Top Ten Crossover Rarities

Simon M

Great record but beware two different mixes! I have it on a plain yellow P.S and our kid's is on a fancy yellow and red P.S . His fortunately is a much poorer mix with the backing track being well down if I remember correctly.

Dave Ripolles

Yes it was a bummer when I found out after I had bought mine. The difference is the yellow label mix is full on all the way through with drums nice and high in the mix, the yellow and red label is exactly the same recording but the drums and backing vocals come in later after a slightly more acoustic / stripped down intro. Both are great, but one is greater than the other.

Jordi

Social source share

• Replies 94
  • Views 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

The one term that has been forgotten in all this is "70s" - to describe uptempo dancers from the period 73-77 - mainly with a doff of the cap to Philly or NY influences, stuff like Pinch of Perfection, Life "Tell me why" etc- and what great music that was!

Cheers

Social source share

I think "Sweet Memories" by Robert Tanner should certainly be amongst the Top 10 crossover rarities.

defintely rare, gene, but is it crossover? i'd say 60s beat ballady type soul?

but an absolutely brilliant record, however you classify it :thumbsup:

Social source share

Sure, what's in a name but I, like many, have been confused when being talked to about a "crossover" 45 only then to scratch my head in disbelief when I realised they were talking either about some 60s garage sound or a late 70s smooth soul slowee. As JM says, he needs to know how people want 45s categorised if he is to sell them what's on the tin and how many times has he had to re-categorise 60s and 70s soul 45s over the years? I don't think you can be precise about the years to define "crossover" but generally speaking I agree with late 60s to early 70s - but it's about the sound - a 60s "style" dancer with vocals and harmonies but reflecting more advanced/adventurous production and instrumentation techniques of the later period BUT stopping short of the disco/techno productions of the mid 70s onwards. A real cheapie but Darrow Fletcher's Changing by the Minute springs to mind. Or am I talking bollocks?

Social source share

Always understood 'Crossover' to be a record played on the scene that didn't fit the usual criteria of NS. Namely black soul.
Have to agree whith you there Simsy..as far back as torch and wigan thay were classifying stuff like Dusty springfild (Whats it gonna be), and G. Pitney..new white soul..but at the end of the day it`s crossover...To me enything that has came out of the (chart`s) nown artist , from the 60`s through to the pressent day, and finds a home in N.S..unless it has another genre, ie, soulfull house..then thats the genre i call it...
Social source share

I'd probably agree with JM's description of crossover but maybe stretch to the mid 70's. Records that aren't quite northern and not quite modern (as was).

This is the only definition of crossover that does not confuse an outsider like me. The later "definitions" of crossover should be given better names of their own.

Social source share

I'd probably agree with JM's description of crossover but maybe stretch to the mid 70's. Records that aren't quite northern and not quite modern (as was).

These days owt seems to go.

My desciption exactly.

I beleive Crossover to be the term used by the 6ts only DJ's when they realised that they had burned thier bridges & equally by modern purists that said they wouldnt play 6ts ???. I always though that the term crossover appeared back in the Stafford day's too ???.

Russ

Social source share

I would think that Flourescant Smog would be Modern....but hey I still Think Ty Karim is Xover.others would disagree !! :thumbsup:

I'd agree :rolleyes: Ty Karim is crossover.

Another one is "Dead in the middle (of Heartbreak Avenue)" - apart from the evocative title this epitomises that crossover feel.

I've quietly looked for this for years - it doesn't turn up much, do it !!!

Have you got an MP3 of it ??? anyone ???

Girf

You usually see demos of the other side "Imagine" Dunno why the issues are so tough...

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

really like flourecssent smog track, is that crossover or 70,s modern or what, also is it worth loads

Yes Flo Smo is worth loads and loads

Social source share

Have to agree whith you there Simsy..as far back as torch and wigan thay were classifying stuff like Dusty springfild (Whats it gonna be), and G. Pitney..new white soul..but at the end of the day it`s crossover...To me enything that has came out of the (chart`s) nown artist , from the 60`s through to the pressent day, and finds a home in N.S..unless it has another genre, ie, soulfull house..then thats the genre i call it...

:Dunsure.gif

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Has no one thrown Patrinell Staton into the hat for rarest top ten crossover?

and from the accepted description i would also include "Sandy Golden - You are my everything" and probably the Stunners on Renfro whistling.gif

Social source share

I just got the modern/70s room scedule for Prestatyn weekender. I must say there are some awesome crossover sessions planned....Friday night, Saturday and Sunday afternoon....if you want to know what crossover is then check out what the likes of messers Barnfather,Fenn, Rippoles etc will be spinning at these sessions.........oh yeah.......I`ll be gate-crashing the party too!

Chris

Social source share

I just got the modern/70s room scedule for Prestatyn weekender. I must say there are some awesome crossover sessions planned....Friday night, Saturday and Sunday afternoon....if you want to know what crossover is then check out what the likes of messers Barnfather,Fenn, Rippoles etc will be spinning at these sessions.........oh yeah.......I`ll be gate-crashing the party too!

Chris

This is where i aim to set up camp, still have fond memories of last year in the "Redemption" room, can you recall Chris, when i hi-jacked your play box along with "Tats" Taylors wicked.gif . Plus my two mates from Sheffield Cunnie and Errol (ok Martin lives in Rotherham) are playing in the Modern room, so i'll not see much of the main hall.

Brett

Social source share

Absolutely - and Voices ran a great 'Crossover Special' article in issue 16 - i've just dug it out - some faves that I bought around that time were George Perkins - I'm So Glad Your Mine, Kent Drake - Boss Thing Together & Don Gardner - Your Love Is Driving Me Crazy.

And John - in the old days at Yarmouth it was 11am, not 11pm :lol::lol:

Girf

It somes Xover off to a tee. An issue that those folk at Voices should be proud of :wicked: And so many wonderful records highlighted - after all this time Johnny Moore's 'Just be for real' and Frank Lynch's 'Young Girl' still gets some hammer in me back room :lol:

Social source share

Chris

Chris will these be specific "crossover" sessions as such? Not being cynical, just searching for a bit of clarity.....i.e. are they billed as crossover sessions or will they be general mix it up non-northern sessions with Trace of Smoke, Mixed Emotions, type sounds etc ?

Social source share

Chris will these be specific "crossover" sessions as such? Not being cynical, just searching for a bit of clarity.....i.e. are they billed as crossover sessions or will they be general mix it up non-northern sessions with Trace of Smoke, Mixed Emotions, type sounds etc ?

By the looks of it Steve, the Sunday afternoon is the one that will be purely crossover, being billed as the 'Kings Of Crossover'.

Girf

Social source share

Guest Marcus B

Great thread guys with some terrific choices already down.

I Would expect "Tolbert - I got it "/ Rojac to be in the T/Ten.

Wot about these rarities:

Ralph "Soul" Jackson /Set Me Free/Black Kat

Sy Hytower/ I Wonder Why/Monarch (??)

Clarence Coulter/ Can't fight the feeling/Dyco

Annette Poindexter/ Wayward dream/Twinight

Anna Raye/ Will you love my child/Quality Sound

Jerry Warren/I really love you/Latosia

The Locations/Mr Diamond Man (label unsure)....anyone know?

Could go on and on but these could fit into the Crossover/Modern rooms.

Cheers,

Marcus

whistling.gifwink.gif

Social source share

Guest Marcus B

It's on 'Ron Paul'. Anyone got a sound file?

Cheers Simon,

Cheers for the info as trying to track this one down for many a year. I have got a tape from Essence from Way back and I think Rod Dearlove played it (could be mistaken).

Social source share

Guest Marcus B

It's on 'Ron Paul'. Anyone got a sound file?

Cheers Simon as I heard this on a tape cut from Soul Essence from many a year ago(Think Mr Dearlove played it).

Thks,Marcus

Social source share

Hi Steve, These sessions are billed as just crossover....although i cant say records such as the ones you mentioned wont get a spin. I think its aimed more at the listening crowd being in the afternoon. looking forward to it though...should be interesting!

Speaking of rare crossover, does anyone know a record by Brotherhood "When you needed me" on Treserect records? Its a great tight group harmony dancer...listed in Johns guide at 200 i think but no-one seems to know it. I picked mine up in Detroit a few years ago....

Chris

Social source share

Cheers Simon as I heard this on a tape cut from Soul Essence from many a year ago(Think Mr Dearlove played it).

Thks,Marcus

Hi Marcus Ive got the tapes from Essence some german or Austrian did the full weekend and I think its Sam that played the Locations Mr Diamond man in a great spot along with Virgil henry,Dennis Edwards etc from about 97

Adam

Social source share

Guest Marcus B

Hi Marcus Ive got the tapes from Essence some german or Austrian did the full weekend and I think its Sam that played the Locations Mr Diamond man in a great spot along with Virgil henry,Dennis Edwards etc from about 97

Adam

Thanks Adam. That sounds like the one as justing recalling from Memory. (Going to Essence in April,can't wait).

Suspect the Rod Dearlove tape had the ' I Wonder Why' thrown in with 'By All Means' Say you never leave me (by memory I think).

Can recall Gav and Girth sounding rather sloshed on those. ;0)) ...'Why do my eyes always look backwards !!! by the great Lou Bond. ...

O happy days listening to those tapes.

Cheers,

Marcus

Social source share

Only just come across this great thread!

John M, Steve G, Girf etc all hit the nail on the head with their (and my) idea of Crossover (i.e. Thorne/Rod Dearlove/circa 68-72 etc) and not forgetting Richard Searling who also pioneered the Crossover stylee!

I also think if a venue advertises that it plays '70's Modern & Crossover', most people would accept that EVERY record mentioned in these 90 or so replies, would be played there!

Cheers

Steve Plumb

Social source share

I find that very difficult to believe Marcus - i'm sure Gav is tee total :lol:

Girf

He is, between drinks wink.gif

Only just come across this great thread!

I also think if a venue advertises that it plays '70's Modern & Crossover', most people would accept that EVERY record mentioned in these 90 or so replies, would be played there!

Cheers

Steve Plumb

............assuming the jocks had them of course :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert