New Member - Lorraine Chandler

Hi Lorraine fabulous to have a legend on here!

I once worked for a record importing company in Manchester part-time - (I was only 16-17 at the time) I used to wade through thousands of US Imports looking for that elusive uptempo soul record. I remember the first time I found this RCA demo of "I cant hold on" I was in absolute heaven. It had been known on the scene for some time but to pull it out of a box of about a thousand records & put it on a quite crappy turntable and listen I just got goosebumps. I wish I was there when you recorded it!

My Best wishes

Steve

Social source share

Hi Lorraine fabulous to have a legend on here!

I once worked for a record importing company in Manchester part-time - (I was only 16-17 at the time) I used to wade through thousands of US Imports looking for that elusive uptempo soul record. I remember the first time I found this RCA demo of "I cant hold on" I was in absolute heaven. It had been known on the scene for some time but to pull it out of a box of about a thousand records & put it on a quite crappy turntable and listen I just got goosebumps. I wish I was there when you recorded it!

My Best wishes

Steve

Almost like hitting the lottery! Well, almost. Glad it was you who found it because you appreciated it. It was a fun session all the way around and its still fun to sing today. Thanks for replying.

Lorraine

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Well, he owns a great record store on Woodward called People's Records you definitely should check it out.

We do a soul and R&B weekender over here every July, and he's coming to DJ. Your records always spin and pack the floor! hatsoff2.gif

Dante,

As promised, I stopped by the record store and he has a wonderful place there. Thanks for turning me on to it. They treat the records like gold! Dusting, vaccuming and such. (No fingerprints there!) I need to have him come to my house! Have a good time in July.

Lorraine

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lorraine

Although your records are treasured on the rare soul scene, along with hundreds if not thousands of other uptempo soulful dance tracks of that era, its obvious only a handfull actually sold in big enough numbers to make any real money.

Whats your opinion on why the USA did not embrace more of them at the time of release?

Was there a crowd at that time who were into that kind of uptempo music? Were there any clubs who would play one after the other? Was the hope that the 'Motown/Stax/Atlantic' sound could be copied and in turn add RCA to that list?

If you could write a story about those years, I'm sure everybody on here would be glued to every word!!

Cheers Ed

Edited by tomangoes
Social source share

Hi Lorraine

Although your records are treasured on the rare soul scene, along with hundreds if not thousands of other uptempo soulful dance tracks of that era, its obvious only a handfull actually sold in big enough numbers to make any real money.

Whats your opinion on why the USA did not embrace more of them at the time of release?

Was there a crowd at that time who were into that kind of uptempo music? Were there any clubs who would play one after the other? Was the hope that the 'Motown/Stax/Atlantic' sound could be copied and in turn add RCA to that list?

If you could write a story about those years, I'm sure everybody on here would be glued to every word!!

Cheers Ed

Hi Ed,

You know the clich, "too much of a good thing." During that time good music was everywhere and being copied and people being cloned. If you got in on the ground floor anywhere, you stood a chance. If enough money wasn't exchanged, you might not ever hear your record outside of your living room. It was a pay to play atmosphere, or a different way of 'advertising'. RCA wanted to be in the game, but didn't want to 'pay' the game. Also, I was strictly the artist at that time and not privy to (all) the administrative/management deals being made and with whom, but basically it was the same everywhere in the record business.

I would love to write a behind the scenes book but unfortunately it would only sell about 500 copies (maybe). My dream of becoming a recording star is much like everyone else's who cut a few records and tried to get a hit. During the time of my singing, my competition was Rose Bastiste, Betty LaVette, and Pat Lewis to name a few that you might know. That was just the local talent and they all were good. My story might be a little different because I pursued other avenues, writing and producing for other artist so my canvas might be wider. While my counterparts were out 'gigging' I was writing and learning how to produce. I always thought I was a better writer than singer.

I am lucky to see the end result of this 'dream'. I consider myself successful because of you all. I'm here speaking with you and I've sang to you. My relationship with you is my greatest reward. Your output of gratitude is immeasurable and leaves me speechless. While not being recognized globally, you hearing me in your living room suffices for me. We have our own love/success story. :thumbsup:

Lorraine

Social source share

A TRUE SOUL LEGEND!

Lorraine, I don't think you could ever imagine the pleasure that you have given the Soulies in the UK over the years. Your records are still cherished and played at many Soul events around the country.

For this I would like to thank you from everyone in the UK that appreciates Soulful music from a stunningly soulful singer.

Thank you!

Steve

Social source share

Hi Lorraine,

I can only add that you were there at the beginning of my journey to loving this great music. Thank you.

Pauline :thumbsup:

Hi Pauline,

My pleasure. I'm glad and blessed to be here at the end! Thanks for replying.

Lorraine

Social source share

A TRUE SOUL LEGEND!

Lorraine, I don't think you could ever imagine the pleasure that you have given the Soulies in the UK over the years. Your records are still cherished and played at many Soul events around the country.

For this I would like to thank you from everyone in the UK that appreciates Soulful music from a stunningly soulful singer.

Thank you!

Steve

Steve, you are welcome. It's wonderful to hear that you have made someone else's life a little bit brighter for a few minutes in time. Thanks for replying.

Lorraine

Edited by lorchand
Social source share

Guest RobCroskell

Hi Lorraine,

This a real honour, I was also at Stafford, the best night of my life on the soul scene, stood at the back with my best mate, both of us trying to hold back the tears, getting goose bumps now thinking about it.

Rob.

Social source share

Thank you Tim for taking the time to alert me of this. I'm checking it out now. As you are aware, unauthorized selling doesn't generate royalties to anyone and I need a new TV (3-D) so I'm kicking booty aggressive.gif to anyone who is stealing! Again, thank you for looking out. You have no idea how much it is appreciated.

Lorraine

Tim,

It turns out to be OK! :yes: Yeah! Now let's see if it sells and I get paid...

Lorraine

Social source share

Hi Lorraine,

This a real honour, I was also at Stafford, the best night of my life on the soul scene, stood at the back with my best mate, both of us trying to hold back the tears, getting goose bumps now thinking about it.

Rob.

Rob,

I'm glad for your special nite. If I'm invited back again, introduce yourself and let's chat.

Lorraine

Edited by lorchand
Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

You know the clich, "too much of a good thing." During that time good music was everywhere and being copied and people being cloned. If you got in on the ground floor anywhere, you stood a chance. If enough money wasn't exchanged, you might not ever hear your record outside of your living room. It was a pay to play atmosphere, or a different way of 'advertising'. RCA wanted to be in the game, but didn't want to 'pay' the game. Also, I was strictly the artist at that time and not privy to (all) the administrative/management deals being made and with whom, but basically it was the same everywhere in the record business.

I would love to write a behind the scenes book but unfortunately it would only sell about 500 copies (maybe). My dream of becoming a recording star is much like everyone else's who cut a few records and tried to get a hit. During the time of my singing, my competition was Rose Bastiste, Betty LaVette, and Pat Lewis to name a few that you might know. That was just the local talent and they all were good. My story might be a little different because I pursued other avenues, writing and producing for other artist so my canvas might be wider. While my counterparts were out 'gigging' I was writing and learning how to produce. I always thought I was a better writer than singer.

I am lucky to see the end result of this 'dream'. I consider myself successful because of you all. I'm here speaking with you and I've sang to you. My relationship with you is my greatest reward. Your output of gratitude is immeasurable and leaves me speechless. While not being recognized globally, you hearing me in your living room suffices for me. We have our own love/success story. :huh:

Lorraine

What a lovely post Lorraine.

I'd be delighted if you wrote a book and would love to read it.

Your records have been part of the soundtrack of my life.

Thank you so much.

Social source share

Hi Ed,

I am lucky to see the end result of this 'dream'. I consider myself successful because of you all. I'm here speaking with you and I've sang to you. My relationship with you is my greatest reward. Your output of gratitude is immeasurable and leaves me speechless. While not being recognized globally, you hearing me in your living room suffices for me. We have our own love/success story. :)

Lorraine

top post Lorraine :huh:

Social source share

Hi Ed,

I am lucky to see the end result of this 'dream'. I consider myself successful because of you all. I'm here speaking with you and I've sang to you. My relationship with you is my greatest reward. Your output of gratitude is immeasurable and leaves me speechless. While not being recognized globally, you hearing me in your living room suffices for me. We have our own love/success story. :huh:

Lorraine

I wouldn't be so sure that you'd only sell 500 copies Lorraine. You're a natural writer, you were there at the time, you're still very level-headed (which is a rarity believe me) and you have a fantastic story to tell. I can tell just from this thread that you have the skill to write a book that could touch the hearts of many people. I'll bet you a dollar to a cent that you could sell at least a couple of thousand copies to your core audience alone. And yours would probably be a much better read than Dennis and Jack's books!

Could be a lovely project and an opportunity to document everything properly from your own unique angle as one of the few women that covered all angles.

Worth thinking about ay?

Ian D X :)

Social source share

What a lovely post Lorraine.

I'd be delighted if you wrote a book and would love to read it.

Your records have been part of the soundtrack of my life.

Thank you so much.

Mrs. Norman Maine,

The jury is still out on the 'book'. It has been my pleasure to be a part of your life.

Lorraine

Social source share

I wouldn't be so sure that you'd only sell 500 copies Lorraine. You're a natural writer, you were there at the time, you're still very level-headed (which is a rarity believe me) and you have a fantastic story to tell. I can tell just from this thread that you have the skill to write a book that could touch the hearts of many people. I'll bet you a dollar to a cent that you could sell at least a couple of thousand copies to your core audience alone. And yours would probably be a much better read than Dennis and Jack's books!

Could be a lovely project and an opportunity to document everything properly from your own unique angle as one of the few women that covered all angles.

Worth thinking about ay?

Ian D X :D

Hey Jelly Belly!

On your 'out' days, I might have to make you my PR man! :) I hope you didn't hurt Dennis and Jack's feelings. Do we care? no.gif This is the book world, everyone for themselves, page by page, paragraph by, oh, I'm getting carried away...

(Sing/whistle the next sentence soulfully so we can stay on this thread) :huh: Don't I first need a publisher who would know that sales could be limited but is willing to take the risk?

Lorraine

Edited by lorchand
Social source share

Tim,

It turns out to be OK! :thumbsup: Yeah! Now let's see if it sells and I get paid...

Lorraine

Hi Lorraine

That is good news. Working as I do for a UK copyright organisation I see far too many unlicensed releases. Normally they are too small scale to deal with or the seller has obtained it via a third party and is unwilling to remove the product from their website or auction or reveal who the supplier is.

Tim

Social source share

Hi lorraine, as you know, most of us were 14 to 18 years old when your records got played in the early to mid 1970's. So for sure you have at least 250000 fans in the UK alone

It's took another 20 years to actually put the details together on how things were in period 64 to 73 when the majority of "our" rare soul scene material was made.

But still we don't have many insights as to how things were then for artists like you and the record buyers who bought these sounds etc.

What was it like?

A book would be superb, but most of us would love to read any recollections you have!

Regards

Ed

Social source share

Hi Lorraine, welcome, welcome, welcome. Not much I can add to what has been said already, stirred the emotions just to read this thread. Must say however after reading through all the posts your intelligence and humour shines through so blown away twice, once by your music and second by your personality. You've covered most of the technical aspects of growing into a creative person but what did you do for fun. You know most of us started in this club based scene in our early to mid teens what was blowing you away at our age. What were you 'dancing the night away' to?

Social source share

Hi lorraine, as you know, most of us were 14 to 18 years old when your records got played in the early to mid 1970's. So for sure you have at least 250000 fans in the UK alone

It's took another 20 years to actually put the details together on how things were in period 64 to 73 when the majority of "our" rare soul scene material was made.

But still we don't have many insights as to how things were then for artists like you and the record buyers who bought these sounds etc.

What was it like?

A book would be superb, but most of us would love to read any recollections you have!

Regards

Ed

Hi Ed,

Thanks for increasing the fan base but it also took that long for me to realize that I had a following there. Making the records and writing/producing for other artist was wonderful. I really wished I could have made a living from it. It wasn't the case. While waiting for 'royalties' to come in, I had to eat and that meant outside jobs. I had no problem working and keeping a job because I had skills and I was a woman. It was when Motown moved to California that things took their toll. Other companies were getting their 'sound' together and other production teams were starting to get hot.

You asked a good question but a big one. I don't think I can answer it in a paragraph. I'm kind of all over the place with this and I need to be more specific, I will, give me a little time.

Lorraine

Social source share

Hi Lorraine, welcome, welcome, welcome. Not much I can add to what has been said already, stirred the emotions just to read this thread. Must say however after reading through all the posts your intelligence and humour shines through so blown away twice, once by your music and second by your personality. You've covered most of the technical aspects of growing into a creative person but what did you do for fun. You know most of us started in this club based scene in our early to mid teens what was blowing you away at our age. What were you 'dancing the night away' to?

Hey Jam66,

Thank you for the kind words. I came up with Motown music. It's the stuff movies are made of. I had a crush on Otis Williams and followed the 'Temps' everywhere they gigged locally (age 14-18), not necessarily a groupie but a true fan. I had an eleven o'clock curfew so that curbed a lot of fun. I fell and learned to make love by the music of Marvin Gaye and Tammy Terrell (TMI?).

The music industry is/was fun. When I look back, I spent most of my youth learning the industry. Remember, we threw the party and you all attended. That's if we did our job right. If we wrote/produced a good record and you liked it, you partied to it and had fun. That's what it was all about. When you hear your work being played on the radio and people singing to it, it is indescribable and it has its own 'high'. Yes, I look back and (each) twenty years past so quickly it was frightening. Then you all called me to perform and started it all over again! Bless you.

Lorraine

Social source share

Hey Jam66,

Thank you for the kind words. I came up with Motown music. It's the stuff movies are made of. I had a crush on Otis Williams and followed the 'Temps' everywhere they gigged locally (age 14-18), not necessarily a groupie but a true fan. I had an eleven o'clock curfew so that curbed a lot of fun. I fell and learned to make love by the music of Marvin Gaye and Tammy Terrell (TMI?).

The music industry is/was fun. When I look back, I spent most of my youth learning the industry. Remember, we threw the party and you all attended. That's if we did our job right. If we wrote/produced a good record and you liked it, you partied to it and had fun. That's what it was all about. When you hear your work being played on the radio and people singing to it, it is indescribable and it has its own 'high'. Yes, I look back and (each) twenty years past so quickly it was frightening. Then you all called me to perform and started it all over again! Bless you.

Lorraine

Thank you so much for your reply Lorraine it will be saved to the hard drive lol.

Not quite TMI just this side of proper decorum just like a true lady. My first true girlfriend and I wore the grooves out of Motown's Greatest Hits volume 3 awww first love and yes the Temp's were quite a favourite of ours as well as Marvin and Tammi. I suppose in retrospect all the Motown love songs. Especially and I suppose rather obviously looking at it now Marvellettes When Your Young And In Love.

PS What Can I Do my personal favourite playing whilst I'm typing. Difficult to describe the feeling.

Social source share

Hi Lorraine

I read you were actually a backing singer on Eddie Parker's 'love you baby' Ashford stomper.

That's another record up there with your RCA recordings that is cherished on this scene. You must have a thousand stories about experiences like that which would make a book worth writing!

Ed

Social source share

Guest lambrettanik

hi Lorraine,apols only just dawned on me that ITS REALLY YOU! THE LORRAINE CHANDLER!.fantastic! :hatsoff2: have ever been asked to do a scooter (perform)rally here in the u.k? i think you would be an absolute sensation on one!. Nik

Social source share

A TRUE LIVING LEGEND LANDS ON HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WELCOME TO THE HOME OF YOUR MOST ADORING FANS LORRAINE.

WE ALL LOVE YA GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!

You didn't leave a name so I'll have to address you as soulalways and throw some love and adoration back at you! Thanks for supporting me. This couldn't have been as much fun without all of you.

Lorraine

Social source share

hi Lorraine,apols only just dawned on me that ITS REALLY YOU! THE LORRAINE CHANDLER!.fantastic! :hatsoff2: have ever been asked to do a scooter (perform)rally here in the u.k? i think you would be an absolute sensation on one!. Nik

Hi Nik,

I really don't think :no: that I've done a scooter rally but I'm willing to try! Thanks for replying.

Lorraine

Social source share

Hi Lorraine

I read you were actually a backing singer on Eddie Parker's 'love you baby' Ashford stomper.

That's another record up there with your RCA recordings that is cherished on this scene. You must have a thousand stories about experiences like that which would make a book worth writing!

Ed

Hey Ed,

Yes, if I was around (and I always was) I did background on all my stuff. When Eddie and I perform live, I run out and always do the background on Love You Baby. I adore that song! Eddie and I re-recorded it (slower) and you can find it on YouTube and on the Blues Gallery label.

Lorraine

Social source share

Amazing!

Did you ever make a list of all the songs you wrote, performed, produced, or simply helped out on? If so could you share that with us.

Obviously you have seen how all us 'devotees' dance like crazy to your uptempo tunes, was it in any way similar to how they were received in the USA when you were performing live at the time of issue?

Ed

Social source share

Amazing!

Did you ever make a list of all the songs you wrote, performed, produced, or simply helped out on? If so could you share that with us.

Obviously you have seen how all us 'devotees' dance like crazy to your uptempo tunes, was it in any way similar to how they were received in the USA when you were performing live at the time of issue?

Ed

Hi Ed,

There is a list of songs that I was involved with somewhere on the internet. I'm glad they did it, because I can't remember them all. In response to question 2, when What Can I Do was played, if you were in your car, it 'grooved' you and its tempo lended itself to a nice 'bop' dance. Have a wonderful day.

Lorraine

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

snapback.pngtomangoes, on 14 August 2011 - 04:08 PM, said:

Thats great. Is there also a list of artists etc you worked with along the way?

Ed

Hey Ed,

I don't know if you mean as an artist, producer or writer. I can say starting out as an artist, I was billed with Dionne Warwick and the O'Jays (wish I had that placard) and was in awe over Dionne. She was a superstar with all of her hits (Say a Little Prayer, Walk on By, etc.) and I was singing What Can I Do. She wouldn't remember me but I'll never forget that night.

As a writer, Baby Washington needed a song and I was asked to come up with one. I've Got to Break Away was it. It was done in three days and Baby did a wonderful job. I love tailor making a song for an artist. Hearing it from beginning to end (full production) blows my mind.

Working with the Pied Piper/Just Productions artists (too many to mention here) was an invaluable experience. We were all learning and honing our skills. Hearing those wonderful voices being molded and blended and then produced on vinyl was something to behold.

Finish your beer Ed. :yes:

Lorraine

Social source share

Guest enchantedrythm

Just want to say HI and that I'm glad to participate in the forum. I hope I'm in the right place. You are my home away from home and I just wanted to let you know that I miss you and appreciate you all still supporting me.

Lorraine Chandler

love your work,

love you,

chris fletcher

Edited by enchantedrythm
Social source share

As you are aware Lorraine, the devil is in the detail with 'us', so for example You worked with Eddie Parker who in turn fronted the Sunlovers etc. There is a huge interest in who worked with who as 99% of the records we love bombed as far as sales went on release but now they fetch $000's such as Eddie's 'Im Gone'.

All the intrigue about the motown stars working elsewhere under 'alias's' etc like Connie Clark (Chris Clark) etc.

Rack your brains girl!! Name names. Some of our stars may be stacking shelves in Walmart or the like (Bobby Paris?) but to us they are Mega important. Kev Roberts russled up lots of folks at his USA trip like Gwen Owens and Freddie Hughes but still there are hundreds of 'one flop wonders' that we know nothing about.

Ed

Social source share

love your work,

love you,

chris fletcher

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the support,

thank you for the :wub:

and back at you!

Lorraine

As you are aware Lorraine, the devil is in the detail with 'us', so for example You worked with Eddie Parker who in turn fronted the Sunlovers etc. There is a huge interest in who worked with who as 99% of the records we love bombed as far as sales went on release but now they fetch $000's such as Eddie's 'Im Gone'.

All the intrigue about the motown stars working elsewhere under 'alias's' etc like Connie Clark (Chris Clark) etc.

Rack your brains girl!! Name names. Some of our stars may be stacking shelves in Walmart or the like (Bobby Paris?) but to us they are Mega important. Kev Roberts russled up lots of folks at his USA trip like Gwen Owens and Freddie Hughes but still there are hundreds of 'one flop wonders' that we know nothing about.

