Floresent Smog

Guest vandriver12

• Replies 103
  • Views 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

To each his own Gareth, but I've played the Horn since I was 8 years old and there's nothing 'accomplished' or even 'adequate' about it - to my ears!

Must admit, the lead guy's a better vocalist than me though.

But only just :thumbup:

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Sean I would defend your right to give this record the thumbs down 'til my dying day, but I'm convinced that its over-exposure is at least a part of the problem.

Social source share

Sean I would defend your right to give this record the thumbs down 'til my dying day, but I'm convinced that its over-exposure is at least a part of the problem.

Strange situation, isn't it, that fewer copies leads to over-exposure.

But, if that's the case mate, I hope someone turns up a mountain of 'em! :thumbup:

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Gary smelt turned up 3 copies i had one,Nigel parker had one and i think the other went to Rod Dearlove.Sold mine to a mate for £150 but got Nigels from him for a similar price(still have this copy and mate still has my old copy).

Gary told me he had a lp by the group on a tape which he tried/thought about releasing but nothing came from this.

Another freind of mine has a picture of the group on a flyer from the US.

Chris.

You know, I stumbled across some old lists[thats what a sad man i am i`m afraid] and this very list from Gary S[ he used to go under the name of Blacknight Records].....He was very cheap to buy from even at the time.....Its funny because there were only 2 records on the list that were expensive[when i say expensive i mean £100]...! well, it was the late 80`s i think so it was expensive in relative terms !......One was F.Smog, the other was MarkIV on Britelite..

Thing was,i knew the F.Smog title from Sam`S Blackbeat reveiw but hadnt actually heard it. Still gives me nightmaresyes.gif

As you can guess from this,i really rate the record. Nothing whatsover to do with its rarity believe me. I reckon its an absolutely Top Class sweet soul record thats as good as any others in that vein that also just happens to be dog rare......Its funny how differently we all see things. Its a shame though i`ll never own one or be able to afford one if it does show up.

Brilliant record....

smile.gif........Ivor

Social source share

You know, I stumbled across some old lists[thats what a sad man i am i`m afraid] and this very list from Gary S[ he used to go under the name of Blacknight Records].....He was very cheap to buy from even at the time.....Its funny because there were only 2 records on the list that were expensive[when i say expensive i mean £100]...! well, it was the late 80`s i think so it was expensive in relative terms !......One was F.Smog, the other was MarkIV on Britelite..

Thing was,i knew the F.Smog title from Sam`S Blackbeat reveiw but hadnt actually heard it. Still gives me nightmaresyes.gif

As you can guess from this,i really rate the record. Nothing whatsover to do with its rarity believe me. I reckon its an absolutely Top Class sweet soul record thats as good as any others in that vein that also just happens to be dog rare......Its funny how differently we all see things. Its a shame though i`ll never own one or be able to afford one if it does show up.

Brilliant record....

smile.gif........Ivor

When i sold my first copy King Moses and Larom Baker went the same week.Bought f Smogg before Gary listed it.Very lucky to get it back but sadly not the other two.

Social source share

You know, I stumbled across some old lists[thats what a sad man i am i`m afraid] and this very list from Gary S[ he used to go under the name of Blacknight Records].....He was very cheap to buy from even at the time....

smile.gif........Ivor

Had some superb records from Gary over the years, Ivor.

Both off the Blacknight list and from visits to his warehouse, up a backstreet in Neepsend, Sheffield.

Always remember dozens of copies of the Gifted Four, sat in a puddle, propping one of the internal doors open :thumbup:

Had known him from being a youngsta.

Great taste in music and a really first class fella.

thumbsup.gif

Sean

PS: I've got 'that' record for you.

Pm me your address and I'll get it in the post.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

those who pull this tune to bits are talking bollocks bcoz you must rememba the soul of it is in the imperfection whether it be vocally or arrangement or lyrical some tunes do get up ya nose after a while even class wigan oldies this is why tunes like this are fundamentally refreshing. give the small time guys a break for god sake and enjoy the part humility of the final product .

I'm not talking bollocks, i don't like, end of. What the f**k does bcoz mean? laugh.gif

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

well said gareth i also think there could be biassed against very rare records period.

laugh.gif

Sorry for ruining this guys wants thread but ffs. no.gif

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Sorry chaps, but personal taste is by definition 'personal'.

Its not bollocks to not like something.

That's nonsense.

It might enjoyable or refreshing to you fuzzj, but I've been hearing it played out for 20+ years... and would much prefer never to hear it again, thank you!

thumbsup.gif

Sean

me 2 15 years plus but i never tire of it sean but i do tire of trivial critique bcos of personell taste in particular in a wants forum.

Social source share

laugh.gif

Sorry for ruining this guys wants thread but ffs. no.gif

Can fully understand Fuzzj's comments myselfyes.gif

Everytime a "ultra rare" record is mentioned on SS ,9 times out of 10 it get's torn to shreds ,maybe it's too easy to say it's shite than admit you'll never own one.

I myself would'nt spend the money to own this because my wants list is too long with more affordable records that imo sound better,that does'nt mean this is shiteno.gif

Also think sometimes people just don't get it when it comes to the rawness of a tune ,instead preferring a more polished performance.

That said it is about personal taste and one man's meat is another mans poison yes.gif

P.s to the guy who put the want up in the 1st place ..good luck in your search ,and if i may be so bold...to avoid negative comments in the future ..LOCK THE POSTbiggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest wrighty

me 2 15 years plus but i never tire of it sean but i do tire of trivial critique bcos of personell taste in particular in a wants forum.

hear hear, same happened recently on a wants thread for philip wright, fine if u dont like it but why bother commenting on someone else's want?! no.gif

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

You don't like Flourescent Smogg guys............bloody hell!! yes.gif

And I'm even more gobsmacked that Mind & Matter was mentioned in the same context............we are all entitled to our opinion, and have different taste but....................FFS!! ohmy.gif

Cheers,

Mark R

If it's any consolation Mark, one of the "many" South Yorkshire opinioned rulers of "Look At Your Box" posted Modern Image - Gypsy on Philly 76. Have a listen Mark........................then that is gob smacking blush.gif .

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Everytime a "ultra rare" record is mentioned on SS ,9 times out of 10 it get's torn to shreds ,maybe it's too easy to say it's shite than admit you'll never own one.

Well people who think that way are idiots. Not guilty.

Social source share

Can fully understand Fuzzj's comments myselfyes.gif

I myself would'nt spend the money to own this because my wants list is too long with more affordable records that imo sound better,that does'nt mean this is shiteno.gif

Also think sometimes people just don't get it when it comes to the rawness of a tune ,instead preferring a more polished performance.

That said it is about personal taste and one man's meat is another mans poison yes.gif

P.s to the guy who put the want up in the 1st place ..good luck in your search ,and if i may be so bold...to avoid negative comments in the future ..LOCK THE POSTbiggrin.gif

without question brilliant synopsis nevhatsoff2.gif

Social source share

Nah Nev,

The discussion has kept the thread top pile for a couple of days, so that's gotta be good for any wants post!

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Social source share

Nah Nev,

The discussion has kept the thread top pile for a couple of days, so that's gotta be good for any wants post!

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Point taken Seanthumbsup.gif

And in fairness it's a posters prerogative to lock his/her post or suffer the consequences :smile:

My gripe is people who come on and influence the price . "oh that's a feckin four figure sum" ,but i guess no one who owns this would'nt already know that eh:no:

Happy bank hols and good will to all sourcerers:yes:

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

hear hear, same happened recently on a wants thread for philip wright, fine if u dont like it but why bother commenting on someone else's want?! no.gif

Yep. That was me i`m afraid,sorry Ian. But then Phillip Wright is Shitesmile.gif See, it even rhymeslaugh.gif

Its only music so i guess we should all lighten up a bit,

Best, Ivor

Social source share

If it's any consolation Mark, one of the "many" South Yorkshire opinioned rulers of "Look At Your Box" posted Modern Image - Gypsy on Philly 76. Have a listen Mark........................then that is gob smacking blush.gif .

I THOUGHT I`D POST THAT UP BECAUSE I LIKE IT AND ALWAYS HAVE DONE.IT ALSO CAME FROM GARY SMELT IN THE 90`S.WHEN YOU HAVE 45`S LIKE KING MOSES PLAYED ETC.... I LIKE MIND AND MATTER AND I LIKE FLUORESCENT SMOGG .NOT SURE IF IM READING YOUR POST WRONG BUT IVE NEVER SAID F.S WAS CRAP. IF YOU DONT LIKE THE MODERN IMAGE TUNE IM FINE WITH THAT BUT IF YOUR ABOVE POST IS HOW YOU SEE US IN SOUTH YORKSHIRE THEN THAT IS DISSAPOINTING.huh.gif I THOUGHT YOU WERE BETTER THAN THAT

DAVE

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

Gary smelt turned up 3 copies i had one,Nigel parker had one and i think the other went to Rod Dearlove.Sold mine to a mate for £150 but got Nigels from him for a similar price(still have this copy and mate still has my old copy).

Gary told me he had a lp by the group on a tape which he tried/thought about releasing but nothing came from this.

Another freind of mine has a picture of the group on a flyer from the US.

Chris.

If you have Nigels just see if it has is initials scratched in the run out,he had a habbit of doing that...lol

paul.

Social source share

"Get that cab out Arbon!"

That`s a lot of hours i gotta do Garethohmy.gif .Anyway that`s when the recession kicked in for our trade so i bottled paying the asking price.

Marmites his sponsor .. hahahaha . Oh hold on its a Pink cab !! laugh.gif:thumbsup:

That was years ago i had a pink livery,anyway me `sherbet` is black now.

Have you not got a copy Simon?tumbleweed3.gif

Social source share

That`s a lot of hours i gotta do Garethohmy.gif .Anyway that`s when the recession kicked in for our trade so i bottled paying the asking price.

Marmites his sponsor .. hahahaha . Oh hold on its a Pink cab !! :yes::lol:

That was years ago i had a pink livery,anyway me `sherbet` is black now.

Have you not got a copy Simon?tumbleweed3.gif

Never really chased it Wayne . I think I asked John right after Sam got it , but theres lots of obscure records to find and play ( as you well know:ph34r: ). Im no trophy hunter like Steve etc :lol::lol:

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

As you can guess from this,i really rate the record. Nothing whatsover to do with its rarity believe me. I reckon its an absolutely Top Class sweet soul record thats as good as any others in that vein that also just happens to be dog rare......Its funny how differently we all see things. Its a shame though i`ll never own one or be able to afford one if it does show upn

Brilliant record....

smile.gif........Ivor

im sure johnny weston said he was ment to or paid blacknight for a copy £500 but gary became ill & ended up not getting it.sure weston will tell if i got this wrong.met gary @ a glasgow record fair.got a few nice sealed lps off him,tempests(think he just picked up 20 copy of tempests & 20 hesitations biggies lps) for £20 & a few others.my mate was getting his lists & think got a few bargains.

was over 20 years ago i heard the floresent smog & only heard it out twice back then.great being into across the board soul,so i can say i love it.

steve.

Edited by sepia
Social source share

Never really chased it Wayne . I think I asked John right after Sam got it , but theres lots of obscure records to find and play ( as you well know:ph34r: ). Im no trophy hunter like Steve etc laugh.gif:no:

I know John A. found a few copies back in the early 80`s where Sam got his,thought you would have one of the lucky ones to have got it also.

I agree there is other obscure records to find that are on par and cheaper which is why i turned it down.Still think it`s a good recordthumbsup.gif .

Social source share

I know John A. found a few copies back in the early 80`s where Sam got his,thought you would have one of the lucky ones to have got it also.

I agree there is other obscure records to find that are on par and cheaper which is why i turned it down.Still think it`s a good recordthumbsup.gif .

Mid 80's actually . :no: ref' Blackbeat mag

Social source share

Nah Simon was well down the pecking order then....as now.:hatsoff2::wub:

John only had the one copy at the time (mid 80s) when Sam got his, and as I said earlier it was so left field I couldn't understand why Sam bought it.

Social source share

Nah Simon was well down the pecking order then....as now.:wub::thumbsup:

John only had the one copy at the time (mid 80s) when Sam got his, and as I said earlier it was so left field I couldn't understand why Sam bought it.

Ha ha Steve , you'll have to get ya Pith Helmet on for some of the Soul Bowl tunes I acquired back then :hatsoff2::thumbsup::lol: ( Soul Sam rejects mainly ) :thumbup:

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

• 1 year later...

The YouTube video has disappeared now, unless I'm misspelling it!?

flourescent smog

i used it in my video for gloucester nighter...i was asked to take it off and did

regards moldie

Social source share

Fantastic imo, however, I've never seen a copy listed for sale anywhere??

one sold on ebay while back' i think it was only vg went for big money

Social source share