Big Records , Or Great Records Bought For Next To Nothing

personally This year has been a great year for buying records so far , ive picked up so many 45s for next to nothing and all such great tunes , i was speaking to a friend and he also has been piking up lots of his big wants , and keeps telling me storys of picking up records for under a 100 quid , that years back cost a lot more! i love hearing tales about people securing there prized want or new sound that they´ve been after for next to a buck or two , so would be great to get a topic started on here with peoples input as to what theyve bought recently for steal prices ,

heres one to get us started

https://cgi.ebay.com/...e=STRK:MEWNX:IT

this one has been going quite big recently , manships booking it at 200 / 250 now so couldnt believe my eyes when i seen this , i started to question if it was a reissue etc etc ..... well it turned up today and is more or less mint after a good clean! i almost felt sorry for the buyer taking it off him at this price , i even thought about sending him an offer but thought that would just be rude! i also picked up a clarence hill on mainstream for next to nothing a few months back, i know there is a boot of this one so sent a scan over to a few pro´s and got it confirmed an original , so again another great buy! it just makes you think if we over price our records in the uk ? as if you look furher afield or know an american dealer the prices seem to differ an awful lot!

would love to see some more examples about dirt cheap 45´s that seemed to escape the net of everbody else!

cheers

Edited by soulgirl85
Social source share

• Replies 35
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

personally This year has been a great year for buying records so far , ive picked up so many 45s for next to nothing and all such great tunes , i was speaking to a friend and he also has been piking up lots of his big wants , and keeps telling me storys of picking up records for under a 100 quid , that years back cost a lot more! i love hearing tales about people securing there prized want or new sound that they´ve been after for next to a buck or two , so would be great to get a topic started on here with peoples input as to what theyve bought recently for steal prices ,

this one has been going quite big recently , manships booking it at 200 / 250 now so couldnt believe my eyes when i seen this , i started to question if it was a reissue etc etc ..... well it turned up today and is more or less mint after a good clean! i almost felt sorry for the buyer taking it off him at this price , i even thought about sending him an offer but thought that would just be rude! i also picked up a clarence hill on mainstream for next to nothing a few months back, i know there is a boot of this one so sent a scan over to a few pro´s and got it confirmed an original , so again another great buy! it just makes you think if we over price our records in the uk ? as if you look furher afield or know an american dealer the prices seem to differ an awful lot!

would love to see some more examples about dirt cheap 45´s that seemed to escape the net of everbody else!

cheers

People have always picked up bargins off ebay, too many records for everyone to buy so it's pretty obvious that some great records go through for nothing, sold some of my own on ebay for peanuts compared to book price it's the luck of the draw as both a buyer and seller.

Social source share

People have always picked up bargins off ebay, too many records for everyone to buy so it's pretty obvious that some great records go through for nothing, sold some of my own on ebay for peanuts compared to book price it's the luck of the draw as both a buyer and seller.

usually when buying records from ebay they have to be unknowns or without soundfile to get them cheap! if its popular and rare then usually they all go for mad money or near enough book price , ive found a few 45´sin the past year though that should be 150 book price , and ive picked them up for $10 as but it nows , i think its prob just luck of the draw being online the same time its listed , normally by a seller that doesnt own a record shop and doesnt really know how to price them!

Social source share

Recently picked up the Chevrons 'Love, I Love You' on MMC (first label) for £16...a bargain, so decided to sell my Independence labelled one (mint) on ebay. It books at nigh on £100.

A great Blue-Eyed romper stomper of a tune and I really thought this would go for at least £50/60 but only got £23 for it!! huh.gif ...are prices down on this tune? Thought it was picking up spins?

Social source share

Guest rosies dad

Recently picked up the Chevrons 'Love, I Love You' on MMC (first label) for £16...a bargain, so decided to sell my Independence labelled one (mint) on ebay. It books at nigh on £100.

A great Blue-Eyed romper stomper of a tune and I really thought this would go for at least £50/60 but only got £23 for it!! huh.gif ...are prices down on this tune? Thought it was picking up spins?

that records comes from right here in my hometown of Lincoln, Nebraska... but talking about bargains.. my favorite personal story happened to me about 6 or 7 years ago, in Iowa. i came into this record shop and start looking thru the 45's. the owner says to me he just got a bunch of new ones in and he's going thru and pricing them right now.. so as i'm digging around he is pricing his new arrivals and occasionally putting them on the record player if he doesnt know what they are...so here i am digging and pouring out of the speakers, filling the room is Luther Ingram "if its all the same" and he plays a few seconds of it, and puts another record on..so i say, hey that was a nice one, i'll have that. and he says ok, i'll price it and you can take it when you leave... of course for the next hour that im in there all im thinking about is that record and wondering how much he's gonna charge me for it. when i finally go to ring my purchases up he plops the luther ingram down with a $5 price tag on it. and its a white promo! ha...i tried not to act too excited. that was a good one. i also found a roger hatcher in that shop another time for a buck.

jacob

Social source share

RCA BLACK STOCK COPY OF ROBERT WALKER FOR $8 IS MY BEST THIS YEAR,

LITTLE HELEN MORE AND MORE/WHAT ABOUT ME BOY.SOULTOWN 106. DISC IS M- LAST NIGHT FOR $17 WAS'NT TOO BAD EITHER

LITTLE HELEN WHAT ABOUT ME -

LITTLE HELEN MORE & MORE -

OH AND A GORDY WHITE DEMO OF THIS FOR 99C

KEV

Social source share

that records comes from right here in my hometown of Lincoln, Nebraska... but talking about bargains.. my favorite personal story happened to me about 6 or 7 years ago, in Iowa. i came into this record shop and start looking thru the 45's. the owner says to me he just got a bunch of new ones in and he's going thru and pricing them right now.. so as i'm digging around he is pricing his new arrivals and occasionally putting them on the record player if he doesnt know what they are...so here i am digging and pouring out of the speakers, filling the room is Luther Ingram "if its all the same" and he plays a few seconds of it, and puts another record on..so i say, hey that was a nice one, i'll have that. and he says ok, i'll price it and you can take it when you leave... of course for the next hour that im in there all im thinking about is that record and wondering how much he's gonna charge me for it. when i finally go to ring my purchases up he plops the luther ingram down with a $5 price tag on it. and its a white promo! ha...i tried not to act too excited. that was a good one. i also found a roger hatcher in that shop another time for a buck.

jacob

great find !! kind of puts my big maybelle $7 to shame , i think id have a heart attack if i found a 45 that good for that cheap , i bet you were sweating when the store owner was pricing them up , prob hoping he was going to wack a $300 on it , which still would have been a right steal! He must not have had manships guide with him laugh.gif

Edited by soulgirl85
Social source share

i always go to the recordfair in z¼rich once a year, not that big but always good finds... for example:

- a mint german issue with pic. sleeve of the metros-since i found my baby for 30 swiss francs (18£)

- a mint jimmy ellie - i'm gonna do it by myself for 20 swiss francs (13£)

- a vg+ copy of of george kirby - what can i do for 5 swiss francs (3£)

thumbsup.gif

Social source share

ryan, I still wonder where you found 2 copies of the Magicians.. now, that must have been one big bargain!! yes.gif

Best ones for me are:

- Louis Paul "The change will do you good" on Intro found in a r'n'r / country lot on ebay, got the whole lot (12 records) for 470$

- 8 mint copies of Joe & Ann "Runnin' & Foolin'" for 15$ each

- Gloria Grey "It's a sweet world", mint, 5$ buy it now

Social source share

I'm with you mace, never seem to get any records for cheap these days unless of course they've not quite had thier day yet, Rene Bloch $30, Ray Rodriguez $20.

Although I have just seen a £1000+ massive soul record pass through the bay today for $0.99 I forgot to bid and the seller ended the auction early apparently he ended up selling it to his neighbour angry.gifangry.gifsad.gifsad.gif, sounds a wee bit dodgy to me. I'm working on it trying to negotiate a deal (fingers crossed)

Social source share

B&$t&rd$...I never find fcukall..... :thumbup:

That Big Maybelle is a tuff one on a white promo mind. :ohmy:

yeah ive got both the purple issue and a white promo now! id never seen it on white promo so its a nice addition , the price just makes it that much more pleasing! :o) got the sales cd yesterday mate , some cracking stuff on there !!!

Social source share

I'm with you mace, never seem to get any records for cheap these days unless of course they've not quite had thier day yet, Rene Bloch $30, Ray Rodriguez $20.

Although I have just seen a £1000+ massive soul record pass through the bay today for $0.99 I forgot to bid and the seller ended the auction early apparently he ended up selling it to his neighbour angry.gifangry.gifsad.gifsad.gif, sounds a wee bit dodgy to me. I'm working on it trying to negotiate a deal (fingers crossed)

there has been more ray rod´s and rene blochs on the bay ? 2 belting latin tracks , first heard played by you as it happens :o) i waited years for ray rodruigez and picked one up for $110 on ebay about 2 months ago , the first one id seen on ebay since you got yours ! also got 2 rene blochs ( one which i sold to a mate ) from a dealer i know in the states , both impossibly hard tunes!!! so whats this big soul record we all missed then ??

Social source share

A few years ago now, but a bloke had listed the flip of Chuck Cockerham and not listed under "northern" or "soul" so I PMd him and we swiftly cut a deal. I offered $50 which he accepted but then I saw him listing a Barbara McNair too, so I sent him $100 for the two, as felt a wee bit guilty as he was really polite and helpful. Both arrived stone mint. The other 45s were pop and country (he only listed about 20) so god knows how them two ended up in there. Happy days :hatsoff2: You just got to be really lucky these days as most are spotted by one of us this side of the pond as soon as they're listed.

Rich

Social source share

How much did you pay for that if you don't mind me asking?

dropped on with this one , $200 from a guy i know in louisville! he doesnt use popsike or have manships guide either so he pulls some good stuff out for me quite regular , ive had a few of them renaissance of rhythm´s from him too which is selling for good money on ebay nowdays!

Social source share

Guest jonnysoul

About 2 months ago picked up a Larry Santos-You Got Me Where You Want Me(EVOLUTION) for $3.00 and a Lee Williams-Lost Love W/D for $3.00

NOT A BAD RESULT ME THINKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!yes.gif

Social source share

:yes: Harvey Averne Dozen - Maybe just a small bargain Mace :thumbsup:

biggrin.gif ...wasn't off ebay mind....out the boot of some guys car in Pennsylvania..... wink.gif

Think my best bargain off ebay was probably Herb Ward 'Strange Change' mixed in with a load of Spice Girls 45s and other assorted crappy pop records.

Seller had prepacked 'em all prior to auction end so had to take the lot.

Anyone chasing any Spice Girls 45s feel free to send me a P.M. :yes:

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

10 years ago, at a party I was asked by the host if I wanted to buy her ex's records, they'd been sitting in spare room for three years and she'd not heard from him and I did'nt know him, we'd gatecrashed the dosmile.gif

anyway, the second record in the pile was Angel baby - Darrel Banks on UK Atlantic.

Offeredher £25 for 80 odd singles purley on Angel Baby which I'd been after for years.

Got them home inc in set were things, that I remember, like

Take a chance on me - Jack Montgomery - (only when I saw Brownie mention this in a old copy of Shadows thought I've got that and it was £20 a copy at the time)

Sidras Theme - Ronnie and Robin

Being without you - Maurice Williams

Bok to Bach - Fathers Angels

Long term....the best £25 I've ever spenthatsoff2.gif

Social source share

Guest son of stan

Not really anything exciting for years. But in the mid 80s, wandering around London, I used to have quite a bit of success:

• Dean Courtney "Love, You Just Can't Walk Away" (MGM demo) from some little rockabilly shop that used to be on Fulham Broadway £3.50. Only ever went there once.. could never find it when I went back..
  • Carol Anderson on Whip. Some record fair in Battersea. Couple of quid, or so..
  • Betty Lou and Bobby Adams " Doctor Truelove" (Tra-x). £1.50 or so off Berwick Street market..

There were lots of others. I didn't really know what was what in those days. I swapped the Dean Courtney for a copy of Betty Lloyd, "I'm Catching On"....Then someone broke into my flat and nicked my record box. Lost the faith (and the will to live) after that. Saw my stolen copy of Betty Lou and Bobby up for auction some years ago (it had damage to the label that I caused trying to pick the price sticker off). Lost the faith and the will to live all over again at that point...But hey! They're only records!

Social source share

Guest jinx74

Just got a copy of:

$1 Little Stanley - The PW (Vance) -- red vinyl

even though it is from the Bay Area i really didnt think id ever come across a copy

Social source share

yeah ive got both the purple issue and a white promo now! id never seen it on white promo so its a nice addition , the price just makes it that much more pleasing! :o) got the sales cd yesterday mate , some cracking stuff on there !!!

So that's two Big Maybelle white Demos I know of now.

What condition is yours in?

Social source share

Hyperions "Why you wanna treat me" $20, mint unplayed, in a marked Chatahoochee section in a well known US locale, must have just come into stock as no UK soulie would have missed that with their eyes shut

Cody Black "I'm slowly molding" uk5 in Manchester at a record fair, well worth the price of the train ticket up there!

Edited by pomonkey
Social source share

Guest j a c k o

Recently picked up Scheer Music - Falling back in love for £1.95. Great price for a great record.

Social source share

Guest son of stan

Oh yeah. Just remembered. I picked up a copy of Lee Moses "Time and Place" LP on Maple (together with Bullet, "The Hanged Man") out of a 3 for a pound box at a car boot in Chester a couple of years back.

Social source share

Not sure if my find is up there with the big boys but a few days back I found a nice copy of Fred Hughes 'Don't Let this Happen to us' on Australian MCA for all of 3 bux...was looking through the boxes at an outer Metropolitan Melbourne record shop and it just turned up. Very happy with this find...for well under the price of a cup of coffee!

Social source share

Guest sean daniels

In 1990 I bought Anne Sexten and the masters of soul-You've been gone too long for £5 off a mate. I was staggered to learn some years later of its value on this funny looking red label from Washington.

Social source share

cheers

all captured this month - not dirt cheap, but totally smashing the arse out of the book prices

Sandpipers - lonley too long - giant - just over 100 quid

jack montgomery - dearly beloved - 50 quid (I had never owned a copy of this oldie and was suprised to get it for 50 quid)

jimmy fraser - hopes and dreams and tombstones - just over 100 quid

Social source share

Christmas before last popped into the local Oxfam on the Cowley road ...

Gladys Knight - No one could love you more - mint -

I was outraged that some un-caring volunteer had put a 49p price sticker on the label !!!...:thumbsup:

Funny thing is I know they have Record Collectors Guide (for what that's worth) as other less sought after tunes are top book .....

Social source share

Herby Brown One More Broken Heart Blue Ash................totally mint many years ago now, but sat unloved & gathering dust at the back of a box & left me wondering if I'd been ripped off for the 10 or 20 pence (can't remember which) it had cost me .....managed to sell it at a profit 4/5 years agowhistling.gif

Social source share

My best finds are in the last 2 years anyway,

1. Pookie hudson - This get's to me - White and Gold 'Jamie - £8
  2. The Apollas - Mr Creator - Warner brothers Promo - £25
  3. Walter Jackson - Uphill struggle to the bottom - US 'Okeh' - £3.50
  4. Isley Brothers - That's the way love is - US Tamla Demo - £9
  5. Dion Jackson - Love makes the world go round - US 'Carla' first press - £3.50

Some nice bits this year, Ii think prices have droppd a lot in the last few years.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert