Green Detroit Executives Withdrawn ?

Pete S

Why do people think this was withdrawn?  I don't think it was, I just think it's mega rare.  And the orange ones came out 8 years later so it wasn't shelved and then reissued straight away - it's just got a bump on the run in.

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I bought one of the green ones from "Blues & Soul" mag when they used to advertise records in the inside back cover poss. 72/73. They advertised other side "sho-nuff hot pants" and it cost £0.30p.  I got it with a few others and bought it cos it had Detroit in the group name.

I sold it early eighties to Guy for £3.00!

Louis

• Helpful 2
Social source share

If they re-pressed it because of a fault then they didn't do a very good job with the orange label copies

I've seen copies that play off centre, some where the labels are offset in the run out and plenty with a warp

Social source share

If they re-pressed it because of a fault then they didn't do a very good job with the orange label copies

I've seen copies that play off centre, some where the labels are offset in the run out and plenty with a warp

The majority of the labels are offcentre on both the green and the orange, but I still don't know where this story that the green one was withdrawn came from, both copies I've had were mint, had a bump on the edge, and played mint.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I bought one of the green ones from "Blues & Soul" mag when they used to advertise records in the inside back cover poss. 72/73. They advertised other side "sho-nuff hot pants" and it cost £0.30p.  I got it with a few others and bought it cos it had Detroit in the group name.

I sold it early eighties to Guy for £3.00!

Louis

Louis 

I've now got that copy Guy H scribed in the run out 

atb Kev  :hatsoff2:

BTW it cost me a lot less than £3  :lol:

Edited by Kev John
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

• 1 month later...

re..the white so called 'test press'..was available from soul bowl for around £5 sometime in the late 70's..i bought one and it was autographed..i dont think it was a real test press as such..just a white label with popcorns signature..

Social source share

Straight from the horse's mouth so to speak:

HI PETE—I BOUGHT ALL POPCORN'S STOCK———WE HAD QUANTITY ON BOTH THE GREEN AND ORANGE COPIES WHICH WERE RELEASED ALMOST AT THE SAME TIME—I ALSO HAD 100 BLANK LABEL COPIES THAT I GOT POPCORN TO AUTOGRAPH——JOHN

interesting..although both issues were apparently released almost simultaneously i never saw a second issue orange until they became available from Soul Bowl. Does this imply they were never/poorly distributed..or did anyone have an orange issue around the same time or slightly after the green copies surfaced?

Social source share

Let me just say this, if you wanted a record out quick (and they did everyone was racing) you had to get your money back asap because of your outlay ie studio time, musicians, 2" master tape very expensive and then the pressing plant costs + artwork if when you approached the plant asked for say green paper and they hadn't got any you wont hang around use whatever colour you have. This can apply at the beginning of a run and if sales from that first run looked busy you go for repress to keep it hot you would take any colour they had. Its as simple as that in some cases.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Let me just say this, if you wanted a record out quick (and they did everyone was racing) you had to get your money back asap because of your outlay ie studio time, musicians, 2" master tape very expensive and then the pressing plant costs + artwork if when you approached the plant asked for say green paper and they hadn't got any you wont hang around use whatever colour you have. This can apply at the beginning of a run and if sales from that first run looked busy you go for repress to keep it hot you would take any colour they had. Its as simple as that in some cases.

no doubt..but the question i'm pondering is..why only green copies surfaced when both colours were pressed at the same time.? (almost)

Edited by SHEFFSOUL
Social source share

Maybe the orange ones weren't distributed as well as the green (non Soul Bowl) copies that were around in the 70s were from a source other than Popcorn - like a distributor or a store.

thats what i originally asked..and its a possibility..or maybe JA recollections of the pressing times are a little off?

Social source share

I've just looked at the run out markings in my Green issue there are no Matrix Stamped in the Deadwax 

only scribed info

Could anyone with the Orange copy pm or post on here so we can compare info 

Edited by Kev John
Social source share

I've just looked at the run out markings in my Green issue there are no Matrix Stamped in the Deadwax 

only scribed info

Could anyone with the Orange copy pm or post on here so we can compare info 

orange label..moulded on type..matrix appears as scratched in..(counter clock) 20011     6m                209          malone?    labels off centre on both sides..dimples in vinyl both sides...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

orange label..moulded on type..matrix appears as scratched in..(counter clock) 20011     6m                209          malone?    labels off centre on both sides..dimples in vinyl both sides...

Same here but i think its Milan not malone ! 

atb kev  :hatsoff2: 

Social source share

Same here but i think its Milan not malone ! 

atb kev  :hatsoff2: 

maybe..it certainly raises a big Q over the both issues..i guess as the green one surfaced first it was assumed it was the original/first press..maybe not..it does appear that both were taken from the same plate..but so were some reissues..i believe the orange and green ones share a similar press time..and wouldn't be surprised to see the orange rise in value..i dont think the green one is mega rare..seen a few of those over the years..and id B&S were selling them at 30p bitd??

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Even if the matrix match, the labels don't and so it can't be just a color paper factor. They had to do another template changing the fonts for the letterings of the logo. 

attachicon.gifCapture d’écran 2015-05-23 à 19.43.17.pngattachicon.gifCapture d’écran 2015-05-23 à 19.35.54.png

not necessarily...some labels were produced as semi blanks..with the logo/address and other constant details ..the artist/title and other details unique to the recording were printed onto the existing label..but i dont think this matters much in this case..just a label change inbetween the presses..the big questions are which was first and the time lapse between the two presses..i always thought the orange was a much later press exclusive to Soul Bowl to cater for the northern demand..but after JA's comment and the info posted here..i believe both are/were pressed about the same time..making it a true 1st and second or simultaneous press...a fairly common instance with northern soul records..and i think the orange press is due a reassessment..

Social source share

Reference to Cool Off on this link released 1967 

PeteS believes the Orange issue released some 8yrs later which that would mean released 1975 ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_%22Popcorn%22_Wylie

yes Pete Smith makes this point at the begining of the post..but later posts that according to John Anderson both issues (green/orange) were pressed at roughly the same time...i doubt a second issue was pressed 8 years later unless it was for the northern demand..i bought a white label copy autographed by popcorn wylie from SB around 1976.. i never knew an orange copy existed until 20+ years later..i was with Dave Raistrick who coolly pronounced 'not an original..soul bowl..'  i bought it anyway... 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Got my orange label copy from Soul Bowl 1975/76 when it was big at Wigan. Never saw a green label copy until fairly recently when I picked one off eBay listed for the funk side. The green label copy is easily the scarcest and despite the pressing flaw, plays absolutely fine. There is a very unusual greeny-orange copy in the hands of Gary from Holyhead as he coloured his orange one using a green felt pen - he did this for a laugh as the green label was reputed to be rare at the time and this was Wigan c1976/77 and lots of us were just fussed about owning the sound rather than possessing an original copy.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!