Judy Freeman Hold On Info Wanted

Margo

Vinyl test press.

to be precise: one sided 12" vinyl test press on german RCA. Came with sound engineers notes why it failed to pass quality control @ RCA in Cologne. If you listen closely to a good quality recording you hear some sound distortion about 2/3 into the song.

test press is of the supposed A-side of a Blackrock LP that never came out. test press of the B-side exists too but is of no interest to soul fans.

Any acetates/dubs apart from the test press are bogus. My own 10" acetate came from the same sound engineer but was custom cut for me.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I personally think it ruins a great record. The 45 is one of the best tunes ever put on vinyl in my humble opinion, and you can't improve on perfection.

Yep i totally agree the released 45 is perfect.When i first heard the longer much hyped version it was a let down

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes it is as it was authorised to be cut (Test press complete with engineers notes) whereas the Acetates are just Dubs full stop! The test press has verification by the RCA engineers notes!

The LP has the engineers notes and was done by RCA, I don't and haven't doubted the LP test presses' authenticity.

The question I asked if you read it properly was about Benji's custom made acetate.

I doubt RCA gave permission for a private acetate to be cut.  Just because it came from the engineer it don't mean he had the right to do someone a custom acetate.  It's about as legit as any of the other so called "bogus" acetates that are kicking about, just better quality because of the source.  I think Benji has confirmed as much in his reply.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

What I tried to say is that there's only the one test press that is proper. any acetate/dub in circulation isn't legit. My own acetate isn't too but at least came from the same source. Chalky, do you think RCA gave permission to Ady to cut acetates of all the unreleased stuff?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

What I tried to say is that there's only the one test press that is proper. any acetate/dub in circulation isn't legit. My own acetate isn't too but at least came from the same source. Chalky, do you think RCA gave permission to Ady to cut acetates of all the unreleased stuff?

Benji, I wasn't arguing about it and wouldn't have mentioned it again if Steve hadn't steamed in. I don't care if you play it out or what you do with it, only questioned it in the first place as you called all the others dubious but not yours.

As for Ady, I've no wish to cast aspersions and accuse someone of doing something when I don't know the facts. I would presume with Kent having the license at the time to issue the RCA material they were free to do whatever in the name of promotion?

Social source share

I personally think it ruins a great record. The 45 is one of the best tunes ever put on vinyl in my humble opinion, and you can't improve on perfection.

I take it you know it's the very same recording, it's just the 45 fades out earlier.

Social source share

Chalky I read Benjis post to say that even his wasnt legit but in your post it could have been misinterpreted that you were talking about the test press not the acetate.

ATB STeve

I would have thought that Ady did have licence through Kent as Chalky says. I remember bumping into Richard S in Makro at the time of the Grapevine releases and he was saying RCA were a bit difficult when it came to licensing.

Social source share

I take it you know it's the very same recording, it's just the 45 fades out earlier.

Yes I do. You can only scream "hold on" so many times before it goes from crescendo, to bloody annoying. There's a very fine line between brilliant, and over doing it. To me the 45 has got it just right.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Chalky I read Benjis post to say that even his wasnt legit but in your post it could have been misinterpreted that you were talking about the test press not the acetate.

ATB STeve

I would have thought that Ady did have licence through Kent as Chalky says. I remember bumping into Richard S in Makro at the time of the Grapevine releases and he was saying RCA were a bit difficult when it came to licensing.

I did delete the LP bit to try and avoid confusion.

Aren't some of the RCA acetates real ones?  Didn't Ady have a mate at RCA he knew from early days in London, is that how he got in?  Will have to read the booklet again for the RCA CD releases.

Back on topic.  Must be just me but I'm not a big fan of the record.  Don't dislike it but can take it or leave it and agree with Phil the 45 has it right, the LP take just goes on too long.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Phil is right. To hear the LP take was novel and interesting, but it doesn't really improve significantly on the 45. As a record for playing out the single is fine.

Great soul record which the scene should be proud of rescuing from history's dustbin.

As an aside to the earlier question RCA was manufacturing styrene from 1977/78 when they may possibly have purchased somebody else's styrene plant.

If you think about it all US presses of James Walsh Gypsy Band demo I've ever seen are styrene and date from early 1978 (the issue I'm not so sure about, they may exist on vinyl too).

Social source share

If you think about it all US presses of James Walsh Gypsy Band demo I've ever seen are styrene and date from early 1978 (the issue I'm not so sure about, they may exist on vinyl too).

Both styrene and vinyl available of the US issue. I've only ever seen the demo on styrene.

Social source share

Back on topic.  Must be just me but I'm not a big fan of the record.  Don't dislike it but can take it or leave it and agree with Phil the 45 has it right, the LP take just goes on too long.

Never really liked it either, no matter what mix. That's the reason why I traded the test pressing. Don't think I ever played it out more than 2,3 times.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

each to his/her own...for me  ( and if you think back to wigan 74/75 ) such an off-the-wall record that went against the grain of standard 100mph stompers, its stood the test of time and found its niche, helped by the onset of "crossover"...such an incessant funky groove amidst pleading lyrics...not instantly understandable to most of us, back in the day, when we were too busy dancing, but with time as with most things, we've come to appreciate a meaningful story and this delivers one.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!