Latin Influenced Soul

Guest meaty

Guest meaty

I have been in love lately with hard soul tracks like Isonics - Sugar and The Exits - You Got To Have Money and Otis Jackson and the Compromisers - Turn off the Lights. with a latin rock/soul edge to them. Any further reccomendations for soul records with this type of sound?

Social source share

• Replies 74
  • Views 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

rich buckley's a bit of an expert on latin soul, sure he'll post up a few suggestions or you could PM him :huh:

theres the joe bataan stuff, to add to the list above

Social source share

Guest meaty

rich buckley's a bit of an expert on latin soul, sure he'll post up a few suggestions or you could PM him thumbsup.gif

theres the joe bataan stuff, to add to the list above

thanks guys, I wasn't really looking for Latin Soul per se (i.e. Fania, Cotique etc.) more so black groups who threw a latin swing into it. Thanks for the suggestions though!

Social source share

A number of New York wriers and producers picked up on the Bossa Nova beat and used its influences on a number of early sixties records. Leiber and Stoller produced the Drifters so "Sweets for my Sweets" "One Way Love" and "Mexican Divorce" have their roots in latin Music.

When they moved to Red Bird they released Tippi and The Clovers "Bossa Nova baby" and "My Heart Said (The Bossa Nova)"

There are two soul acts to be heard on Reflections on Latin Soul which is more of a show about abou R&B influence on latin music.

You can listen to it here

https://www.radiomagnetic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2941

Social source share

Guest meaty

thanks for all the tips, I'm liking what I'm hearing here. I actually turned up 5 or 6 copies of the La Familia LP last year. A big seller in Japan!!

I am almost positive there is a cover out there of the Spanish Maiden tune, that is equally as nice.

Social source share

Guest meaty

For those interested, I have a latin rock mix I did for Dan Zacks waxing deep radio show a while back. Starts at about 10 min in, after his talking.

https://www.waxingdeep.org/radio/20_10_05.mp3

More heavy on the rock side, but lots of tunes that could qualify as "latin soul" as well. Almost all of the records are from Mexico, and quite rare! I think you'll understand the type of soul tunes I was asking for after hearing the choice of tunes.

Enjoy.

Social source share

Guest adam b

Hello all - first time post

Track I'm feeling at the moment;

Joe Bataan - I'm Satisfied. (From Yo! Hot Latin Funk from the Barrio)

Check the break, cloud nine........and when joe asks 'show me whistles'...

Love Dave Coleman 'Drown my heart in Tears' - anyone got an mp3? Used to have it on tape a long time ago....

Social source share

That Marv Johnson "come on and stop" is an exact copy of a track called "Jamaica Ska" by The Ska Kings which came out on Atlantic in the States. Unless they copied it off him...anyway play them both together, they are identical.

One of the best of the latin influenced records is Tommy Navarro - I Cried My Life Away, but there's a few corkers on Garnet Mimms Warm & Soulful LP.

Social source share

2 of my very favourite Latin influenced tunes are-

Ron & Embracers- You came into my heart - Spectrum

Bitter & The Sweet - I won't have any babies for you - Anything & Everything

Cheers

Steve

....not forgetting 'There you go' by Edwin Starr and the brill instrumental version by The Fania All Stars!!!!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest kofi333

perhaps these apply?

We're Not Too Young To Fall In Love - Jackey Beavers Show

I Want A Girl - Blue Steam

I Love You Baby - Ambers

m

DAMN I LOVE THE LATIN SOUL BALLADS.CHECK OUT THIS CDS CALLED CHICANO SOUL,LOST CHICANO OLDIES VOL.1-2. AND THIS KILLER ONE CALLED A SWEETER SIDE OF LATIN SOUL.

www.mictlan.com.

WILL POST SOME OF THE SONGS LATER FOR YOU TO ENJOY.

Social source share

thanks for all the tips, I'm liking what I'm hearing here. I actually turned up 5 or 6 copies of the La Familia LP last year. A big seller in Japan!!

I've got a copy of the LP for sale, £40..00 shipping in the UK. Email me at davethorley@aol.com

Other great latin tracks to look out for

Latin Soul - Mongo Santamaria Columbia (Old Dave Withers tune)

Now generation - Mongo Santamaria Columbia (Big early Wigan tune)

Willow Band - - Willowman Epic (Killer 70's soul)

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

On this latin slant.......does anyone know the wonderful soulful latin track that is played at the odeon cinema when the orange film add is on?????????

Not having been tothe odeon recently I'm not sure this is the right one but they used to play Pete Rodriguez and I Like it Like that.

Social source share

Guest Darks

I can't decide if I like this or not, but it's worth a mention here:

Leon Thomas - "Just in time to see the sun" - Flying Dutchman

I've seen it on the odd playlist just recently, so must assume someone likes it :thumbsup:

Brilliant record. A record that will re-charge anyones batteries.

Uptempo latin jazz trumpet workout with great vocals. Been playing for a while even though I had to borrow a copy of my friend Kev Etheridge. Not sure if it fits in with any Northern/Modern format that seems to constrain most DJ's.

On 45 and LP "Full Circle"

Its also on a double best of, can't remember label, Soul Brother I think, but be careful it's the completely wrong track!

Great stuff.

Regards Alan

Social source share

Latin Soul ..love it ,here is a couple to look out for ,well three

Lebron brothers-Funky blues

hector revera-do it to me

bobby valentine- use it before you lose it

Regards..Bazza

Edited by mike
Social source share

Love it. Sounds like a great club. At the right place at the right time theres nothing better.

Yes, that Harlem River Drive tune sure is fab!. :lol: Glad you liked it, sounded awesome last friday. As for the club I run, here's the homepage if you're interested:

https://www.clubunderstanding.com/

All of the text is in swedish, but there are photos, flyers, lots of sound clips and a bunch of 60-minute MP3-mixes for downloading if you look around a bit... the music policy is supposed to be all over the place, but it turns out 90% soul, funk, disco and r&b most of the nights anyway... by the way "lyssna" means "listen"... good luck... :lol:

Social source share

Latin Soul ..love it ,here is a couple to look out for ,well three

Lebron brothers-Funky blues

hector revera-do it to me

bobby valentine- use it before you lose it

Regards..Bazza

Bazza, I've just bought Hector Rivera - I'll give it a spin for you if you come down to the Attic Cub again :thumbsup:

Steve

Social source share

we play latin tinged music from right through the 60s at Pow Wow club in Sheffield. From stuff like Bobby Scott - i gotta run now from late 50s / early 60s via stuff like David Coleman 'drown my heart' & Benny Spellman 'this is for you...' to stuff from the late 60s / early 70s, like this one which is pretty good, a Jimmy SAbater 45 on Tico. Middle 8's a bit dodgy but wait till the end...'roll wit yo bad self momma!':

Social source share

Here's one I've just picked up a week or two ago. :D

-Mike

Now THAT is a tune! I really like that :D Far cry from their You're Gonna Make Me Cry but right up front with Chicano Power!

Social source share

Guest SteveC

Here's one I've been after for some time and obtained on Sat night. Trying to explain to Steve Cato what its like so hopefully he'll catch this download. Its Roy Hamilton - b side to You can count on me.

Social source share

Here's one I've been after for some time and obtained on Sat night. Trying to explain to Steve Cato what its like so hopefully he'll catch this download. Its Roy Hamilton - b side to You can count on me.

Great tune Steve.new to me .its a corker

Bazza

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!