Guest marco

• Replies 79
  • Views 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Wrong.. It's all the same.

I agree, but tell that to the modern boys, they think they have created a seperate scene all of there own!

The Northern Soul scene has always played so called modern soul records.

I have noticed that new fans of modern seem to think the Northern scene has no right to play so called modern records. They are the ones who don't know the history!!!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

I agree, but tell that to the modern boys, they think they have created a seperate scene all of there own!

Think you'll find that's because a lot (not all) of folks on the Northern scene view folks on the Modern scene as outcasts hence all the uneducated comments like 'funky disco shite'.

The Northern Soul scene has always played so called modern soul records.

The Northern scene has always cherry picked records from ALL other music scenes that fit into the Northern mentality - ie, format, rarity etc. Not slagging the Northern scene for that as was brought up on it & still love it to bits but just stating facts.

I have noticed that new fans of modern seem to think the Northern scene has no right to play so called modern records. They are the ones who don't know the history!!!

That's so so wrong & I think that most if not all Modern fans would love to hear more newer music played at Northern nights but it's the Northern punters (again not all) that don't want it invading their comfort zone.

As for the history comment didn't most (yet again not all) Modern punters come from the Northern scene.

Anyway as for Beres Hammond. Must have something going for it as it's been a massive record on both scenes for a while now & you can't deny that even if you don't like it.

Not bad for a Reggae album track!!!!

Social source share

Guest marco

Wrong.. It's all the same. It's just Northern Soul fans like you have no idea about the evolution of your own music.

If you can be bothered, please elaborate... I think I'm missing the finer point of your argument...

I thought it was pretty much accepted that the modern scene of the 70s and 80s grew out of the northern scene, as some people started focusing more on 70s productions and even jazz funk (Colin Curtis), etc., and wanted to distinguish their musical mix from the more 60s oriented Northern nights/rooms?

That's not to say that certain 70s records weren't played in main northern rooms from the early 70s, just that people who only played 70s productions set themselves apart for obvious reasons. Or am I missing something?

Edited by marco
Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Sounds like the soul scene equivalent of the stuff Asda pipe over their tannoy while you do your weekly shop to me!

Does anyone else ever get the impression that, for a certain type of modern soul fan at least, a record has to be stripped of any rawness or intensity before they'll feel comfortable with it?

'Soulful' is not a word that springs to mind listening to this sort of thing; insipid, trite, lightweight, anodyne however...

Discuss ph34r.gif

Im surprised you hate it that much mate,especially with some of the bollocks that does get played out..........Ive always highly rated it as a soul record[and its definately not had any rawness or intensity stripped out of it either in my opinion],with a great message and feel..........Its funny how differently we all see these things Marco. I`ll admit,it may not sit too comfortably with some of the traditional Uptempo Northern sounds but as a straight up Soul record,i think its up there with the best of em.........In fact,i cant believe some of the shite ive just read in this thread..I was surprised with Tony Rounce`s and Jockos comments. Er,but not Pete Smithsno.gif

Typical Northern scene yes.gif ....... Best, Ivor

Social source share

If you can be bothered, please elaborate... I think I'm missing the finer point of your argument...

I thought it was pretty much accepted that the modern scene of the 70s and 80s grew out of the northern scene, as some people started focusing more on 70s productions and even jazz funk (Colin Curtis), etc., and wanted to distinguish their musical mix from the more 60s oriented Northern nights/rooms?

That's not to say that certain 70s records weren't played in main northern rooms from the early 70s, just that people who only played 70s productions set themselves apart for obvious reasons. Or am I missing something?

I can never understand why there had to be a difference. In the early 80's we had everything played in the same night, it was only the moaning of the so called Northern 60's fans that forced a split, a split in my opinion that was unnecessary. It's all Soul music and every record was a new release at one point. I'd go to Keele, Stafford and the 100 club and hear Curtis, Larry Houston, Daybreak all played in the one room, they were a breath of air amongst the 60's tracks but they still had the same beat. It didn't grow out it was forced out.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

I can never understand why there had to be a difference. In the early 80's we had everything played in the same night, it was only the moaning of the so called Northern 60's fans that forced a split, a split in my opinion that was unnecessary. It's all Soul music and every record was a new release at one point. I'd go to Keele, Stafford and the 100 club and hear Curtis, Larry Houston, Daybreak all played in the one room, they were a breath of air amongst the 60's tracks but they still had the same beat. It didn't grow out it was forced out.

Hi all , sorry to butt in here but I have to say that putting out this Berres Hammond track was a missed opertunity , an album that we sell well by Berres Hammond is "SOUL REGGAE " .There's a couple of decent soul tracks but one hell of a seventies/"modern" number called "Don't wait too long" I played this around 1981 at a Coalville dayer and it went down well. An original is hard to find as most were destroyed due to a huracane whilst in storage.Most copies are re-issue and crop up from time to time and we sell for around £25.00. I was talking to sam about this last night and He seems to remember it. Record collecting is a strange thing and is down to personel choice ,the west indies has on occasion produced some memerable numbers for the northern scene for instance most of us would have wiggled a minute or three away with Jackie Edwards at least once .Last night at Rolls Royce We sold a hell of a lot of west Indian 45's to th Modern collectors Sam even bought two copies of "incrowd" and Steve brown bought at least 5 numbers,So like it or not people are intrested .There are many collectors also buying the soulful reggae numbers not to play on the scene but to play at home so what's wrong with that?.I'd also like to point out to the guy who refered to reggae as aload of S..T.That You are entitled to an opinion and that's great but spare a moment and reflect on what this music means to a lot of people , jamaica has little or no welfare system and as such it's people live most of their live's in poverty and hunger is a life long spector.despite what most people think about the rasta religion it's religious ideas are based on old testament philosophy most tend not to drink or eat pork and ganja is very much a meditive herb used at tabanacle altars as means to comunicate with God.Most rastas eat strict organic food and are not drug crazed rapist and robbers but gentile and hard working people .Reggae is a way of rising from poverty and I like to think of it as a soul relative.Clement "Coxon" Dodd who is the father of reggae brought the R-N-b sound over to Jamaica in the late 1950's Jamaican artists soon tried to mimic the sound that became known as mento that became ska that became reggae ect, the diffferance between the two country's (USA / Jamaica) money and poverty although it's true that most black Americans at the time were about a generation away from slavery and also very poor at least they had access to half decent instruments and at best basic recording studios.Because of white capitalist exsploitation wanting to make money from as much black talent that they could in a way produced the paradox that is a legacy of amazing soul recordings.As thing's changed during the late sities and early seventies for the black Americans they could afford more luxuary items such as records the same could not be said for the Jamaicans.However Reggae still means so much to so many and is very impotant to the average Jamaican both in Ja or anywhere else they may be.It's worth a little bit more than being called S..T .Finally if anyone would like to proove me wrong go to Kingstone and shout Reggae is s..t You'll see then what passion for music means ,I hope that I havn't offended anyone with these words all the best Simon H.

Social source share

Hi all , sorry to butt in here but I have to say that putting out this Berres Hammond track was a missed opertunity , an album that we sell well by Berres Hammond is "SOUL REGGAE " .There's a couple of decent soul tracks but one hell of a seventies/"modern" number called "Don't wait too long" I played this around 1981 at a Coalville dayer and it went down well. An original is hard to find as most were destroyed due to a huracane whilst in storage.Most copies are re-issue and crop up from time to time and we sell for around £25.00. I was talking to sam about this last night and He seems to remember it. Record collecting is a strange thing and is down to personel choice ,the west indies has on occasion produced some memerable numbers for the northern scene for instance most of us would have wiggled a minute or three away with Jackie Edwards at least once .Last night at Rolls Royce We sold a hell of a lot of west Indian 45's to th Modern collectors Sam even bought two copies of "incrowd" and Steve brown bought at least 5 numbers,So like it or not people are intrested .There are many collectors also buying the soulful reggae numbers not to play on the scene but to play at home so what's wrong with that?.I'd also like to point out to the guy who refered to reggae as aload of S..T.That You are entitled to an opinion and that's great but spare a moment and reflect on what this music means to a lot of people , jamaica has little or no welfare system and as such it's people live most of their live's in poverty and hunger is a life long spector.despite what most people think about the rasta religion it's religious ideas are based on old testament philosophy most tend not to drink or eat pork and ganja is very much a meditive herb used at tabanacle altars as means to comunicate with God.Most rastas eat strict organic food and are not drug crazed rapist and robbers but gentile and hard working people .Reggae is a way of rising from poverty and I like to think of it as a soul relative.Clement "Coxon" Dodd who is the father of reggae brought the R-N-b sound over to Jamaica in the late 1950's Jamaican artists soon tried to mimic the sound that became known as mento that became ska that became reggae ect, the diffferance between the two country's (USA / Jamaica) money and poverty although it's true that most black Americans at the time were about a generation away from slavery and also very poor at least they had access to half decent instruments and at best basic recording studios.Because of white capitalist exsploitation wanting to make money from as much black talent that they could in a way produced the paradox that is a legacy of amazing soul recordings.As thing's changed during the late sities and early seventies for the black Americans they could afford more luxuary items such as records the same could not be said for the Jamaicans.However Reggae still means so much to so many and is very impotant to the average Jamaican both in Ja or anywhere else they may be.It's worth a little bit more than being called S..T .Finally if anyone would like to proove me wrong go to Kingstone and shout Reggae is s..t You'll see then what passion for music means ,I hope that I havn't offended anyone with these words all the best Simon H.

Passionate post mate.

thumbsup.gif

I have played "Don't Wait Too Long" out over many years.

Very nice uptempo 'Philly' style dancer!

Certainly would have more appeal to the traditional 'Northern' dancefloor than 'Do This World a Favour'.

Sean

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

BERES HAMMOND - DONT WAIT TOO LONG - WATER LILY LP - thumbsup.gif

Thanks for posting this up as a reference Toad...........Its a nice enough Soul tune but i honestly dont think its in the same league .......... DTWAF is head and shoulders a superior record...FACT ! :smile:

Social source share

Thanks for posting this up as a reference Toad...........Its a nice enough Soul tune but i honestly dont think its in the same league .......... DTWAF is head and shoulders a superior record...FACT ! smile.gif

This site really shows just how polarised views on a track can be. Not surprised about the comments from the usual suspects, but some comments from the more enlightened amongst us have left me wondering.... I don't get how a very soulful and classy track that's been around for donkey's years like Do The World A Favour can be lined up for a such a keyboard kicking....no.gif yeah it might be well past its play by date, and a little tired, but it's still a great tune.....you all should know better and hangs your heads in shame..... laugh.gif

....and if a 45 release puts it on more play lists in Northern rooms.... great, 'cos that's around 4 less minutes of the same old same old and 2nd rate tunes that usually get dished up.... thumbsup.gif

Edited by Wrongcrowd
Social source share

This site really shows just how polarised views on a track can be. Not surprised about the comments from the usual suspects, but some comments from the more enlightened amongst us have left me wondering.... I don't get how a very soulful and classy track that's been around for donkey's years like Do The World A Favour can be lined up for a such a keyboard kicking....no.gif yeah it might be well past its play by date, and a little tired, but it's still a great tune.....you all should know better and hangs your heads in shame..... laugh.gif

....and if a 45 release puts it on more play lists in Northern rooms.... great, 'cos that's around 4 less minutes of the same old same old and 2nd rate tunes that usually get dished up.... thumbsup.gif

Agreed Cliff. It just seems odd that it's in vogue again all of a sudden.smile.gif

Social source share

A good record is a good record no matter what it is. Soul is only a part of a bigger musical history. Soul music isn't an original genre but part of the Blues the same as Reggae is.

And Northern Soul isn't really a Soul genre it's a dance genre and many soulies forget that in their dictation of what is and what isn't Northern Soul.

Social source share

well said Cliff ....cheers ,Eddie

Social source share

Only the ones that have been into music for 10mins. Most of us have History. The trouble with this divide is both scenes play some crap records instead of just sticking to one scene playing the best of all of it.

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Agreed Cliff. It just seems odd that it's in vogue again all of a sudden.smile.gif

Well,you know what Dave ? Its not really any more in vogue than it has been for the last 20 odd years,the fact is,theres always been a market for this brilliant tune ever since it was first spun over here at the Norfolk Village by my good friend Terry Jones........And the one thing that always held it back somewhat was the fact of its relative unavailability. And even though it appeared on the Village Soul compilation on Expansion records, it always cried out to be a single in my opinion. Some freinds of mine are behind this legal reissue of the track and i think that contrary to some of the opinions on this thread there are a large number of people who love and want this track enough to buy it. Most people i know love it and so do ithumbsup.gif .........So, in answer to your observation Dave,the only reason this is getting talked about at the moment is because of its recent first time issue on 45.

And like Cliff,i can only despair of the negative comments of such a great tune. Shamesad.gif

Anyway,roll on Cleethorpes..........smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Social source share

Guest KEN-SOUL

Have already mentioned this in the topic 'worst of the worst'. I described it as music that makes you want to kill yourself. It's about as appealling as a night in spent watching Go Compare adverts.

I went ahead and killed myself, and in fact i am writing this from heaven. I really don't get this type of music, it really is quite soul-less.

Social source share

I dont really see what there is not to like about this recording.

I had never heard this before this disscusion, but it sounds to me like a very nice and pleasant Jamaican 70s Soul record.

The sort of thing I would be more than happy to hear on a CD any sunny afternoon this summer.

Its got some nice breaks - a great vocal - its a really a good, mellow, in-offesive and a well produced early 70s Jamaican Soul thing.

What is there not to like about it ?

It sounds dated because it is a 70s recording - in the same way a 60s recording sounds dated.

it dosen't sound modern to me,

but it sounds nice ,

Ill probably get the re-issue and stick it on my I-POD and take it to Corfu for two weeks.

In fact that is what I will definatly do.

M

Edited by mossy
Social source share

im so pleased he killed himself...quickly without any mess ?:laugh:

95 percent of records in my collection are from the 60s.............but that dosen't mean I can't dip my toe into everything else with an open mind !

If it flyes over my head thats ok, I think I still have the scope to relax myself and not make a big fuss !

If you get me ?

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

I went ahead and killed myself, and in fact i am writing this from heaven. I really don't get this type of music, it really is quite soul-less.

Fantastic:laugh: That`ll be one less argument then !

Just out of interest do they show non stop Go Compare adverts on the TV up in heaven as well......?

Now come on, was it really worth it just over a Beres Hammond record ?:no:

Lighten up peoplethumbsup.gif

Social source share

Fantastic:laugh: That`ll be one less argument then !

Just out of interest do they show non stop Go Compare adverts on the TV up in heaven as well......?

Now come on, was it really worth it just over a Beres Hammond record ?:no:

Lighten up peoplethumbsup.gif

Got to agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What defines Northern Soul it's a mixture of Soul, Funk, Popcorn, R&B, 60's, Ballads, Crossover, Sal Soul, Jazz, Motown & some dare I say Disco but what it boils down to is own personal taste.

Nuff Said...................................................................................................................................

Edited by Troid
Social source share

Just that it was being hyped so much by every dealer who had it in stock when in fact it's so lame it might as well be fresh air.

Come on Pete, dealers hyping it, this is no different than if you were a car dealer selling a new car, at the end of the day punters make their own mind up whether they like it enough to buy.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert