Prelude Label

Dennisoul

The McGees - So Tired BELTING isn't the word.

And the flip of it is cracking too so I've heard?

It defo is...I play the "So Tired" side...think Pomonky from NYC favours the other (more funkier) side ? Seeing you like the McGee`s I may add that I have a C/UP which I tend to play next to this Prelude 45 which indeed is AS good and very similar to it. Played it at Lifeline and it didnt clear the floor :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

first played at burnley by andy dyson...........thereon in by phil k..........sorry fellas knocks spots off of the hopkins girls lol

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

first played at burnley by andy dyson...........thereon in by phil k..........sorry fellas knocks spots off of the hopkins girls lol

now ain,t that a slab of proper!!!!!! norvern have it!!!!! and they say nothing good gets discovered in recent time.........that,s cos 80% ain,t listening lol :wink:

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

broadway # dance you out of my life

how much for one of these nowadays ???.

i'm told it only got issued on a 7" ???

joe.

I think this is a different prelude label than the one the original poster was talking about. There are many releases on this later prelude label.

Social source share

First heard it when Andy Dyson played it at the Uptight Weekender Frankfurt (Germany) maybe 5 years ago and it simply blew me away..!...had to rush to the decks to see what it was..never thought I would find one.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

First heard it when Andy Dyson played it at the Uptight Weekender Frankfurt (Germany) maybe 5 years ago and it simply blew me away..!...had to rush to the decks to see what it was..never thought I would find one.

thank ya lucky stars for phil :thumbsup:

Social source share

The McGhees is on HB Barnum's L.A. label. Another Prelude label I know of was orange and was located in New York, if I remember correctly. The J.J. Jackson and The Jackaels must be the same L.A. label, despite the different number scheme. I doubt that they released over 500 singles.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

The McGhees is on HB Barnum's L.A. label. Another Prelude label I know of was orange and was located in New York, if I remember correctly. The J.J. Jackson and The Jackaels must be the same L.A. label, despite the different number scheme. I doubt that they released over singles.

yes robb, only these two releases on this Prelude label. strangely enough McGrath has it down as being Detroit but as you say it must be LA.

Social source share

yes robb, only these two releases on this Prelude label. strangely enough McGrath has it down as being Detroit but as you say it must be LA.

H.B. Barnum operated out of L.A. as did June (J.J.) Jackson. None of the names on those 2 records are connected with Detroit. Why would anyone think that particular Prelude Records was located in Detroit?

Maybe there was a prelude Records operating in Detroit with which he got it confused? But, I certainly don't remember any Prelude label in Detroit.

Social source share

H.B. Barnum operated out of L.A. as did June (J.J.) Jackson. None of the names on those 2 records are connected with Detroit. Why would anyone think that particular Prelude Records was located in Detroit?

Maybe there was a prelude Records operating in Detroit with which he got it confused? But, I certainly don't remember any Prelude label in Detroit.

No, I acme across a lot of early Detroit labels but no Prelude for sure. It must be a mistake or typo. As I said , I am with you on that this label was based in LA.

Social source share

now ain,t that a slab of proper!!!!!! norvern have it!!!!! and they say nothing good gets discovered in recent time.........that,s cos 80% ain,t listening lol :wink:

Yes this is the west coast Prelude,i have a couple more things somewhere on the label.The copy Phil had was the same copy i'd sold to Tim Brown some years before, Think it was same day i took him Tiara's and something else heavy weight .. he had to suffer that day !

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I think this is a different prelude label than the one the original poster was talking about. There are many releases on this later prelude label.

The later Prelude label was very good too, if you're that way inclined. :D Gerald Mallory, D-Train, Bobby Thurston all had great releases there.

Edited by daved
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Any additions/corrections?

J.J. Jackson And The Jackaels - Oo-Ma-Liddy / Let The Show Begin - PRELUDE 502

Rhonda Fleming - Cold Rain / My Heart Cries For You - PRELUDE 100

Phillip Sisters - Together We'll Be / You'll Never Know - PRELUDE 106

Duvals - Last Surf / Ferny Roast - PRELUDE 110

McGee's - So Tired / Got Ta' Get It - PRELUDE 143

Mac Staten And The Nomads - There She Goes / ? - PRELUDE 1111

Nomads - Icky Poo / Last Summer Day - PRELUDE 1112

post-1392-0-43104800-1314902825_thumb.jp post-1392-0-14216800-1314902828_thumb.jp post-1392-0-30006800-1314902824_thumb.jp

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

I listen but that one definitely isn't for me my uptempo friend :no:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

I listen but that one definitely isn't for me my uptempo friend :no:

Cor blimey where did you pop up from........hope ya well, thought we might see ya at lifeline ........never mind we can,t all like everything..........but it,s f********king awesome out loud :D :D

Social source share

At first, before seeing Prelude 1112 and 1113, I had thought that maybe that H.B. Barnum might have been the A & R man and chief of production of the label (and maybe even be a part owner). Now, it appears more likely that L.A. Prelude Records had no production of their own, and just leased master tapes from independent L.A. producers.

Social source share

I love a Hopkins as much as the next man but the first time i heard Andy play the McGees at Lifeline steam came out my ears and i tried to eat a pint glass. A 45 thats tougher than an SAS troop made out of reinforced concrete.

Anyone got a clip of the other side??

Edited by corbett80
Social source share

Sorry only just noticed this Joe, don't think it's rare, will check through my Prelude stuff and let you know. ATB Steve

Regarding the Broadway 45 on the "other" Prelude label. Perhaps not rare in the greater scheme of things, but it is definitely one of the trickiest Prelude 7" releases to find. It seldom pops up for sale these days and usually goes for $40-$60. Two good sides.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I had thought that maybe that H.B. Barnum might have been the A & R man and chief of production of the label (and maybe even be a part owner).

Found another one with H.B. involvement:

Duvals - Last Surf / Ferny Roast - PRELUDE 110

post-1392-0-71648200-1314951142_thumb.jp

I assume that the ones below are also on the same label:

Rhonda Fleming - Cold Rain / My Heart Cries For You - PRELUDE 100

Phillip Sisters - Together We'll Be / You'll Never Know - PRELUDE 106

One of the sides on the Phillip Sisters 45 also got a release on the DRA label. Might be the same group that recorded for ROMARK as well.

Social source share

I love a Hopkins as much as the next man but the first time i heard Andy play the McGees at Lifeline steam came out my ears and i tried to eat a pint glass. A 45 thats tougher than an SAS troop made out of reinforced concrete.

Anyone got a clip of the other side??

I`ll try to post you a clip later mate

Social source share

• 1 year later...

Thought I'd just resurrect this thread out of curiosity more than anything, having had a conversation about this particular tune a few weeks back.

Was playing another tune off my phone to a local collector/friend and also had this one on my phone so I played it to him................I'd heard it many years ago, played by Andy Dyson and well..............awesome tune, as already stated. Also it's been mentioned it was played at Burnley, in fact, it was probably me who requested it... :) .

To get back to the conversation, as I was playing the tune to my mate, another guy walks up and asked what it was, I answered it's by The McGee's and his answer was:-

"THERE WERE THREE FOR SALE ON EBAY THE OTHER WEEK @ $150!!!!

Let's just sayl I thought it unlikely....,,,,,,,,,,.anyone else seen any for sale recently??

:thumbsup:

Edited by Carol J
Social source share

• 1 year later...

Just resurrecting this thread to ask. Does anyone own, or know of anyone who owns a copy of the McGees 45, other than the two copies that Andy D turned up? I've never heard anyone else play it, and never seen another copy. Must be one of the rarest 45's on the planet.

Social source share

Excellent label though if you like non cheesy Disco/Soul

Have 2 great albums on this label, 9th Creation-Reaching for the top and Bill Brandon-Bill Brandon, both have fantastic ballads and a couple of soulful dancers

Kev

Edited by kev cane
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!