Artists We Know Nothing About

Steve L

The Sharon Scott thread got me thinking about this. You wouldn't have believed it 30 years ago but we now know an awful lot about many of the artists that made our music that we once didn't know anything about. One by one many have been tracked down or information about them found.

Some are well known in the wider world, some died along the way and a lot have performed over here in recent times - we even have Lorraine Chandler as one of us on here!!

So how many and which artists do we still know absolutely nothing about?

I asked Lorraine if she knew James Lately on a her thread and she hadn't heard of him so i'll suggest him as a start although someone probably knows otherwise.

Complex I know...

Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

I've been searching for info on Margie Hendrix/Hendricks for years..... hardly any info at all. :(

Social source share

RE: Margie Hendrix/Hendricks for years..... hardly any info at all

I've got quite a bit of info on her (including photos) ....

... she was one of the Raelettes for well over 3 years & so got mentioned in dispatches quite a lot during those years.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

It doesn't surprise me when there is nothing about an artist who had one record out and then nothing more, what gets me is when an artist releases a lot of records over a long period but seems to have hardly left a trace.

A few years ago I was putting out a Chet Ivey track and couldn't find anything about him. How could that be? He had about a dozen singles released.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Having just written nearly 3000 words on her career, I can tell you that virtually nothing at all is known about Rhonda Washington, other than that she was Volt artist Hot Sauce and that she was on Sure Shot as both a solo act and the singer of the Mustangs/Mighty Mustangs. She was seemingly never interviewed, her manager and producer are both dead and the handful of her contemporaries that I spoke to couldn't even tell me excatly where she came from (it's believed to be the St. Louis area) or what sort of a person she was (and maybe still is). Even Andy Rix had nothing to offer...

Hot Sauce had several singles on Volt including two that made the R&B chart. You would think here would be some info somewhere, beyond the names of the two guys who backed Rhonda on these great records.

Another great mystery man for me is Al Johnson - the one who briefly recorded for South Camp records, and who made the incredible 'Bless Your Little Sweet Soul'. I've spoken to several people who played and sung on the record, none of whom remember anything about him other than that he disappeared back into the Muscle Shoals ether as abruptly as he apeared. Jeanie Greene told me and Dean Rudland that 'I don't think we or (Label owner) Quin Ivy ever saw or heard from him again' (after the session...)

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Rhonda also went back to Stax as a solo artist in the late 70s...

Different Rhonda, apparently , mate...

Social source share

Having just written nearly 3000 words on her career, I can tell you that virtually nothing at all is known about Rhonda Washington, other than that she was Volt artist Hot Sauce and that she was on Sure Shot as both a solo act and the singer of the Mustangs/Mighty Mustangs. She was seemingly never interviewed, her manager and producer are both dead and the handful of her contemporaries that I spoke to couldn't even tell me excatly where she came from (it's believed to be the St. Louis area) or what sort of a person she was (and maybe still is). Even Andy Rix had nothing to offer...

Hot Sauce had several singles on Volt including two that made the R&B chart. You would think here would be some info somewhere, beyond the names of the two guys who backed Rhonda on these great records.

Another great mystery man for me is Al Johnson - the one who briefly recorded for South Camp records, and who made the incredible 'Bless Your Little Sweet Soul'. I've spoken to several people who played and sung on the record, none of whom remember anything about him other than that he disappeared back into the Muscle Shoals ether as abruptly as he apeared. Jeanie Greene told me and Dean Rudland that 'I don't think we or (Label owner) Quin Ivy ever saw or heard from him again' (after the session...)

If she was on Sure Shot maybe she was Rhonda Davis? Same family of labels...

Social source share

What about Buddy Smith? All that I know of him is that as well as his "When You Lose The One You Love" on Brute, he also wrote "She's Got You Now" (or "He's Got You Now", depending which version you prefer).

Buddy Smith has credits on Dee Dee Warwicks "Where Is That Rainbow" 45.

Social source share

Guest woody no1

i would like to know more about "tom green" "endless confusion" on "action" have always wondered

about him maybe someone got some info??????

Edited by woody no1
Social source share

Got one for you- I am currently researching for a book on beach bands of the 1960s. This morning one band member I'm talking to put me onto a very shortlived band, that I've never heard of, nor of the band members themselves. They never released anything but did do a demo session which a member copied reel to reel to cd at home last year for a mate - just trying to get a copy now and peeing my pants! If any good (and info suggests may be, but even if not) it's amazing to think these guys would have gone completely unnoticed outside their own hometown (literally) had it not been for a chance remark - the lead singers own kids only found out he was in a band last year!

Edited by mark w.
Social source share

A few years ago I was putting out a Chet Ivey track and couldn't find anything about him. How could that be? He had about a dozen singles released.

Are you still looking for him? Because I heard a story about him about a year ago collaborating with a notorious NY music guy. You can PM me if you care...

Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

RE: Margie Hendrix/Hendricks for years..... hardly any info at all

I've got quite a bit of info on her (including photos) ....

... she was one of the Raelettes for well over 3 years & so got mentioned in dispatches quite a lot during those years.

I would be sooooo grateful if You would share with me Roburt, especially the photos. I've a couple that I've managed to download from the net but not many at all.

I was lucky enough to buy a signed copy of I Call You A Lover a few years back and although it's signed to some random chap....it means the world to me. Any info at all means the world!!! :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

Yep, this was one of the very first sites I gained some info from.... thanks Dave!

I suppose I have no business wanting more than just discography details etc but I'd love to know about Her life. What happened to their Son, where She was buried. There's sadness because it's pretty certain that I'll never know, and that it will always remain private. The film "Ray" was superb but it's not Her relationship with Ray Charles that interests me, it's the woman Herself!

There's something extremely special about Margie Hendrix.

Thanks.... Teresa

Social source share

Ray Charles had a big gig down on Miami Beach in April 1969 ...

.... the Raelettes were part of his review show as they had their own 45's out a few months earlier (in 1968).

Ray had a big bust up with his then Raelettes in 1968 and all the ladies quit overnight. He had shows coming up in days & so had to set up a new version of the group. For a few weeks, the 'new' Raelettes were Rita Graham (of Rita & Tiaras), Susaye Greene (later a Supreme) & Beverly LeShure.

When things settled down & Ray got the opportunity to appoint permanent members of the group, Susaye Greene was joined by Mable John, Vernita Moss & Estella Yarborough.

I'm not sure what the exact line-up of the Raelettes was for this show but believe it was the four ladies I name immediately above.

Margie took time off from show biz to have her baby (not too sure when the baby was born but assume it was around 1967), so she wasn't performing with the other three ladies in the group in 1968 (see next ad).

post-22122-0-16827100-1339655063_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

No.1 Super Gal, here you go ........

Ray & Margie together before a gig !!

I'm absolutely thrilled! What an amazing picture Roburt. Can't thank You enough for this :)

Made me quite emotional this morning.

Soppy....I know!!

Social source share

Ray was performing in a Miami Beach Hotel in April 1969 ...

.. but he had done shows down there (in the 'white audience' hotel show rooms) for a number of years .... so Margie knew the area & the local 'bookers' knew her from the Raelettes.

In May 1968 she had secured a good solo gig at the Castaways Motel (see 'Old Miami Show Ads' thread for more info on hotel & its nite club) ......

I am only guessing this BUT Margie most probably went solo as a result of Ray's attitude to her having his baby (he just moved on relationship wise & got himself a new girlfriend) ... his treatment of Margie may well have been a major factor in the other ladies in the group breaking from him shortly afterwards.

post-22122-0-32975600-1339656397_thumb.j

Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

Ray Charles had a big gig down on Miami Beach in April 1969 ...

.... the Raelettes were part of his review show as they had their own 45's out a few months earlier (in 1968).

Ray had a big bust up with his then Raelettes in 1968 and all the ladies quit overnight. He had shows coming up in days & so had to set up a new version of the group. For a few weeks, the 'new' Raelettes were Rita Graham (of Rita & Tiaras), Susaye Greene (later a Supreme) & Beverly LeShure.

When things settled down & Ray got the opportunity to appoint permanent members of the group, Susaye Greene was joined by Mable John, Vernita Moss & Estella Yarborough.

I'm not sure what the exact line-up of the Raelettes was for this show but believe it was the four ladies I name immediately above.

Margie took time off from show biz to have her baby (not too sure when the baby was born but assume it was around 1967), so she wasn't performing with the other three ladies in the group in 1968 (see next ad).

This is really quite special stuff for me to see Roburt. Thank You!!! x

Social source share

Ray Charles made a movie in the UK in 1964 & it was released in 1965. I was titled 'Ballad In Blue' here in Europe (but 'Blues For Lover in the US).

Scenes were shot in a movie studio in Dublin in June / July 64 & during live shows staged in London & Paris. It has a somewhat corny plot centred around Ray befriending a blind white English kid (both are blind so don't understand their racial / colour differences) ... it was a low budget effort but features some great live concert footage (& Ray + the Raelettes singing loads of songs).

Here's one of the posters for the movie & a 'still' taken during one of the shows ....

.... come in No. 18, you are Margie Hendrix (the small one in the pic back then was Gwendolyn Berry) ..

BTW, it's worth knowing that a UK TV company now owns the UK rights to this movie & it seems to get shown about once every 18 months on that channel (Ch4 ?) in the afternoons.

post-22122-0-47880400-1339657361_thumb.j

post-22122-0-92195100-1339657395_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Tony Borders.

Recorded for almost the whole of the '60s for an assortment of labels, made some of the most stupendous deep soul 45s ever to come out of the Muscle Shoals area...

....nothing, Other than the belief of a few that he 'might have' come from Texas.

Social source share

Surprised there doesn't seem to be a lot of info about on great writer and artist Jimmy Holiday

He was from L.A. and his real name was Jimmy Easter. He was a big draw on the club scene in l.A. for many years, and also was a producer for a while.

Social source share

Tony Borders.

Recorded for almost the whole of the '60s for an assortment of labels, made some of the most stupendous deep soul 45s ever to come out of the Muscle Shoals area...

....nothing, Other than the belief of a few that he 'might have' come from Texas.

More so for Tony Borders than Al Johnson, with all the interest in their recordings by (obsessional) deep soul collectors, the Charly LP's, The SouthernSoul Message Board and the more recent Pete Nickol's Quin Ivy articles on John Ridley's web site. You would have though that a bit more information about these artists would have emerged. If were in the Quinvy/South Camp vain June Edwards is another one

Edited by John Reed
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I had always assumed, stupidly now I think it, he was the Unifics/Back For More Guy?

Who was the Carnival Time AJ then Tony, same as either or neither?

I love stuff like this, keep it coming guys.

Social source share

i would like to know more about "tom green" "endless confusion" on "action" have always wandered

about him maybe someone got some info??????

I'd be interested too ..... why the UK only release. Did he live here when it was recorded, is this his real name etc?? Mick Smith, Paul Mckay, D the Drug any ideas?

Social source share

Jimmy Holiday & Margie Hendix fit in well on this thread as they both worked (at times) with / for Ray Charles.

There was a team of industry veterans that worked in conjunction with Ray in LA. These included Jimmy Holiday, Wally Roker, (Big) Dee Erwin, Swamp Dogg (Jerry Williams) and the like.

Members of this team produced tracks that were released on TRC and then went on to set up Canyon Records (& when that went bust, Roker, RRG & Earthquake). The team knew the legal side of the biz inside out & young rare songwriters & singers got ripped off on a regular basis. Jimmy Holiday would take part writers credit on a song or producers credits on a track for setting up a release deal on a song / track.

One writer / singer who was ripped off by members of the team was Rudy Love (& Company Soul). He had "Sufferin Wrath" out on Canyon but other of his cuts went unreleased whilst the songs were cut & released on the likes of the Whispers (Soul Clock).

Gene Dozier had cut a track (released under the title of "Hunk of Funk") that he & his musician friends had developed in club shows whilst they were all members of Ike Turner's band. Ike didn't want to loose the band members & so wouldn't help Gene get it released. Jimmy Holiday came along at that time & he was the main LA based A & R man for Minit Records. The song was fully developed & the track was cut but Jimmy H insisted that if Gene D wanted it releasing on Minit, Jimmy H had to be credited as the producer. The deal was done but Jimmy took the advance from Minit & kept it for himself plus the producers fees ... needless to say there were no more Gene Dozier releases on Minit as he wouldn't deal with Jimmy H again. So that's why a US Top 50 hit didn't ever have a follow up 45. James Gadson (drummer) was also on that recording, so he also steered clear of Jimmy H after that.

No doubt, Jimmy Holiday had been ripped off in similar fashion when he had been young & raw to the music biz and he was just 'returning the compliment' but the yong guys he ripped off didn't see it that way.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Another outfit that seemed to get mixed up with the TRC / Jimmy Holiday / Wally Roker team were the Turnarounds.

I don't know anything much about the group other than that they seemed to be LA based and had 45's out on Minit & TRC, both of which I believe were 'outside productions' licensed in for release on Mimit (by Jimmy Holliday ?) & TRC (by Roker, Erwin & Co I guess).

Anyone know much of anything about the Turnarounds ?

Social source share

Back to Margie Hendix ....... she joined the Cookies in 1956 & after the group backed up Ray charles, he enticed two of the members away in 1958 to help form the Raelettes (Margie being one of these). The photos shown in posts 31 & 32 above were taken in 1960. The picture in post 33 was taken in 1966 when the group were down to three members (probably coz Margie was on 'maternity leave').

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!