100 Club: The Remedy

Sorry for the delay in posting my response to your thoughtful and encouraging comments on the 100 Club crisis. The sheer volume of postings, PMs and Emails meant that I can't now reply individually as I'd wanted to but I've gone through the thread, picked out the most pertinent points and dealt with them, the best I can.

Though there are many outside influences that can't be controlled like the economy, British rail and the licensing authorities, there are more than enough positives about the club to outweigh these hindrances for enough people to make sure we hold great nights down the club once more and regularly.

I'm totally guilty of poor promotion in recent years and probably going back many years. We've rested on our laurels and it's got us through this far, but now I've got to up my game. I need to book the DJs well in advance, get the flyers out and about and sing the club's praises whenever I get the chance. Thanks for the offers of spreading the flyers; I'll get some out after the May one when I'll be up to speed. It is a historical musical phenomenon that I should be plugging, but more importantly is a night I love going to. It just needs an extra fifty or so people in to make each night great fun and memorable; not just the anniversaries.

Specifics

I am meeting with the club owner this week to try and implement some improvements. We will look at the licensing hours but that is tough with Westminster not having been very helpful recently. Hopefully we can get coffee sorted for the needy; self included. Dancefloor: after one jazz customer slipped one night and threatened to sue, they've been reticent about giving it as good a polish as they could so I'll see if I can get it better for our nights. There are a few other improvements only worth mentioning if he agrees.

The sound system has been good for about a year now, we have had problems in the past but I find it much improved. Where we do have problems and this is the case at a lot of clubs, is that DJs are getting deafer as they get older and invariably whack the volume up too high which just distorts. Turning up the monitor usually cures this and I need to be more diligent as do they. I think the criticisms of the system are probably from the past by people who happened to venture down on a particularly troublesome night.

No free CDs due to the day job, though I can see if Kolla can get sound files on the 6TS site so I could put up 30 secs of the latest discoveries as a taster. I'll try and get some of the exclusives listed there and on occasional flyers too.

I do need to get out and about DJing more and flying the flag. I just did Leeds last weekend and enjoyed that, though it's so time consuming and expensive, I wouldn't be able to do too many and none until after Cleethorpes.

I'll look into getting cheap hotel deals for those who can make a weekend of it, when I DJ I like to know I'm less than an hour away from a bed.

I have no intention of moving away from the 100 Club unless it burns down. 99% of our history is there and it's ideal for what I and I believe the majority of 6TS members want. When we had to move to Jacks a couple of years ago the first night was brilliant, everybody came along and had a fantastic time, then nobody came after that; go figure as they say in America!

Resident DJs: I am totally happy with though with Keith having weird shifts this year it's been a bit unbalanced which can be corrected with better planning. I do need to think harder about guest DJs and should be booking some big names well in advance as well as looking for new geezers and geezeresses who are stirring it up. This month I've got a couple of crackers in Karl Heard and Dave Greet who should really add to a potentially great vibe. I'd already got Andy Dyson booked for July and none other than Richard Searling has promised that later this year he will re-live his rare 60s revival spot of the early 90s (?) that saw one of the greatest nighters that there ever was. Irish Greg who did such a brilliant job at Crossfire recently is one of the guests for August. I'll hunt down more big DJs who haven't visited for a while and will look at the odd themed night too. Musically I try to get a balance of DJs to represent the whole Northern spectrum and hope they will all use their vast collections to bring along something for everyone and play to the crowd that comes in on the night.

I'll try and book a couple of evening bashes probably mainly oldies to cater for old members who only saunter out occasionally.

I'm not going to make it member only at the moment as I believe we can tighten up on the door and some of the occasional trouble makers would have been members anyway; though some would have not. I would restate though that if anyone is being an arse to let me know sooner rather than later so we can control or get rid of the problem. It's our job to handle it and we do if we are told.

Odds and sods

Make use of Facebook more. And do that text stalker thing.

Try and find an early morning caf for those who have to or want to linger (Adam T's Balan's in Old Compton Street sounds good; 5 mins from the club).

Tubes start running at 7 not 8 on a Sunday now so it's not too long if you can't get a nightbus.

Parking is fine, Westminster won't be changing it for a while, if ever. There's no congestion charge at all at the weekend.

A crisis means you've got problems, not that you're shutting up shop!

We need a new Jim Demetriou welcoming happy new faces to the club (I'm too grumpy); at the moment Trickster, Liam and Imogen are doing a great job and Ben Summers needs to apply it universally, not just to the laydeez.

We like old gits as well as fresh young things. Some of the former have often got more to give than the latter!

I think with all this activity we should get the gaff up and running again but I will see how it goes over the year and may have to cut back one or two a year so that there aren't any 4 week gaps. Worst case scenario would be one every two months but I'd prefer a bit more than that.

I'll be doing it bit by bit but once Cleethorpes is outta da way will really work on it.

Feel free to chuck in more comments and I'll take some on board and politely reject anything I don't think would help. If I've not addressed any issues already raised, please nudge me again' there's been a lot to get through.

Cheers

Ady

Social source share

• Replies 74
  • Views 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

yay. I'll def come down for Dickie... might even bring some pom-poms, though the initials DS emblasoned accross my boobs might make some folk paranoid laugh.gif

please make sure there's plenty of notice for when he's on so I can book cheap train ticket and make sure the husband isn't working so can look after the sprogs etc...

xx

Edited by Guest
Social source share

"I'll try and book a couple of evening bashes probably mainly oldies to cater for old members who only saunter out occasionally."

Ady how about a modern soul night like you did back in the 80's. They were top nights.

As for parking just don't park in a residents bay you'll still get a fine.

Social source share

"I'll try and book a couple of evening bashes probably mainly oldies to cater for old members who only saunter out occasionally."

Ady how about a modern soul night like you did back in the 80's. They were top nights.

As for parking just don't park in a residents bay you'll still get a fine.

That's a thought, I'll work on it.

Residents bays are defo OK after 8.30 pm and before 8am though

Social source share

Sorry for the delay in posting my response to your thoughtful and encouraging comments on the 100 Club crisis. The sheer volume of postings, PMs and Emails meant that I can't now reply individually as I'd wanted to but I've gone through the thread, picked out the most pertinent points and dealt with them, the best I can.

Though there are many outside influences that can't be controlled like the economy, British rail and the licensing authorities, there are more than enough positives about the club to outweigh these hindrances for enough people to make sure we hold great nights down the club once more and regularly.

I'm totally guilty of poor promotion in recent years and probably going back many years. We've rested on our laurels and it's got us through this far, but now I've got to up my game. I need to book the DJs well in advance, get the flyers out and about and sing the club's praises whenever I get the chance. Thanks for the offers of spreading the flyers; I'll get some out after the May one when I'll be up to speed. It is a historical musical phenomenon that I should be plugging, but more importantly is a night I love going to. It just needs an extra fifty or so people in to make each night great fun and memorable; not just the anniversaries.

Specifics

I am meeting with the club owner this week to try and implement some improvements. We will look at the licensing hours but that is tough with Westminster not having been very helpful recently. Hopefully we can get coffee sorted for the needy; self included. Dancefloor: after one jazz customer slipped one night and threatened to sue, they've been reticent about giving it as good a polish as they could so I'll see if I can get it better for our nights. There are a few other improvements only worth mentioning if he agrees.

The sound system has been good for about a year now, we have had problems in the past but I find it much improved. Where we do have problems and this is the case at a lot of clubs, is that DJs are getting deafer as they get older and invariably whack the volume up too high which just distorts. Turning up the monitor usually cures this and I need to be more diligent as do they. I think the criticisms of the system are probably from the past by people who happened to venture down on a particularly troublesome night.

No free CDs due to the day job, though I can see if Kolla can get sound files on the 6TS site so I could put up 30 secs of the latest discoveries as a taster. I'll try and get some of the exclusives listed there and on occasional flyers too.

I do need to get out and about DJing more and flying the flag. I just did Leeds last weekend and enjoyed that, though it's so time consuming and expensive, I wouldn't be able to do too many and none until after Cleethorpes.

I'll look into getting cheap hotel deals for those who can make a weekend of it, when I DJ I like to know I'm less than an hour away from a bed.

I have no intention of moving away from the 100 Club unless it burns down. 99% of our history is there and it's ideal for what I and I believe the majority of 6TS members want. When we had to move to Jacks a couple of years ago the first night was brilliant, everybody came along and had a fantastic time, then nobody came after that; go figure as they say in America!

Resident DJs: I am totally happy with though with Keith having weird shifts this year it's been a bit unbalanced which can be corrected with better planning. I do need to think harder about guest DJs and should be booking some big names well in advance as well as looking for new geezers and geezeresses who are stirring it up. This month I've got a couple of crackers in Karl Heard and Dave Greet who should really add to a potentially great vibe. I'd already got Andy Dyson booked for July and none other than Richard Searling has promised that later this year he will re-live his rare 60s revival spot of the early 90s (?) that saw one of the greatest nighters that there ever was. Irish Greg who did such a brilliant job at Crossfire recently is one of the guests for August. I'll hunt down more big DJs who haven't visited for a while and will look at the odd themed night too. Musically I try to get a balance of DJs to represent the whole Northern spectrum and hope they will all use their vast collections to bring along something for everyone and play to the crowd that comes in on the night.

I'll try and book a couple of evening bashes probably mainly oldies to cater for old members who only saunter out occasionally.

I'm not going to make it member only at the moment as I believe we can tighten up on the door and some of the occasional trouble makers would have been members anyway; though some would have not. I would restate though that if anyone is being an arse to let me know sooner rather than later so we can control or get rid of the problem. It's our job to handle it and we do if we are told.

Odds and sods

Try and find an early morning café for those who have to or want to linger (Adam T's Balan's in Old Compton Street sounds good; 5 mins from the club).

Tubes start running at 7 not 8 on a Sunday now so it's not too long if you can't get a nightbus.

Parking is fine, Westminster won't be changing it for a while, if ever. There's no congestion charge at all at the weekend.

We need a new Jim Demetriou welcoming happy new faces to the club (I'm too grumpy); at the moment Trickster, Liam and Imogen are doing a great job and Ben Summers needs to apply it universally, not just to the laydeez.

We like old gits as well as fresh young things. Some of the former have often got more to give than the latter!

I think with all this activity we should get the gaff up and running again but I will see how it goes over the year and may have to cut back one or two a year so that there aren't any 4 week gaps. Worst case scenario would be one every two months but I'd prefer a bit more than that.

I'll be doing it bit by bit but once Cleethorpes is outta da way will really work on it.

Feel free to chuck in more comments and I'll take some on board and politely reject anything I don't think would help. If I've not addressed any issues already raised, please nudge me again' there's been a lot to get through.

Cheers

Ady

I'll be be back down as soon as my leave coincides thats for sure..........Greety n Karl..........sh*t the bed, now thats gonna be tunes for ya woohooooooooooooo. I'm so jealous I'll miss May its gonna be legendary.............

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

I think it would be great if you could encourage dj's to put up playlists on 'lookbacks' feature on this site.

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

I think it would be great if you could encourage dj's to put up playlists on 'lookbacks' feature on this site.

Social source share

Specifics

Odds and sods

Try and find an early morning caf for those who have to or want to linger (Adam T's Balan's in Old Compton Street sounds good; 5 mins from the club).

Cheers

Ady

That just about sums it up, you the man mate. Heres a promise, you get out there pushing it again and I'll equally stop being lazy and start getting down more again.

Dave

Social source share

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this but that Stelios geezer has got a bunch of very basic "EasyHotels". Paddington, Victoria, Earls Court & South Ken I think. £25.00 a night in some of the hotels if booked in advance- great value for London. The trick is to book as early as possible to get that price.

Not posh, but its a clean bed and somewhere to get a shower.

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

I think that this could be the start of something even better than what it already was yes.gif roll on the 22nd itas gonna be awsome thumbup.gif

Social source share

good to see folk coming together on something like this...

I am gonna be there fingers crossed to see the Heard and mates who are gonna make the trip from Sweden.... All the making of a good night...

Just some quilted soft paper in them bogs and coffee machine now Ady, then you could have a lockout :lol::D

Alison made a good point...

If you give links to cheap hotel/ BnB deal with promotions it really does help when choosing to make the trip..... If there is a link to what Alison talked about then please let us know, could look at that now..... The cost is a big factor with regards to London, i have been told its a quid for a game of pool down there now :thumbsup: , thats a weeks feed for my ferrets..

Its all looking good..... :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Alison made a good point...

If you give links to cheap hotel/ BnB deal with promotions it really does help when choosing to make the trip..... If there is a link to what Alison talked about then please let us know, could look at that now..... The cost is a big factor with regards to London, i have been told its a quid for a game of pool down there now ohmy.gif , thats a weeks feed for my ferrets..

Its all looking good..... thumbsup.gif

https://www.easyhotel.com/about_us.html

Need to go onto the book early/pay less section.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

It is as refreshing as it is unsurprising to see that a promoter has asked and listened to the punters. And that the promoter is Ady.

thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Ady, if you need any help on the facebook side of things, let me know. Myself and Paul (Beat Boutique) have built up a decent base on our respectives groups/pages, and it's easy enough to increase visibility on the many other related pages on the system.

It's a useful way of sharing info on upcoming events, updates / improvements, confirmed DJ's, hotels / treval etc.

PM me for anything you need mate.

Best,

Azza

Social source share

What Steve Cato neglected to mention, due to modesty, was that he's been booked as a guest for later in the year too.

And deservedly so as well, the king of the underplayed and good taste!

Mark me down for attending this one, i wouldn't miss it for the world. :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest aaz19tdi

I can only wish you all the luck and to say the Soul Cake crew will come and support it in the future. Also we are out all over the country most weekends Souling it, if you get me some flyers sent over(pm me and ill give you my address) ill gladly give them out .thumbsup.gif

Social source share

The South Yorkshire Soul Searchers are coming oop fumpt tarn by car,

Ady can you recommend where to park please?

If your Massey Ferguson's not too big, try the couple of mews round the back of the club both are called Berners Mews (not cat related though; surprisingly) or Berners St or Eastcastle St or Newman St where the renowned Blue Posts hostelry will be brimmimg with Northern soul pissheads. Remember single yellows are OK at the weekend and residents bays are OK after 8.30 pm and up to 8 am.

Drive safely and stick to the roads.

Social source share

Thanks Alison and Azza, I'll be catching up with all the kind people who've offered to help over the next few days and weeks.

What Steve Cato neglected to mention, due to modesty, was that he's been booked as a guest for later in the year too.

Ian Clark back as a guest DJ would also ensure a packer !

Social source share

Looks like May is going to be packed, but I'm also planning to do July etc to keep the support going which is needed long term...

Mark Cwink.gif

Good man Mark, I've been advising folks that if they have a choice of either May or July 3rd (none in June) to go for July as May seems to be taking care of itself. But if they're little darlings like you they should go for the pair.

Social source share

So when we get to the twin towers of Wembley can we see that Gherkin building and if so how far are we from there, can we walk? I have to ask as Sheila has had an operation on her Lisk and I don't think it fair her carrying all our stuff too far?

Will it be ok to leave a dog in the car? I have to ask as we have an important race later on Sunday afternoon, mind you the dog is to fight a badger on Friday night so it will all depend on the Veterinary, if he is sober the stitching usually takes, Badgers can be so cruel! Ady do you want us to bring any badgers mate? I know you have foxes n stuff up in the smoke but our badgers fight for their lives and make a top day out for the kids.

Any way back to directions, if we follow the river, will this take us to the Gherkin? I am keen to see this as Sheila rekons it looks like a giant Hampton?

Can you also put our minds at rest on the early morning caf, one of the lads is saying that he was charged ₤1:70 for a full English!!!!!!! Plus he said the coffee tasted funny and it was all just froth!!!!!

Social source share

Any way back to directions, if we follow the river, will this take us to the Gherkin? I am keen to see this as Sheila rekons it looks like a giant Hampton?

My favorite building in the whole of London Simon thumbsup.gif maybe one day my better half will treat me to a romantic meal at the restaurant in there yes.gifyes.gif

Social source share

Guest 2648 W Grand Boulevard

Come on Rob you could drive one of yer own trains down. The 6TS Special: it has a ring to it!

That would be worth seeing ohmy.gif Mind you on a coal train there aint many places to hang on to unless you're from Maltby and you've been jumping on & off coal wagons since you were three years old laugh.gif

The 100 Club is one of the legendary venues that must be experienced, I have never managed it yet even though I have the advantage of free rail travel. Shift work plus the "buggeration" factor of getting back up north on a Sunday morning as hanging around Kings Cross for four hours would have put a bit of a damper on the night

However since moving back "darn sarf" the logistics of getting to the big city are a bit easier and the train service from Paddington back to Swindon starts a lot earlier on a Sunday morning. So a good breakfast and a gentle stroll down to Lancaster Gate through to Paddington would be a good way to finish the night.

May 22nd is out but I will certainly be looking with interest at the dates following and seeing what I can do to attend, I'll also have a look on Facebook.

Keep up the good work,

Dave

Social source share

Specifics

Odds and sods

Cheers

Ady

All good Stuff Ady...!!yes.gif Will be there on 22nd supporting.

Social source share

So when we get to the twin towers of Wembley can we see that Gherkin building and if so how far are we from there, can we walk? I have to ask as Sheila has had an operation on her Lisk and I don't think it fair her carrying all our stuff too far?

Will it be ok to leave a dog in the car? I have to ask as we have an important race later on Sunday afternoon, mind you the dog is to fight a badger on Friday night so it will all depend on the Veterinary, if he is sober the stitching usually takes, Badgers can be so cruel! Ady do you want us to bring any badgers mate? I know you have foxes n stuff up in the smoke but our badgers fight for their lives and make a top day out for the kids.

Can you also put our minds at rest on the early morning caf, one of the lads is saying that he was charged ₤1:70 for a full English!!!!!!! Plus he said the coffee tasted funny and it was all just froth!!!!!

Philistine!!!..Its a aubergine Simon!!!.If your hampton looks like that get y'sen to the doc's - pronto.

Tip of the day..steer clear of the Latte.(frothy coffee - £3 plus).McDonalds is good enough for any man.

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

Thanks Alison and Azza, I'll be catching up with all the kind people who've offered to help over the next few days and weeks.

:thumbup:

Well done Ady, i think that your reply to everyones comments/feedback was spot on. See you in May, June (at Cleggy!!!!) and July!:rolleyes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert