News: Gil Scott-Heron RIP

• Replies 87
  • Views 11k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

shocked and saddend by this! The Bottle has to be one of the scene changing records along with the carstairs etc

When Ian Levine 1st started playing "The Bottle" out, as well as the Mecca on a Sat., he did a few midweek venues.

One of these was Darwen Tiffs, anyone he told me that the LP was in stock at Black Wax inn London.

Next day rang up Black Wax up on works phone, than said to boss I don't feel well and I need to go home.

Want down to train station and jumped train to London, across London on tube and got the said LP.

Just so I could play in at Accrington Legion on a Friday night, happy days.:hatsoff2:

R.I.P Gil Scott-Heron.

Social source share

Total genius, I didn't get him right away but love most of his stuff.

Really tragic given recent circumstances, a very flawed individual that spoke for the world....

Gil Scott Heron - Train From Washington - Arista

Edited by jocko
Social source share

One more, paying my respects by sharing his beautiful if soul revealing music, and this is one the most beautiful for me.

RIP Gil

Gil Scott Heron - I Think I'll Call It Morning - Flying Dutchman

Edited by jocko
Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

It takes a brave man to hold a mirror up to someone in love with themselves and tell them the real truth about themselves !

Gil fearlessly did this to America throughout his entire career, and we need him now more than ever. Sad sad sad.

Thanks Jocko for the posts.

Social source share

i can remember buying winter in america for the bottle, but was totally blown away by back home and your daddy loves you, those two tracks have followed me through many a journey and stayed awesome music, peace go with you brother, thank you for letting me here those songs

Social source share

Guest Buey

A true artist that gave so much of himself, suffering -I guess- as true artists do.

Peace go with you brother... Back Home.. Rev... Jo Burg... Bottle.. Home is....The whole Winter in America LP "Your daddy loves you" + my fave H2O gate blues - and not forgetting... Black History...The WORLD...

... Outstanding.... Peace B

Edited by Buey
Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

So sad to hear this over the weekend.

I never wanted to see him live because from what I'd heard, I thought he'd be a shadow of his former self, overcome by his personal demons. I used to feel exactly the same about Nina Simone. And now the years have passed, I wish I'd gone along to see Dr. Simone anyway, no matter what.

I'm already starting to feel this way about GSH.

A man who tried to tell us what was happening. Whilst, most of the time, we all persisted in looking the other way .

Things seemed to be looking up again with 'I'm new here' last year. And now this.

Just such a shame that he didn't get more of a chance to bring some peace into his own life.

RIP Brother Gil x

Social source share

Just been on Youtube playing one of my all time favourite clips of anything, his 9 minute 11 second live version of "B" Movie, which was part of a brilliant documentary shown in the early 80,s, a show that absolutely grabbed me and to this day has never let go, genius doesn,t even come into it, he was more, a friend of mine who did the "Soul show" for Radio Tees interviewed him and told me he was so clever that he had my mate "tied in knots" after about 10 minutes. Absolutely gutted with this news.

God Bless Gil Scott-Heron

Kev

Social source share

:hatsoff2:Hi All very very sad news on the passing of GIL SCOT HERON , I met him only once in 1976 when I told him about the success the bottle had made in the north, to my amazement he already knew, the album JO BURG

is a testament to this talented music ion, SAD DAY , GOD BLESS RIP,

:rolleyes: HI ALL..... MAYBE THIS IS NOT THE RIGHT MOMENT OR THREAD FOR ME TO MAKE NEGATIVE COMMENTS, HOWEVER, WHY NOT?

:lol: After reading some soulful messages and how Mich GIL meant not just for us but all people who feel the spirit of soul.no.gif PLEASE TELL ME HOW IAN LAVINIE GETS A MENTION ON DISCOVERING THE MAN AND HIS BOTTLE, "HAVE SOME OF YOU GOT MUD IN-BETWEEN BOTH EARS"yes.gif

THE BOTTLE IMPACTED ON EVERY BODY IN THE WORLD, IAN WETS HIMSELF STILL ABOUT THE CAR STAIRS, HE DID NOT DISCOVER, I LIKE IAN, BUT PLEASE DINT :ohmy: GIVE HIM CREDIT FOR THE BOTTLE, DJ BUY RECORDS BEFORE YOU DO, THATS ALL COZ THEMS GOT MONEY, RIP GSH IF YOU WERE STILL HERE YOU WOULD THANK ME BRUVVER ph34r.gif DAVE THE MOUTH OF THE SOUTH,

Social source share

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

There was a nice little obit on Radio 4 today. Not over the top, pitched quite nicely I thought. There was one for Flick Colby too. For a mo' I thought that was a bit... incongruous, but then I chilled.

I've never chilled before. I've always wanted to try.

Social source share

There was a nice little obit on Radio 4 today. Not over the top, pitched quite nicely I thought. There was one for Flick Colby too. For a mo' I thought that was a bit... incongruous, but then I chilled.

I've never chilled before. I've always wanted to try.

I heard it also 'Last Word', nice tribute to him.

Social source share

:sweatingbullets: HI ALL..... MAYBE THIS IS NOT THE RIGHT MOMENT OR THREAD FOR ME TO MAKE NEGATIVE COMMENTS, HOWEVER, WHY NOT?

:thumbup: After reading some soulful messages and how Mich GIL meant not just for us but all people who feel the spirit of soul.:wicked: PLEASE TELL ME HOW IAN LAVINIE GETS A MENTION ON DISCOVERING THE MAN AND HIS BOTTLE, "HAVE SOME OF YOU GOT MUD IN-BETWEEN BOTH EARS":thumbup:

THE BOTTLE IMPACTED ON EVERY BODY IN THE WORLD, IAN WETS HIMSELF STILL ABOUT THE CAR STAIRS, HE DID NOT DISCOVER, I LIKE IAN, BUT PLEASE DINT :hatsoff2: GIVE HIM CREDIT FOR THE BOTTLE, DJ BUY RECORDS BEFORE YOU DO, THATS ALL COZ THEMS GOT MONEY, RIP GSH IF YOU WERE STILL HERE YOU WOULD THANK ME BRUVVER ph34r.gif DAVE THE MOUTH OF THE SOUTH,

You're right it wasn't the moment. For once stop trying to make it all about you, frankly you are boring and not fit to place yourself in the same place as Mr Scott-Heron, And no he wouldn't thank you. He would just recognise you as another incoherent rambler he spent too much of his life around,

And do the decent thing, don't respond and spoil this thread, delete this if you are any sort of man rather then the egotistical clot you come across on here as.

Social source share

Back to the most imporant thing, the music of this great artist, have still been listening constantly to his music this week and thinking wow, what a paradox of a man obviously.

Gil Scott Heron - Waiting For The Axe To Fall - Arista

Doing his thing, maybe his lack of ability to solve the problems he was obviously passionate made him the man he was, who knows, pure speculation on my part, but certainly he knew how to say it properly but always retain the musical integrity.

Social source share

Another of his rants that so sounded like great songs, you can see why he always thought of himself as a writer first and foremost, but boy he made some great music

Gil Scott Heron - We Almost Lost Detroit - Arista

Social source share

Guest Paul

...maybe his lack of ability to solve the problems he was obviously passionate made him the man he was, who knows, pure speculation on my part...

I always got the impression he was writing about real life, either personal experiences or things he had observed.

And there's nothing more interesting than real life.

Social source share

There was a nice little obit on Radio 4 today. Not over the top, pitched quite nicely I thought....

I heard it also 'Last Word', nice tribute to him.

I heard it yesterday evening and as soon as the piece began, that feeling just slammed into me again. Not felt like this since we lost Curtis Mayfield.

Social source share

Saw gil in Manchester in the mid nineties, first time he didnt show, but his band did! The midnite express were excellent, so much so that whe Gil did play with them the following month I was didappionted with his, just like the record performance and lack of rapore with the audience, but thats Crack cocaine for you!

Edited by geeselad
Social source share

I always got the impression he was writing about real life, either personal experiences or things he had observed.

And there's nothing more interesting than real life.

Good point indeed Paul...

GSH and his words/ music have had a profound affect on me over the years..

There is something so real in it all for me..

Social source share

Guest alchust

RIP and good luck from Spain. Here, we follow the fight. Now, against the bank and politics.

the revolution will not be televised. Yes, now is the moment. may 15th.

Social source share

A sad loss indeed, RIP Gill.

His father only passed away a few years ago, he was the first black player for Celtic and was tempted over from the American football league to play first in Scotland and later in England, I believe Gill spent some of his early years here in the UK. This was from a half page obituary I read in a Glasgow newspaper, his dad was know as the"Black Arrow"

Looks like they were both talented in different fields.

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Saw gil in Manchester in the mid nineties, first time he didnt show, but his band did! The midnite express were excellent,

Dunno if this was the same band he toured with in the 80s....... but if so they were fantastic......he called his bass player (Robert Gordon) the "Secretary Of Entertainments"

Saw Mr Gordons "Go Go" band @ The Wag in the 80s too

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Quick heads up:

2003 programme 'GSH: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised'

Will be televised. Ha. On BBC4 tonight at 11.00

https://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/b0074prl

Saw it last night, fantastic essential insight, what a genius we have lost, everything and more was said on the recent thread but the man was a total one off, we will never see anyone like him again.

Kev

Social source share

Missed last nights show as on early flight this morning, still thinking of his music, can't load any music files at moment, which I will when back but these 2 articles for me give a great balanced view of this genuinely great, if obviously flawed, giant of a man.

https://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/jun/19/gil-scott-heron-saved-me

One of the many articles the Guardian produced on him, proving that when it puts it mind to it, rarely as that is these days, it can be a genuinely great paper

https://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2011/05/gil-scott-herons-scornful-brilliance.html

I pinched this of Stuart Cosgroves facebook, particularly fitting as Stuarts article for Echoes all those years ago introduced us to GSH, a very thoughtful and thought provoking article,

I obviously never knew GSH but I really miss him as irrational as that obviously is......

Social source share

Missed last nights show as on early flight this morning, still thinking of his music, can't load any music files at moment, which I will when back but these 2 articles for me give a great balanced view of this genuinely great, if obviously flawed, giant of a man.

https://www.guardian....-heron-saved-me

One of the many articles the Guardian produced on him, proving that when it puts it mind to it, rarely as that is these days, it can be a genuinely great paper

https://www.newyorker...brilliance.html

I pinched this of Stuart Cosgroves facebook, particularly fitting as Stuarts article for Echoes all those years ago introduced us to GSH, a very thoughtful and thought provoking article,

I obviously never knew GSH but I really miss him as irrational as that obviously is......

Incredible stuff Jock, just read the links, the Guardian story defies description really, but at the same time does not suprise you, no Bertie Big Bollocks about GSH, no "Hollywood" what you saw and heard was what you got. Its time for "Pieces of a man" I think.

Kev

Social source share

Incredible stuff Jock, just read the links, the Guardian story defies description really, but at the same time does not suprise you, no Bertie Big Bollocks about GSH, no "Hollywood" what you saw and heard was what you got. Its time for "Pieces of a man" I think.

Kev

One of those artists that reminds you this music is not about bits of plastic and all the nonsense that surrounds it. A truly great talent.

Been playing his last CD from last year lately and it really is a great effort all things considered , give it go if you have not already.

Mike

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert