Margaret Little On Ebay

Premium Stuff

So we now have 7 Detroit northern collectors who also like two piece jigsaws :lol:

Unbelieveable the more knackered the record the more people bid on it, these yanks must be pissing themselves at the stupidity of us Brits :no::facepalm:

Can you imagine the crap and ridicule you'd get if you listed this in the soul source sales section. :yes:

Dave

Edited by Louise
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

I don't want to reopen the other thread to random fighting (and I will delete the posts if the same fight comes up again) so I guess I'll leave this new thread and not merge them.

Anyways, the other person that bid did not put in a real bid. They bid so that they could see who won the auction. There is a way to see the ID of the winner if you get a bid in. imo this did not warrant a new thread because that's all that is, but now there will be lots of the same responses about how stupid the auction is (obviously). Just to note, more "this is stupid" responses also don't add anything.

For the record, I'm the third bidder, and I also bid just to see the winner. if however somehow two bidders retract their bid, I will honor my bid and fix the record so that it's playable.

Social source share

Also, given that nobody had anything else meaningful to add in the other thread, I will lock this thread if there are just more generic "this auction is stupid" responses or more fighting. That has been established with many posts already in the other thread. I don't know if anyone has anything meaningful to add at this point.

Social source share

I can cut a piece of vinyl the size of the hole, sand down the grooves, glue it in place. The hard part would be carving new grooves that lined up. It wouldn't play music at that part but it would be essentially the same as playing a record that had heat damage over that spot.

Social source share

I can cut a piece of vinyl the size of the hole, sand down the grooves, glue it in place. The hard part would be carving new grooves that lined up. It wouldn't play music at that part but it would be essentially the same as playing a record that had heat damage over that spot.

OK - that's what I was wondering - how it could be made playable.

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Surely those that have bid on this , have no intention of paying for it? :g:

I'm truely envious of those (if they do pay for it), who have more money than sense. :ohmy: I mean if they think they are going to get any praise for owning (what may have been a genuine sought after rariety) it, then they are mistaken. You can picture it now, buyer "Look what I just bought for a mere £300!" friend upon seeing large chunk missing "Are you f&*king mad?" :lol:

Edited by Supercorsa
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Surely those that have bid on this , have no intention of paying for it? :g:

I'm truely envious of those (if they do pay for it), who have more money than sense. :ohmy: I mean if they think they are going to get any praise for owning (what may have been a genuine sought after rariety) it, then they are mistaken. You can picture it now, buyer "Look what I just bought for a mere £300!" friend upon seeing large chunk missing "Are you f&*king mad?" :lol:

Question is - anyone out there even madder than the high-bidder?

Of course, we have a good idea from previous events that there is still quite a bit of headroom in their current high bid.

I'm sure we will be glad when it's all over, but I wonder if there are any more twists to this tale?

Some people seem to want to spend money on eBay just because they are being bid against. In the absence of competition they don't seem to bother.

Cheers

Richard

• Helpful 1
Social source share

People buy damaged rare objects all the time, you only have to look at some of the antiques that go through auction houses to know this. That said, they are more often than not restorable, this isn't. Also by their nature their 'value' isn't in what they sound like lol

I feel Brad needs a break however, what would you expect him to do with it? I know people aren't having a pop at him as such but I'm pretty sure if I was in the record selling business and I came across it I would put it up for sale and see what happens. If it sold, great if not hey ho

Totally agree with you Joan :thumbsup:

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Jeezs!! A bit missing??? for $ 650 I will carve you a good one. Lol

Must say this will be one to miss out on the g- 2 m- polishing trick that a few sellers use to skim the cream off the surface, once records turned sour it can never be put right guy's so sell it for what it is. But fine for DJing with.

Well that's my 2012 gripe over unless I start a thread on it, looking through boxes of fucked records at top $ prices.

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

Jeezs!! A bit missing??? for $ 650 I will carve you a good one. Lol

Must say this will be one to miss out on the g- 2 m- polishing trick that a few sellers use to skim the cream off the surface, once records turned sour it can never be put right guy's so sell it for what it is. But fine for DJing with.

Well that's my 2012 gripe over unless I start a thread on it, looking through boxes of fucked records at top $ prices.

That missing piece is the size of a small country.

Aid.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

People buy damaged rare objects all the time, you only have to look at some of the antiques that go through auction houses to know this. That said, they are more often than not restorable, this isn't. Also by their nature their 'value' isn't in what they sound like lol

I feel Brad needs a break however, what would you expect him to do with it? I know people aren't having a pop at him as such but I'm pretty sure if I was in the record selling business and I came across it I would put it up for sale and see what happens. If it sold, great if not hey ho

This is a functional object rendered non-functional, not a rare artifact to be looked at in non-damaged condition.

I don't think Brad did anything wrong though. Also, seeing the high bidder, I'm pretty sure they will pay.

Social source share

This is a functional object rendered non-functional, not a rare artifact to be looked at in non-damaged condition.

I don't think Brad did anything wrong though. Also, seeing the high bidder, I'm pretty sure they will pay.

I think that was pretty much what I said :lol:

Anyway, $650 (£402.35)

Edited by jumpinjoan
Social source share

I don't want to reopen the other thread to random fighting (and I will delete the posts if the same fight comes up again) so I guess I'll leave this new thread and not merge them.

Anyways, the other person that bid did not put in a real bid. They bid so that they could see who won the auction. There is a way to see the ID of the winner if you get a bid in. imo this did not warrant a new thread because that's all that is, but now there will be lots of the same responses about how stupid the auction is (obviously). Just to note, more "this is stupid" responses also don't add anything.

Spoilsport! I think this brings a whole new dimension to record collecting and thus is fascinating to watch. :thumbsup:

This is pretty much my favourite record of the last 12 months or so and I still find it kind of unbelievable that a Detroit Wylie/Hestor record could have lain undiscovered for so long.

But the other side of my brain is also pondering how ignorant I was to leave hundreds of similarly damaged valuable records in the past on the basis that they were unplayable and thus no use to anyone. How stupid was I ay? :lol:

Ian D :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes, was quite interesting to watch. In some ways I'm surprised nobody came in late on this and that all the meaningful bids came in very early (a strange tactic for an experienced eBay buyer I would have thought).

Spotted that the reason given for the bid retraction of $888 was "Entered wrong amount" :lol:

Cheers

Richard

Social source share

Spoilsport! I think this brings a whole new dimension to record collecting and thus is fascinating to watch. :thumbsup:

This is pretty much my favourite record of the last 12 months or so and I still find it kind of unbelievable that a Detroit Wylie/Hestor record could have lain undiscovered for so long.

But the other side of my brain is also pondering how ignorant I was to leave hundreds of similarly damaged valuable records in the past on the basis that they were unplayable and thus no use to anyone. How stupid was I ay? :lol:

wow ..the last 12 months ian.....i think i first heard this about 8+ years ago and loads of times since...... i actually believe this copy would have sold for more if it hadnt been scutinised so much

Social source share

i actually believe this copy would have sold for more if it hadnt been scutinised so much

Hi Dave - interesting observation that - so you think us discussing the auction on here could have had a material influence on the finishing price (the retracted bid aside of course)?

What did you expect it to go for and how many potential bidders do you think might have been put off by us Soulsourcers talking about it?

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

wow ..the last 12 months ian.....i think i first heard this about 8+ years ago and loads of times since...... i actually believe this copy would have sold for more if it hadnt been scutinised so much

Yep, I get to some of these things late. But that's OK. Even if it was 'discovered' after 2000 that's still pretty incredible for a Wylie/Hestor 100% Northern belter like this. Makes you wonder what else may have been missed 30-40 years ago doesn't it?

Social source share

Hi Dave - interesting observation that - so you think us discussing the auction on here could have had a material influence on the finishing price (the retracted bid aside of course)?

What did you expect it to go for and how many potential bidders do you think might have been put off by us Soulsourcers talking about it?

Cheers

Richard

i dont know richard..just had a feeling and was suprised when it finished that it didnt move..what i will say is i think some people are influenced a little by ` soul policing` lol :P

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Saw that the damaged copy of Margaret Little on Genebro finally sold for $650 (£402) on Ebay - seems like a massive amount of money for a 45 missing a significant part of its vinyl !?! I know it's a very desirable and rare (5 or 6 copies ?) record, but i don't know why anyone would want to pay that sort of money for a 45 in that condition, ' first 7 or 10 grooves missing ' - probably losing up to 15 secs or so off the disc. Perhaps another ' Trophy record ' that a cheque book collector wants in his collection, irrespective of actual condition ?? At the end of the day it is his cash, but seems bloody crazy to me. Any comments, anyone ?

Social source share

You're probably thinking of that time you said to me in that private message that Andy got away with murder on the decks.

Dont worry I will never tell him and he's watching TV now so he wont see this.

ROD

Rod , He's behind you !!! :wicked: and thanks for keeping it to yourself mate

Swifty :thumbsup:

Social source share

i dont know richard..just had a feeling and was suprised when it finished that it didnt move..what i will say is i think some people are influenced a little by ` soul policing` lol :P

I agree with Dave on this, I think there would have been more "I want to own that" people if there hadn't been so many posts saying it was dumb to bid on it.

Social source share

I agree with Dave on this, I think there would have been more "I want to own that" people if there hadn't been so many posts saying it was dumb to bid on it.

Well then - Bob this is where the sheep smiley comes in again (sorry - I'm harking back to your previous post and can't resist it) :lamsey:

People should use their brains when spending money, not just be sheep :lamsey: and it's ridiculous for anyone to spend their money in a certain way just because other people (like soulsourcers) will approve/disapprove.

I presume the people that bid a lot of money on this record did so mainly because they think other people will approve of this, or will think they are somehow a better person - someone to admire - and that they will then have a desirable artefact that others crave.

I think they are wrong and that they must be sheep :lamsey:

Go your own way - that's my take on this

(sorry again for the sheep smiley)

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Well then - Bob this is where the sheep smiley comes in again (sorry - I'm harking back to your previous post and can't resist it) :lamsey:

People should use their brains when spending money, not just be sheep :lamsey: and it's ridiculous for anyone to spend their money in a certain way just because other people (like soulsourcers) will approve/disapprove.

I presume the people that bid a lot of money on this record did so mainly because they think other people will approve of this, or will think they are somehow a better person - someone to admire - and that they will then have a desirable artefact that others crave.

I think they are wrong and that they must be sheep :lamsey:

Go your own way - that's my take on this

(sorry again for the sheep smiley)

Cheers

Richard

but richard its up to the individual how he/she spend their money even if we all think they are barking mad.. we all express opinions and maybe thats fine but when it starts getting personal thats not right as its got feck all to do with anyone..i mean whats a decent copy of this worth,,say 3000ukp..someone won the chipped copy for a sixth of that.......while its not for me personally i can understand if the winner of brads copy is feeling pleased with themselves. i am being a man of limited means all for buying beaters within reason as i may never get chance to upgrade

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

If you could afford it - would you ??

If an unplayable,shit copy of Frank Wilson DILYIID came up and you could afford it - would you.

Its a lttle bit of our history if you wish and so, to some, it is quite important.

If I had the Money - I would

If a good copy of The Majestics came up and I had the money ??? Perhaps not !!!

Happy New Year

Social source share

I definitely would say that if an unplayable copy of Frank Wilson (or one with a huge warp) came up for sale that just owning the object, given it's absolutely top grail status, history, as well as truly established rarity (margaret little is very rare but there could be at least a dozen copies in collections -- not frank wilson), would make sense to some. Other people would still make fun of it. Possibly even using this icon of a sheep looking cautious and backwards to describe the mentality of a sheep following other sheep. :lamsey:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

If there's only a handful of a certain record ,how does owning it make you a sheep ?

Surely it's the 100's of dj's who frantically trod over each other to buy a copy of Frankie Crocker because Butch had just re-activated it ,who fit the " sheep " criteria ..or the people who jumped on the " come on train " bandwagon because it was on a tv ad ..and so on :(

Sheep are people who have no ideas of their own ,no real taste or creativity ,so they follow others lead .

The opposite to a sheep is a lion ..walks alone and takes risks in order to be king !

Phil pulled his bid ,maybe the exposure was the reason ,but whoever got it knew what he was buying and will probably be happy to have got it .

At the end of the day ,buying records should be a personal choice and you shouldn't let others opinions sway you either way .

• Helpful 3
Social source share

A passionate defence Nev but hard to get away from the fact that it doesn't play.

A chippendale chair with three legs, a first edition of "Bleak House" with a chapter missing or the "Mona Lisa" with the smile ripped out.

It's kinda second best.

That's not to say it wont fulfill a niche as a decorative item for a record den but that's not it's primary function.

ROD

• Helpful 1
Social source share

A passionate defence Nev but hard to get away from the fact that it doesn't play.

A chippendale chair with three legs, a first edition of "Bleak House" with a chapter missing or the "Mona Lisa" with the smile ripped out.

It's kinda second best.

That's not to say it wont fulfill a niche as a decorative item for a record den but that's not it's primary function.

ROD

i would agree with you if the chunk was over the whole playing surface rod but 90% plays fine...each to their own .if it were $100 i might have bought it myself if only to double up on profit as a sell on

Social source share

It's kinda second best.

ROD

But Brads soundfile proves it plays .... just not the whole song ..and if he sends it to Bob ,it might be restorable ??

P.s A dj might be able to slip it in a set while the floors rammed and get away with it ....

. about 11pm when people are half cut and dancing to keep from falling over :D:wicked:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!