Mike

• Replies 28
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I should add that there are also other Motown projects in Ken'ts immediate future - all by artists you'll be familiar with, and all containing several unissued tracks....

...I'd tell you more, but then I'd have to kill you all!:D

Social source share

Hmm, not too sure about this and would have to give it a listen before buying, I feel that the period given may result in the groups novelty era that Gordy (wrongly) felt they were only worth, perhaps there are some real gems on it hence him not releasing it, hope I'm proved wrong of course as any Motown tracks from the vaults are more than welcome for me.

Lenny

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Well, it won't be to everyone's tastes, Len, and possibly for some of the reasons that you mention - it's a 'dance' CD after all and several of the songs and their lyrics reflect that.

But any CD containing two dozen unissued Motown recordings from '63 and '64 has got to be worth any serious collector's time and consideration, and really ought not to be dismissed out of hand (however cautiously) without at least being heard - as you say...

Ant there are some nice slower cuts in the second half of the CD that are more song, rather than dance, oriented, and that should especially please anyone who enjoys the harmonies of early 60s soul groups.

I know I have a vested interest in it, but I like it a lot....

Social source share

pray tell sir adey, are we in for a glut of motown via your good self that universal were NOT considering releasing theirselves then?...sounds like a strange kettle of fish to me....not that im complaining about kent doing it....perhaps they think marketing through your outlet is a better proposition for sales, bearing in mind the influence you wield!.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

pray tell sir adey, are we in for a glut of motown via your good self that universal were NOT considering releasing theirselves then?...sounds like a strange kettle of fish to me....not that im complaining about kent doing it....perhaps they think marketing through your outlet is a better proposition for sales, bearing in mind the influence you wield!.

...Scroll up, read post two, and then book yourself in at Specsavers!:yes:

The currently-available Satintones and the soon-come Contours will shortly be joined by the Marv Johnson project, and some others that I am not at liberty to discuss just now. All being well, there will be still more to join those we have already agreed with Universal, and scheduled for release in 2011.

So far all of the projects in the piepeline are the work of Motown expert Keith Hughes, my Ace colleague and myself and it's not so much a 'glut' as more a well thought out schedule of releases...

Social source share

appologies tony, im waiting for my 2 year check-up!:hatsoff2: , have universal given you any idea what THEY may have in the pipeline in the near future....i wouldnt imagine for one minute every avenue of exploration has been exhausted as both they and hipo still keep turning things up.....its been a while since we had an anthology and ive wondered for some time if we will ever see a complete gladis knight & the pips. anyway, good luck with what youre doing and i'll most certainly buy the contours, even if its just for the jerry-o backing track.:hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

appologies tony, im waiting for my 2 year check-up!:thumbsup: , have universal given you any idea what THEY may have in the pipeline in the near future....i wouldnt imagine for one minute every avenue of exploration has been exhausted as both they and hipo still keep turning things up.....its been a while since we had an anthology and ive wondered for some time if we will ever see a complete gladis knight & the pips. anyway, good luck with what youre doing and i'll most certainly buy the contours, even if its just for the jerry-o backing track.:hatsoff2:

Basically, the way it works for us is that we ask Universal, and they either say yes or no!:thumbsup: I'm sure that they must still have some plans of their own, as we have been declined a couple of projects that we've asked for - the Spinners, for example - so I would guess that they feel that some things should still be Universal-originated releases.

We're trying to keep our requests for projects primarily to 'Golden Age' Motown (c. 1963 -1969) as other equally reputable reissue labels like Reel Music and David Nathan's new label (via Cherry Red) are digging into the 70s on a fairly regular basis now and we don't want to overlap unnecessarily with the fine work they're doing..

Of course, Universal over here did put out all of Glad and the lads' original Soul albums as 2-On-1's a few years ago - with, if memory serves, bonus tracks. From what I hear, there's not much else in the can - which would figure, as Motown actually released three (or was it four) GN albums of unissued material in the 70s, to compete with the group's Buddah albums.

Next up, though is Marv Johnson which features Marv's complete Motown recordings, including some previously unissued sides. My colleague Mick Patrick also has a very nice Patrice Holloway compilation coming which will mix Motown and Capitol sides primarily.

If you want to know what's up after that you'll need to 'Monitor' the situation carefully....:thumbsup::hatsoff2::hatsoff2:

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

tony,

with regards to patrice holloway, is there stuff in the can that NO-ONE is aware of then? ive always thought what weve recieved via chris king/ c.f.o.m. is the sum total of her output and surely everything she did for capitol is known....despite that, nice she recieves some posthumous recognition for her efforts.

is all of the previous gn output out of circulation now?, thats why i said i would like to see it done properly on a universal " anthology, reminiscent of other artists they have covered in the last 6 years.

the spinners also would be a good one, and again, thats despite numerous comps over the decades....to have a completist one on motown that really says it all.

in all honesty tony, anything that comes out must be applauded and more importantly BOUGHT, to show how much the motown loving public/anoraks appreciate yours and their efforts hatsoff2.gif:hatsoff2: :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Not being Cheesy but are there unreleased Edwin Starr tracks waiting to be aired?

I would think so, yes. He was with Motown a good long time, after all, and 'Cellarful Of Motown' has not really touched on Edwin - which might suggest to me that most of any unnissued's there might be are likely to be 70s...

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Just wanted to say that the Marv Johnson package that we have coming next month is worth buying for the fabulous unissued mid 60s fingersnapper 'There Goes A Lonely Man' alone!

Although the rest of it's all good too, of course...:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Tony

Is that the track with a full complement of the Temptations on BVs .. if so it is indeed a goodie

Andy

Yes, mate, that's the one...

...there's also a nice version of 'Farewell Is a Lonely Sound' among the tracks that are making their official debut on this set.

Social source share

Hi Tony

I had suggested to Ady (although I didn't follow it up with the track listing I had prepared) that perhaps Kent could do an 'Early Motown' Comp Cd as part of the Kent 'New Breed R&B' series. Here's the sort of tracks that could form the basis, All tracks are avaliable either of the Complete Singles series or on various anthologies.

Amos Milburn - Money

Barrett Strong - Misery

Barrettt Strong - Yes, No Maybe So

Chico Lavett - Solid Sender

David Ruffn - One Of These Days

Lamont Dozier - Fortune Teller (Tell Me)

Don Mckenzie - Whose Heart (Are You Gonna Break Now)

Eddie Holland - It Moves Me

Eugene Remus - Hold Me Tight

Frank Wilson - Ain't Gonna Tell you

Hattie Littles - Is It True (What They Say About You)

Hattie Littles - Love Trouble Heartaches And Misery

Henry Lumpkin - Mojo Hannah

Jimmy Ruffin - Don' t Feel Sorry For Me

LaBrenda Ben - The Chaparone

LaBrenda Ben - I Can't Help It, I Gotta Dance

Little Otis - Baby I Need You

Marvin Gaye - Never Let You Go

Sherri Taylor and Sammy Ward - Lover

Sammy Ward - You've Got To Change

Sammy Ward - Big Joe Moe

Saundra Mallet - All I Got

Stevie Wonder - Waterboy

Stevie Wonder - Fingertips (tribute to Uncle Ray version)

The Charters - Sign Me Some Sign

The Downbeats - Don't You Know I Love You Baby

The Miracles - (I Need Some) Money

What do you think ?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Hi Tony

I had suggested to Ady (although I didn't follow it up with the track listing I had prepared) that perhaps Kent could do an 'Early Motown' Comp Cd as part of the Kent 'New Breed R&B' series. Here's the sort of tracks that could form the basis, All tracks are avaliable either of the Complete Singles series or on various anthologies.

Amos Milburn - Money

Barrett Strong - Misery

Barrettt Strong - Yes, No Maybe So

Chico Lavett - Solid Sender

David Ruffn - One Of These Days

Lamont Dozier - Fortune Teller (Tell Me)

Don Mckenzie - Whose Heart (Are You Gonna Break Now)

Eddie Holland - It Moves Me

Eugene Remus - Hold Me Tight

Frank Wilson - Ain't Gonna Tell you

Hattie Littles - Is It True (What They Say About You)

Hattie Littles - Love Trouble Heartaches And Misery

Henry Lumpkin - Mojo Hannah

Jimmy Ruffin - Don' t Feel Sorry For Me

LaBrenda Ben - The Chaparone

LaBrenda Ben - I Can't Help It, I Gotta Dance

Little Otis - Baby I Need You

Marvin Gaye - Never Let You Go

Sherri Taylor and Sammy Ward - Lover

Sammy Ward - You've Got To Change

Sammy Ward - Big Joe Moe

Saundra Mallet - All I Got

Stevie Wonder - Waterboy

Stevie Wonder - Fingertips (tribute to Uncle Ray version)

The Charters - Sign Me Some Sign

The Downbeats - Don't You Know I Love You Baby

The Miracles - (I Need Some) Money

What do you think ?

Hi Tim,

At the moment, as far as Motown is concerned, we're preferring to concentrate on devising packages that offer mostly material that hasn't been on CD before, or that hasn't been issued at all - legitimately or otherwise.

Nice set of tracks you've got there, of course, but we do have a lot of ideas to run with before it comes down to reissuing the previously-reissued.

Cheers,

TONY

Social source share

'Early Motown' Comp Cd

What do you think ?

It would make a fantastic compilation in my opinion. Might help make the general soul listener a bit more aware of the awesome stuff that Motown put out prior to the big hits as well. Have been thinking of compiling a CD like that for my own listening pleasure and there's plenty more where the list above came from. A few tunes off the top of my head:

Earl King - A Man And A Book

Contours - Whole Lotta Woman

Gino Parks - Fire

Gino Parks - For This I Thank You

Bob Kayli - Tie Me Tight

Lee & The Leopards - Trying To Make It

Richard Wylie And "His Band" - Money (That's What I Want)

Miracles - If Your Mother Only Knew

Temptations - Oh Mother Of Mine

:thumbsup:

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Hi Tim,

At the moment, as far as Motown is concerned, we're preferring to concentrate on devising packages that offer mostly material that hasn't been on CD before, or that hasn't been issued at all - legitimately or otherwise.

Nice set of tracks you've got there, of course, but we do have a lot of ideas to run with before it comes down to reissuing the previously-reissued.

Cheers,

TONY

Appreciate that there is a list of projects, just thought it would be good to see some of these early tracks placed together as most people haven't heard this stuff, despite being avaliable on CD. Thanks for your comments.

Social source share

Guest Coyley

Great news. Very pleased to hear about Marv Johnson as his Motown material is very fragmented on CD and often in poor quality. Thanks for your work on this (and all the other great releases, I am enjoying 'Manhattan Soul' as I type). Although it is less recognised than vinyl, this is a golden age for soul reissues on CD across many fine labels (Kent, OuttaSight, Soul Brother, Soul.com, Superbird, Expansion etc)

cheers

Mark

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert