Who Discovered What ?

Dave/Ian , yes was at the Gables I was was with Rob that night :thumbup:

Cheers

Swifty

Linda Jones(Ian Levine)

More importantly who discovered these.......

Esperanto- Grand Piano Company/ Theme from the Fantastic Plastic Machine- Harry Betts/ Stop- Bobby Diamond/ Keeps on Burning- Burning Bush/ Name It You Got It- Mickey Moonshine/ Nine Times Out of Ten- Muriel Day

Seeing as Ian D exposed me as 'The Flasher' please own up if you discovered the above!

Social source share

Guest steve siz sale

dont know if anyone can clear up a mystery on uk cbs demo , chapter five you cant mean it, my mate found a pristine demo in a junk shop for 10p,sold it at wigan(totally unknown) for about a quid, then a few weeks later lo and behold guess what was played at wigan and well recieved,never really got my head round that one,who claimed they discovered that and did whoever buy it off my mateg.gif

back in the day dave withers ,rod shard and dave mcaddon discovered possibly the biggest haul of uk demos ever in a recording studio very close to granada tv which was used for overstock i tumbled it on the 2nd day and still pulled a haul out of it richard searling had been in the building and never knew the haul was there the real winner was radio city dj billy butler who took 5 minutes and bought the lot (the real winner david bowie demos ect) richard walked away with one or 2 gems including chapter five and started hammering it in frustration i think but that made it big but he knew of it before posted by steve siz sale (by the way i discovered joey heatherton "when you call me baby" in a junk shop in brussels on black french brunswick and sue lynne dont pity me in the underground market at derek ords stall !!)

Social source share

Put me down for Burning Bush, great record and what a symbolic title.

I am a fan of the record , but to those who dislike it , your statement might be viewed by some as an invite :thumbup:

Malc Burton

Social source share

From Kev.....

Esperanto- Grand Piano Company/ Theme from the Fantastic Plastic Machine- Harry Betts/ Stop- Bobby Diamond/ Keeps on Burning- Burning Bush/ Name It You Got It- Mickey Moonshine/ Nine Times Out of Ten- Muriel Day

Seeing as Ian D exposed me as 'The Flasher' please own up if you discovered the above!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nope not guilty Kev, but that doesn't mean I didn't come up with some clunkers myself. "Danse A La Music" - The French Fries springs to mind....

Ian D :D

Social source share

back in the day dave withers ,rod shard and dave mcaddon discovered possibly the biggest haul of uk demos ever in a recording studio very close to granada tv which was used for overstock i tumbled it on the 2nd day and still pulled a haul out of it richard searling had been in the building and never knew the haul was there the real winner was radio city dj billy butler who took 5 minutes and bought the lot (the real winner david bowie demos ect) richard walked away with one or 2 gems including chapter five and started hammering it in frustration i think but that made it big but he knew of it before posted by steve siz sale (by the way i discovered joey heatherton "when you call me baby" in a junk shop in brussels on black french brunswick and sue lynne dont pity me in the underground market at derek ords stall !!)

Steve.....amazingly Joey's brother is one of my closest friends. She lives in Beverly Hills(as you do) and was married to Lance Rentzel(remember his Columbia 45?) I remember hearing the Instrumental to it from writer Johnny Madara in the late 70's.

None of which takes anything away from the discoverer of Johanna Heatherton's classic. Arise Sir Siz!

Social source share

Guest steve siz sale

Steve.....amazingly Joey's brother is one of my closest friends. She lives in Beverly Hills(as you do) and was married to Lance Rentzel(remember his Columbia 45?) I remember hearing the Instrumental to it from writer Johnny Madara in the late 70's.

None of which takes anything away from the discoverer of Johanna Heatherton's classic. Arise Sir Siz!

Social source share

From Kev.....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nope not guilty Kev, but that doesn't mean I didn't come up with some clunkers myself. "Danse A La Music" - The French Fries springs to mind....

A true horror indeed......now who discovered The Ellusions(I cleaned out Lamon in 1981 of any copies they had, foolishly selling them for £8 each-way too honest!

Or how about...Bobby Goldsboro-Too Many People, Kiki Dee-On A Magic Carpet Ride and Lord Thunder?

Edited by The Golden 101
Social source share

Guest steve siz sale

I live near the trafford centre in manchester beverly hills !(i should co co) and occasionally dip my toe in the northern waters also pulled a few lesser known gems out back in the day (alan reuss zorba) thanks for the reply i will look forward to my nighthood SIZ

Social source share

I thought Rod bought it off Searling ?

ps. Who found the Moments on Hogg the vinyl copies that is !! ?

Rob Moss found the first Moments on Hogg , still got the letter from him saying" guess what I've found It's not The Fabulous Impacts "...Rob also discovered the first Kell Osbourne " Quicksand " , taped 3/4 of it on the end of a tape " what do you think of this - think it would go ? " .Remember taking the tape to Stafford and playing it to Butch and Dave Thorley , think Dave bought it in the end ? Think Rob had one of the first Wayne Anthony's " Blow me a kiss " [ Waylana ] Sold it to Guy who played the flip " Go Go Wedding " instead ...Thought of covering up the top side as Carolyn Crawford as Wayne sounded a little female with his young vocals ...Best,Eddie

Social source share

Rob Moss found the first Moments on Hogg , still got the letter from him saying" guess what I've found It's not The Fabulous Impacts "...Rob also discovered the first Kell Osbourne " Quicksand " , taped 3/4 of it on the end of a tape " what do you think of this - think it would go ? " .Remember taking the tape to Stafford and playing it to Butch and Dave Thorley , think Dave bought it in the end ? Think Rob had one of the first Wayne Anthony's " Blow me a kiss " [ Waylana ] Sold it to Guy who played the flip " Go Go Wedding " instead ...Thought of covering up the top side as Carolyn Crawford as Wayne sounded a little female with his young vocals ...Best,Eddie

Thanks , great stuff :thumbup:

Social source share

Here's one from me.....Simon Soussan shouting to me through the toilet window at Ray Avery's in Glendale,California....Baby boy..look for WILLEEEE HUTCH 'the duck' on Dun-hill....do you know what I am saying baby boy!

I had no idea....but he gave me his copy anyway!

A first play at Wigan was ceremonously blown away by the Javells(thanks Dave Mac)

I could have sworn my Vernon Greene on Minit and Obrey Wilson on Columbia would have scored points, only losing losing out to my DJ colleague Richard Searling playing Gary Lewis on a Liberty Demo!

Edited by The Golden 101
Social source share

Didn't Kent release it as 'the fabulous impacts'?

Social source share

Were,ve you bin hidein,was goin to mention the sue lynne but thought id spare you the embarresment m8 :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

asked a question on the recent jd bryant thread about who discovered it and i think it was tedsoul who replied and said it was kev roberts, which then got me wondering who discovered records like larry clinton,don gardner and and other big tunes like theseg.gif

If you talk to Dave Rivers, he'll tell you that The Coasters "Crazy Baby" was his discovery....plus plenty more. A well respected member of the NS brotherhood for decades so its gotta be kosherthumbsup.gif

Cheers

Pete

Social source share

Who discovered Frankie Beverly " Because of my heart " ? I remember one Wigan oldies night ,Mick Smith lent Searling his cracked Rouser copy to play , I was stood deck watching at the time .Sure Mick mentioned that it had been played at The Torch ? I got a copy on Fairmount for £25 in the early 80's off Dave Raistrick , how many did you have Dave ? Questions Questions LOL.....Best,Eddie

Social source share

If you talk to Dave Rivers, he'll tell you that The Coasters "Crazy Baby" was his discovery....plus plenty more. A well respected member of the NS brotherhood for decades so its gotta be kosher%7Boption%7Dthumbsup.gif[/im

Covered as Freddie Jones.

More Ian Levine discoveries; Esther Philips- Catch Me Im Falling, Melvin Carter- Midnight Brew, Mel Britt, LittleRichie.

Russ - Mike Post Coalition

Richard; Volcanos- Laws of Love

Pep- The Velours, Little Joe Roman, Danny Monday

Me: 4 Seasons-I'm Gonna Change, Yvonne Daniels, Lou Roberts, Eddie Regan via Derek Allen.

Soul Sam: Rubin, Jimmy Mack.

Edited by The Golden 101
Social source share

Who discovered Frankie Beverly " Because of my heart " ? I remember one Wigan oldies night ,Mick Smith lent Searling his cracked Rouser copy to play , I was stood deck watching at the time .Sure Mick mentioned that it had been played at The Torch ? I got a copy on Fairmount for £25 in the early 80's off Dave Raistrick , how many did you have Dave ? Questions Questions LOL.....Best,Eddie

Eddie, more than 1 but less than 25 thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Rick Cooper left global to work at Robinsons in Manchester, and also sold records at the ritz. Steve'siz' when did sue lynne come out of underground market, as pete wid, had it at wigan, covered up! And the late frank jackson, had arin demain, early seventies, also kindly informed, the late nev wherry, at wigan, his tony middleton, was harry starr.

Social source share

If you talk to Dave Rivers, he'll tell you that The Coasters "Crazy Baby" was his discovery....plus plenty more. A well respected member of the NS brotherhood for decades so its gotta be kosherthumbsup.gif

Cheers

Pete

Dave will know but again I thought it came out of this incredible trunk load of 45s Dave Burton got off Cas from Warners in 1971. i also thought the original Cooperettes came from there but perhaps it was the second or third.

Social source share

Hi guys n gals. Well I wouldn't say discovered but maybe given a shove on their way, but I remember asking Keb to take a listen to a track on a tape I'd received from Des Parker, I believe, on the way to stafford one night. Just the most awe-inspiring male harmony, blew me away...Keb covered it as Eddie Banks "Nothings To Good For My Baby" and it became shit hot and f88kin' massive!

Another CTF was playing Chesham Elgiva Hall and dropping Soul Communicators as a new spin to rapturous applause, I was stoked, in the big hall it sounded unbelievable and was just another £5 Raistrick goodie, thanks Dave.

Miles Warrington

Think the Springers (eddie banksc/u) Keb bought from Clarkie for £100 already covered up

Social source share

From Kev.....

Ian D biggrin.gif

MURIEL DAY

I Think the first time l heard this was at an Alldayer Johnny Manship ran at Kirby Bellars, Leics - 'The Painted Lady Club' if l remember, Guy Hennigan and a bunch of others there - Was Nev Wherry the first to play it???

Social source share

MURIEL DAY

I Think the first time l heard this was at an Alldayer Johnny Manship ran at Kirby Bellars, Leics - 'The Painted Lady Club' if l remember, Guy Hennigan and a bunch of others there - Was Nev Wherry the first to play it???

Correct Dave - NW was indeed the first to play " NTOOT " .

Malc Burton

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!