2011-03-18: New Wilton Allnighter - 18 Years Anniversary

Boxy

I think this is definitely the case. We usually have the charity shop to open up and run on a Saturday morning (doing our bit to get in the good books of the guy upstairs) and usually have to leave about 5ish. Made sure we booked yesterday off though - well it was a special occasion.

As for the night itself - what a fantastic turn out! Took me back to the days when it used to be like that every month.

Many thanks to my DJ partner for the night, Ted Massey. It was an honour and I loved every minute of it.

Was a bit unsure whether to post this or not but it is constructive, has been asked for and is meant in the best possible way as I love the Wilton. There was too much 70s played for me last night and not enough oomph until the later hours when everyone had left. Then again, I am one person in a room full of people and would never expect a night to be tailored just for me. That said, it did appear that a bit of oomph was what the people wanted (judging by the dance floor reaction).

As for the question of whether to have any more or not? I truly hope it is not the end for this fantastic venue but I think things will have to change in order to make it work. The night needs consistency and the music a bit of life to it that's all. (Don't all be after lynching me for saying that).

Long live the Wilton!

not sure i agree with that joan (except perhaps Mr. Barnfathers 1st three tunes, refer to my original post!!)

on the whole i thought the mix was very balanced.

i'm not one for too many tunes from the 'fast side' either modern or not (being a mid-tempo kind of fellow) but those of the faster ilk really worked for me.

excellent mix in tempo and of the decades.

Edited by coops

not sure i agree with that joan (except perhaps Mr. Barnfathers 1st three tunes, refer to my original post!!)

on the whole i thought the mix was very balanced.

i'm not one for too many tunes from the 'fast side' either modern or not (being a mid-tempo kind of fellow) but those of the faster ilk really worked for me.

excellent mix in tempo and of the decades.

You may not agree but I think the dance floor said it all. No one dancing for the majority of the time until a 60s/uptempo tune was played and then the dance floor was rammed. Only to have another 70s tune played and the dance floor almost empty again. I love to dance and I was stood around for the majority of the time waiting for something to dance to, as were many others.

Don't get me wrong, there are awesome 70s tunes out there and some good ones did get played but there was definitely something lacking atmosphere wise and that was most definitely down to the music. Getting people up on the floor is what makes a night.

I never criticise a venue for its music policy - if it is not to my taste I just don't go again. I love the Wilton and have attended for a lot of years and I think a more uptempo/60s style is what the majority of people who go want to hear. If it was the other way round that would have been evident on the dance floor - that doesn't lie.

I don't want to put a dampener on things. Dave has asked for peoples thoughts and that is all I am giving, my thoughts.

You may not agree but I think the dance floor said it all. No one dancing for the majority of the time until a 60s/uptempo tune was played and then the dance floor was rammed. Only to have another 70s tune played and the dance floor almost empty again. I love to dance and I was stood around for the majority of the time waiting for something to dance to, as were many others.

Don't get me wrong, there are awesome 70s tunes out there and some good ones did get played but there was definitely something lacking atmosphere wise and that was most definitely down to the music. Getting people up on the floor is what makes a night.

I never criticise a venue for its music policy - if it is not to my taste I just don't go again. I love the Wilton and have attended for a lot of years and I think a more uptempo/60s style is what the majority of people who go want to hear. If it was the other way round that would have been evident on the dance floor - that doesn't lie.

I don't want to put a dampener on things. Dave has asked for peoples thoughts and that is all I am giving, my thoughts.

Joan

Up to just recently I would have disagreed with you but since visting other venues & seeing on occasions at the Wilton the floor struggling I think you are right,I'm not sure it's 70t's but the tempo that needs to be kept up whatever the era.As you say dancers seem to create that atmosphere we all crave & yes on occasions you can play to the bar but ultimately it's the dancefloor that rules.

Like youself Wilton is dear to my heart & I would love to see it continue so this hopefully part of a healthy discussion about what to do to help & not criticise...........I would still go to the Wilton if they had "The Snake" on a loop but others won't.

Cheers

Martyn

Edited by hullsoul

Your spellings gone t*ts up tolaugh.giflaugh.gif

Yeh Paul Great to see Ted my spelling not gut, but his tunes say it all. So many legends of the scene in one room. The nice people who made the effort to get to Wilton from all over country, says a lot for this venue and may it continue......... I will continue to support Mouse and Dave and the great memories

Guest Phil Armstrong

what an outranding night, well done to everyone involved, Arthur was awesome as usual, the only downside was lack of consistentcy on the dance floor.

First off let me say I really enjoyed Friday night.

It was nice to see The Wilton busy again, but the proof of the pudding will be when there's no (stinking) badges, no multiple birthdays and the threat of closure hanging over the venue has became a boy who cried wolf situation... (i know it's a genuine call to arms at the moment, but people soon get bored of hearing the same thing every other month - and i think it can be damaging)

I do feel for the promoters - they are between a rock and a hard place - quit on a high but lose a great nighter - or carry on and possibly watch hit slip back into sub 100 attendances and have to quit due to it losing them money.

I couldn't even begin to think which way to advise them.

Right then, Tin Hat time.

Personally I thought the music was better than it has been in recent months - although I was one of the 4 o'clock leavers - but can appreciate a lot of the 70s stuff can be a bit wishy washy - and some of the modern stuff played was bordering on 'shitty' disco (I'll not pick on any one DJ - but one track in particular played sounded like the stuff they put on ITV nightscreen when they are telling you it's time for bo-bos)..

Too much of this in one hour can either be the fault of the promoters (booking DJs who have a limited range of sounds - 70s, 70s and a few 70s for good measure) or the DJs themselves "I'm known for playing 'X' so I'm only going to take 'X' records with me..."

The Wilton was always known as a venue that had a wide variety of DJs, from hardcore collectors to DJs who you rarely heard DJ elsewhere - which meant a lot of fresh sounds on a niter by niter basis, but (and this is not a personal slight but purely an observation) since Dave Box became involved in the promotion of the venue, the policy seems to have changed with the same tried and tested DJs getting repeat spots, and others getting less and less (Saus for instance - although tbh I don't know whether this was self-imposed).

I understand the sad passing of Jerry may have also had some effect on the promotion teams morale / resolve - and understandably so - but I do know Jerry always wanted to bring back the some of the original Wilton spirit / ethos on the few occasions I discussed the niters with him.

Maybe DJs like Soul Sam, Mick H et al have been given spots to try and attract 'punters', but in my opinion this has probably had the opposite effect for many of the Wiltons old crowd - I doubt very much either of these two DJs have tailored there spots for the Wilton crowd, playing different spots to other venues, introducing their newies there, then if this is the case, why would anyone drag their sorry arse all the way up from London, Stoke, Wales etc (as many used to) to hear DJ's that they can hear at any major niter the following night, or at a push weekend?

The Wilton was for a six-seven year period my favourite niter, and socially is still up there, but these days I'm finding it easier to give it the swerve when in my heart i really want to support the place - I never used to check the line-up, because I knew it was going to be a good night, but these days i find myself checking it and then deciding whether to go or not on the strength of it.

As I said, Fridays Wilton was more like 10 years ago than it has been in a long time, but still not close enough to pull a lot of the old faces back I fear.

Joan

Up to just recently I would have disagreed with you but since visting other venues & seeing on occasions at the Wilton the floor struggling I think you are right,I'm not sure it's 70t's but the tempo that needs to be kept up whatever the era.As you say dancers seem to create that atmosphere we all crave & yes on occasions you can play to the bar but ultimately it's the dancefloor that rules.

You know what Mate, you're spot on.

I agreed in part with Joan but didn't feel it was a 60's Vs 70's thing, more a tempo thing.

I found that for key times of the night the tempo wasn't up there and that showed on both the dancefloor reaction but also the atmosphere in the room.

I don't think there was an issue with the lineup itself, just with the times they were on. I thought there was a long period of the night where things were just too one-paced (i'd say this spanned a couple of hours).

That said, i had a SUPERB time at the Wilton overall. Shamefully this was my first one!!! I don't live far and have promised myself for at least 2 years to get down there. So i will rightfully feel guilty for not attending before, and like i've missed out if it shuts.

Nice to meet some peeps for the first time and great to catch up with folk i'd not seen for a while.

DJ wise, special credit to Joan / Ted, and the two Karl's. They did it for me. I also thought John Brit played some cracking stuff as did Brian.

I for one hope the niter continues because it's reputation and supporters have told me so many good things, and i saw a lot of those on Friday. I really enjoyed about 70% of the music, which is a good percentage. I can't comment on Wilton's of the past, but enjoyed Friday and feel sure i'd enjoy any that may come in the future.

Azza

I agreed in part with Joan but didn't feel it was a 60's Vs 70's thing, more a tempo thing.

I found that for key times of the night the tempo wasn't up there and that showed on both the dancefloor reaction but also the atmosphere in the room.

Glad to see I am not the only person to think so.

I agree that it is more of a tempo thing at the Wilton. It just happened that the culprits on Friday night seemed to be mainly 70s - as the 60s that was played were in the main uptempo. That's how it was for me anyway.

There is no malice in what I am saying. If anything I am being selfish as I would dearly love to see the place back to how it used to be. The Wilton holds great memories for me and I would like more!

Right where to begin? Well let's say how good it was to see a full house for once with possibly a bit put by for the next return to the usual suspects, I truly hope I'm wrong, I honestly do but I've got a feeling it'll be back to square one sooner rather than later, unless you give badges & free sandwiches away every time. Gail, Big Paul, Simon, Wendy & I had a great night & always do & I'm sure we always will till Boxy & Mouse bring the final curtain down.:lol:

As for the rest I agree with Coops, there seemed to be a balanced amount musical variation played & considering I danced for the first time in 6 months someone must have been doing something right, always there's all this bleating about, "To much 70's played", "It's Disco", "It's getting to Funky", one of the reasons Gail & I stopped going originally was because of the fractionalisation of the scene & it not being one room with across the board music & when we returned to Drax (Boo,hiss,cd's) it was a one room across the board, and we loved it, since then everywhere has got a Rare/Underplayed Room, Modern Room, R&B Room. We're upto the back teeth with it & are seriously thinking of doing Oldies Nights only, yes I'm bloody serious because some of "Names" who are on I could write down 80% plus of their set before they hit the decks & it's getting a little to "Ground Hog Day", also most of this 60's/Uptempo/Gritty Northern people keep raving about is a toe dipping if not a full belly flop into the R&B, IMVHO most of it dross & detritus,only good enough for the Mississippi Delta, the bottom of it, had you dared play any of it back in the day you'd have been run out of Town at least & yes I know there are exceptions (There are to every rule) & yes I know it all stems from R&B, well Blues anyway but I'd still sooner liten to Gary Lewis, Keith or the Cherry People, don't think I'm just siding with the Devils side Mick H, Soul Sam etc because I've heard them play one or to that are like finger nails sliding down a blackboard, friday night being no exception, so turn a deaf ear to what you don't like & open up the ear flaps to what you do like & the world will be a much calmer & nicer place.

BTW whilst I'm in rant mode why do a small minority who think they are the business, the centre of the Soul Universe, very Avant Garde & the "Face's", when in fact they are average, not well liked particularly & legends in their own minds & more Jedward than anything else, think it's ok to take the p*ss out of the way people dance, not just me or Big Paul but most people, it's just a tad rude & having watched them perform as if they have one kids wheely shoe on or else have one foot nail to the floor, well people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.:huh::lol:

Rant over, now I thoroughly enjoyed Bri Goucher & his mate (Was it Jack Charlton's lad?):lol:, Chalky seems to get better each time I hear him play but don't tell him it'll go to his head :lol:, thought the two Carloads were very good & James & Bobby "I wanna testify" fabulous to hear out & Thanks Arthur for playing Bobby Rich "There's a girl somewhere", what a fabulous tune, first time I've heard Colin "Cravat" Law play out & he played some nice stuff, I just wish he'd refrain from reminding us "This is Northern Soul", cos I know that's why I'm there. The other guys never really put a foot wrong & I didn't hear to many tunes that made me head for the exit, I must say that whoever said the slow version of Natural 4 - "I thought you were mine"was the better version was totally & utterly wrong, the faster version is far superior & a better dancer to boot, wouldn't it be aweful if we actually agreed with each other on this scene, Thank You & Goodnight.:(

Take care, be safe & remember,"Well it's alright, riding around in the breeze,Well it's alright,if you live the life you please,Well it's alright, doing the best you can,Well it's alright,as long as you lend a hand",

Spot.:lol:

Edited by spot
  • Helpful 1

BTW whilst I'm in rant mode why do a small minority who think they are the business, the centre of the Soul Universe, very Avant Garde & the "Face's", when in fact they are average, not well liked particularly & legends in their own minds & more Jedward than anything else, think it's ok to take the p*ss out of the way people dance, not just me or Big Paul but most people, it's just a tad rude & having watched them perform as if they have one kids wheely shoe on or else have one foot nail to the floor, well people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.:huh::(

you talking about me Spot... I'll wear both heeleys next time :lol:

I had a fabulous night on Friday from arriving at 9.30pm to leaving at 6.00am. A great mix of tunes from all the d.j's, some had me dancing, others not, but that's the way it goes for me at any nighter and it's not taking anything away from the brilliant & atmospheric night that I had :(

A Great turn out of people from all over the UK. Especially nice to see Philly (& meet Ph1lly ),Mick Howard, Eddie,Tabs, Tee, Julia, Tony Smith, The Empty Bottles team ........ gosh the list is endless so I'm stopping now before I get in to trouble for going on :lol:

Well done to the Wilton Crew for pulling off a simply marvellous anniversary nighter that satisfied my needs :huh:

Lots of love

Ali x

nice to see a full carpark on arival and loads of friendly faces, some great tunes played early on .the crack was non stop as hoards of people came in through the doors it has been mentioned that the dance floor was up and down and it was, i personally like a bit of umph in a niter tune and some tunes didnt have the danceabillity needed inmo, but we had a great time although leaving at 4 30 as gaz was on baby sitting duty on sat, left after chalkys spot,so missed joan and teds spot and the two karls damm, dave and mouse pulled out all the stops for this fantastic night and i would like to thank them for the pleasure this niter has given me and the lads over the last 18 years .iknow myself its not at all easy trying to keep every one happy,,col

Edited by colsoul

I thoroughly enjoyed my trip to The Wilton after a very long absence, also my first go at being a record dealer! I have to agree though - My idea of leaving an 'Honesty box' next to my records was a bit 'Out there' even for a 'Loony Tune' like me! :O)

Lots of familiar faces from the 'Old days' (Meaning the 90's) were there. I knew most - If not to talk to, by sight. That's what it was like in that era, as most venues attracted the same faces week in, week out (I really liked that)

Although I loved the Midtempo tunes and danced to most, on reflection, I agree, it would have been better to have more company on the dance floor. But before I read the other posts, I thought that was how the Wilton is now (Kinda like a collectors night) I was not at all disappointed. We wouldn't want all nights to be the same would we?

I guess times have changed, when The Wilton started, also when Winsford was at it's height, the record that epitomises those times for me is 'Teddy Randazo - You Don't Need a Heart'. Now the order of the day for all-nighters is up-tempo. Maybe it's because there are a lot of people around now who missed this particular era, who's tastes are influenced by their own. I hope mid-tempo is not completely left out like it was in the 70's as that would be a real shame (I don't think that's anyone's intention anyway)

As long as when we all tell others how wrong their tastes are, it's done respectfully, it's part of the fun. I hate it when it's done aggressively as that's only one person's opinion (Most likely completely wrong, if it's not the same as mine!)

My thoughts on the future of The Wilton - I'm one that used to go regularly, your 'Last Call' encouraged me to come to this one. At first I thought it maybe a good idea for you to put on a hugely advertised 'Final Night' and go out with a bang. Then I thought, why go the whole hog and suddenly stop? We're all getting older (Which influences how often some of us go out now) But, gradually not suddenly, so things gradually need to be changed to suit. It's quite sad if you analyse it (Especially to the depths of despair that I have in the past) I suggest putting it on just two times a year for now and see how it goes. Maybe the step after that would be a 3 or 4'oclock finish - Who knows?...

I'm glad I made the effort to pay my respects to such an important venue, thanks for the lift Brian and for playing Flint Emeralds "Just Like A Baby" :thumbsup:

All the best,

Len.

P.s - Jo Brock, I didn't for one moment think you would believe I was a Barrister, but your confused face was a picture! You so didn't believe me, yet didn't want to offend me by questioning it - All them thoughts processed in about 5 seconds flat, so no wonder the confused look!

Pps - I didn't need to put the 'Burning Cross of Self Loathing' up in the garden, but thanks for checking Nic x

"I am playing the right records, but not necessarily in the right order"

Edited by LEN

Just like to say it was great to see a great turnout for the anniversary night. Great credit to Boxy & Mouse for all there hard work.What a great idea for the double decking & all the dj's picked complemented each other.

Can't believe people moaning about the music policy (the biggest downside to our scene inmo)10 hours of music you can't play the same tempo/style all night as the dancfloor will always have ups & downs with people talking going outside for a fag etc.

Think the vast silent majority like to hear a bit of everything in a 1 roomed event & when you see what dj is on you have a pretty good idea what style of music they are going to play as that is what they are booked for!

I know the Wilton tends to play more uptempo than any other later on as do most allnighters & getting the balance right is nigh on impossible.

Have to admit that i am one of the people that only manage to stay till 4am but think most people regarless of what tempo the music is leave then for work & family things to do so don't want to loose the whole next day due to travelling home & sleeping.

Hope there is a next Wilton but poeple moaning about not enough of this & that in 10 hours of music will not get anybody new to come to the Wilton or anywhere.

Anyway i had a good time thanks to everybody involved with the Wilton

Can't believe people moaning about the music policy (the biggest downside to our scene inmo)10 hours of music you can't play the same tempo/style all night as the dancfloor will always have ups & downs with people talking going outside for a fag etc.

I think you will find I wasn't moaning - just offering my thoughts as was asked. Not to self - do not do it again.

Perhaps the term 70s was not the right one. I love good 70s, the ones that were played just needed a bit more life to them that's all. If the floor had been full then I would be the first to say it was job done - but it wasn't unfortunately. Like it or not a busy dance floor does make a difference.

Every night is subjective and you are never going to have the perfect night - I know that!

It certainly was good to see the place packed to the rafters again and I had a great night regardless as I always do.

Hope there is a next Wilton but poeple moaning about not enough of this & that in 10 hours of music will not get anybody new

I wasn't at the Wilton this time so cant really comment but as a regular traveller on the Soul night/All-nighter scene I'll post my thoughts.

The good thing about recovering from an operation is it gives me time (sad i know) to read through lookbacks, playlists and all things soul-source. Just on the flipside to the comment above and this applies to all niters, and not just the Wilton. If people didn't voice concerns then that is surley more detremental to the club in the long run.

As Mr Bird has said "it's all about the dancefloor" :yes:

Callum

Edited by callum_64

All good promoters appreciate any feed back, positive and especially negative as long as it's constructive and not just a 'Blinkered' view (Which does happen sometimes)

Surely it's better for them to be aware of how people feel so they can respond, rather than people not saying anything and just stopping going.

Don't forget, I don't think there's anyone who didn't enjoy Friday night - I recon you may need a few more 'Well dones' on here - It is 18 years after all! :yes:

All the best,

Len.

"I am playing the right records, but not necessarily in the right order!!!"

I think you will find I wasn't moaning - just offering my thoughts as was asked. Not to self - do not do it again.

Perhaps the term 70s was not the right one. I love good 70s, the ones that were played just needed a bit more life to them that's all. If the floor had been full then I would be the first to say it was job done - but it wasn't unfortunately. Like it or not a busy dance floor does make a difference.

Every night is subjective and you are never going to have the perfect night - I know that!

It certainly was good to see the place packed to the rafters again and I had a great night regardless as I always do.

Hi Joan was not intended to be a dig at you just a general point.

Daryl

Having read back on the constructive and objective views I didn't read one which was moaning about the music policy. I also didn't read anything which said too much mid tempo played across the whole 10hrs.

Most of those particular posts seem to say the same thing; great music all night but just seemed to be a lot of the same thing lumped together for sustained periods of time which, in their opinion, affected the dancefloor and atmosphere.

The same could be said about the uptempo stuff as the mid tempo. A sustained period of that too.

Don't think it was the music itself, more the order to which it was projected to the punters.

Don't think there was anyone in there who didn't enjoy themselves. A massive success on the night, and like Len said, a MASSIVE achievement for 18yrs service!!!

Azza

Edited by LilJimmyCrank
Guest BigPaul

Right where to begin? Well let's say how good it was to see a full house for once with possibly a bit put by for the next return to the usual suspects, I truly hope I'm wrong, I honestly do but I've got a feeling it'll be back to square one sooner rather than later, unless you give badges & free sandwiches away every time. Gail, Big Paul, Simon, Wendy & I had a great night & always do & I'm sure we always will till Boxy & Mouse bring the final curtain down.:D

As for the rest I agree with Coops, there seemed to be a balanced amount musical variation played & considering I danced for the first time in 6 months someone must have been doing something right, always there's all this bleating about, "To much 70's played", "It's Disco", "It's getting to Funky", one of the reasons Gail & I stopped going originally was because of the fractionalisation of the scene & it not being one room with across the board music & when we returned to Drax (Boo,hiss,cd's) it was a one room across the board, and we loved it, since then everywhere has got a Rare/Underplayed Room, Modern Room, R&B Room. We're upto the back teeth with it & are seriously thinking of doing Oldies Nights only, yes I'm bloody serious because some of "Names" who are on I could write down 80% plus of their set before they hit the decks & it's getting a little to "Ground Hog Day", also most of this 60's/Uptempo/Gritty Northern people keep raving about is a toe dipping if not a full belly flop into the R&B, IMVHO most of it dross & detritus,only good enough for the Mississippi Delta, the bottom of it, had you dared play any of it back in the day you'd have been run out of Town at least & yes I know there are exceptions (There are to every rule) & yes I know it all stems from R&B, well Blues anyway but I'd still sooner liten to Gary Lewis, Keith or the Cherry People, don't think I'm just siding with the Devils side Mick H, Soul Sam etc because I've heard them play one or to that are like finger nails sliding down a blackboard, friday night being no exception, so turn a deaf ear to what you don't like & open up the ear flaps to what you do like & the world will be a much calmer & nicer place.

BTW whilst I'm in rant mode why do a small minority who think they are the business, the centre of the Soul Universe, very Avant Garde & the "Face's", when in fact they are average, not well liked particularly & legends in their own minds & more Jedward than anything else, think it's ok to take the p*ss out of the way people dance, not just me or Big Paul but most people, it's just a tad rude & having watched them perform as if they have one kids wheely shoe on or else have one foot nail to the floor, well people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.:yes::thumbsup:

Rant over, now I thoroughly enjoyed Bri Goucher & his mate (Was it Jack Charlton's lad?):thumbsup:, Chalky seems to get better each time I hear him play but don't tell him it'll go to his head :thumbsup:, thought the two Carloads were very good & James & Bobby "I wanna testify" fabulous to hear out & Thanks Arthur for playing Bobby Rich "There's a girl somewhere", what a fabulous tune, first time I've heard Colin "Cravat" Law play out & he played some nice stuff, I just wish he'd refrain from reminding us "This is Northern Soul", cos I know that's why I'm there. The other guys never really put a foot wrong & I didn't hear to many tunes that made me head for the exit, I must say that whoever said the slow version of Natural 4 - "I thought you were mine"was the better version was totally & utterly wrong, the faster version is far superior & a better dancer to boot, wouldn't it be aweful if we actually agreed with each other on this scene, Thank You & Goodnight.:D

Take care, be safe & remember,"Well it's alright, riding around in the breeze,Well it's alright,if you live the life you please,Well it's alright, doing the best you can,Well it's alright,as long as you lend a hand",

Spot.:thumbsup:

And heres me thinking i wasnt to bad Friday nightlaugh.gif

Don't think there was anyone in there who didn't enjoy themselves. A massive success on the night, and like Len said, a MASSIVE achievement for 18yrs service!!!

Azza

Have to agree with you Azza, a cracking night, I loved it. Well done to Mouse & Dave for putting on such a fantastic Nighter. I hope there are many more to come.

Don

Edited by chalky
quote tags

All good promoters appreciate any feed back, positive and especially negative as long as it's constructive and not just a 'Blinkered' view (Which does happen sometimes)

Surely it's better for them to be aware of how people feel so they can respond, rather than people not saying anything and just stopping going.

Don't forget, I don't think there's anyone who didn't enjoy Friday night - I recon you may need a few more 'Well dones' on here - It is 18 years after all! :yes:

All the best,

Len.

"I am playing the right records, but not necessarily in the right order!!!"

I agree Len and others shouldn't take offence and feel they have to go on the defence of any venue. Balanced constructive views are what are needed for any look back.

I thought the night was how it should be at the Wilton, something for everyone. IMO there wasn't too much of any particular genre. I don't really care what year the record is from as long as they are dancers as at the end of the day that is what it is all about. I can fully understand that most want to hear 60's as the night progresses and I've said as much to both Mouse and Dave in the past.

Although this was a well attended night I can't help thinking that the next one will be like it was at the one previous to last Friday, poorly attended. Many reasons but mainly because of work and family commitments mean Friday night all-nighters are getting near on impossible to sustain. Probably why you get the exodus around 4/4.30am. I for one at that time have been up 24 hours or so by that time because of the time I start work. Friday night all-nighters used to be a lot better as you had all weekend to get over it.

If I was the promoter I would be sorely tempted to make the next one a final hurrah and call it a day simply because as much as people say they will come and support the support won't be there.

Maybe look at a 4am finish? I was against this at first but it is pointless paying good money on venue hire and DJ's to play to a handful of people. I would hate for the Wilton to finish, love the place, it is the best venue in the country IMO but if the support isn't or won't be there I wouldn't expect Mouse or Dave to keep using their own money to keep it going.

Guest ruppy

Well Joe ,there must have been a phanton Mick H behind the decks on Friday,because my box of tunes was left at home

Not been behind the Wilton decks for two years ,i was just like you a punter on the night,and had great night

Man of the night was Arthur Fenn a fine set of good 60,s ,just brill,

Wanted to stay for My mate Karl & Joan,s spot and Ted.but due to me at Bidds the next night had to depart at 3am

As for Sam a master at any venue he plays,and sure glad we have him on board at Lifeline,and packs the floor everytime

Maybe a visit to see us,might open your eyes,even though there is no R & B playedyes.gif

Till next time

B Goodwink.gif

Mick H

Well Joe ,there must have been a phanton Mick H behind the decks on Friday,because my box of tunes was left at home

Not been behind the Wilton decks for two years ,i was just like you a punter on the night,and had great night

Man of the night was Arthur Fenn a fine set of good 60,s ,just brill,

Wanted to stay for My mate Karl & Joan,s spot and Ted.but due to me at Bidds the next night had to depart at 3am

As for Sam a master at any venue he plays,and sure glad we have him on board at Lifeline,and packs the floor everytime

Maybe a visit to see us,might open your eyes,even though there is no R & B playedyes.gif

Till next time

B Goodwink.gif

Mick H

Mick,

I named you as an example of a DJ who plays many venues, not as who was on that particular night - I could quite easily have named Karl Heard (and with hindsight I probably should have).

As for Sam, I've heard him play many a time and I detect no difference between what he plays at the Wilton to Lifeline (or anywhere else for that matter )- which is exactly my point - he ploughs his own furrow, plays what he wants (more power to him - that's how it should be) but i still don't think his Wilton set is different enough from what he plays elsewhere weekend in, weekend out - which gives little incentive for someone to make the effort to go to the Wilton on a Friday night when they can catch him elsewhere on the Saturday. My point was about keeping the Witlon that little bit different - not making it into niter XYZ.

Plenty of R&B played at Lifeline over the numerous times I've been (although some folks do like to label it uptempo gritty 60s).

And to assume that I only like/play/support R&B makes an ASS of U and ME both (far from it if the truth be known) - what I don't like is wishy washy - tunes lacking in oomph... be they 60s, 70s or even released last week.

There may be some truth in the rumour that I danced for nearly a solid hour in Redemption on Friday night (Colin Curtis) but I can't confirm it for reputations sake. :huh:

Troop;

All this makes interesting reading for me, as someone who can take there soul from any era, all tempo's and styles, I must say that I never heard a bad tune all night, every tune played was a dancer, personally I find it refreshing to hear different tempo's in one room.

Very impressed with Saus, Chalky & Mr Dyson but all the jocks played something of interest to me. I even managed to buy a couple of tunes, aint life great sometimes!

Lenny thanks for your company mate. Dave/Mouse/Val thanks for a quite superb night of my favourite music. Im sure you will make the right decision as to its survival or not.

Gouch

WELL ABOUT THE WILTON,

This was my first visit to the Wilton for some 18 years!!!!. I went to one of the first ones when they started up and felt i had to go as this one could have been the last.

The night to be honest was all i expected it to be. Great people, a fantastic venue and some excellent tunage all night long. Arriving around midnight the place was absolutley buzzing with all the dj's rising to the challenge of making this a night to remember. It was great to see many familiar faces past and present and much time was spent reminicsing about the good times had over the years. I am not really an all nighter person but thouroughly enjoyed the night leaving just before 6am.

Mouse,Dave and of late Jerry must be complimented on keeping this venue going and hopefully it will continue as it is a great venue to listen and dance to soul music. Having read all the posts on this thread it does seem there is divided opinion on the music offer and suggestions on the format of the night. It would be quite difficult for the night to musically flow for everyone as there was a vast array of dj's with musically different tastes in what they play. Therefore the music, tempo wise, will be up and down. Also it will be variable between the decades so something for everyone.

The fact that many people in attendance left between around 3am to 4-30am must indicate to the promotors that they may have to consider trying a mini nighter for fridays if they can not move to a saturday. I find it difficult to justify keeping the night going for some 80 or so people left in the room, always better to finish on a high IMHO.

I will make the effort to visit the Wilton again and hope that the music is just as wide and varied as the anniversary was. I am not a great fan of the r&b orientated uptempo gritty sound that seems to have replaced the old northern soul sound but can still appreciate the dance beat element of it. I am more into the 70s crossover element of the soul sound these days but must agree with some earlier posts that some of the stuff played last friday could have been replaced with something a little more uptempo.

That is the nature of the beast that is soul music. Many different opinions and tastes gathered under one roof at an allnighter. Different strokes for different folks. The only thing that really matters in the grand scheme of things is that the venues keep open, the music still flows and good people who genuinely love the music attend and enjoy the night.

I hope the Wilton survives its present trials and tribulations and comes out strong in the end. Best wishes and well done to Mouse and Dave Box.

regards ROY

• Helpful 1
Guest ruppy

Point taken Joe

,however i thought Colin,Dave,Arthur & Sam played great sets ,for what Wilton is based on new and old tunes alike

I did not hear a bad record on Friday ,but had to leave at 3am,due to doing Bidds the next night

but Joe if you are Looking for something different than the norm xyz ,maybe Soul or nothing room at Radcliffe this Sat

No pressure on the DJs having to play to the floor,if they want to dance to known tune,s they can go next door

Thats the good thing with two room Allnighter Venues ,one room for Dancers the other for not the xyz,s

but as you know the Wilton & Lifeline have only the one room,so Dancers come first

,i for one as a punter will be in the soul or nothing room there this Sat .listening to one of the best young djs in Europe( Craig funky plumber) and all the other jocks, a night not to be missed

see ya there Joe

Mick

Edited by ruppy

Well it was my first time at the Wilton and I really enjoyed myself, fantastic uptempo 60s sounds played is what I heard in the main in fact about the only song I heard which I hate with a passion is "I'm So Happy" Prince Phillip Mitchell :thumbsup:

It was also lovely seeing good friends who I don't see very often.:thumbsup: Thanks to John and Sandra Brown for the lift :lol:

Suz

x

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Mouse

HI THERE YES IT'S ME MOUSE, I THOUGHT I WOULD REPLY NOW

THANKS TO YOU ALL FOR 18 YEARS OF SOUL MUSIC AT THE WILTON AND THAT'S ALL IT HAS EVER BEEN ABOUT . TO ALL THAT CAME BEFORE AND THE MANY THAT HAVE COME AFTER, IF YOU WANT TO SPEAK TO ME ABOUT THE WILTON NOT TO START HAVING A GO AT THE MUSIC IT IS THE DJ THAT PLAYS THE MUSIC . WE DONT TELL THEM WHAT TO PLAY IT IS THEIR JOB . BUT MAY BE IN WHAT ORDER THE DJ'S RUN AND WHO DJs THAT IS MY JOB. SO l SAY TO YOU ALL AGAIN SPEAK TO ME AND WE CAN WORK TOGETHER TO KEEP WHAT THE WILTON HAS ALWAYS BEEN WHICH IS THE PEOPLE .

THANKS ALOT EVERYONE

MOUSE

Edited by Mouse