The Right To Reply

What disappoints me most is the total blinkered intransigence of the oldies only brigade. Ive been to nights where there has been a mix of oldies & underplayed oldies and new discoveries. Iam quite happy to put up with to spots of hammered oldies, so i can also listen to other varied sets. But the revival mob will not put up with anything but the oldies they know, ive them rush up to the DJ shouting and screaming at the first sign of anything not familier. Ive had first hand experience of this when ive done a spot of DJ ing- "Play some oldies or were off,whats this shit, we want oldies" But it is an oldie it was played at Stafford etc " Well we dont know it & its shit". Even when the DJ spots are half an hour each they are not prepared to listen to something not familiar. Personally i started with the Oldies at Wigan but could not wait to move on and listen to other stuff at other venues. How in gods name do they think the oldies ever got played in the first place.

Would that be all of them, most of them, some of them? Seems a little unfair to me to tar everyone that prefers oldies with the same brush.

Social source share

Guest Marky Tee

Would that be all of them, most of them, some of them? Seems a little unfair to me to tar everyone that prefers oldies with the same brush.

I think 80% was mentioned earlier Winston, quite how that figure is reached is a mystery. It's too easy to make sweeping generalisations it makes better reading. If people are so disgusted by oldies only and the followers thereof, why do people get so upset that their own events are poorly attended in comparison. The mantra appears to be underground, select few, rare, etc so why do the seemingly mainstream well attended events cause so much derision? The more vociferous on here would not want the vested, circle skirted johnny come latelys at their events would they? However I do think some of the comments are a tad ill-informed alluding to the fact that if you dress in that way you are a div. I could name a few people who are certainly not divs who dress like that.

Why don't people just understand that people are different, some like one thing and some another. I couldnt care less if somebody doesnt like what I like. It doesnt damage my enjoyment of my life and leisure time. If people say "I'm into Northern Soul" then rush to dance to the snake et al, I smile ruefully to myself, what is the point of getting het up about it. Thats up to them. We are all in our 50's at least so come on fellas lighten up a bit. Stick to your underground scene, let those who want to dress up, dance and play whatever they want to.

Edited by Marky Tee
Social source share

What disappoints me most is the total blinkered intransigence of the oldies only brigade. Ive been to nights where there has been a mix of oldies & underplayed oldies and new discoveries. Iam quite happy to put up with to spots of hammered oldies, so i can also listen to other varied sets. But the revival mob will not put up with anything but the oldies they know, ive them rush up to the DJ shouting and screaming at the first sign of anything not familier. Ive had first hand experience of this when ive done a spot of DJ ing- "Play some oldies or were off,whats this shit, we want oldies" But it is an oldie it was played at Stafford etc " Well we dont know it & its shit". Even when the DJ spots are half an hour each they are not prepared to listen to something not familiar. Personally i started with the Oldies at Wigan but could not wait to move on and listen to other stuff at other venues. How in gods name do they think the oldies ever got played in the first place.

The OVO brigade can be just as intransigent I'm afraid. As in life, intolerance is extremely damaging.

I did a slot at Mansfield Civic Hall a while back and some thick brash ignorant cow got in my face as I was cueing up one of my Asda CDRs and spat at me 'are you only playing modden if you are I'm going home'. I just smiled, gave her £3 for the bus and said 'safe journey home'. :)

Roger

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Running or attending a cheesy Motown/Soul night isn't yet a crime, 200 folk paying a fiver to dance the night away to Supremes/Vicki Sue Robinson/Temptations is a happy night for everyone concerned. A night like this has F*** all to do with the scene that this web site promotes, and there's no point in dragging out vinyl to an event like this - it takes up too much space, you can carry more tracks, therefore you can cater for requests, and nobody gives a F***. Now as a would be promoter of events like these (that surprisingly are still not illegal - :P) I can advertise on this site FOR FREE and call it "across the board Motown and Soul" - so do you think it's right that nights like the one I describe CAN be hyped on this site. I have no problem with "handbag soul" nights, but do they have a place on this site, when nights like Lifeline (which embodies everything this site promotes) are cancelling - just a thought.

Des

EXACTLY !!!
Social source share

The OVO brigade can be just as intransigent I'm afraid. As in life, intolerance is extremely damaging.

I did a slot at Mansfield Civic Hall a while back and some thick brash ignorant cow got in my face as I was cueing up one of my Asda CDRs and spat at me 'are you only playing modden if you are I'm going home'. I just smiled, gave her £3 for the bus and said 'safe journey home'. :)

Roger

Class Roger pure class lol I'm affraid when I was DJ'ing I would not have been as polite as you.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Best one I had was after playing Oh Happy Day....girl dancing energetically....I then stuck on Heart Be Still....girl comes over stop playing this seventies crap.....?????

I had it at the Morecambe weekender recently, playing Prince Phillip Mitchell 'I'm So Happy', some bloke snarled at me 'stop playing this shit and play some seventies we all know!!' What a top hat. :rofl::lol:

Social source share

Roger

You do have to laugh, three quid, won't even buy you 10 fags. In the interests of total transparency, i now smoke roll ups only, none of these ready mades for me don'tcha know.......... :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Roger

:lol: :lol: :thumbup:

Social source share

Roger

:lol: :lol: :thumbup:

Social source share

Best one I had was after playing Oh Happy Day....girl dancing energetically....I then stuck on Heart Be Still....girl comes over stop playing this seventies crap.....?????

I had it at the Morecambe weekender recently, playing Prince Phillip Mitchell 'I'm So Happy', some bloke snarled at me 'stop playing this shit and play some seventies we all know!!' What a top hat. :rofl::lol:

Class .... Ive had that off a good few ... talk about do ya napper in :lol: :lol:

Social source share

Why don't these Top of the Pops style wealthy promoters start up their own charts where they control what people hear, bit like Simon Cowell does. Have it televised weekly too in some 5000 capacity venue, then they can have their own Pop Northern Soul Chart website...they are basically doing that anyway. Then they can leave the other 90% of records for the people that are really interested in the proper Rare Northern Soul Scene....just a thought lol

Social source share

Why don't these Top of the Pops style wealthy promoters start up their own charts where they control what people hear, bit like Simon Cowell does. Have it televised weekly too in some 5000 capacity venue, then they can have their own Pop Northern Soul Chart website...they are basically doing that anyway. Then they can leave the other 90% of records for the people that are really interested in the proper Rare Northern Soul Scene....just a thought lol

Social source share

Brilliant-Now why didnt i think of that. The great Northern soul swindle- ever get the feeling youve been cheated.

Not really, I'm one of those fortunate ones that makes the best of where ever I am. I choose to go to events, generally I know the sort of sets the DJs are going to play, so I don't think I have the right to try and influence their choices to accommodate my personal musical taste :thumbsup:

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Running or attending a cheesy Motown/Soul night isn't yet a crime, 200 folk paying a fiver to dance the night away to Supremes/Vicki Sue Robinson/Temptations is a happy night for everyone concerned. A night like this has F*** all to do with the scene that this web site promotes, and there's no point in dragging out vinyl to an event like this - it takes up too much space, you can carry more tracks, therefore you can cater for requests, and nobody gives a F***. Now as a would be promoter of events like these (that surprisingly are still not illegal - :P) I can advertise on this site FOR FREE and call it "across the board Motown and Soul" - so do you think it's right that nights like the one I describe CAN be hyped on this site. I have no problem with "handbag soul" nights, but do they have a place on this site, when nights like Lifeline (which embodies everything this site promotes) are cancelling - just a thought.

Des

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this site called 'Soul Source' rather than 'Blinkered One Dimensional Condescending View Of What I Think The Soul Scene Should Be Source'?

Social source share

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this site called 'Soul Source' rather than 'Blinkered One Dimensional Condescending View Of What I Think The Soul Scene Should Be Source'?

What was wrong with his statement, can't see anything condescending at all, he says all should be able to advertise whatever type of do they promote.

Social source share

What was wrong with his statement, can't see anything condescending at all, he says all should be able to advertise whatever type of do they promote.

"I have no problem with "handbag soul" nights, but do they have a place on this site"

Who is he (or anyone) to question what should and shouldn't be placed on this site if it falls under a general banner of 'soul'. Sorry mate, but to me that's a very condescending attitude.

Social source share

"I have no problem with "handbag soul" nights, but do they have a place on this site"

Who is he (or anyone) to question what should and shouldn't be placed on this site if it falls under a general banner of 'soul'. Sorry mate, but to me that's a very condescending attitude.

I thought he said "they do have a place" not "do they have a place" :lol:

I'll read it properly next time.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Soul Source - A Rare & Northern Soul online affair...... :yes:

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

Im well happy to be blinkered with my love of soul music from across the decades & genres, I have personally championed a broader appreciation of Rare Soul (rare in that rare thing within the grooves, as opposed to monetary value alone), I have attended, danced, appreciated, collected, promoted & DJ'd across genres for years & on multiple format, my criteria being that I would only play from original format of release. Am I wrong in my ethics & tastes ?.

I would add, that if I was prepared to compromise I may have had a far more lucrative time on this scene....as it is Im still just a semi known oldie lol

Best Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest JJMMWGDuPree

I'm far more interested in the sound rather than the format it's on, and as such I prefer vinyl, but I don't understand the OVO culture. If there's a Brit vinyl version of a track, even if it's on LP, I'll take that one please. Brit vinyl is almost always superior to the low grade stuff small US labels used to use.

And whilst I'm not wild about CDs and their obsession with perfection they are the place where most rare and undiscovered tracks tend to show up these days. As often as not when vinyl copies show up they're taken from the CD (Or worse, Mp3s) rather than the original masters anyway.

So, a vote of thanks then to labels like Numero and Daptone for issuing (Frequently superior) vinyl alternatives, including those magic little 45s.

And for paying their dues whilst they're at it... :thumbup:

Social source share

"In summary Mike (Jaco) made a statement about all of this on one other thread that summed it up perfectly and should have put this bed to rest for ever more. Go and search for it, if you get "It" you have the force. But you need to look for it to make sure you are worthy! "

Jock, I need to look for it to make sure I even said it!

Just point me in the right direction as I feel I am not generally prone to making profound statements.

Social source share

£í¢"š¬í¢"š¬

Shut it Loser.

Awwright Dodgey boy that's it, not much will get me into this discussion any more but that one works.

As someone who used to get into all of these debates, I can stand shoulder to shoulder to anyone on any Black Music scene and say its always been about the music, period, for all my boys (and the odd bird). The problem is when this debate started, before OVO started getting waved around like some Lightsaber protecting this invisible force that none of the defenders actually seems to understand, the argument in favour was ALL about the music. It was ALL about musical purity. The fact you don't get it is totally understandable, (not least since you have always been associated with the more girly scene known as "Pure Modurn Scene Not Born From The Superior Northern Soul Breakaway Modern Scene"), but the fact is you don't and will never get "It", or you would be over this side. That doesn't make you a bad person, slightly inferior maybe, but not bad. The fact is like many people including Russ, people spent large chunks of their life where "It" was all that mattered, and spent all their weekends and all their money following "It" but actually never discussed "It" because "It" was the unspoken word of some Spiritual like force for good that we all followed slavishly, that means people like Russ are more than allowed this opinion to protect a way of life that has existed much longer than the alternatives everyone now champions. Which is a long winded way of saying Shut It Loser.

The more worrying issue, that sets people like you up to give the Righteous Ones a good comic kicking, is the fact that, as ably demonstrated on here, 90% of those waving that lightsaber, who don't actuallly realise it is fake and bought out of poundshop and has about as much power as a LibDem counciller in Glasgow, don't get "It" either, and actually make a mockery of "It", far more than any of these people on the other side. Therefore today the argument is more about whether the record played was the copy pressed before the artist had a sh*t or the one after, and makes a bigger mockery of "It". In this case then your statement above probably stands, but don't tar all with the same loo brush. Please.

The first rule of the Progressive World is you don't need to explain it or argue for "It", "It" just is.

And to be honest, getting back to Russ, who I have to say has me moist (aurally speaking) with his passion for "it", the fight is with people on the inside, not those on the outside. Just ask everyone who goes on about the other side and the damage it is doing, have they been to every Lifeline? Surely that is far more important than trying to create your own mini progressive "do". And that's not a dig at anyone directly, given the fact that there are only 4 or 5 Lifelines a year it gives lots of scope to have other do's but they should be seen as the support and not the main course. Until that is changed and Lifeline can be held monthly too many people are all just playing at it.

In summary Mike (Jaco) made a statement about all of this on one other thread that summed it up perfectly and should have put this bed to rest for ever more. Go and search for it, if you get "It" you have the force. But you need to look for it to make sure you are worthy!

Can I just point out in a very non smart ass way you do make it especially easy to be a smartass on here!

And as predictable a response as the records are at the gigs you so lovinly protect, Welcome back Mr Rubble, say Hi to Fred for me. Picture below to stop you getting homesick.

PS Being pedantic, if you can't tell the difference between a stamp and a record, it is difficult to take you too serious.

F**k me, 29,000 posts and you finally nail it. Please don't post again so I can keep you on that pedestal, you have knocked a whole load of dust of it.

Although I should point out, there are still only a handful of DJ's with their finger on the pulse, just too many don't realise, and one in particular that if any of those other DJ's had bothered to come upstairs at Cleethorpes at around 3am on Saturday they would have realised its time to stop.

Gobshite, it's just a hobby, there's a couple of hours of your life you won't get back. :)

Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

got an electric cattle prod going cheap if you want? :shhh:

Social source share

Although I should point out, there are still only a handful of DJ's with their finger on the pulse, just too many don't realise, and one in particular that if any of those other DJ's had bothered to come upstairs at Cleethorpes at around 3am on Saturday they would have realised its time to stop.

Stop what Jock?

We were there, but Lorraine didn't like the bad language :lol: :lol:

PS: Good to see you at Cleggy

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

like as already been said its just down to personal choice and no matter what people say or do folk will just do what they want

like going to supermarket do you buy the expensive brand or cheap own brand? if it quenches your thirst most will buy own brand

same applies to records with alot of folk= ovo or cheaper bootlegs ?bootlegs quench their thirst for dancing so cheaper bootlegs etc it will be

and it is something we have got to live with = choice

Edited by mickeyfish58
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

like as already been said its just down to personal choice and no matter what people say or do folk will just do what they want

like going to supermarket do you buy the expensive brand or cheap own brand? if it quenches your thirst most will buy own brand

same applies to records with alot of folk= ovo or cheaper bootlegs ?bootlegs quench their thirst for dancing so cheaper bootlegs etc it will be

and it is something we have got to live with = choice

When I buy fish and chips at the chippy if they ain't got Heinz I don't bother cos the cheap alternative just ain't the same :-) I buy what I can afford but would be far too embarrassed to offer friends blue stripe ketchup that I have transferred into a Heinz bottle trying to make out it was the real thing lol

Social source share

Guest mickeyfish58

exactly bearsy but others would and thats my point = its their choice and no matter how much we may try and explain the wrongs or rights

they will still do it

Social source share

When I buy fish and chips at the chippy if they ain't got Heinz I don't bother cos the cheap alternative just ain't the same :-) I buy what I can afford but would be far too embarrassed to offer friends blue stripe ketchup that I have transferred into a Heinz bottle trying to make out it was the real thing lol

Yes but if the foods good in the first place you don't need to cover it in ketchup, better still pass on the fish and chips and go for a steak lol

Social source share

Gobshite, it's just a hobby, there's a couple of hours of your life you won't get back. :)

Yes but I was being paid, handsomely, while venting. And unless you are Jimmy Carr you contributed towards that so I thank you for both the opportunity and the reward.

Now stop getting into what you don't understand and get back to finding new music for me, either that or admit you are seduced and I will arrange a lift for you to Lifeline.......

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Stop what Jock?

We were there, but Lorraine didn't like the bad language :lol: :lol:

PS: Good to see you at Cleggy

Stop pretending they are upfront DJ's! There in reality aren't that many that can cut it like that surely you would agree,

And lots of that bad language may have been down to us encouraging him to vent. But about 45 mins of almost completely unknown records. almost all top notch.

I repeat too many people playing at it

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes but I was being paid, handsomely, while venting. And unless you are Jimmy Carr you contributed towards that so I thank you for both the opportunity and the reward.

Now stop getting into what you don't understand and get back to finding new music for me, either that or admit you are seduced and I will arrange a lift for you to Lifeline.......

Oh my Scotch friend, I understand it far more than you realise, I just have no time for people think they have a right to preach that their way is the only way, but you did raise a good point, those type of people aren't the real deal and yes, they actually do make a mockery of it, you were so right in what you said there.

And regards new music, keep up lad, I binned that off months ago, lost interest almost totally for a myriad of reasons, to the extent where I've knocked venue DJ'ing on the head as well - I'm happy as Larry these days with my collection and steady steam of new discogs and ebay original vinyl only LP purchases, it's all I need now, the rest of you can carry on fighting amongst yourselves. :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Yes but if the foods good in the first place you don't need to cover it in ketchup, better still pass on the fish and chips and go for a steak lol

Kin ell Mark I ain't made of money lol

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

exactly bearsy but others would and thats my point = its their choice and no matter how much we may try and explain the wrongs or rights

they will still do it

They better not offer me blue stripe in a Heinz bottle cos if they do ey will be wearing it lol. Too many would and do Mickey ...

Social source share

The downside of dj's not playing original vinyl is, anyone who has not served there time, will be able to get behind the decks and do a ridiculous uneducated spot.

Although if DJ's are happy not to play originals, they won't be driving up the prices!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Reading this reminds me of two classic comments from 2011 during my sporadic D J ing.

1. This music is shit - when will you play something we know.

I replied ; well waht do you know ??

answer : I only like music I know and can dance to WTF ???

2. Whilst playing a 70s and jazz funk spot - ' get this jazz shit off don't like jazz - then punter dances energetically to Mario Bondi and Jazz Invaders - oh sorry they obviously ain't jazz records.... :yes: :yes: :yes:

Just two examples that show ' you can' t please all the punters all the time - my motto - mix it up 15 mins of each style , then hopefully most punters have had a section of music they appreciated.

Always been open minded like Miles Davis said : I ' VE COME TO THE CONCLUSION ONLY TWO TYPES OF MUSIC IN THIS WORLD - GOOD MUSIC AND BAD MUSIC '

What differentiates good from bad opens a vast can of worms amongst internet heads ........

Social source share

Stop pretending they are upfront DJ's! There in reality aren't that many that can cut it like that surely you would agree,

And lots of that bad language may have been down to us encouraging him to vent. But about 45 mins of almost completely unknown records. almost all top notch.

I repeat too many people playing at it

Yes I agree now that I understand what you were saying, although I actually had about 50% of 'em I was delighted to hear :lol:

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!