fantastic weekend and another success for the Midnight hour team who work very hard to make it happen. Brill live acts and all round great music - the perfect antidote to the cold weather and boy is that part of the country cold or what! I got Doni Burdick to introduce Bari Track and I have faith in you in my set on Sunday afternoon which was very surreal unsure.gif . All the artists and their wives were lovely people. I also met a lot of DJ's and soulies I hadn't met before and they were all top bananas.

If you have got the strength to get to Cambridge this Friday Doni will be doing a PA for the East anglia Soulies - he really is a great guy and would love to meet as many people as possible while he's here. Details on www.eastangliasoul.co.uk

Real bad news about 45's going missing - I spent a lot of time telling the artists and wives what a wonderful scene it was and how friendly people are - thieving is very fortunately still a minority affair at events although from what people have said it seems to be on the increase - what a sour taste it leaves in the mouths of the rest of us :D

Thanks again to the organisers thumbup.gif time to catch up on them :D

Mike Bolderson

===============================================================

:Dthumbup.gif:D

No throwing Things at the dj just dance girl dance , blimey slow down Joan your movin faster

than Lady Penelope when her strings are worked by a puppeter who,s gobbed 10 green & clears unsure.gif

:D:D:lol: would have loved to have heard you trying to say that early Sunday morning ... you know... when you were kicking that fruit machine ...

:Dunsure.gif:D would have loved to have heard you trying to say that early Sunday morning ... you know... when you were kicking that fruit machine ...

==========================================================================

God what fruit machine ! early Sun cant remember early today never mind Sun

Funny tho seem to remember some chick flashin her eyes at me then spewing up on the floor

come to think of it that could have been a fruit machine , dont tell me i walked off after droppin the jackpot

thumbup.gif

Guest Dodger

Only thing that really bothered me through out what was an excellant weekend all tho i fully enjoyed his set Kenny Thomas didn't sing HIM due to not having the backing tracks to do this :D

a record which has been played at most modern soul venues up and down the country for well over a year.

It wil be very interesting if he sings it at the hilton thumbup.gif

Book up for Birmingham and find out if you're that bothered about hearing him sing it!! unsure.gif:lol::D

==========================================================================

God what fruit machine ! early Sun cant remember early today never mind Sun

Funny tho seem to remember some chick flashin her eyes at me then spewing up on the floor

Can i just say .... it wasn't me ....

hi joan what went missing you should have said something, do not want this sort of thing happening any time at the greatstone or anywhere, i hate this it really annoys me,

mark

Four fantastic days, outstanding.Best dj's at the event for me where Dave Rippoles in the Crossover room and also Modern room (Friday/Saturday) John Weston and Keith Money in the Queen Vic Sunday. Great to hear Spread Love, Dolly Gilmore, Nathan Williams, Chuck Cockerham amongst many others(Mention also to for Joe Dutton and co in the Queen Vic, always great fun and good music) . Socially fantastic had a ball with my partners in crime Rachel, Rich and and Sharon, Shane, Baz etc.

just to let you know brett we have dave at the greatstone in may.

mark

Edited by mark.b

Enjoyed my third Prestatyn although had picked up virus early in the week(typical),really lifted me out of the sickness watching the live acts and meeting and chatting with them later,awesome wonderful talented people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....regarding the thieving.............I don't know about anyone else but I had the feeling that about 25% of punters there were not normally active on the scene? and perhaps,maybe,well ya never know thumbup.gif

Guest ang b

had a great time, suffering for it now & thanks mandy fpr introducingm me to some ss members,sorry to any one i offenderd by dressin up as a police woman & walkin in to record room to make a few arrests (cardiac arrests)

& then i sadly found a bike & borrowed it about 5.00am sat morn & went policing the comunity with my flashing police helmet round the camp, i told you we have a good laugh, i didnt notice anyone acting suspicious only me, mandy told you all im more than mad,

ps i did return the push bike after duty

carnt wait for next year

With regards to the record theft,i think it has always gone on but it is thankfuly a very small bunch of people ,the fact is 99% of people into djing record collecting etc are totaly trust worthy.I left my dj box with jenny and roger banks,mr and mrs pikeys dog[sorry for talking your ears mrs pikeys dog]took my sales box for the weekend and it was probably safer than it was with me.When caught these people must be exsposed and banned from all venues.

Source Advert