Ed

My dear Ed,

It's not that I don't know, all will be revealed in a different way . However, you told me something that I didn't know. I had no idea Eddie Parker led a group call the Sunlovers. I have to ask him about that! It's a very interesting story when Eddie came to the auditions of Pied Piper, and no, I will not elaborate on that here either!

I think it's wonderful that you and others are concerned with us 'one hit wonders'. You know it brings joy to me. Maybe if they knew, it would be a wonderful feeling for them to share too. I can't express how happy I am that I decided to join this forum. Now that I'm here, I'm never giving you up!

Patience my dear. Did you drink that beer? :facepalm: Hummm, maybe that's the problem.

Lorraine

Social source share

Hi Lorraine

Just come to this thread really late on....but welcome..it's great to have you onboard...a real SOUL queen. Be great if you came back to the UK for a gig....not sure if you've got any plans....but if you do... as Levi Stubbs would've said "I'll be there".....love ya hun....x

Social source share

Hi Lorraine

Just come to this thread really late on....but welcome..it's great to have you onboard...a real SOUL queen. Be great if you came back to the UK for a gig....not sure if you've got any plans....but if you do... as Levi Stubbs would've said "I'll be there".....love ya hun....x

Hey Salliejane,

Thank you for the support and the :wub: . My performing and returning to you is all in your hands. It's that supply and demand thing. You have to say you want me there and as The Four Tops continue to sing the song,..."to love and cherish you."

Lorraine

Edited by lorchand
Social source share

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the support,

thank you for the :wub:

and back at you!

Lorraine

My dear Ed,

It's not that I don't know, all will be revealed in a different way . However, you told me something that I didn't know. I had no idea Eddie Parker led a group call the Sunlovers. I have to ask him about that! It's a very interesting story when Eddie came to the auditions of Pied Piper, and no, I will not elaborate on that here either!

I think it's wonderful that you and others are concerned with us 'one hit wonders'. You know it brings joy to me. Maybe if they knew, it would be a wonderful feeling for them to share too. I can't express how happy I am that I decided to join this forum. Now that I'm here, I'm never giving you up!

Patience my dear. Did you drink that beer? :facepalm: Hummm, maybe that's the problem.

Lorraine

The glass is always half full, as they say!

This love is ours - (Jack Ashford & Lorraine Chandler) - The Sunlovers - Mutt & Jeff 18 - 1967

This love is ours - (Jack Ashford & Lorraine Chandler) Eddie Parker and the Sunlovers - Aliza 48 - 1969

I also read you were in the Ebonees, who backed Eddie Parker from time to time.

You are not a one hit wonder, far from it, you are a founder member of the rare soul scene and have more fans than you can imagine!

You know when you perform in front of us, we sing all the words of your songs without a song sheet!

We also wish we could reach your fellow 'stars' who did only get the odd recording deal and show them how much they are admired. Keep the faith and write your book!!

Ed

Social source share

snapback.pngtomangoes, on 14 August 2011 - 04:08 PM, said:

Thats great. Is there also a list of artists etc you worked with along the way?

Ed

Hey Ed,

I don't know if you mean as an artist, producer or writer. I can say starting out as an artist, I was billed with Dionne Warwick and the O'Jays (wish I had that placard) and was in awe over Dionne. She was a superstar with all of her hits (Say a Little Prayer, Walk on By, etc.) and I was singing What Can I Do. She wouldn't remember me but I'll never forget that night.

As a writer, Baby Washington needed a song and I was asked to come up with one. I've Got to Break Away was it. It was done in three days and Baby did a wonderful job. I love tailor making a song for an artist. Hearing it from beginning to end (full production) blows my mind.

Working with the Pied Piper/Just Productions artists (too many to mention here) was an invaluable experience. We were all learning and honing our skills. Hearing those wonderful voices being molded and blended and then produced on vinyl was something to behold.

Finish your beer Ed. :yes:

Lorraine

Another that's been in my collection for years, a wonderful job by you all Lorraine.

MASTER_FIVE_9707-A.jpgMASTER_FIVE_9707-B.jpg

PEOPLE_PEO-107-A_DJ-2.jpgPEOPLE_PEO-107-B_DJ-2.jpg

Released in UK too.

Roger.

Social source share

The glass is always half full, as they say!

This love is ours - (Jack Ashford & Lorraine Chandler) - The Sunlovers - Mutt & Jeff 18 - 1967

This love is ours - (Jack Ashford & Lorraine Chandler) Eddie Parker and the Sunlovers - Aliza 48 - 1969

I also read you were in the Ebonees, who backed Eddie Parker from time to time.

You are not a one hit wonder, far from it, you are a founder member of the rare soul scene and have more fans than you can imagine!

You know when you perform in front of us, we sing all the words of your songs without a song sheet!

We also wish we could reach your fellow 'stars' who did only get the odd recording deal and show them how much they are admired. Keep the faith and write your book!!

Ed

frusty2.gif Ed, Ed, Ed, Ed, ED...

You beat me down! You did your homework. HOWEVER...This Eddie Parker and the Sunlovers is NOT, I repeat not my Eddie Parker (Love You Baby, I'm Gone). After hearing the song, I'm not sure it's even one of mine even though its says so.

People do a lot of things to sell records. Folks will slap on your name and give you credit to make a dollar/pound. I would never see a penny/pence of it (and I haven't) so what the heck. I admit, back then I was turning out songs like flipping pancakes. But I think I would remember that group with that name. I have a call into Jack (Ashford) about the song. It doesn't readily come to mind and I don't remember the production.

Someone sent me a song with me singing it and I was blown away. I totally had forgotten about the song. But once I heard it, I remembered it instantly. (I do need a little prodding every now and then.) This song still hasn't registered. I'll get to the bottom of it and let you know. I have a feeling that you will remind me. :yes:

As for the Ebonys. It was a girl group that did background. As stated earlier, I didn't have to sing with anybody to sing background on my songs, I just did and in most cases, I was the one who wrote the background melodys! If I wrote the melody line, (the song) I would know how to answer it (background). So I just stuck my big mouth in when and where needed. My creed is "make the lead singer work." It all made for a better recording and sound.

The last time I was there, the audience started singing the song (I Can't Change) and it blew my mind. Every now and then I think about that and it cracks me up. They knew when to come in, the melody and the words and was jammin'! I'm so proud of my children!

As for telling others about the site. I knew about this site and it took me a while to introduce myself (a few years). When I do run across folks I do tell them. Believe it or not, it took some courage for me to come aboard. I'm somewhat computer savvy, but a lot of them are not (Eddie Parker, and he admits too). You have no idea how you will be received or if anyone will know you or your work. To be honest, you can find a lot of folks on Facebook. I find this forum more intimate and I just had to find a way to say Thank You and I :wub: you. I am so glad I did.

Talk to me anytime,

Lorraine

Social source share

Another that's been in my collection for years, a wonderful job by you all Lorraine.

MASTER_FIVE_9707-A.jpgMASTER_FIVE_9707-B.jpg

PEOPLE_PEO-107-A_DJ-2.jpgPEOPLE_PEO-107-B_DJ-2.jpg

Released in UK too.

Roger.

Hi Roger,

Thanks for showing the Stereo Dimension label. Haven't seen it in a while. Three days, that's all it took and Baby took it away. A weekend in New York. Boy, those were the days. Might have been in the studio the entire time, but I was in New York! Oh, it was a good session too. Thank you for the compliment.

Lorraine

Social source share

They are nothing to do with Lorraine or Eddie, The Sunlovers were a west coast outfit recording for the Breakthrough and Mutt & Jeff labels, the Aliza release is a Simon Soussan bootleg of the Breakthrough release which was briefly covered-up as Eddie Parker.

Hi Lorraine,

It's great having you on board :wave:

Edited by Tony Smith
Social source share

They are nothing to do with Lorraine or Eddie, The Sunlovers were a west coast outfit recording for the Breakthrough and Mutt & Jeff labels, the Aliza release is a Simon Soussan bootleg of the Breakthrough release which was briefly covered-up as Eddie Parker.

Hi Lorraine,

It's great having you on board :wave:

:wave: Hey Tony,

Ed and I thank you for clearing this up. I see that my 'pimp' Soussan was at it again. I wonder how much other stuff he did under my name.

And on board I shall stay.

Lorraine

Edited by lorchand
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!