Emmanuel Laskey R.i.p

Sad news just received that my friend Emmanuel has passed. One of the truly good guys and one hell of a voice. His Thelma recordings rank of some of the finest performances ever, as well as his other material for a variety of labels.His gentle manner and personal warmth will be long remembered and greatly missed.

Social source share

• Replies 36
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Sad news just received that my friend Emmanuel has passed. One of the truly good guys and one hell of a voice. His Thelma recordings rank of some of the finest performances ever, as well as his other material for a variety of labels.His gentle manner and personal warmth will be long remembered and greatly missed.

Very sad new indeed, all his 45s were superb soul records, one of the best of the detroit artists

RIP

regards

Paul

Social source share

RIP True soulman, one of THE greatest.

Russ

Social source share

Very sad news, another great, gone

RIP

Social source share

Guest Simon

Very very sad, 'Peace loving man' especially is a fantastic tune with truly great lyrics!

I shall spin this at the Brighton alldayer tomorrow in your memory.

RIP Mr Laskey

Simon

Social source share

Emanuel Laskey .... along with Lee Rogers ... were two of the best soul singers around.

You can buy any record by these two without having heard it before and never be disappointed ... there aren't many you can say that about.

Tremendous talent .... i'm just glad it was shared with us.

Edited by jumpinjoan
Social source share

Guest Bearsoul

ANOTHER SAD LOSS ! ONLY PLAYING 'MORE LOVE' YESTERDAY...PLENTY OF RARER SIDES BUT ALWAYS LOVED THIS... AND OTHER SIDE 'A LETTER FROM VIETNAM'......THE INTRO TO ' MORE LOVE' IS PRICELESS...' I'VE GOT A BIG HEART....FILLED WITH LOVE FOR YOU DARLING' ...ALWAYS GETS ME............TRULY SAD LOSS !!!!!

Social source share

this is very sad news when i first heard peace loving man at the catacombs some 30 odd years ago this record allways stuck in my mind not to mention the ultra atmospheric sweet lies on the flip the world is a much sadder place with out the great EMMANUEL LASKEY r.i.p. woody :Dph34r.gif:ohmy:

Social source share

I am saddened to hear this news, one of the true unsung heros of the soul scene, a phrase often over-used; not in this case. I would say that it was probably "Peace Loving Man" that first made me aware of the vast gulf between the polished sound of Motown Detroit and the less sucessful but, none the less musically distinguished sound of the second string players of the motortown, from "Welfare Cheese" on I don't think I ever found a record of his I was disapointed with.

A couple of years back when the Detroit Historical Society had tracked him down and got him involved, I had hoped I would finally get to see him perform, sadly this is not to be the case.

"There's a girl, I wanna marry real soon,

we got it planned for the 15th of June,

but, it may not turn out that way,

cos, uncle sam wants to take me away "

R.I.P. Emanuel Laskey

Sweet Dreams

Edited by Tony Smith
Social source share

Always loved his voice from first hearing him, he had a lovely fragile quality to his voice, kind of wobbly, trembly, hard to describe but I'm sure you know what I mean he could really put it across, a great soul singer, I just hope he knew how much he was respected.

Thank you so very much Emmanuel Laskey RiP

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

Always loved his voice from first hearing him, he had a lovely fragile quality to his voice, kind of wobbly, trembly, hard to describe but I'm sure you know what I mean he could really put it across, a great soul singer, I just hope he knew how much he was respected.

Thank you so very much Emmanuel Laskey RiP

I couldn't put it any better than this and the other posts RIP :(

Edited by mrs norman maine
Social source share

Very sad news. When you think about detroit 45s and artists other than motown, there can't be many that put out as many 45s as him and with such quality. Not a duffer amongst them. Although Sweet Lies/ Peace Loving Man is one of the more popular, for me "Don't Lead Me On" is much more subtle which I first heard when a certain Mr Bicknell used to reside in my home town in north wales. A class act who probably deserved more than he got, but maybe that just adds to the romanticism and mystique that makes up our scene. Certainly a hero for me (and that is a term so oft abused, but not in this case) and I'm just very sorry we never got the chance to see him over here, despite the best efforts of a few people I know who tried.

RIP Emmanuel and I'm glad you Lead Me On. I hope someone on here passes this thread onto his family and friends over the pond. Sleep tight.

Rich

Social source share

REALLY REALLY SAD NEWS SO MANY RECORDS ARE MY FAVS INCLUDING MORE LOVE ON WESTBOUND AND THE BRILLIANT LEAVE ON MY FEET.FIRST PLAYED SWEET LIES IN THE EARLY EIGHTIES IN NEWTON AYCLIFFE AND IT ALWAYS MADE ME FEEL HUMBLE, LOVING .GONNA PLAY A FEW TONIGHT INCLUDING JUST THE WAY ON THE BRILLIANT MUSIC CITY LOGO ,HE GOT EVEN BETTER IN THE SEVENTIES.

RIP SOUL BROTHER!

Social source share

Whenever I read these posts regarding the sad deaths of our heros, male or female, I can't help feeling greatful to all of you collectors and DJ's who have found, kept and play the music of these stars and therefore keep them alive long after they have left us.

I thank you for this.

Rest In Peace Emanuel Lasky and all of you other wonderful soul singers who have gone. Your freinds will not forget you.

Drew.

Social source share

Whenever I read these posts regarding the sad deaths of our heros, male or female, I can't help feeling greatful to all of you collectors and DJ's who have found, kept and play the music of these stars and therefore keep them alive long after they have left us.

I thank you for this.

Rest In Peace Emanuel Lasky and all of you other wonderful soul singers who have gone. Your freinds will not forget you. Drew.

How do you top what you've said Andrew. R.I.P. Emanuel Lansky, your songs will live on (Don't lead me on baby)

Social source share

I interviewed Emmanuel on Soul 24-7 in 2001. He was very wary of Brits and felt that several people had ripped him off of his vinyl etc. Thus a condition of the interview was that I didn't circulate it or profiteer from doing it. I of course held to my word, but still have this interview on minidisc somewhere at home. I chatted with him for about 45 mins and played some of his records. He was enthusiastic, and spoke well of a number of Detroit luminaries and the music scene generally. I think I should try and find that interview, I am sure it would sound good today.

Social source share

Guest paulf

Sad news

I would rate Peace Loving Man and Sweet Lies as a double sider in my all time 10 Ten along with it's singer...

In fact I remember planning PLM when on vacation and someone told me on over the phone that Stafford TOTW allnighters had finished. It was THE record that helped keep my faith. It has always been in my play box and one of my most cherished records -it's value in soul terms is priceless...

I'm going to get married on the 15th June but Uncle Sam might send me away...

Social source share

I interviewed Emmanuel on Soul 24-7 in 2001. He was very wary of Brits and felt that several people had ripped him off of his vinyl etc. Thus a condition of the interview was that I didn't circulate it or profiteer from doing it. I of course held to my word, but still have this interview on minidisc somewhere at home......

Another great singer gone R I P.

Not the first time I've heard bout artists being duped out of their personal vinyl by some unscrupulous "soulie"

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert