Slimharpo Aka John Evans Has Passed Away Today Address Added

hi, my friend of more than 40 years has passed away today after a short illness,

he's been buying and selling records for about 50 years so i guess just about everyone must have sold or bought something off him.

he was very knowledgeable about soul music,he went on buying trips to the usa on a few occasions, martin koppel was one he went to see.

we stayed together at prestatyn nearly every year along with other friends, i think he was happiest in the queen vic listening to R&B,

or going through the record dealers boxes,

with deep sorrow,

joe.

Edited by JOE TORQUAY
Social source share

Was he a member on Modculture a few years back? And did he DJ/run his own mod/R&B/soul night? If so he sent me a load a CD's a few years back for free, they were great and definitely helped me explore some great soul tunes. Even if I am thinking of the wrong person, it is very sad news. Please pass on my condolences to his family. Jordan

Social source share

Joe,

I am so so sorry to hear this, really gutted. Please pass on my sincerest condolences to Fiona and Calum.

Growing up in north wales, John was one of the old heads around who was always welcoming and friendly with us youngsters, as were the other stalwarts, Chico, Mark Speakman, Phil Blacknell, Chris Fenny etc. In the mid to late 80s when me, Mossy, Pete Griffin etc were mods aged 16/17 we started buying records off John having met him in the Tudor House shop on Lower Bridge St in Chester where our mate Dave ran the record counter. He always had amazing under-the-radar stuff that we hoovered up off him and then played on the mod scene. A lot were unknown at the time. I'm talking '86ish. He had loads of gold fania (inc Use It Before You Lose It), R&B and other obscure nuggets. He loved his latin - Willie Rosario etc. We used to go round to his house and stay there for hours just playing tunes and buying bits. It was a treasure trove!

It was only a couple of months ago on here we were PMing trying to arrange a get together for us all now we all live all over the place. He was such a smashing fella and we'll really miss him. He'll be up there now playing some boogaloo that's for sure. RIP John.

Rich

What a lovely post. Nice one Rich.

Peter

:wink:

Edited by Peter99
Social source share

I'VE HAD A FEW REQUESTS FOR JOHN'S ADDRESS SO PEOPLE CAN SEND CARDS OR LETTERS,

PLEASE USE THIS ADDRESS IF YOU WANT TO SEND A CARD..

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR COMMENTS AND ASIDES,

HE SHOULD HAVE WRITTEN A BOOK BUT IT'S TOO LATE NOW,

MRS F EVANS

197 DEGANWY ROAD.

DEGANWY

CONWY

LL31 9DN

Social source share

Ok. Still getting to grips with this awful news.

Hope Joe and others don't mind me publicly posting a PM John wrote me recently - his enthusiasm, knowledge and warmth as a human being shines through - christ on a bike. He always loved the lads banter so no sadness in this house! See you upstairs big man.

Rich & Mossy.

slimharpo

Tape swappers fav

Mint

100% Feedback

6 0 0

LEAVE FEEDBACK

852 posts

Event::Grand Hotel Llandudno

Sent 07 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

Hi Rich. Glad to hear you are doing well. It's over 25 years since we met in Tudor House! Remember all those sounds I brought back from Koppel's?! Did you get my copy of Bobby Valentin - Use It Before You Lose It? If it wasn't for you and the other lads I wouldn't have realsised that Latin & R&B was getting so popular. I kept in touch with Pete for a while and kept selling him some good sounds that became quite expensive. Last time I saw Mossy was in Prestatyn with Pete and some pretty girls he had with him who scoffed our teacakes for breakfast, well I like to live on the edge. The next Prestatyn do is March 8th and that weekend. The Vibrations will be there with the original lead singer. I recently read Keith Richards' autobiography and when The Stone 1st went to the USA in 1964 they were on the same bill as The Vibrations and he described them as fantastic! You should try and make it. The cost of the accommodation has gone up but is still reasonable IMO.

Keep In Touch,

John

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gaz thomas

hi, my friend of more than 40 years has passed away today after a short illness,

he's been buying and selling records for about 50 years so i guess just about everyone must have sold or bought something off him.

he was very knowledgeable about soul music,he went on buying trips to the usa on a few occasions, martin koppel was one he went to see.

we stayed together at prestatyn nearly every year along with other friends, i think he was happiest in the queen vic listening to R&B,

or going through the record dealers boxes,

with deep sorrow,

joe.

Hey Jo

This is hard Rich.

I am trying to find a few words.

I met J in tudor house one afternoon in the mid 80s.

He spotted a Mongo Santamaria lp that I had in a bag.

We started talking about music, and became instant mates.

I dont think there would have been more than a handful of people within a 25 mile radus of Chester who would have cared about 60s NY latin in 1986  

He invited me over to his house to chill .

We became good mates

He further edcucated me, and got me even more into collecting and appreciating old music.

and selling a few.

He was so intelligent, laid back, and intresting.

A genuine Mod

His trips to the usa in the 80s were epic for me

I dont think he ever came back with out anything on my wants list

I used to see him every Saturday afternoon when he lived in Chester

Then spend all night listening to my records.

I remember John and I having a conversation at his place about Little Willie John "im shakin" about 1986 when he introduced it to us.

He had loads of them.

John reckoned it was perfect, He was right, Ten years later it was a desired 45 and appreciated

Above all, he was not just a real true fan of vintage Soul, and a really good bloke

He was my Mate

I have been playing a few tunes tonight that we bought of him in the 80s

Bobby Valetin - Geronimo, original gold fania 45

Slim harpo - shake your hips - statesie demo 45 = this was his own copy that he ordered and bought when it was released

roger and gypsies - pass the hatchet seven b

Joe bataan - good feeling - gold fania 45

ray baretto - teacher of love - gold fania 45

Without John Evans ...... The 80s mod scene in our world would have been otherwise dull

He also got some nice blokes together listeing to and collecting amazing vintage, who have since become lifelong mates.

Bless you

You were so Polite

Such a nice person

It was amazing and a privalage to meet you

xx Mossy

Social source share

Guest MissHongkongfuey

Awwww  this is so very sad to read.

John was one of the first people I ever chatted to on here. I brought a few bits and we did CD swaps but his were far better than my rookie efforts!!

He turned me on to some amazing stuff and I'm gonna spend the afternoon playing some of the CDs he sent. I have a few folders in my collection titled... John Evans Majestic Mod and Hammond Monsters  and John Evans Killer R&B Selections. I'll hit those with a passion whilst remembering someone who was so kind to a newbie and happy to share his passion.

I'll be sure to send my condolences across.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!