Clampdown On Piracy – Three Separate Prosecutions

Paul-s

• Replies 96
  • Views 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guys.....simmer down....it happened over 3 years ago!

Like a fair few on here, we foolishly traded, in my case, records with Robin Burnett, he as we found out later of Amnesia Records, Bridgend. South Wales.

He is now serving 9 months for a catalogue of copyright and trademark offences.

Various others implicated in the case were either fined, slapped on the wrist or were not pursued.

Unfortunately for me, the meet to trade records with Burnett proved very costly indeed, with a massive fine.

The article though is inaccurate, I got hit with 3 trademark offences that's it. No jury etc...wheover said that is deluded!

Take a look on EBay right now and see how many are infringing rights. I'm staring at a site right now called Soulon45 with more than 40 trademark related offences(IMO).

Obviously I'm unhappy about it, but that's the way it is. I did not give up 17,000 records- that is untrue.

I suspect after the Burnett conviction, Trading Standards have the bit between their teeth and will be visiting a few dealers very soon. Some are probably reading this right now!

It's not the bootlegging angle, it's trademark.

Be warned- hefty fines are not pleasurable as I can testify.

Stay well everybody.

Edited by The Golden 101
Social source share

Guys.....simmer down.

Here's the deal.

Like a fair few on here, we foolish traded in my case records with Robin Burnett, he as we found out later of Amnesia Records, Bridgend. South Wales.

Various others implicated in the case were either fined, slapped on the wrist or were not pursued.

Unfortunately for me, the meet to trade records with Burnett proved very costly indeed with a massive fine.

The article though is inaccurate, firstly I had no involvement with any of his manufacturing.

I got hit with 3 trademark offences!

Take a look on EBay right now and see how many are infringing rights. I'm staring at a site right now called Soulon45 with more than 40 trademark related offences(IMO).

Obviously I'm unhappy about it, but that's the way it is. I did not give up 17,000 records- that is untrue.

I suspect after the Burnett conviction, Trading Standards have the bit between their teeth and will be visiting a few dealers very soon. Some are probably reading this right now!

Stay well everybody.

Bottom Line is.......................... YOU ARE GUILTY.

Edited by Bridgey
Social source share

Well it does make Kev's ramblings about CD give a ways seem a bit hypocritical huh.gif

OH DEAR ME KEV :hatsoff2:

"Anyone dubbing CDs and giving them away at gigs is acting illegally unless they own the copyrights. This is actually the worst part of the scene today '1st 100 receive a free cd'"

"I just feel personally that these outfits doing Anninversary CDs and Free giveaways are causing major harm.

I know a few people who haven't bought music in years, citing the fact they can travel to various venues and get all the oldies and

top sounds via the giveaway!"

AMAZING HOW THE THINGS WE SAY ...CAN COME BACK AND BITE US IN THE A**E

P.s The sad thing is ,i kept out of that particular thread ,but when i read the 1st post by Kev ..i actually wanted to say ... "your wrong Kev" ,those goldmine 7"s have done more harm to the soul scene than anything else " not because they devalue the originals, but because they are the biggest offender in watering down the essence of the scene .......being proud to follow the standard that was set in the beginning ...the owning and playing only original vinyl at a venue!

Social source share

OH DEAR ME KEV ohmy.gif

"Anyone dubbing CDs and giving them away at gigs is acting illegally unless they own the copyrights. This is actually the worst part of the scene today '1st 100 receive a free cd'"

"I just feel personally that these outfits doing Anninversary CDs and Free giveaways are causing major harm.

I know a few people who haven't bought music in years, citing the fact they can travel to various venues and get all the oldies and

P.s The sad thing is ,i kept out of that particular thread ,but when i read the 1st post by Kev ..i actually wanted to say ... "your wrong Kev" ,those goldmine 7"s have done more harm to the soul scene than anything else " not because they devalue the originals, but because they are the biggest offender in watering down the essence of the scene .......being proud to follow the standard that was set in the beginning ...the owning and playing only original vinyl at a venue!

Nev...it certainly did come back with a big bite :lol:

I still believe that the Anniversary cd is a killer-no end are getting away with it.

I did not feel that way about them 3 years ago when this case first hit though. I now take the view that copying cd's, dvd's and distributing trademark offending 7" is bang out of order.

I doubt it will change anything, but I'm not part of it so let the Trading Standards start collar feeling...which they will. :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Nev...it certainly did come back with a big bite biggrin.gif

I still believe that the Anniversary cd is a killer-no end are getting away with it.

I did not feel that way about them 3 years ago when this case first hit though. I now take the view that copying cd's, dvd's and distributing trademark offending 7" is bang out of order.

I doubt it will change anything, but I'm not part of it so let the Trading Standards start collar feeling...which they will. :hatsoff2:

Kev....unlike some people who can't wait to have a pop at people like you ...i have no axe to grinde on a personal level .

And credit where credit is due ..your on here facing the music "so to speak" :lol:

Social source share

Guys.....simmer down.

Here's the deal...it happened over 3 years ago!

Like a fair few on here, we foolishly traded, in my case, records with Robin Burnett, he as we found out later of Amnesia Records, Bridgend. South Wales.

Unfortunately for me, the meet to trade records with Burnett proved very costly indeed, with a massive fine.

The article though is inaccurate, I got hit with 3 trademark offences that's it. No jury etc...wheover said that is deluded!

Stay well everybody.

Trade Mark Offences, for anyone like me, who didn't know what it ment.

https://www.fact-uk.org.uk/site/criminal_justice/tmact.htm

Social source share

,,,,im genuinely shocked and saddened with Robin being in prison...

im not condoning what hes done but JAIL!!! hes got a wife and young baby..he is a nice bloke who looks like got carried away with the trappings of the money that doing bootlegs attract i guess,...a shame non the less

bootlegging has been going on since time began on this scene ,, we've all bought them....played em! .

• Helpful 1
Social source share

If you are going to make comment stick to the facts and do not make statements that can be deemed libellous.

And try and be grown up about your remarks, no time for petty pointy scoring comments.

Kev is answering comments and giving his side, full marks to him, cheap sh*tty comments serve no purpose.

One comment unapproved so far!

Social source share

im not condoning what hes done but JAIL!!! hes got a wife and young baby..he is a nice bloke who looks like got carried away with the trappings of the money that doing bootlegs attract i guess,...a shame non the less

bootlegging has been going on since time began on this scene ,, we've all bought them....played em! .

Unfortunately, many still are!!!

Tony

Social source share

OH DEAR ME KEV :hatsoff2:

Excellent Nev !! Couldn't Have Put It Better We Need To Get Back To The Roots And Have Dj's That Play OVO On At Venues Instead Of These So Called Dj's With Boxes Of Cd's (purely for in car entertainment imho) And Bootlegs Its Killing The Scene. Too Many Venue's Playing anything From Downloads On PC's To The Class Acts With CD's.ohmy.gif:lol::thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Social source share

marvelous spin, still found guilty though wearnt you, which makes you a criminal, case closed me thinks

you can have no jury and guilty in many crown and civil court cases means doing a deal with the prosecution in return for other charges or other parties connected with a case being dropped criminal and civil

Edited by Naughty Boy
Social source share

fook!, peddlin' old news just like THE TIMES and PANORAMA......ON THE EVE OF THE KINGS HALL......

JUST EXACTLY WHERE IS THAT GONNA GET YOU?

answer: NOWHERE! it is so bloody offensive that people out there are still willing to stick the knife in where kev, tim and ian are concerned, as even the flimmsiest opportunity presents itself. as chalks said BEWARE you dont leave yourselves open to libel and.....IS IT REMOTELY POSSIBLE FOR SAID SAME FOLK TO FOOKIN WELL GROW UP??

Social source share

not hatred pete, just gets up my nose that he gets on here banging on about the henious crime of bootlegging / counterfeiting , then it turns out he's been prosecuted for it, indirectly i hasten to add,

heinous :yes: Might be wrong but think heinous the wrong word IMHO.

I suppose no one has ever bought a bootleg be it a record, item of clothing, perfume whatever :thumbsup:

Social source share

I have not posted for a few months here on Soul Source and I have been following this case with great interest and like many things in life there are complexities and mitigation that do not transfer to a forum such as this. I know that both Kev and Sam have been under immense pressure over the last year and I know that Kev has definitely not been "found guilty in a court of law by a jury of 12 good men", contrary to what ever snipe aimed at him.

I am a Northernsoul fan and I am honored to call Kev a friend. My friendship is not given because of any sycophantic reasons not is it given based on the fact that Kev Roberts had a hand in shaping the music that we all love, I call him a friend because he is a man I respect and a man I trust.

To those who bait and howl waiting for the blood of the wounded I say shame on you. And for those who wish to attempt leverage in promoting venues I would remember that people will choose.

I for one am off to Stoke tonight, I may buy one or two ash trays whilst there but at the end of the day I don't give a fig about who says this and who says that, I'm there for a giggle and if I can support someone who has supported Northernsoul longer than I can remember then even better.

Yours Simon Cuerden

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

F&cking hell he didn't kill anybody so why so much hatred?

You've got to be very careful with these type of situations , you can think it's all over once you walk out the court then bang it get's worse.I won't go too deeply into our situation but you can ask John Pool, Tim Brown or Andy Dyson about what me and my family have just been through with the system.The problem that you may have now is that if the authorities want to they can look into you and your family's whole life , bank account's ect.They will know your exact income for the last god knows how many years and that of the people living in your house.They will check what cars you've had , how many times you've been out of the country where you've been using bank and debit cards and they can cross referance every phone call and text you've ever had or sent.They will want to scrutanise every bit of cash that you have banked and want to know who you have paid cash to , and please pray to God if you have self certified a mortgage aplication and added a bit on because they will first go and try money laundering and will attempt to take everything from you to be sold as proceeds of crime.If that fails and if you have done something like a self certificaion and lied then you will be facing a fraud charge .These two situations are what we had to fight and my eldest son is still fighting (Leicester crown court next thursday) the problem is once convicted of a crime despite sentance or fine dished out in court it's not over , if you've been convicted then in the eyes of the law and society you are a criminal they have people working for them, , accountants and such like who will try to prove that you have made money from a crime and therefore could be open for a full investigation, and claim against you let's face it 17,000. 45's at a fiver each that's a £85,000. crime.That would probably be easily enough as they could prove value by coming on here I know of at least two coppers on here anyway it would be easy to track the night's that you have put on just by coming on here , they could even ask for reciepts from the dj's for payment , as in my exsperiance the next thing will be inland revenue and customs and excise and the bastards that tried it on with us were evil.You will have to prove were you bought everything in your house how much you paid for it and where you got the money from I wish no harm or wrong to anyone and I don't want to scare you but please be aware that it may still not be over our situation nearlly killed my wife and I would never help a copper ever .All the best Simon Hunt.

Social source share

You've got to be very careful with these type of situations , you can think it's all over once you walk out the court then bang it get's worse.I won't go too deeply into our situation but you can ask John Pool, Tim Brown or Andy Dyson about what me and my family have just been through with the system.The problem that you may have now is that if the authorities want to they can look into you and your family's whole life , bank account's ect.They will know your exact income for the last god knows how many years and that of the people living in your house.They will check what cars you've had , how many times you've been out of the country where you've been using bank and debit cards and they can cross referance every phone call and text you've ever had or sent.They will want to scrutanise every bit of cash that you have banked and want to know who you have paid cash to , and please pray to God if you have self certified a mortgage aplication and added a bit on because they will first go and try money laundering and will attempt to take everything from you to be sold as proceeds of crime.If that fails and if you have done something like a self certificaion and lied then you will be facing a fraud charge .These two situations are what we had to fight and my eldest son is still fighting (Leicester crown court next thursday) the problem is once convicted of a crime despite sentance or fine dished out in court it's not over , if you've been convicted then in the eyes of the law and society you are a criminal they have people working for them, , accountants and such like who will try to prove that you have made money from a crime and therefore could be open for a full investigation, and claim against you let's face it 17,000. 45's at a fiver each that's a £85,000. crime.That would probably be easily enough as they could prove value by coming on here I know of at least two coppers on here anyway it would be easy to track the night's that you have put on just by coming on here , they could even ask for reciepts from the dj's for payment , as in my exsperiance the next thing will be inland revenue and customs and excise and the bastards that tried it on with us were evil.You will have to prove were you bought everything in your house how much you paid for it and where you got the money from I wish no harm or wrong to anyone and I don't want to scare you but please be aware that it may still not be over our situation nearlly killed my wife and I would never help a copper ever .All the best Simon Hunt.

Great post mate

Social source share

Simon- Thanks for your candid concern but in our case there is no proceeds of crime action.

You are right to point out though that HMRC are actively looking at the black hole of Northern Soul.

I would expect the Record Sellers and Venue promoters will be under the spotlight and eventually called to answer.

Hope everything works out for you.

Social source share

I have not posted for a few months here on Soul Source and I have been following this case with great interest and like many things in life there are complexities and mitigation that do not transfer to a forum such as this. I know that both Kev and Sam have been under immense pressure over the last year and I know that Kev has definitely not been "found guilty in a court of law by a jury of 12 good men", contrary to what ever snipe aimed at him.

I am a Northernsoul fan and I am honored to call Kev a friend. My friendship is not given because of any sycophantic reasons not is it given based on the fact that Kev Roberts had a hand in shaping the music that we all love, I call him a friend because he is a man I respect and a man I trust.

To those who bait and howl waiting for the blood of the wounded I say shame on you. And for those who wish to attempt leverage in promoting venues I would remember that people will choose.

I for one am off to Stoke tonight, I may buy one or two ash trays whilst there but at the end of the day I don't give a fig about who says this and who says that, I'm there for a giggle and if I can support someone who has supported Northernsoul longer than I can remember then even better.

Yours Simon Cuerden

Simon ..there really is'nt a need for you to tell us all this...honestly if you and anyone else has mis-read this ,unless i'm totally wrong here...

Its just a case of people with long memories, picking up on a past thread ,where Kev put his own head on the block regarding "bootleg" cd's being given out at soul venues ,be it charity night's ,anniversary nights etc ..the point he made was how damging it is to the scene and how it is illegal .

Like i said ..no axe to grinde ..no personal malice toward Kev ..more a case of this revealtion kinda makes his statement smell of hypocrisy ..

Ok so some on here see it as a bit of fun..bear bating etc ..but that's human nature ,you come to expect it on here and apart from being called a criminal ,which technically he now is ...i don't think anyone said anything bad on a personal level ??

To be honest ...im only sorry it started now.....i was really enjoying your abstinance from the site :yes:

Only kidding fella ....welcome back Simon ....just don't turn into another Webby ...one's enough eh :thumbsup:

Social source share

robert-newton-as-long-john-silver.gif

Piracy is not just a crime it can be embarrassing especially when a family member gets involved. My uncle Jack, his real name is Brian, took Piracy to another level claiming to have served in the Royal Navy losing his leg whilst fighting buccaneers in the Caribbean, none of this is true and he has to my knowledge never set foot aboard a ship less the Wight Link Ferry counts? He would often disappear for days returning with those chocolate coins and tall tales of buried treasure. He also told me that he was getting his foreskin re- attached but that was another story.

50492_2219150400_7984_n.jpg

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

robert-newton-as-long-john-silver.gif

Piracy is not just a crime it can be embarrassing especially when a family member gets involved. My uncle Jack, his real name is Brian, took Piracy to another level claiming to have served in the Royal Navy losing his leg whilst fighting buccaneers in the Caribbean, none of this is true and he has to my knowledge never set foot aboard a ship less the Wight Link Ferry counts? He would often disappear for days returning with those chocolate coins and tall tales of buried treasure. He also told me that he was getting his foreskin re- attached but that was another story.

50492_2219150400_7984_n.jpg

Would love to hear that 'un :yes:

When ya get the time mate :thumbsup:

Social source share

Rob Burnett is no stranger to jail mark ,not 1st time

Social source share

Guest chrislokeh

Yours Simon Cuerden

Social source share

Guest JIM BARRY

WELL SAID AND ME AND ANN WILL BE THERE TOO :thumbsup:

and have a good time, according to a lot of folk stoke is the bees knees event to go to....that is what i meant when i said he puts into the scene.:yes:

Social source share

Deleted.

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

How i see it is that if anyone thinks about breaking the law then you will always be looking over your shoulder and its a risk that sometimes pays off but not many criminals never get caught, fooking hell breaking the law is something we have all done at some time knowingly or not but the biggest crime here to me is not an attempt to make some easy money but the knowing that they are making bootlegs of rare records of the rare soul scene they are apart of :thumbsup:

i have bought bootlegs but i didnt know any different at the time but wouldnt dream of ever buying another, its wrong full stop, and what about the dealers that sell bootlegs are they any better than what Kev did :yes: thats called fencing and thats against the law too

eyes open there is a real world out there and NO ONE is above the law and NO im not an angel far from it so not knocking anyone just saying it how i see it

btw, what the fook it got to do with me anyway, not a lot really but hey this is Soul Source :thumbup:

Social source share

For Kev and his family I'm glad it's over. The last three years must have been very stressful, I hope he can put it all behind him now and focus on his legitimate business activities.

I don't really know Robin Burnett, apart from a few conversations, and I don't know the case details but I assume he faced serious charges to get a custodial sentence.

Kev has paid a heavy price and he's here to face up to it. Many others, on the other hand, have got away with all kinds of copyright infringement over the years and some are still out there making money from it.

Let's keep things in perspective.

Paul

Social source share

Guest POTTERIESPECK

F&cking hell he didn't kill anybody so why so much hatred?

It;s a british thing Pete , kick them when they're down - when it's comes to the real thing like sticking together in union disputes it's a f*k you jack i'm allright. UP THE STUDENTS I SAY.

Social source share