Why Do Djs Tell Pork Pies

moodysoul1

IF YOU WANT REQUEST GET AN I PPOD OR MULTI CD PLAYER

A DJS THERE TO ENTERTAIN WITH HIS OR HER SELECTION OF TUNES !thumbsup.gif

Funny that....

I seem to remember a reasonably well known DJ saying in a book that the reason people came and asked him for a request was becase 'they know I own those original records' and that this was an important part of DJing....

MR RIMMER????thumbsup.gif

Edited by chorleysoul
Social source share

Don't really agree with the last quote,

A Dj is indeed there to entertain us,because we as paying customers want entertaining,

If the said Dj was having a bummer of a night,He or she would be praying for requests,to help them get out of the shit they are in,

No dancers at a Northern venue to me means the wrong music selection,ie playing what they think is good and bugger the punter because They the Dj(not all of them)think that they are there to educate us not to entertain,Which is what they are being paid for!!!

Many if not all the people here on SS are really quite well versed in soul music,And like to hear records that they know,not to say they(we)dont like to hear something we havent heard before or had forgot about,

A Dj's job is to Dj not play god,

I have on various occasions been to soul nights,where the Dj in question as been on a personal crusade to educate the punters (us)only to kill the night by playing stuff people don't like or don't know,

Of course I would'nt know what record request refusal started this thread,She may have asked for the Bay City Rollers or Third Finger Left Hand,But then again it could have been any of the thousands of Northern Soul records we listened to as kids and grew to love,

There is another thread on here called"Are some Dj's on an ego trip"

Well yes maybe some are!!

Grant

Social source share

A Dj is indeed there to entertain us,because we as paying customers want entertaining,

If the said Dj was having a bummer of a night,He or she would be praying for requests,to help them get out of the shit they are in,

No dancers at a Northern venue to me means the wrong music selection,ie playing what they think is good and bugger the punter because They the Dj(not all of them)think that they are there to educate us not to entertain,Which is what they are being paid for!!!

Many if not all the people here on SS are really quite well versed in soul music,And like to hear records that they know,not to say they(we)dont like to hear something we havent heard before or had forgot about,

I have on various occasions been to soul nights,where the Dj in question as been on a personal crusade to educate the punters (us)only to kill the night by playing stuff people don't like or don't know,

Of course I would'nt know what record request refusal started this thread,She may have asked for the Bay City Rollers or Third Finger Left Hand,But then again it could have been any of the thousands of Northern Soul records we listened to as kids and grew to love,

Grant

Social source share

Grant

Social source share

Just looked at your last venue thing Heywood

One of the nights I mentioned in my post was at Heywood(live in Bury)

Asked for Afternoon of the Rhino,

I can't play that said a well known Dj they wont dance to that anymore,

He plays it Dancefloor RAMMED could not move

The case M'lud was done and dusted,

Grant

Edited by grantdyche
Social source share

Just looked at your last venue thing Heywood

One of the nights I mentioned in my post was at Heywood(live in Bury)

Asked for Afternoon of the Rhino,

I can't play that said a well known Dj they wont dance to that anymore,

He plays it Dancefloor RAMMED could not move

The case M'lud was done and dusted,

Grant

live in south yorks and travel

Social source share

:no:

If they couldn't pull the floor round themselves without requests they aren't doing their job

I disagree, I want to hear new stuff and be educated and think that is part of the job of the DJ to bring new stuff to the "floor" so to speak, anyone can DJ with safe old favourites, well if you want to go to an oldies night

Grant

Social source share

You know there is one really good solution to this, requests are handled by the team that run the do , the residents.

I am of the mind the invited DJ is there to show you what works for him/her and may work for you.

Easy peasy you get the best of both worlds .

I also think a request box is a good policy avoids people who haven't got a clue what they want distracting a dj whilst they are playing for a start.....eeeem it goes like this eeeem eeeeeeeeeemeeeeeeee and its a male ...no its a group.

One the funiest instances of this I have ever heard is when a really sweet lady asked for an instrumental who didn't know the artist PML. She was a screem and we still have a laugh about it now. We always look out for her and have a laugh about it.

Sometimes you get people coming up who are a little drunk and sway all over the place , even make the records jump.... keep people away from the decks I say some are very expansive and should be treated with respect.

And Finally let your guest Dj show you what they are hopefully very capable at weaving together for your general entertainment and others ....He or she will judge the situation and determine if something is working or not.

I wish people were more tolerant too , think about what it's like when you are asked to play something different or in a certain style of play ... and someone comes up and says got any Michael Jackson ? how do you answer that ?

You could be nice and just say sorry left it at home , or say yeah later and forget... Or give them a funny look and tell them to do one ?

Grant I would have been honest and told you the Rhino stinks not my thing at all , I only play what I think is good and if you don't like my style don't book me.

You might think that is arrogant but at least its the TRUTH lol

Edited by Carms
Social source share

If a DJ has been booked for the sounds/genre he/she has and then punters come and request stuff of a different ilk it can end up with his/her spot becoming just another spot of the same ole, same ole and defeating the object of booking them.

Also in the days I used to DJ I put great store in planning a spot, so that if I played a request it meant also changing the 2 or 3 records preceding and following it to fit the flow (one of the advantages of doing the first 2-3 hours til 12 or so at you own nighter).

I must admit if I was asked for a request for something I really didn't want to play I wouldn't play it (and it's easier to say 'yes' than have a stand up argument whilst you're trying to cue the next track), but if someone asked for something that I had intended to play and I didn't get it in before the end of the spot - I'd go and say sorry if I saw them.

Dave

PS Kris Holmes - great DJ!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Funny that....

I seem to remember a reasonably well known DJ saying in a book that the reason people came and asked him for a request was becase 'they know I own those original records' and that this was an important part of DJing....

MR RIMMER????thumbsup.gif

Still agree with that. I work on the basis of getting 22 or 23 records into an hour spot, quite regularly before I get to the decks I've had 6 or 7 requests. Now these are people who have heard me DJ before, and know I have the record they are asking for. The reason they ask for certain records is they have heard me play them before, which means there is a fair chance I'll be happy to play them again.

So, a third of my spot is requested before I get to the decks, a third is what I, as a DJ, feel the dancefloor needs at that moment, and a third is what I want to play.

I've never forgotten that people who request records have paid to come into the venue, hence they are paying my wages on the night. Fortunately, I don't get many requests that are totally out of sync with what I am playing at the time, so I don't often have to turn people down. More to the point of the original post, If I haven't got a record, I'll say I haven't got it ! Quite often people who ask for records I haven't got will ask for several records, if I haven't got any of them I'll say so, but it also gives me an idea of what they want to hear, so I'll tell them I'll find something they will like and play that.

By the same token, in the past I've been in the middle of an R & B set and someone came and asked for Muriel Day - 'Nine Times Out If Ten'. I don't own it, and even if I did, wouldn't have played it in the middle of an R & B spot, so I'll politely explain that I haven't got it, and also explain, if asked, why I wouldn't have played it even if I had got it.

The ones that really wind me up though are the people who come and ask for a request when I've only got three records left to play. Give me a break, if you want to ask for a record, do it early in the set, not when I'm 53 minutes into it. Then if I've got it, I might have time to work it into the set. Otherwise I'll just say I've only got three left, and I've already pulled the last three up to play.

It also depends what venue you are at, and what spot you have during the night....the last spot of any night is always the 'send 'em home happy' spot, so I'm more likely to play requests then than any other time. I've just got home from the Rugby allnighter, and in my first spot played no requests (11.15 to 12.30) and in my second spot played five or six requests (5 to 6 am), but as I said earlier, these were records people had asked for before I got to the decks.

By the way, If it's something really cheesy, chances are I haven't got it, and I might say ask the next DJ, he'll play it for you. Derek Allen (God rest his soul) was a favourite for setting up like that, but bugger me if Derek didn't normally play the request and get a full dancefloor to boot !

I have to add the simple fact that the above refers to how I DJ, and each and every one of us who DJs is different, and will have their own view on this subject. So don't take what I say as gospel !

Social source share

You know there is one really good solution to this, requests are handled by the team that run the do , the residents.

I am of the mind the invited DJ is there to show you what works for him/her and may work for you.

Easy peasy you get the best of both worlds .

I also think a request box is a good policy avoids people who haven't got a clue what they want distracting a dj whilst they are playing for a start.....eeeem it goes like this eeeem eeeeeeeeeemeeeeeeee and its a male ...no its a group.

One the funiest instances of this I have ever heard is when a really sweet lady asked for an instrumental who didn't know the artist PML. She was a screem and we still have a laugh about it now. We always look out for her and have a laugh about it.

Sometimes you get people coming up who are a little drunk and sway all over the place , even make the records jump.... keep people away from the decks I say some are very expansive and should be treated with respect.

And Finally let your guest Dj show you what they are hopefully very capable at weaving together for your general entertainment and others ....He or she will judge the situation and determine if something is working or not.

I wish people were more tolerant too , think about what it's like when you are asked to play something different or in a certain style of play ... and someone comes up and says got any Michael Jackson ? how do you answer that ?

You could be nice and just say sorry left it at home , or say yeah later and forget... Or give them a funny look and tell them to do one ?

Grant I would have been honest and told you the Rhino stinks not my thing at all , I only play what I think is good and if you don't like my style don't book me.

You might think that is arrogant but at least its the TRUTH lol

What a brilliant post good.gif

oh and if you aint got the request you aint got it so just say, sorry but i aint got that but the next dj might have, there is no need to lie good.gif

Social source share

In all the years iv'e been into n/s going to all-nighters/dayers iv'e never requested a record,you go to the do's and know what the dj's are going to play,let em get on with it.if they don't play what you want then your in the wrong place :no:.saves any arguments.

Social source share

In all the years iv'e been into n/s going to all-nighters/dayers iv'e never requested a record,you go to the do's and know what the dj's are going to play,let em get on with it.if they don't play what you want then your in the wrong place unsure.gif.saves any arguments.

I like this post too biggrin.gifgood.gif

Social source share

nothing in my playbox I wouldn't play, if I get a request and I have it I will usually play it.

Spot on.

Not read all posts, but I think the thread has gone a bit off topic. The first post asked why DJ's say they have a requested record, then don't play it. It's not about whether we should make requests or silly things people ask for (like pop music).

If someone does not play a record that they say they will play, it sounds a bit like they don't actually have it, or they just want you out of the way quick or they aren't really even listening.

For what it's worth, I think the answer is simple. Most lie, because most of them are men

...sorry, had too much sleep and couldn't resist that one! :no:

m

Social source share

"I have on various occasions been to soul nights,where the Dj in question as been on a personal crusade to educate the punters (us)only to kill the night by playing stuff people don't like or don't know"

To overcome this problem I think that everyone going to a venue should take with them a list of every record they know indicating which records they like and which ones they dont.

On entering the venue the list should be handed to the person on the door who will scan all the details onto a computer database ( please allow plenty of time to get in )

Then as each record is played the database will be checked and if it is found that the dj is playing a record that nobody likes or that no one in the venue knows, a trap door will open on the stage under the dj.

The dj will then be castigated to the flames of hell for eternity where they will be forced to listen to loop of the top 500 for the rest of their damnation.

See problem solved - easy thumbup.gifwhistling.gif

If someone asks me for a record and I've got it I will always try and play it but like Dave says as long as there is enough time left in the set to play it. In fact I was asked for a couple of requests like night at Rugby and unfortunately I didnt have the records with me and that is what I told them, it seems daft to tell them anything else

Steve

Social source share

whistling.gifA Dj is indeed there to entertain us,because we as paying customers want entertaining,

Grant

A dj is there because the promotor booked him/her because he/she thought the dj would be able to entertain the paying punter with their particular records.

Why do some people think just because theyve paid to be entertained they have the right to dictate .

HYPOTHETICAL ANSWER

I went to see a well known rock group last week and because i paid £50 for a ticket ,i asked a member of the security if i could go back stage to speak to the band,to ask if they could play a particular song i like.................... Dont be so ridiculous ,of course i did'nt ,but hey i'm a paying punter so surely i have every right towhistling.gif

Lost count of the times some half pissed girl asked for nine times outta ten ,ski'ing in the snow ,the snake etc etc ..needless to say i don't frequent those places anymoreno.gif

Still i never get rude ,just say ,sorry i don't have it ,never had it and never will have ittongue.gif

Social source share

Still agree with that. I work on the basis of getting 22 or 23 records into an hour spot, quite regularly before I get to the decks I've had 6 or 7 requests. Now these are people who have heard me DJ before, and know I have the record they are asking for. The reason they ask for certain records is they have heard me play them before, which means there is a fair chance I'll be happy to play them again.

So, a third of my spot is requested before I get to the decks, a third is what I, as a DJ, feel the dancefloor needs at that moment, and a third is what I want to play.

I've never forgotten that people who request records have paid to come into the venue, hence they are paying my wages on the night. Fortunately, I don't get many requests that are totally out of sync with what I am playing at the time, so I don't often have to turn people down. More to the point of the original post, If I haven't got a record, I'll say I haven't got it ! Quite often people who ask for records I haven't got will ask for several records, if I haven't got any of them I'll say so, but it also gives me an idea of what they want to hear, so I'll tell them I'll find something they will like and play that.

By the same token, in the past I've been in the middle of an R & B set and someone came and asked for Muriel Day - 'Nine Times Out If Ten'. I don't own it, and even if I did, wouldn't have played it in the middle of an R & B spot, so I'll politely explain that I haven't got it, and also explain, if asked, why I wouldn't have played it even if I had got it.

The ones that really wind me up though are the people who come and ask for a request when I've only got three records left to play. Give me a break, if you want to ask for a record, do it early in the set, not when I'm 53 minutes into it. Then if I've got it, I might have time to work it into the set. Otherwise I'll just say I've only got three left, and I've already pulled the last three up to play.

It also depends what venue you are at, and what spot you have during the night....the last spot of any night is always the 'send 'em home happy' spot, so I'm more likely to play requests then than any other time. I've just got home from the Rugby allnighter, and in my first spot played no requests (11.15 to 12.30) and in my second spot played five or six requests (5 to 6 am), but as I said earlier, these were records people had asked for before I got to the decks.

By the way, If it's something really cheesy, chances are I haven't got it, and I might say ask the next DJ, he'll play it for you. Derek Allen (God rest his soul) was a favourite for setting up like that, but bugger me if Derek didn't normally play the request and get a full dancefloor to boot !

I have to add the simple fact that the above refers to how I DJ, and each and every one of us who DJs is different, and will have their own view on this subject. So don't take what I say as gospel !

Seems like the way I've always imagined it should be.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

If I don't own a requested tune I'll say so.

If I don't have a requested tune with me, I'll say so.

If I do have the request but don't manage to fit it into my set due to time left or due to totally altering the flow of the set, then I'll apologise afterwards.

If I know that one of the dj's following me is likely to have it and might be able to play it, I'll mention it to them.

If I know the person requesting is a regular at the venue I'll bear the tune in mind if I play there again.

But I won't lie. Nor will I play a right mish-mash of tunes that are last minute requests.

- Kev.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Then as each record is played the database will be checked and if it is found that the dj is playing a record that nobody likes or that no one in the venue knows, a trap door will open on the stage under the dj.

The dj will then be castigated to the flames of hell for eternity where they will be forced to listen to loop of the top 500 for the rest of their damnation.

I think this is so funny , thank you for making laugh

Actually I wouldn't say the Rhino stinks ... he's just a bit smelly for me lol , sorry you caught me on rag week I am normally an innocent.gif

Social source share

If I don't own a requested tune I'll say so.

If I don't have a requested tune with me, I'll say so.

If I do have the request but don't manage to fit it into my set due to time left or due to totally altering the flow of the set, then I'll apologise afterwards.

If I know that one of the dj's following me is likely to have it and might be able to play it, I'll mention it to them.

If I know the person requesting is a regular at the venue I'll bear the tune in mind if I play there again.

But I won't lie. Nor will I play a right mish-mash of tunes that are last minute requests.

- Kev.

I think this is the approach most DJ's take. Can I ask the original poster what evidence she has that the DJ is a "liar" rather than just didn't get the opportunity to fit a record in to the flow of the set or simply (and this is sometimes the case for me) couldn't locate it in his box or thought he'd brought it and hadn't. I change probably 50% of my play box before every event I'm asked to DJ at (not always the same 50% lol) and with my playbox holding about 2% of my records I can't always swear to exactly whats in it.

I would however play any record I own if asked for it and had it with me. If its wrong for the venue or the type of music I expect to work with the punters it isn't in my box.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I think this is the approach most DJ's take. Can I ask the original poster what evidence she has that the DJ is a "liar" rather than just didn't get the opportunity to fit a record in to the flow of the set or simply (and this is sometimes the case for me) couldn't locate it in his box or thought he'd brought it and hadn't. I change probably 50% of my play box before every event I'm asked to DJ at (not always the same 50% lol) and with my playbox holding about 2% of my records I can't always swear to exactly whats in it.

I would however play any record I own if asked for it and had it with me. If its wrong for the venue or the type of music I expect to work with the punters it isn't in my box.

He said hed got them and he d play one ..my mates who id gone with wanted to go home but i persuaded them to stay until my request was played ..if hed just said he hadnt got them id have been no wiser and home earlier

Social source share

Even though I've now gracefully retired as a soul DJ and collector, on and off for 27 years, I can speak from past experience.

If I had a record in my box which was requested, I'd do my best to fit it into my set, providing the request wasn't unreasonable, or was otherwise likely to clear the dance floor (ie, American Pie by Don McLean!). If I didn't have what they wanted, I'd be upfront and say "sorry - I don't have it".

But then you do get some rude bastards around, who tell you what they want to hear, and generally have the manners of a pig. Those requests were always ignored.

In the early '80s, I was hassled by a leading thug of a then notorious scooter club to play a request, and to dedicate it to them (thankfully it wasn't Deutschland Uber Alles). I ignored the request twice, as they were always getting clubs closed down, and on his third attempt, preceded his request with "Look - unless you want the place smashed up...............".

Catch 22 situation or what? Just to shut them up, I ensured the next record was their request. They left me alone for the rest of my set and, soon afterwards, they got the club closed down that same night, when one of their "soldiers" glassed some girl in the club.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

A dj is there because the promotor booked him/her because he/she thought the dj would be able to entertain the paying punter with their particular records.

Why do some people think just because theyve paid to be entertained they have the right to dictate .

HYPOTHETICAL ANSWER

I went to see a well known rock group last week and because i paid £50 for a ticket ,i asked a member of the security if i could go back stage to speak to the band,to ask if they could play a particular song i like.................... Dont be so ridiculous ,of course i did'nt ,but hey i'm a paying punter so surely i have every right towhistling.gif

Lost count of the times some half pissed girl asked for nine times outta ten ,ski'ing in the snow ,the snake etc etc ..needless to say i don't frequent those places anymoreno.gif

Still i never get rude ,just say ,sorry i don't have it ,never had it and never will have ittongue.gif

Wrong attitude. who pays the promoter as well as the dj, I have been to loads of dos and the djs have cleared the floor by trying to boost there egos and playing tunes only they like, any soul record is a good record just because you dont like it doesn't mean it should not be played

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

the answer that always makes me laugh when l ask for a tune is........sorry tezza i,ve left it at home.......never fails to make me smile..........do get my own back quite a lot by asking a dj for a tune l know he ain't gotbiggrin.gif and feck me he still says he's left it at home. What makes me laugh about some dj's is on this site, they only ever big up venues that they dj at,or, that they are trying to get a spot at.......sometimes it's so obvious it makes ya toes curl.

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

Maybe ask a dj sometime before he or she goes on if they would play a certain record that way you dont have all that clambering around on the stage and close to them decks which I'm sure makes djs slightly nervous,i mean it must be hard enough sorting ,cuing etc without having to answer questions about records while your djin, thats my opinion, you may say but its the dj's job to handle requests, thats your opinion...........Andy.biggrin.gif

Social source share

To create a good night everyone has to share the responsibility to some degree :

The promoter should book the dj whose style is compatible with the venue...

The dj should attend the venue before accepting/asking for a booking...

The punter should check the dj lineup before attending...

And everyone should be happy...

And requests easier to play.

Edited by Stevie
Social source share

Guest kid mohair

Maybe ask a dj sometime before he or she goes on if they would play a certain record that way you dont have all that clambering around on the stage and close to them decks which I'm sure makes djs slightly nervous,i mean it must be hard enough sorting ,cuing etc without having to answer questions about records while your djin, thats my opinion, you may say but its the dj's job to handle requests, thats your opinion...........Andy.biggrin.gif

laugh.gif On reading the very first post properly my answer is something of not much help and slightly off topic.wink.gif i leave it up anyway..Andy.

Social source share

When asking a DJ for a request I realise that they can only carry a finite amount of vinyl around with them. So I like to leave it nice and wide open for the DJ to decide. My request is simply "can you play anything by anyone who is still alive?"

Social source share

Just reading some of the posts above and I still stand by my original posting,I want to go out and be Entertained,not to sit there and wondering if something I know will get onto the decks at some point,Once again this is not a go at the newies/oldies or modern soul or anything like that,The thread starter was asking the question of "Why Do Dj's lie"

Not should a Dj play oldies all night or just play newies and hope for the best,The records requested sounded ok to me,Would you have played them? Well I would have,

Stop the elitist rubbish and start to smell the coffee,If a promoter of any venue hires a certain Dj for any certain venue,If the said Dj does not come up with the bacon then he/she will not be booked again,end of story,

This thread is starting to become another oldies/newies/modern/elitist thread and the original question was about a few tunes being requested and a certain Dj who I may add do not know who this Dj was not playing a record for a paying customer

Entertainment is Entertainment,you pay your money and take your choice,

Maybe the starter of this thread after travelling quite a few miles to a certain venue may choose in the future,to go somewhere else,

After all she's only a punter who payed her entrance money,what does she know??????????

Grant

Social source share

Yours'd be a short spot whistling.gif

Hope your keeping ok mate.

But still longer than yours matewicked.gif

I'm not too bad thanks been in hospital this week, having a few problems with my kidneys but nothing serious just stones I think

How's things with you and Lou hope you are both well

Let me know when you are out and about and we can meet up, maybe next No Way Out? Usually a great night

ATB

Steve

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

To create a good night everyone has to share the responsibility to some degree :

The promoter should book the dj whose style is compatible with the venue...

The punter should check the dj lineup before attending...

And everyone should be happy...

And requests easier to play.

never a truer wordthumbsup.gif ....not sure about the asking for a booking....tezza

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

I think Stevie is more or less right, and old but nimble too dismissive of experimentation.

Although I sympathise with the OP for the negative experience - assuming the record wasn't played, and the DJ did purposely lie (which ged parker pointed out is assuming the worst), I don't see how you can draw a general principle from it.

DJs shouldn't lie, of course. Most of them as far as I am aware don't.

Edited by spirit
Social source share

Sum good points made here !

But this one Hmm ok , lets drive a fare distance say 100 miles ( modest)

To see ile wanna DJ here for a modest fee of £30,£40 to a small but advised up an cumin soulnite whistling.gif

On arrival and hours spent to check the place if its to my liking and aint!

Wot then? huh.gif

IMO the onus shud not be down to the DJ to do the homework... the promoter/event manager is the one to seek out the entertainment. And its his or her responsibility and these skills can be a nightmare I'm sure !!

Wudnt do it for a gold clock no.gif

Social source share

Sum good points made here !

But this one Hmm ok , lets drive a fare distance say 100 miles ( modest)

To see ile wanna DJ here for a modest fee of £30,£40 to a small but advised up an cumin soulnite whistling.gif

On arrival and hours spent to check the place if its to my liking and aint!

Wot then? huh.gif

IMO the onus shud not be down to the DJ to do the homework... the promoter/event manager is the one to seek out the entertainment. And its his or her responsibility and these skills can be a nightmare I'm sure !!

Wudnt do it for a gold clock no.gif

Oh Clock !!! Sorry I thought you said COCKwhistling.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!