James Brown Godfather Of Soul, Well Is He?

Are you guys and gals fed up with the media telling you that James Brown is the godfather of soul?, what do you think, personaly psuedos know shit all about soul music so they say the first thing that comes into their thick heads, James had some nice soulful tunes in the early days and a couple in the 70s but I would draw the line between funk and mainstream soul, :wicked:

Social source share

• Replies 119
  • Views 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Watching his 'performance' on Jonathon Ross the other night, I think you would be paying these days only to be in the same room as him.

It's a definition of soul question I suppose?

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

No.....and he has silly hair.

link

it's not hair, it's a pompadour!

definitely EN-OH

Social source share

Think you're getting mixed up with David Ruffin and its Tammi Terrell thank you very much :wicked:

link

James used to preach abstanance,but do the opposit big fraud if you ask me! :lol:

Social source share

James used to preach abstanance,but do the opposit big fraud if you ask me! :wicked:

link

Defo one of the biggest hypocrits of all time, preach love peace and understanding then go out beat the wife up and shoot at police not forgetting a line up or ten

Social source share

Defo one of the biggest hypocrits of all time, preach love peace and understanding then go out beat the wife up and shoot at police not forgetting a line up or ten

link

That's bullshit - he lived the life of a thousand Soulmen - When you're sat in another culture and another circumstance its easy to pass judgment. Whats you're background?

I'm not saying these things are right, I'm saying circumstance shapes us.

Simon

Social source share

That's bullshit - he lived the life of a thousand Soulmen  - When you're sat in another culture and another circumstance its easy to pass judgment. Whats you're background?

I'm not saying these things are right, I'm saying circumstance shapes us.

Simon

link

Whats bullshit? :angry: any person that has Brown's stature in America surely can't be allowed to violate everything he has preached, especially with drugs and guns, he's preached in thousands of schools all over the States about the missuse of these things and telling people to give it up then goes out and does the exact opposite of what he's supposed to be all about, now thats bullshit!

Social source share

Whats bullshit? :angry: any person that has Brown's stature in America surely can't be allowed to violate everything he has preached, especially with drugs and guns, he's preached in thousands of schools all over the States about the missuse of these things and telling people to give it up then goes out and does the exact opposite of what he's supposed to be all about, now thats bullshit!

link

That sums up over 50% of anyone with any stature in America - he's no different - that's why saying he's "Defo one of the biggest hypocrites of all time" is indeed Bullshit. How about BUSH? Or for that matter any of Europe's Royalty or the Catholic church? it's a bullshit statement that's why I said Bullshit.

Social source share

Guest remus

Are you guys and gals fed up with the media telling you that James Brown is the godfather of soul?, what do you think, personaly psuedos know shit all about soul music so they say the first thing that comes into their thick heads, James had some nice soulful tunes in the early days and a couple in the 70s but I would draw the line between funk and mainstream soul, whistling.gif

link

Is he f***,........whats his hair all about!

Social source share

That sums up over 50% of anyone  with any stature in America - he's no different - that's why saying he's "Defo one of the biggest hypocrites of all time" is indeed Bullshit.  How about BUSH? Or for that matter any of Europe's Royalty or the Catholic church? it's a bullshit statement that's why I said Bullshit.

link

Lets not get into a political debate for gawds sake, the thread WAS about his music so lets just agree with our own conclusions whistling.gif

Edited by BIGSOULMAN
Social source share

Guest Soulpower

I am surprised about the level of ignorance and disrespect towards James Brown's legacy on this site. While a title like "Godfather of Soul" may sound silly, his impact on american black music culture and especially soul music is incredibly huge. To limit his influence to the funk movement is cutting his wings off ... after all, he was "Soulbrother No. 1" seven or eight years before he was labeled "Godfather of Soul". You may not like his music, his behaviour towards women, his hair .. but that doesn't make his musical impact less valid. By reading the messages on this site, sometimes I believe that many of you have a musical taste that is way too eclectic for Soul music in it's original understanding. If something doesn't fit the "northern" category, it doesn't fit at all. But each and every one who has lived soul culture where it was born will agree with me that James Brown is indeed the Godfather of Soul (although again, the titel sounds funny).

Does he have a beautiful voice? No. But he doesn't have to.

Does he have soul? What a question. His singing used to be more soulful than that of many of the so-called "northern soul" artists (who I often find very pop-ish and shallow) combined. James Brown is raw, natural, gutbucket soul music.

I really feel that some of you dis the man because he is popular and because within the past two decades, sort of became a copy of himself. But he is still around, playing 100 shows a year at 74 years. He is James Brown after all. And soul music wouldn't be the same without him.

Social source share

I am surprised about the level of ignorance and disrespect towards James Brown's legacy on this site. While a title like "Godfather of Soul" may sound silly, his impact on american black music culture and especially soul music is incredibly huge. To limit his influence to the funk movement is cutting his wings off ... after all, he was "Soulbrother No. 1" seven or eight years before he was labeled "Godfather of Soul".  You may not like his music, his behaviour towards women, his hair .. but that doesn't make his musical impact less valid. By reading the messages on this site, sometimes I believe that many of you have a musical taste that is way too eclectic for Soul music in it's original understanding. If something doesn't fit the "northern" category, it doesn't fit at all. But each and every one who has lived soul culture where it was born will agree with me that James Brown is indeed the Godfather of Soul (although again, the titel sounds funny).

Does he have soul? What a question. His singing used to be more soulful than that of many of the so-called "northern soul" artists (who I often find very pop-ish and shallow) combined. James Brown is raw, natural, gutbucket soul music.

I really feel that some of you dis the man because he is popular and because within the past two decades, sort of became a copy of himself. But he is still around, playing 100 shows a year at 74 years. He is James Brown after all. And soul music wouldn't be the same without him.

link

I do agree with what you say mate and I really do like him, the thread did run off the rails a bit but the original point I was making is that there is a line between funk and soul, i'm not a great lover of funk but Brown's output is very good, but to call him the godfather does'nt gel with me, but then again....who is?, my fave tracks from JB are-

Night Train

Out Of Sight

I Got you

Papa's Got A Brand New Bag

Its A Mans Mans World

Soul Power

People Wake Up And Live

Social source share

You get your hair like that boyo and you'll not catch me within 10 miles of the alldayer! whistling.gif   :thumbsup:   :P   :P

link

I don't know, it would make me more likely to go :P:D

Social source share

I am surprised about the level of ignorance and disrespect towards James Brown's legacy on this site. While a title like "Godfather of Soul" may sound silly, his impact on american black music culture and especially soul music is incredibly huge. To limit his influence to the funk movement is cutting his wings off ... after all, he was "Soulbrother No. 1" seven or eight years before he was labeled "Godfather of Soul".  You may not like his music, his behaviour towards women, his hair .. but that doesn't make his musical impact less valid. By reading the messages on this site, sometimes I believe that many of you have a musical taste that is way too eclectic for Soul music in it's original understanding. If something doesn't fit the "northern" category, it doesn't fit at all. But each and every one who has lived soul culture where it was born will agree with me that James Brown is indeed the Godfather of Soul (although again, the titel sounds funny).

link

where do you get your serious pills, mate?

i could do with half a dozen, i've been far too happy lately.

Social source share

Guest Soulpower

where do you get your serious pills, mate?

i could do with half a dozen, i've been far too happy lately.

link

I have a great sense of humour, bro. But when I read the responsed on this thread on a soul site, I start to loose it. Why does a musical discussion have to go into someone's hairdo and psychic issues? And why do people have to categorize music so much? I believe when someone is actually quite serious by saying that JB is not a soul singer buy "northern soul"-standards, then it's ridiculous. And on this very thread, this is not an exceptional opinion, but the idea that the majority of posters have on James Brown. I find this quite disturbing on a site called "soul source" ...

It's ok to not like his voice, hair, personal matters and even music .. but to claim that he doesn't deserve the title "Godfather of Soul" (that was given to him not by the media, but by DJs).. if you claim that his impact on soul music is not siginficant enough for the praise he got, then you seriously need to check your own musical credentials.

It's not the media that made James Brown "Soulbrother No 1" .. it`s his people. No black artist in the 60s has touched the African American culture as he did ... his impact on soul music was simply tremendous ...

Social source share

Guest Soulpower

its a place for discussion, where people can put up their views on all sorts

thats all

link

Oh, that's okay .. and so do I unsure.gif But seriously, it's about James Brown's music and not about his hair ...

Social source share

Guest Soulpower

I do agree with what you say mate and I really do like him, the thread did run off the rails a bit but the original point I was making is that there is a line between funk and soul, i'm not a great lover of funk but Brown's output is very good, but to call him the godfather does'nt gel with me, but then again....who is?, my fave tracks from JB are-

Night Train

Out Of Sight

I Got you

Papa's Got A Brand New Bag

Its A Mans Mans World

Soul Power

People Wake Up And Live

link

See, this is where we disagree, bro ... it's all Soul. Funk is just a different way to deliver it. A more dynamic way. But in James Brown's music, Soul and Funk still go hand in hand ... they are inseperable .. and I don't know any soul singer or musician who would make that difference like y'all do ...

Social source share

See, this is where we disagree, bro ... it's all Soul. Funk is just a different way to deliver it.

link

and so is, say, heavy metal, presumably?

like most, though not all, acts who achieve worldwide recognition in any field, JB has been elevated by the media and the soundbite-ists to a level way beyond what he really merits.

some good stuff but all very samey to my ears.

don't think anyone doubts he's soulful, just disputing whether he is the 'godfather' of soul. he's the godfather of crystal-meth induced, firearm-waving, police-chasing auto-felonies, that's for sure (and also of BBC 5 Live Live8 soundbites).

it's a redundant argument, anyway - lots of great singers, all have their off days and most produce some awesome music.

but as it goes i'd put (plucking from the air) garland green above james brown.

Social source share

JB pretty much got me into soul music when I was a teen. I heard Live At The Apollo Vol 2 and it turned my world upside down.

The Godfather? I dunno. It's just a silly made up marketing name. The guy has soul by the bucket though.

Social source share

Guest Soulpower

and so is, say, heavy metal, presumably?

like most, though not all, acts who achieve worldwide recognition in any field, JB has been elevated by the media and the soundbite-ists to a level way beyond what he really merits.

some good stuff but all very samey to my ears.

don't think anyone doubts he's soulful, just disputing whether he is the 'godfather' of soul. he's the godfather of crystal-meth induced, firearm-waving, police-chasing auto-felonies, that's for sure (and also of BBC 5 Live Live8 soundbites).

it's a redundant argument, anyway - lots of great singers, all have their off days and most produce some awesome music.

but as it goes i'd put (plucking from the air) garland green above james brown.

link

Your heavy-metal analogy doesn't quite work because it stands for a completely different cultural background. Soul culture is one specific culture, and Funk is a natural element of it. And I am talking about the soul culture in it's original meaning ... the African-American culture, not some Europeans (no offense, I'm European myself) who think that soul culture is reduced to northern soul, rare 45s, mod-hairstyles and riding vintage scooters (playing with stereotypes now, but you get the idea).

Sure, James Brown has lived a turbulant life, and he is no saint by far .. but which soul singer is? Otis wasn't, Marvin wasn`t, and I'm sure that Garland Green wasn't either -- you just didn't hear about it because they didn't get the media attention James Brown got. So his private life and his troubles have nothing to do with his label as the Godfather of Soul. At least it shouldn't, but you obviously make it an issue here. Sam Cooke was a pimp, the Isley's had regular shoot-outs with rivals, George McCrae was a bigtime wife-beater and coke-addict... tell me who was clean pure?

And I would agree, James Brown is not the BEST soul singer .. but he is the one with the most impact. A whole modern musical soul culture has been inspired and evben shaped by him .. and he even had a significant poolitical impact upon his culture which still can be felt today. He's everywhere in modern sould culture, while most of the other one-hit or no-hit wonders have faded into obscurity, which is why James Brown and nobody else is the Godfather of Soul.

Edited by Soulpower
Social source share

Guest Soulpower

The Godfather?  I dunno.  It's just a silly made up marketing name.  The guy has soul by the bucket though.

link

That sums it up. Watch some James Brown live footage from the 1960s ... he kicked everybody's ass back then. People were frightended because his act was so tight and powerful.

Social source share

It's a definition of soul question I suppose? :P

link

Its yet another UK made question though, most Americans would be mystified by our genrefying (is that a word? it is now!) and analysing sub cultures of black music.

I assumed Soul Power was American because he made some great points (must add some smilies or Dan will pick on me as this does read a bit serious :ohmy::lol: ) I personally dont listen to much James Brown personally but his influence on soul music as an evolving culture (in America now, not Wigan or darkest Yorkshire etc. :P ) is huge, how he handled his business etc.

I think this is a good example of how we into Northern sometimes forget about the wider world of soul, and Mr Brown is a major player in that,

Not sure I totally agree with Dayos point however about the title being totally media driven, from what I read Mr Brown was (and still is by recent evidence) very keen on being known as the greatest and marketing himself as such, and also wasn't slow at sacking people who didn't go along.

Musically his finest moment for me was Georgia On My Mind where he turns it into a magical example of deep soul at its most tortured, again not too relevant to Northern but if your tastes are wider its worth a listen.

Now onto the who invented funk question..... the UK media discuss!

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

And I would agree, James Brown is not the BEST soul singer ..  but he is the one with the most impact. A whole modern musical soul culture has been inspired and evben shaped by him .. and he even had a significant poolitical impact upon his culture which still can be felt today. He's everywhere in modern sould culture, while most of the other one-hit or no-hit wonders have faded into obscurity, which is why James Brown and nobody else is the Godfather of Soul.

link

Well its between him & M Jackson then the way you put it?,what a choise :ohmy:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert