Eli Paperboy Reed

I first heard his new track "Come and get it" on my local radio station a few weeks ago and immediately picked up on it's 60's soul/motown style. Didn't catch the artists name but soon discovered it to be Eli Paperboy Reed who it appears paid his own way to get around the circuit finally to be recognised and signed by Capitol.

I've gotta say it's being plugged big time, which is amazing for this style of music on a commercial radio station that covers a significant portion of the South Coast.

Eli makes reference to Bobby Womacks "What is this" as one of his favourite/influential tracks. Come and get it is well worth a listen, so the link is below:

https://elipaperboyreed.com/uk/

Regards, Lee

Edited by SoulfulSolutions
Social source share

• Replies 85
  • Views 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

a lot of radio stations are playing this, it was radio 2 album of the week last week, i like name calling and 'i found you out' too.

i thought the single may have charted this week i just checked and it didnt :) must be cheryl cole fans arnt biting on this :thumbsup:

Edited by ric-tic
Social source share

a lot of radio stations are playing this, it was radio 2 album of the week last week, i like name calling and 'i found you out' too.

i thought the single may have charted this week i just checked and it didnt no.gif must be cheryl cole fans arnt biting on this rolleyes.gif

gettin' deserved plays on soul radio shows - 45 will get an airing @Riley Smith Hall thumbsup.gif
Social source share

Guest Paul

i thought the single may have charted this week i just checked and it didnt no.gif must be cheryl cole fans arnt biting on this rolleyes.gif

Well it was only released on Monday.

Last week (ahead of release) it was number 22 in the UK airplay chart, up 43% with 394 plays. The previous week it was 'record of the week' on Radio 2 and it's on the 'A' list of other stations such as Smooth Radio Network etc.

I think it will chart next week.

It's also worth noting that many of Eli's fans are buying the album, and therefore may not need the single, so that may also effect the chart position of the single. And thousands of people bought it on download ahead of release.

Paul

P.S. The new LP enters the official UK album chart tomorrow at number 70 on it's first week of release. It's the 12th highest new entry

Edited by Paul
Social source share

Guest Paul

Also check out Eli's version of 'Young Girl' (the first track on the album) which may become a future single.

Social source share

Guest Paul

my favourite track great version.

Daryl

Hello Daryl,

I admit I'm biased about that because Millbrand Music controls rights to 'Young Girl' but my own favourite from Eli's new album is the ballad 'Pick Your Battles'. I play it all the time.

Best wishes,

Paul

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Can someone enlighten me (Paul?) as to which record EPR's stolen that bass intro from?

It's been driving me potty for weeks!

Social source share

Guest Paul

Can someone enlighten me (Paul?) as to which record EPR's stolen that bass intro from?

Same here, Tony, I've been trying to think of it.

I might see Eli tonight in Edinburgh so I'll ask him (in a diplomatic way of course).

It certainly reminds me of something - maybe a Motown bass line?

Best wishes

Paul

Social source share

Thanks everyone for your replies, interesting to hear how well he's known and that his release is likely to do well and get him some rewards. Gutted I hadn't picked up on him in time to pick up tickets for his Brighton gig, heigh ho, if he's going big, there'll be plenty of other opportunities. I'll be picking up his album that's for sure. Keep on! Lee

Social source share

I first heard his new track "Come and get it" on my local radio station a few weeks ago and immediately picked up on it's 60's soul/motown style. Didn't catch the artists name but soon discovered it to be Eli Paperboy Reed who it appears paid his own way to get around the circuit finally to be recognised and signed by Capitol.

I've gotta say it's being plugged big time, which is amazing for this style of music on a commercial radio station that covers a significant portion of the South Coast.

Eli makes reference to Bobby Womacks "What is this" as one of his favourite/influential tracks. Come and get it is well worth a listen, so the link is below:

Regards, Lee

Been having a listen to the album on Spotify and noticed EPR appears on a compilation called Soulshaker Vol 5 which has loads of other impressive contemporary soul with a vintage twist eg Baby Charles, Kings go Forth, Zamali, Sweet Devines - well worth investigating

Social source share

Guest villageofbeers

Just back from The Bongo Club In Edinburgh .Eli,s the real deal Absolutely brilliant set.This guys got the lot.The True Loves were awesome ,best vocalist and backing band I,ve seen for years

Social source share

Guest villageofbeers

Where can i buy a vinyl version of the album, sounds immense?!

Got the single by the way thumbsup.gif

Cheers

Azza

Vinyl can be bought via Amazon methinks.Was good to see the single on sale at the gig(Orange n Yellow Capitol)Was selling like hotcakes!

Social source share

Just back from The Bongo Club In Edinburgh .Eli,s the real deal Absolutely brilliant set.This guys got the lot.The True Loves were awesome ,best vocalist and backing band I,ve seen for years

Just back myself, a stonking night and he is defo a black man trapped inside a white body biggrin.gif

I felt at times he was rather nervous but he is young and will fine tune in time :thumbup:

Got the single and signed by the man himself :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest Simon

Sorry but it's just another case of Duffy, Winehouse et al for me, yes the man's got some talent, good voice, can play well but for me it's just a pastiche of 'old' music.

I really don't see the point especially playing his records at dos when you've got thousands of the real thing to play, i can sort of understand seeing him live for a half decent night out i s'pose.

Simon

Social source share

Sorry but it's just another case of Duffy, Winehouse et al for me, yes the man's got some talent, good voice, can play well but for me it's just a pastiche of 'old' music.

I really don't see the point especially playing his records at dos when you've got thousands of the real thing to play, i can sort of understand seeing him live for a half decent night out i s'pose.

Simon

If the criteria is just that the music is "old" versus "good" (which somehow makes it authentic) that seems sort of silly to me, as a lot of "northern soul" is often mediocre copies of hit record sounds as DJs now need obscurer and obscurer records to outdo each other now as everything has already been played ... e.g. I would rather listen to smokey and the miracles and the impressions than a lot of in demand northern records. I don't like duffy or amy winehouse but I do like alicia keys and some other new music like eli or kgf better than many northern sounds.

You are totally entitled to your opinion if you don't actually like eli's music though or if you think it's just okay but totally derivative and generic, etc., I just don't think the specific generalization you're making is fair in this case. I would just want it to be clear that the "thousands of the real thing" are actually better records, not just older records...

Social source share

Rather be playing and listening to the real stuff- "thousands of the real thing" (thanks boba)- rather than "tribute" pop records.  God forbid if real soul promoters are allowing this stuff to be played at their venues. However, lately nothing would surprise me. 

Social source share

Isn't this a great opportunity for the younger generation to be introduced in to the soul genre? we were amazed at the amount of young people at the gig on Monday really digging his music and perhaps unaware where his roots lie, I would say 90% of the audience there were under 30, can't be bad can it? :thumbsup:

Lenny

Social source share

Guest Simon

Isn't this a great opportunity for the younger generation to be introduced in to the soul genre? we were amazed at the amount of young people at the gig on Monday really digging his music and perhaps unaware where his roots lie, I would say 90% of the audience there were under 30, can't be bad can it? :thumbsup:

Lenny

That's definitely not a bad thing Lenny that people had a good night out & it'll be nice if they discover the 6ts & 7ts authentic stuff through that experience.

But for me personally an over 30 & someone who already knows where his music came from & was influenced by, there's nothing in it for me, it's just a facsimile of old music & nothing modern wise has been added, it's totally derivative.

Simon

Social source share

That's definitely not a bad thing Lenny that people had a good night out & it'll be nice if they discover the 6ts & 7ts authentic stuff through that experience.

But for me personally an over 30 & someone who already knows where his music came from & was influenced by, there's nothing in it for me, it's just a facsimile of old music & nothing modern wise has been added, it's totally derivative.

Simon

I bought his single on the night Simon and in reality went to the gig to see if his album would be worth buying (which was also on sale vinyl and CD) but his choice of songs didn't convince me to buy it but not saying that his 60s soul revue type gig wasn't very good but as others have said on here I'd prefer the real thing and hopefully his younger audience will seek out just what makes him tick,

Lenny

Social source share

Guest Simon

Well,I think its a cracking dance tune,new or old whats it matter ,if its got what it takes,and i think this has,play it out

Bazza

It doesn't have what it takes though, it just sounds like someone from now trying to make an old Soul record, fine for seeing live if that's your thing but it's 'newness' shines out imo.

Simon

Social source share

Sorry but I kinda like my 2010 Soul music to sound like err 2010 Soul music & this certainly don't fit the bill IMO.

More like a 'male Duffy wanabee' to me. Not slagging the Paperboy chappie by that statement as it's quite a nice pop record with a catchy fashionable retro beat but new Soul music it ain't im afraid.

Will be interesting to see how many folks who are saying they like it now still will in 12 months time. Remember the Duffy, Whinehouse, Stone (actually quite like Joss Stone though) syndrome?

Might I suggest if you want some REAL 2010 Soul music you could do worse than check out the Soul Unsigned 2010 compilation album on the link below.

It contains a bit of everything from midtempo & uptempo grooves & a couple of rather nice Boogie tracks (1&2). Also a nice retro sounding track if that's your thing (Soopasoul - Do Me Wrong).

Worst thing though is the Paperboy will probably make more cash from his pop record than the entire artist list on the 2010 album. Don't begrudge him a penny but would like the folks who make 'real Soul music' to earn a few quid unlike in the past. Sure as fans of Soul music you'd ALL agree with thatyes.gif

https://www.soulunsigned.com/records/sudj002.htm

Social source share

Im trying really hard not scratch me bollocks ,yawn , and chip in something in keeping with the other miserable condescendin b88888ds on here moanin about its newness bein a rip off of somethin older or tryin to do somethin ,s bin done already. I like it , his voice the changin tempo , its a happy tune. If i hadnt been to a venue in thirty years ,id pick this out and enjoy it, instead of picking petty holes in its authenticity or originality. C****.!

Social source share

Guest Hunnymon

He was live on "live from Daryl Halls house" a few months ago, I'll see if it's still up.

Yes it is - this should link it up

https://www.livefromdarylshouse.com/index.php?page=ep27

Enjoy the show!

Being a fan of sweet soulmusic I quite like "pick a number" even though the melody is a a bit of a rip off of "Have You Seen Her" (as mentioned).

I do believe that somebody needs to make this type of music today because of the sheer quality of todays sound systems.

thumbsup.gif Eli gets the thumbs up from me!

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Trevski's two pennorth worth. I really like him, and I think he sounds good. As to if I will be sick of it in 6 months is neither here nor there, I have got sick of stuff like Joe Jama faster than that. I'd rather go and see Eli paperboy Reed do a show, than some clapped out 65 year old who's voice has gone, trying to recreate what they did in the 60's when they were Eli's age! Good luck to the lad, and a :unsure: from Me!

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Sorry but I kinda like my 2010 Soul music to sound like err 2010 Soul music & this certainly don't fit the bill IMO.

More like a 'male Duffy wanabee' to me. Not slagging the Paperboy chappie by that statement as it's quite a nice pop record with a catchy fashionable retro beat but new Soul music it ain't im afraid.

Will be interesting to see how many folks who are saying they like it now still will in 12 months time. Remember the Duffy, Whinehouse, Stone (actually quite like Joss Stone though) syndrome?

Might I suggest if you want some REAL 2010 Soul music you could do worse than check out the Soul Unsigned 2010 compilation album on the link below.

It contains a bit of everything from midtempo & uptempo grooves & a couple of rather nice Boogie tracks (1&2). Also a nice retro sounding track if that's your thing (Soopasoul - Do Me Wrong).

Worst thing though is the Paperboy will probably make more cash from his pop record than the entire artist list on the 2010 album. Don't begrudge him a penny but would like the folks who make 'real Soul music' to earn a few quid unlike in the past. Sure as fans of Soul music you'd ALL agree with thatyes.gif

https://www.soulunsig...rds/sudj002.htm

I listen to modern R&B on the radio. I know different people who listen to all flavors of house music (especially since I'm in Chicago) and "neo-soul" (which is what most of the tracks on that link sound like to me). I even know older people who listen to the Johnny Taylor "last two dollars" type of blues which occasionally gets claimed by the modern soul people here if the track has the right sound. None of them claim to be "soul music 2010". As far as I'm concerned, there is no genre any more being produced that is "soul music" and there hasn't been for a long time. All of these genres come out of soul but none of them are "soul" or claim to be. Therefore, there is no "soul music" for Eli to infringe on. Moreover, I don't think Eli is claiming to be "soul" either. I think it's only a few people overseas claiming to actually create a new "soul music" scene. I honestly can't imagine anyone who is really into neo-soul listening to Eli's music and being offended like it's infringing on their music -- they more likely just wouldn't care because it was too different. Similarly, people into northern soul already don't care about the style of music on that comp and will continue to not care, independent of Eli's music. It's apples and oranges, two different styles, my point before was about the sound, not new versus old.

The music on that comp sounded pretty good, by the way, but it didn't sound like northern soul to me. It did resemble modern soul and I could see it appealing to people who like modern.

Social source share

Im trying really hard not scratch me bollocks ,yawn , and chip in something in keeping with the other miserable condescendin b88888ds on here moanin about its newness bein a rip off of somethin older or tryin to do somethin ,s bin done already. I like it , his voice the changin tempo , its a happy tune. If i hadnt been to a venue in thirty years ,id pick this out and enjoy it, instead of picking petty holes in its authenticity or originality. C****.!

Got to agree with that Andy,listened to him on jules holland and think he is a breath of fresh air ,talented and should be recognised as such.

Epecially in this day and age with all the crap in the world. credit where its due and personally it certainly is due.

Social source share

Regards, Lee

yeah, he is really good

a total talent !

post modernism sounds ok at the moment !

Edited by mossy
Social source share

I liked the previous album, like the new single (don't really like the video for it though), love his version of Motorhead "Ace of Spades" on 45. Need to hear this new album in it's entirity but I'm pretty sure I'll like that too. Good stuff. I'm all for him getting some recognition & money from a major label to do his thing. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Agreed. And what makes me laugh, there's a link to a new release Beres Hammond track on here which people are raving about, it's as dull as anything I've ever heard and a complete waste of vinyl, this Eli Paperboy Reed record leaps out of the speakers and is fresh as a daisy. If there has to be such a thing as Modern NORTHERN Soul, why can't this be it?

Social source share

I thought most of it was nicked to be honest.

Nice but thin is my opinion.

But I am old and grumpy. :yes:

Social source share

Guest Cathryn Bower

It's ok but lacks depth and sounds a bit tinny to me. Great for a night club but not a northern soul night!

Social source share

I listen to modern R&B on the radio. I know different people who listen to all flavors of house music (especially since I'm in Chicago) and "neo-soul" (which is what most of the tracks on that link sound like to me). I even know older people who listen to the Johnny Taylor "last two dollars" type of blues which occasionally gets claimed by the modern soul people here if the track has the right sound. None of them claim to be "soul music 2010". As far as I'm concerned, there is no genre any more being produced that is "soul music" and there hasn't been for a long time. All of these genres come out of soul but none of them are "soul" or claim to be. Therefore, there is no "soul music" for Eli to infringe on. Moreover, I don't think Eli is claiming to be "soul" either. I think it's only a few people overseas claiming to actually create a new "soul music" scene. I honestly can't imagine anyone who is really into neo-soul listening to Eli's music and being offended like it's infringing on their music -- they more likely just wouldn't care because it was too different. Similarly, people into northern soul already don't care about the style of music on that comp and will continue to not care, independent of Eli's music. It's apples and oranges, two different styles, my point before was about the sound, not new versus old.

The music on that comp sounded pretty good, by the way, but it didn't sound like northern soul to me. It did resemble modern soul and I could see it appealing to people who like modern.

Thank you for a well worded & thoughtful reply Boba. It really is appreciated. It does open a few cans of worms though especially the comments about no Soul being made now. I'm sure as a resident of Chicago you will know that a hell of a lot of Soulful House music hails from your fine City, now if that ain't soulful I don't know what is.

I could go on for hours about the current Modern Soul scene & perhaps a visit to the essential Modern Soul ( EMS ) forum might open your eyes to new Soul releases. Don't think this thread is really the place to discuss it though as it's going wildly off topic & I am a Mod on here so have to set examples to the rest of the horrible bunch:laugh:

Just an example for you though is the Eli Paperboy thread an the EMS site has only had around 2 comments & hardly any hits but the Soul Unsigned thread has had around 30 comments & several hundred hits.

Again I'll wish Eli all the best with this release but I'm just trying to champion the cause of other Soul artists & I'm sure he'd do the same.

Thanks for listening BTW & perhaps you might like to go back & have a listen to track 6 Cool Million - Back For More as it's been probably the biggest sound on the UK Modern Soul scene this year.

My final point is that you said the comp didn't sound like Northern Soul but it's not trying to.

We'll leave the trying to sound like Northern Soul to the likes of Duffy, Kings Go Forth, Levine new releases & yes the Paperboy.

Social source share

What I'm saying is we are (and have been) part of the greatest underground dance music scene ever. We are flattered when these imitation 'tribute' pop records appear but shouldn't take 'em too seriously should we? Of course we shouldn't.

Edited by Stuart Bower
Social source share

should of heard this ages ago, its ok, he can sing, the song is well...... bit pastiche really, and the whole thing a little on the derivative side for me folks. not knocking it cause itsa new, but he aint a patch on James Hunter. and not in the same league as nicole Willis, sharon jones or most of the timmion stuff.

Edited by geeselad
Social source share

should of heard this ages ago, its ok, he can sing, the song is well...... bit pastiche really, and the whole thing a little on the derivative side for me folks. not knocking it cause itsa new, but he aint a patch on James Hunter. and not in the same league as nicole Willis, sharon jones or most of the timmion stuff.

Of course it's pastiche-it's a soul/motown tribute pop record in the same league as Wham but it probably ain't gonna sell as many copies.

But not as good a voice as George Michael? What do you think?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert