Soul Trivia

Guest CARL D

Nice one, I've subscribed.

Which Shandells is it supposed to have been?

Shandels

Shandells

Shan-Dels

Shan-Dells

Elainne and the Shardells

Shondells

What a mess!

No real idea Chalky. Geography suggests it probably wouldn't have been the Alabama Shandells, not if the group we're referring to played at Stony Brook University, which is on New York's Long Island. Given that location, the Shan-Dells, who came from the neighbouring state of Pennsylvania, could be candidates. However, the timeline for that group doesn't fit.

https://www.garagehangover.com/shandells/

From the info given in the YouTube comments, Dry Well comprised Bob, Ellen, Bill, Eric, and the individual who posted the comments, KramerC. He alludes that he was himself in the Shandels along with Bob and Eric - so that gives us three partial names to help identify which group it actually was. Then there is the spelling of the group's name. 'Our' Shandels only has one L, so that should narrow things down a bit. I think...  :hypo:

Oh, and thanks very much for subscribing to my YouTube channel :thumbsup:  

Edited by Russell Gilbert
Social source share

Shandels

Shandells

Shan-Dels

Shan-Dells

Shondells

What a mess!

No real idea Chalky. Geography suggests it probably wouldn't have been the Alabama Shandells, not if the group we're referring to played at Stony Brook University, which is on New York's Long Island. Given that location, the Shan-Dells, who came from the neighbouring state of Pennsylvania, could be candidates. However, the timeline for that group doesn't fit.

From the info given in the YouTube comments, Dry Well comprised Bob, Ellen, Bill, Eric, and the individual who posted the comments, KramerC. He alludes that he was himself in the Shandels along with Bob and Eric - so that gives us three partial names to help identify which group it actually was. Then there is the spelling of the group's name. 'Our' Shandels only has one L, so that should narrow things down a bit. I think...  :hypo:

I've had the above link to the blog in my faves for some time and knew of the time line for the group so was just wondering if it was them or another, highly probably another unless the dates are wrong?  Damn good blog though if you like garage, lot of related material to read.  All good stuff :thumbsup:

Social source share

Any excuse to post this.

Toni Basil - Breakaway...art video.And she was in Easy Rider. :yes:

https://smotri.com/video/view/?id=v16886249d62

I loved Toni Basil's Breakaway at Wigan, what a choon, but when I first seen the video to Hey Mickey, I loved her even more I think, what a beauty she is/was (don't know how she scrubs up these days) Edit: just looked her up on google images, looks likes she had a bit of work done if you know what I mean. I know she was heavily into dance & choreography too, she sure was a stunner me thinks, hope the sexist brigade don't object to this post, as it is obviously overtly sexist, but I don't care  :D

Aid.

Social source share

Here's a bit of (blue & brown eyed) soul linkage ....... think it qualifies as trivia .........

....... Kane & Able  --  "Life of the Party" on Destination ......

Kane & Able were Al Herrara & Artie Herrara from Milwaukee, they had been lead singers with Little Artie & the Pharaohs back in Milwaukee.

The track was produced by local promoter Joe DeFrancesco in conjunction with Jim Holvay & Gary Beisbier of the Mob (Holvay also wrote the song with Holvay & Beisbier arranging the track).

Not long after this threesome had worked with the Herrara brothers on their track, DeFrancesco suggested to Holvay that the Mob needed new lead singers. He suggested Al & Artie, who had gone back to fronting Little Artie & the Pharaohs. Holvay took on the suggestion, Al & Artie were approached and accepted the offer to join the Mob.

The new outfit (the Mob) went from strength to strength and made some fine records.

BUT for a brown eyed duo, Al & Artie (Kane & Able) sound real soulful on "Life of the Party".

I like "life of the Party" so much, I decided to drop Artie Herrera an e-mail to ask him a bit more about the track & his music biz career.

I actually got a reply ..... but it came from James Holvay (who wrote the song & produced / arranged the track) coz Artie still has such bad memories about an event that took place at the time he originally fronted the Mob (which was just after this 45 was released).

I'll put most of the info James sent me up on the Mob thread but thought this bit of trivia would fit well here ........

As Little Artie had 4/5 years performing / recording experience by 1967 when he was called up by the military, I asked if he perfomed (for the troops) while in the forces. 

James tells me that ....... your question to Artie about performing in the military is an extremely sensitive subject for him. At the time, Artie was the lead singer of The MOB and our whole show was based around him. Big Al played tenor sax and sang background parts. Artie was “the star” of The MOB. We were performing at a club in Milwaukee, Wisconsin called The Attic and getting standing ovations every night. We were on fire.

A few months prior to this, Artie had received a notice to report to the draft board. We all figured that the “medical deferment” he had been granted was going to keep him out of military service. He arrived at the draft board on Friday morning and in the afternoon he was whisked off to Fort Bragg, Georgia. Unfortunately for Artie and us, the military folks did not accept his deferment.

That night we had 2 shows to perform and no lead singer or front man.

So one day Little Artie was the 'star of the show' for the Mob and the next he was whisked off to Fort Bragg and taught how to kill Viet Cong ..... BUMMER.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Tamala Lewis was George Clintons partner and mother of his daughter.

The Parliaments sang backing vocals on "You Wont Say Nothing"

Source... ole Mr Clinton himself

Cheers Paul

You learn summat new every day, Proper trivia..... I used to think this was a guy singing, seriously

Social source share

Contrary to popular belief, Ellen and the Shandels did not record the song Gypsy before Dry Well. In fact, there was no group called Ellen and the Shandels.

The group known as The Shandels broke up in June 68, some months before the song was even recorded. Dry Well was made up of three ex members of The Shandels along with Ellen, who provides the lead vocals on the Dry Well cut, and another person called Bill.

The likely reality is that someone with the master tapes rereleased Dry Well's Lauren recording without the knowledge of the group and used a different name for the band. Essentially, Ellen and the Shandels on La Salle is a bootleg.

The original is by The Moody Blues!

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Timi yuro had a cat called Lulu (and i'm not even joking).

I'm suprised that she didn't call it Dusty ...

..... coz her & Dusty Springfield got to know each other when they both appeared at the 1965 San Remo Song Festival (Petula Clark was also on there that year).

BTW, Ben E King and Peggy March were on the year before (64).

I guess the San Remo Golden Strings were on every year at 'Festival Time' ..... :D .

Social source share

The original is by The Moody Blues!

Yes indeed, and Justin Hayward is given the writing credit on both the Dry Well and 'Ellen' versions. The guy who commented on my YouTube vid and claims to have been a member if Dry Well says that it was after seeing the Moody Blues do the song live in concert that they decided to record it themselves.

Social source share

Guest CARL D

Good friends with Kate Bush,and her fav' band is Pubic Image Ltd......apparently;-)

She actually sheds everything, needs a good trim below :lol:

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

Ewww! I don't know ... you boys :lol:

Hey Joan, Fancy makin a video ????????????????, Take No is the answer !!!!!

Grumpy was superb so many people made us welcome hope / Will endavour To make the next one, Bloody long way though if anybody wants to share diesel costs northamptonshire area its a cert.

Garry

Social source share

Shandels

Shandells

Shan-Dels

Shan-Dells

Shondells

What a mess!

You forgot to mention The Sandells from Cleveland, Ohio, as long as you're adding group names that are more than one letter away.

Social source share

You forgot to mention The Sandells from Cleveland, Ohio, as long as you're adding group names that are more than one letter away.

It's the 'Sh' that links the groups I listed, but I see where you're going with 'Sandells'. Then we're just one letter away from 'Standells'. Carry on playing the letter substitution game and it shouldn't be long before we arrive at 'Martha Reeves and the Vandellas'!  :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Last one 4 2day

Herman Weems (Detroit song writer for Ric Tic, Motown etc) was also an artists, he did some of the artwork for Parliament's album sleeves and stage back drops. Later in life when Brad opened his first shop, Herman came round and asked if he sweep up at the shop, just so he could hang out with people that loved Detroit music. He then offered to make the sign that used to sit on the street outside the shop. Then he went on to decorate the record boxes that still, to this day, adorn Brad's shop

Edited by Dave Thorley
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Last one 4 2day

Herman Weems (Detroit song writer for Ric Tic, Motown etc) was also an artists, he did some of the artwork for Parliament's album sleeves and stage back drops. Later in life when Brad opened his first shop, Herman came round and asked if he sweep up at the shop, just so he could hang out with people that loved Detroit music. He then offered to make the sign that used to sit on the street outside the shop. Then he went on to decorate the record boxes that still, to this day, adorn Brad's shop

OK important correction. Herman did about 30 signs for the shop, but the record boxes were all done by Anibal Gonzales.

Social source share

rod stewart was supposed to have played harmonica on millies my boy lollipop

This is a notorious porky.

Patrice Holloway was the lead singer of Josie and the Pussycats and Brenda went out with Willie Hutch when she was 14.

Grandma from the Beverly Hillbillies recorded as Granny Ryan on Motown.

Diana Ross and the Supremes recorded Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport (for an ill fated album called something like 'Motown Sings Songs From Around The World')... Bet THAT never sees the light of day.

Joannie Mae Matthews gave up recording to concentrate on promoting the careers of her son and daughter and their group - Black Nasty.

Sky Saxon, legendary loony front man of the Seeds, toured the southern states in the early-mid 60's as an RnB performer calling himself Little Richie - it's long been said that he was white - but is he the same one????????

My favourite BS story was that Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels were then group inside the Banana Splits suits - don't you just wish it was true!

Dx

Edited by DaveNPete
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

My favourite BS story was that Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels were then group inside the Banana Splits suits - don't you just wish it was true!

Dx

There is a soul connection though because Jimmy Radcliffe was a songwriter on the program.  Not sure if he was Drooper in disguise though.

Social source share

Sky Saxon, legendary loony front man of the Seeds, toured the southern states in the early-mid 60's as an RnB performer calling himself Little Richie - it's long been said that he was white - but is he the same one????????

Supposed to have had several singles as Little Richie Marsh but has anyone ever seen one?

Social source share

Guest CARL D

According to Imdb Ray Pollard played a bus passenger in a 1993 film called Me and Veronica. Not seen it, but an appropriate part to stand up and belt out 'i'm just a drifter. I go from place to place....' ?

Social source share

Guest CARL D

Growing up in Detroit, Jackie Wilson joined a gospel quartet called The Ever Ready Gospel Singers. Bet their batteries never ran down.......;-)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!