Who Discovered What ?

ame='The Golden 101' date='10 December 2009 - 12:17 PM' timestamp='1260447435' post='1212774']

well $100 was a lotta money back then

The weird thing was I found the most in demand single that week Eddie Garrigan(Fontana)! I rarely gave the 'played out' Del Larks a second thought.

I paid $1 for it!

so how much did the del larks demo set u back?

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

As others have said. Great thread.

I'd like to know who first played my all time fave

Rufus Lumley - Stronger Than Me.

Did you/they listen to the whole album? What made you listen to the album? Was it your dad thinking he'd get a Val Doonican type LP?

If you didnt know what you'd get, how great did that track sound compared to the others hey? How was the LP introduced to you?

AND what gave you the balls to actually play it? I first heard it at Yate around 1978/79 time. Its pretty much unlike anything else I can think of being played at the time. Is it a Yate tune? Yate is remembered for the DJs taking a chance.

And finally. Thanks a billion. Words cant express the jpy this one track has brought to me over the years. I've loved it from the first second I heard it, and 30 years later I still have the hairs stand up on the back of my neck.

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

I also turned down the first ever Tamala Lewis in 1977 from George's Golden Oldies,Clifton,New Jersey citing '$100' was way too much. I generally bought Velvet Satins, Steinways and similar off him for $5-10 each, so there was no way I was having any 100 bucks mularky. Martin Koppell bought it instead.

It wouldn't have been the first one, I had 5 out of there for about $5-10 but I can't remember if they were the first, sold 'em to Sam and Ginger and others at St Ives, Got half a dozen New York In The Darks from there too.

Social source share

As others have said. Great thread.

I'd like to know who first played my all time fave

Rufus Lumley - Stronger Than Me.

Did you/they listen to the whole album? What made you listen to the album? Was it your dad thinking he'd get a Val Doonican type LP?

If you didnt know what you'd get, how great did that track sound compared to the others hey? How was the LP introduced to you?

AND what gave you the balls to actually play it? I first heard it at Yate around 1978/79 time. Its pretty much unlike anything else I can think of being played at the time. Is it a Yate tune? Yate is remembered for the DJs taking a chance.

And finally. Thanks a billion. Words cant express the jpy this one track has brought to me over the years. I've loved it from the first second I heard it, and 30 years later I still have the hairs stand up on the back of my neck.

mick maguire

Social source share

Correctomundo. I'd kinda dropped off the Northern scene at that point but I was promoting the Saturday Northern night @ the Central in Leeds and Pat Brady and Swish were the deejays at that point. For some reason I had to go to Sheffield one day and Pat came along with me for the ride and he spent the entire journey moaning that 'the Northern scene wasn't like it used to be' and 'you couldn't just find records easily anymore' etc, etc. I was in an optimistic mood and saying to Pat that records were everywhere and he just had to be a bit more optimistic and do some frigging digging! We were heading out of Sheffield back to the M1 and I remember saying to him that there were Northern records right under his nose and, as a joke, I said:-

'Hang on. Can you smell that"?

He said. "Smell what"?

I said. "Vinyl mate. I can smell vinyl!" and at that exact point I spotted a junk shop and pulled up and parked saying, "C'mon let's have a look. Records are everywhere" etc, etc.

We went and there were racks and racks of records and the first one I pulled out was Wilbur Walton Jr "24 Hours Of Loneliness" on 123, went to the counter, paid the guy 25p for it and gave it to Pat and said "There ya go. There's records everywhere".

He said, "How do you know it's Northern"?

I said, "Look at the title. How can it not be"?

We didn't even play it till we got back to Leeds. Pat was astounded.

100% good timing and the luck of the devil LOL.....

Ian D biggrin.gif

Thanks for your reply to my Question Ian.BRILL story mate great to know the tale i heard was true.Been said many times but your's is the book that needs to be written

Social source share

It wouldn't have been the first one, I had 5 out of there for about $5-10 but I can't remember if they were the first, sold 'em to Sam and Ginger and others at St Ives, Got half a dozen New York In The Darks from there too.

Ady- Unless you found it before 77 this had to be the first one. By the time MK swooped, no one in the UK had ever heard of it.

I remember a few weeks later racing to Brooks Records, Plainfield, NJ to try and find more. George Clinton used this store a lot in the 60's to drop stock to the owner.

Kev

Social source share

Jim had tons of great stuff, two and three copies on some 45s - When he sold up(early 90s l think) he just vanished from the scene, Any idea what he is doing thesedays??

Rob Marriott took up when Jim packed in !

I know that Jim & Rob are still kicking around the Mansfield area,probably had their bellyfull in the Late 80s early 90s when the scene was on its knees,,,,,,, not knowing the BIG revival.....was to follow.

The old cliche if only....

Social source share

Ady- Unless you found it before 77 this had to be the first one. By the time MK swooped, no one in the UK had ever heard of it.

I remember a few weeks later racing to Brooks Records, Plainfield, NJ to try and find more. George Clinton used this store a lot in the 60's to drop stock to the owner.

Kev

I have no idea on dates I'll ask Clarkie who was with me. Defo 70s and I can't see the shop dropping the price from $100 to $10 after they'd sold one, much more likely t'other way round.

Social source share

Thas a new name to me Billy.

I don't know where to start Mike,he got me into my first allnighters in the early 70's,he's more a collector than a dj,still got a couple of boxes of originals ,he normally collect 2 of each, if i can remember he dj once in the early days of the 100 club,i believe Ady knows little Mick,he's still very good friends with Ian Clark,he did some dealings with Pete Smith in the early 70's when he was into his Brittish stuff. Records he brought to the scene,not everyones taste, Samantha Jones,Loraine Silver also Panic,Rufus Lumley,im 95% sure,Moses Smith,a little smile came to my face,he told me a few years back,if i can remember,Loraine Silver was at Cleethorpes Weekender or some weekender and lot of the soulies were having a chat with her,Mick came along and sat down,had a few minutes talking to her then he said 'I introduced your record to the northern scene' and she seemed to blank him after that,his words not mine,keep on keeping on.

Billy

Social source share

Who found "Skiing In The Snow" - The Invitations?

It was always incredibly rare - only around 2 (or maybe 3 copies) when it was huge and it never really turned up, so whoever found that first copy really found a beauty. I also heard a story about someone finding the 3rd copy which got destroyed in a car crash on the way to the Torch. Does anyone know this story?

Ian D biggrin.gif

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I have no idea on dates I'll ask Clarkie who was with me. Defo 70s and I can't see the shop dropping the price from $100 to $10 after they'd sold one, much more likely t'other way round.

Searling was playing it c/u as Sharon Soul and mentioned in Soul Cargo that he thought it was a definate one-off until he heard Clarkie had found a couple of copies...

Social source share

If you talk to Dave Rivers, he'll tell you that The Coasters "Crazy Baby" was his discovery....plus plenty more. A well respected member of the NS brotherhood for decades so its gotta be kosherthumbsup.gif

Cheers

Pete

That was a KILLER discovery by Dave! 100% Northern Soul in every way - one of the greatest IMO plus a great C/U title - "My Heart's Wide Open" - Freddie Jones. When you consider that the Coasters were essentially a novelty act it makes the discovery even better. I remember the shock when it was finally uncovered as the Coasters - I must have spent the following 3 weeks wading through crap Coasters records looking for it (but didn't find a real original for years).

Exactly the same thing with Paul Anka "I Can't Help Loving You" (covered as Johnny Caswell I think). How many gazillions of bloody Paul Anka U.S. RCA copies did I wade through looking for one of them and NEVER finding one!

Really weird. Both ex chart acts and big-name known acts with major record companies but both originals are rare to this day. How come? You would have thought there'd have been plenty out there..........

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

That was a KILLER discovery by Dave! 100% Northern Soul in every way - one of the greatest IMO plus a great C/U title - "My Heart's Wide Open" - Freddie Jones. When you consider that the Coasters were essentially a novelty act it makes the discovery even better. I remember the shock when it was finally uncovered as the Coasters - I must have spent the following 3 weeks wading through crap Coasters records looking for it (but didn't find a real original for years).

Exactly the same thing with Paul Anka "I Can't Help Loving You" (covered as Johnny Caswell I think). How many gazillions of bloody Paul Anka U.S. RCA copies did I wade through looking for one of them and NEVER finding one!

Really weird. Both ex chart acts and big-name known acts with major record companies but both originals are rare to this day. How come? You would have thought there'd have been plenty out there..........

Ian D biggrin.gif

Is that why you turned down Billy Woods at Soul Bowl ? :wicked:

Social source share

It was always incredibly rare - only around 2 (or maybe 3 copies) when it was huge and it never really turned up, so whoever found that first copy really found a beauty. I also heard a story about someone finding the 3rd copy which

got destroyed in a car crash on the way to the Torch. Does

anyone know this story

Ian D biggrin.gif

Good one. Here's a few more 'who discovered's'

Pre-73/ Fidels, Sandi Sheldon, Shalimars, Danny White- Cracked.

Golden Era/ R. Dean Taylor-Ghost, Yum Yums, Tomangoes.

Post 81/ Tommy Ridgley, Karmello Brooks.

Kev's useless trivia No.927...... Soul Sam first played Rubin's-You've Been Away at the Top Rank, Hanley early 1974.

No.928....Long before Top of the World All Nighters I played Joanne Courcey on Twirl in 74 at the same venue's Monday Soul nights.

Social source share

Kev

Even nuttier is that when I met George again in the early 90's he didn't even have a copy himself (I'd already met him when Parliament were recording "Flashlight" in L.A. in the mid 70's before Tamala Lewis was discovered). I ended up giving him my copy along with white promos of Shirley J. Scott and Roy Handy when he came over to the UK in the early 90's......an all-round great guy and a huge influence so it somehow felt right that the records went full circle.............

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Ian.... Who else could discover such blinding tunes as Dean Courtney and Paul Anka. Look no further than 'Baby Boy' himself.. or Simone as Pattie Brooks calls him!

As a separate talking point... The 3 main discoverer's of the scene's heritage sides: Ian Levine, John Anderson, Simon Soussan.

Edited by The Golden 101
Social source share

Rob Moss found the first Moments on Hogg , still got the letter from him saying" guess what I've found It's not The Fabulous Impacts "...Rob also discovered the first Kell Osbourne " Quicksand " , taped 3/4 of it on the end of a tape " what do you think of this - think it would go ? " .Remember taking the tape to Stafford and playing it to Butch and Dave Thorley , think Dave bought it in the end ? Think Rob had one of the first Wayne Anthony's " Blow me a kiss " [ Waylana ] Sold it to Guy who played the flip " Go Go Wedding " instead ...Thought of covering up the top side as Carolyn Crawford as Wayne sounded a little female with his young vocals ...Best,Eddie

Bugger! I thought The Moments on Hog was my claim to fame.

I found a copy in Detroit in 1990 and called my mate Nige Parker from a payphone I was that excited :wicked: Got Danny Moore, 2 Jock Mitchells and 3 Nabays on the same day

Ah well.

Phil

Social source share

Bugger! I thought The Moments on Hog was my claim to fame.

I found a copy in Detroit in 1990 and called my mate Nige Parker from a payphone I was that excited :( Got Danny Moore, 2 Jock Mitchells and 3 Nabays on the same day

Ah well.

Phil

Nigel hey . how is he . He was always after the Little Carl Carlton coverup :wicked:

Social source share

Is that why you turned down Billy Woods at Soul Bowl ? whistling.gif

OK.......

There must have been 10,000 copies of Billy Woods "I Don't Want To Lose Your Love" on Verve @ Bradford Market which you couldn't give away at the time.....

.......and gazillions of EVERY record on Sussex everywhere - TONS of Bill Withers, Soul Searchers, Creative Source, Zulemas, Dennis Coffeys etc - you had to fight your way through tons of Sussex crap to get to anything rare back then.........

.......so a Billy Woods record on Sussex for £3 didn't seem like such a bargain at the time LOL......

It's still completely unfathomable as to why the record is so rare. It just doesn't make sense. Even Clarence Avant who owned Sussex had never heard of it and the record wasn't included in Universal's Master tapes when they bought Sussex so it remains a bit of a mystery to this day.

I wouldn't mind but Anderson kept telling me I'd regret it but I just couldn't see a rare Sussex record.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing my bearded friend.

Very painful. Thanks for reminding me mate! ph34r.gif

Ian D biggrin.gif

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Post 81/ Tommy Ridgley, Karmello Brooks Bought off Pete Lawson at Stafford for £7.

Kev's useless trivia No.927...... Soul Sam first played Rubin's-You've Been Away at the Top Rank, Hanley early 1974.

No.928....Long before Top of the World All Nighters I played Joanne Courcey on Twirl in 74 at the same venue's Monday Soul nights.

Social source share

OK.......

There must have been 10,000 copies of Billy Woods "I Don't To Lose Your Love" on Verve @ Bradford Market which you couldn't give away at the time.....

.......and gazillions of EVERY record on Sussex everywhere - TONS of Bill Withers, Soul Searchers, Creative Source, Zulemas, Dennis Coffeys etc - you had to fight your way through tons of Sussex crap to get to anything rare back then.........

.......so a Billy Woods record on Sussex for £3 didn't seem like such a bargain at the time LOL......

It's still completely unfathomable as to why the record is so rare. It just doesn't make sense. Even Clarence Avant who owned Sussex had never heard of it and the record wasn't included in Universal's Master tapes when they bought Sussex so it remains a bit of a mystery to this day.

I wouldn't mind but Anderson kept telling me I'd regret it but I just couldn't see a rare Sussex record.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing my bearded friend.

Very painful. Thanks for reminding me mate! ph34r.gif

Ian D biggrin.gif

Didnt the other Ian buy it for £5 the next day :wicked:

Social source share

Post 81/ Tommy Ridgley, Karmello Brooks.

Yep, I was at the Top Rank when Sam played Rubin. I thought it was too fast LOL (I was right actually - it didn't catch on for a while)....

I bought my Tomangoes off you (a very painful deal to conclude I seem to remember) but that's a good point. Who found the Tomangoes first?

Sandi Sheldon was played at the Wheel by all accounts (but by who?).

The Shalimars was surely a Bradford Market special?

R. Dean Taylor was 100% he who shall not be named on here - he played it 6 times the first night back from the states.

I think Pep had the Yum Yums 'cos I remember hearing for the first time at that same Top Rank gig I think. It took me the best part of 2 years to eventually find one.

I dunno on the other ones........

Ian D :D

Social source share

It was always incredibly rare - only around 2 (or maybe 3 copies) when it was huge and it never really turned up, so whoever found that first copy really found a beauty. I also heard a story about someone finding the 3rd copy which got destroyed in a car crash on the way to the Torch. Does anyone know this story?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got my copy of Skiing in the snow promo of Steve Jones in late 72 he had a list out in the early 70,s always had some very nice 45,s

Steve is still knocking around today and still turning the odd thing up, several years ago he found quite a few copies of the Polydor

45 New World in his cellar. Steve lives in Earlstown nr St Helens

x Ian C

ps i traded it at Samanthas niter for I never knew--IN plus a couple of other tasty bits as well, I also had Alice Clarke -you hit me

in early 72 which i traded with Dickie Searling at Va Va,s

Social source share

Searling was playing it c/u as Sharon Soul and mentioned in Soul Cargo that he thought it was a definate one-off until he heard Clarkie had found a couple of copies...

Sounds likely I didn't think we had discovered it but why would the geezer drop the price from $100 to $10 it doesn't make any sense. I'll ask Ian for the date of our trip. Actually does anyone know the date St Ives shut it would have been around a year before then,

Social source share

Yep, I was at the Top Rank when Sam played Rubin. I thought it was too fast LOL (I was right actually - it didn't catch on for a while)....

I bought my Tomangoes off you (a very painful deal to conclude I seem to remember) but that's a good point. Who found the Tomangoes first?

The Shalimars was surely a Bradford Market special?

===================================================================================

Pete Lawson got a Tomangoes of Bri 45 Phillips for 50p and sent it back in 73 he always regreted it silly bugger

Shalimars defo copies on Bradford Mark i got several from there..

Social source share

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got my copy of Skiing in the snow promo of Steve Jones in late 72 he had a list out in the early 70,s always had some very nice 45,s

Steve is still knocking around today and still turning the odd thing up, several years ago he found quite a few copies of the Polydor

45 New World in his cellar. Steve lives in Earlstown nr St Helens

x Ian C

ps i traded it at Samanthas niter for I never knew--IN plus a couple of other tasty bits as well, I also had Alice Clarke -you hit me

in early 72 which i traded with Dickie Searling at Va Va,s

Well that was one of a handful I think. I didn't get it for at least another couple of years and that was off Anderson when he found a few of 'em circa '74/'75 ish. Who played it at the Torch then Ian?

Social source share

===================================================================================

Pete Lawson got a Tomangoes of Bri 45 Phillips for 50p and sent it back in 73 he always regreted it silly bugger

Unlike Pete to miss such a beauty but there again with Pete anything was possible LOL.......he must have been coming down or something.......whistling.gif

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

As a separate talking point... The 3 main discoverer's of the scene's heritage sides: Ian Levine, John Anderson, Simon Soussan.

Yep. No doubt about it.

Trivia question: Who out of the three of 'em is the odd one out?

Answer: John Anderson. The only one who didn't have an obsession with the title "Reaching For The Best"!

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

Well that was one of a handful I think. I didn't get it for at least another couple of years and that was off Anderson when he found a few of 'em circa '74/'75 ish. Who played it at the Torch then Ian?

Ian D biggrin.gif

=====================================================================================

No idea who played it at the Torch but i know it cost me £10 off Steve which in 72

was nearly a weeks wagesangry.gif

I also remember when Searling was working at Global in 72/73 they had Pat Lewis no one to love 85p Danny Woods you had me fooled

40p several other great Detroit 45,s and i bought 6 copies of Mikki Farrow--Set my heart at ease which cost a fortune £5 each

really struggled to move them on at a profit took me couple years if i remember.. I have a old Global list somewhere i will try and dig it out next week and post some more prices up ..

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!