Handbags At Dawn

ImberBoy

I don't know why northern soul continues to be this battleground.....It's obvious it went mainstream.......and denying it, well it's a bit like revisiting the Battle of Naseby every week to see if any of King Charles's troops are still there.....

This made me laugh Steve, nearly spilt my coffee over my laptop.

Social source share

Guest Byrney

Plenty good soul nights too Imber that don't turn into a circus.... Keep your curtains closed chin strikers, the circus is big business and gonna get bigger with the release of the film......

I suppose you're right Steve. Let's hope the film attracts at least some people who fall in love with Northern and have enough about them to, in time, look beyond the circus ring and graduate to the real scene that has kept the true Northern Soul ethic alive. It happened with some of the This England and Mod revival generations.

Social source share

If any of the indignant ones want to hear some quality rare Northern Soul sounds they won't hear anywhere else in the world, feel free to visit us down at the 100 Club in sunny London. I do get the feeling some people don't know we're here sometimes. Maybe I should promote it? :ohmy: But then it wouldn't be underground anymore :dash2: Though it is in the basement :shades:

I was just about to type.......When I used to leave my house at Midnight as 'The Pub People' were coming home, to meet Rob Leach to go to The 100 Club - I thought that was pretty underground.

Nice one Ady (whoever you are) 

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

Social source share

At Skeggy my wife was on the dance floor to Gloria Jones and a chappie in Kermit fancy dress was next to her handbagging; the distraction ruined the prospect of a good dance. Perhaps we the soulies are to blame for trying to broaden our audience; we advertise events as Northern Soul and then attendees make requests of the DJ's for R&B, Crossover, Modern soul and disco tunes; Handbags, high heels and short skirts on the dancefloor happens when DJ's try to accommodate these requests (yes I'm guilty of playing tunes that aren't northern at venues because of requests).

A DJ will spin about 24 tunes in an hour so the period where the requests are played reduces the time available for Northern classics these then get forgotten. New people on the scene aren't even aware of many overlooked classics and these tunes get forgotten and we get DJ sets that are too often same old same old.....

As a consequence The Olympics 'Philly dog', 'secret agents' and 'The same old thing', Sherlie Matthews - 'My sugar baby', Little Joe Roman - 'When you're lonesome' and Jimmy Raye - 'Philly dog round the world' to name but a few are left unplayed in the DJ's box.

I don't want people to misunderstand me there are some good R&B, crossover, Modern and disco tunes but are they proper plays at a Northern soul event?  

KTF       :elvis:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

At Skeggy my wife was on the dance floor to Gloria Jones and a chappie in Kermit fancy dress was next to her handbagging; the distraction ruined the prospect of a good dance. Perhaps we the soulies are to blame for trying to broaden our audience; we advertise events as Northern Soul and then attendees make requests of the DJ's for R&B, Crossover, Modern soul and disco tunes; Handbags, high heels and short skirts on the dancefloor happens when DJ's try to accommodate these requests (yes I'm guilty of playing tunes that aren't northern at venues because of requests).

A DJ will spin about 24 tunes in an hour so the period where the requests are played reduces the time available for Northern classics these then get forgotten. New people on the scene aren't even aware of many overlooked classics and these tunes get forgotten and we get DJ sets that are too often same old same old.....

As a consequence The Olympics 'Philly dog', 'secret agents' and 'The same old thing', Sherlie Matthews - 'My sugar baby', Little Joe Roman - 'When you're lonesome' and Jimmy Raye - 'Philly dog round the world' to name but a few are left unplayed in the DJ's box.

I don't want people to misunderstand me there are some good R&B, crossover, Modern and disco tunes but are they proper plays at a Northern soul event?  

KTF       :elvis:

Why play tunes you don't want to ? Why do you own tunes you don't want to play and most of all if the handbaggers get what they want played then who really is to blame for them being dressed like kermits dancing like twats .......

Just tell them to fook off to the local disco and play something you know they won't a like :-)

Social source share

Why play tunes you don't want to ? Why do you own tunes you don't want to play and most of all if the handbaggers get what they want played then who really is to blame for them being dressed like kermits dancing like twats .......

Just tell them to fook off to the local disco and play something you know they won't a like :-)

And what handbag are you favouring these days me dear old pikey lad? :wicked:

Hiya mate.

Hope yer well.

Peter

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Not like me to quote from the Bible but Corinthians;

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

The Corinthians? What label? Thought it was Freddie Scott 'I'll be gone' :-)

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Yep, remember Jo Wallace telling me she had some soul people in one of her venues once but they didn't like what was being played. They were moaning about the music I think, and so she went marching up to them, gave them all their money back and politely told em to fook off as only Jo can! :D:

I can picture Jo doing that Steve :lol:

Social source share

I attended KGH on Saturday night for my ten yearly nostalgia trip.  I must admit, a lot has changed in the ten years since I went to the 30th Wigan Anniversary at the same venue.  Although I’ve attended hundreds of soul nights in between, when I compare Saturday’s event with the 30th, things have definitely gone downhill in my opinion.

I can remember having a great time at the 30th, dancing most of the night, the DJs doing some great spots.  On Saturday I had to wait until the last hour for the floor to clear of the inebriated Dad Dancers, Grab a Grannies et al, and for the DJ to start playing some of the better sounds from the Wigan era.  To my knowledge, the DJ line-up was similar to the 30th, with Richard Searling being the notable absentee (although he was advertised on the bill).  Most of the DJs could have put a Wigan compilation CD on and I wouldn’t have known the difference.  In fact, their playlists could have been lifted straight from any of the latest epidemic of 40th Anniversary CDs.

It would have been nice to see the clips of the Northern Soul film that were being screened, but some over enthusiastic pensioner decided to get up and start "dancing" on the spot directly in front of me.

Maybe I’m just turning into a grumpy old bastard.  The one ray of light was the youngsters who were in attendance, who conducted themselves better than some of the “grownups”, and showed real passion and enthusiasm.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Sounds like the latest incarnation of Parr Hall, Warrington, to a tee.

I avoid, even though its on my doorstep.

Radcliffe is quality by all reports.

Prob my next destination of choice, now Lowton seems to be off.....(again) :-(

The latest incarnation of Parr Hall....I went to that.  I won't be going again.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Maybe the two scenes - Oldies and Rare will now respectfully part, each acknowledging the other whilst knowing its not really for them.  Pays your money and takes the choice. :thumbsup:

The Oldies crowd will have it rougher because the "handbaggers" will go and stay there. Two seconds in a Rare environment and they would be gone.

I hope ALL are welcomed with open arms (if they cause no trouble and follow etiquette) because I am always hearing its the friendliest scene  - so keep it that way...........I may not be at those events that greet them, but the ethos should surely remain :)

Hear hear. It would be nice to have some kind of clear demarcation between the two ( I know thats not possible before anyone comments )

After this last week or so I want to be as far away as possible

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Handbaggers tend to have their own sounds as well...they love midtempo.Just loving you...When We get there...No one there.They seem to go into spasms and hold their arms in the air to just loving you.Bob sinclair is big on the handbag scene as well.Any other handbiggies?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yep, remember Jo Wallace telling me she had some soul people in one of her venues once but they didn't like what was being played. They were moaning about the music I think, and so she went marching up to them, gave them all their money back and politely told em to fook off as only Jo can! :D:

Ah, I miss that girl  :D When we double decked at Soulgate she did similar to some knob head which had me rolling with laughter behind the decks. Oh and she's the only other person I met who had a 'f*ck Art Lets Dance' T-shirt in 1980 like me - its a Mod thing 

Edited by TheBigO
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Handbaggers tend to have their own sounds as well...they love midtempo.Just loving you...When We get there...No one there.They seem to go into spasms and hold their arms in the air to just loving you.Bob sinclair is big on the handbag scene as well.Any other handbiggies?

Because Of You - Jackie Wilson

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Ah, I miss that girl  :D When we double decked at Soulgate she did similar to some knob head which had me rolling with laughter behind the decks. Oh and she's the only other person I met who had a 'f*ck Art Lets Dance' T-shirt in 1980 like me - its a Mod thing 

It's a Stiff thing you mean.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Made me laugh out loud Wiggy :) I do have to own up to liking 'No one there', and not being averse to Bob Sinclair either.... no hope for me then lol

Social source share

I can remember Jo chasing someone out of TOS when they crashed into the decks, she's a legend, and a great DJ  :thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest scottie

remember once at morecambe a women in stilletos brought her heel down on my ankle,swelled up like a bloody balloon.ever since had a pathological hatred of high heels on the dance floor

Social source share

Is there an independent and objective review of the Butlin's weekender anywhere? I was meant to be on but it clashed with my future son-in-law's stag do.

Great Ady, your street cred has just shot back up!! :lol: :lol:

BTW like Brownie, they can't spell your name correctly  either....

Social source share

Get on with what exactly ? accepting the lowest common denominator , accepting the missrepresentation of a much broader scene that the media and time warp soulies deny the existance of ,

Sorry Krissi but I do disagree with you now and I do fu''ing care  I do give a shit and I do give a toss and I come from Stockport   :g:

Isn't stockport, runcorn etc mildly posh? a world away from hovis ad townscapes, right? I guess those stiletto teetering handbaggers are bored broker's wives airing a totally different kind of bloomer of a saturday?  

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Isn't stockport, runcorn etc mildly posh? a world away from hovis ad townscapes, right? I guess those stiletto teetering handbaggers are bored broker's wives airing a totally different kind of bloomer of a saturday?  

Stockport town is pretty much like the other Manchester "satellite" towns, but some of the suburbs and bordering villages are pretty up market and occupied by the "Cheshire Set".  

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Stockport town is pretty much like the other Manchester "satellite" towns, but some of the suburbs and bordering villages are pretty up market and occupied by the "Cheshire Set".

Nowt wrong with the Cheshire Set, I'm part of that, I live in Crewe !!! LOL

Ps :- There are more Bentley's in Crewe than anywhere in the world !!!

Edited by Brav
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Green and Pleasant Land.......My A*re  :lol:

You Ok Bud ??

Yes mate doing just fine and hope you are.

Just the same in Rochdale with the Lancashire Set !!! LOL as I know your part of it !!!

Take care mate and don't let them drag you down

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

Maybe the two scenes - Oldies and Rare will now respectfully part, each acknowledging the other whilst knowing its not really for them.  Pays your money and takes the choice. :thumbsup:

The Oldies crowd will have it rougher because the "handbaggers" will go and stay there. Two seconds in a Rare environment and they would be gone.

I hope ALL are welcomed with open arms (if they cause no trouble and follow etiquette) because I am always hearing its the friendliest scene  - so keep it that way...........I may not be at those events that greet them, but the ethos should surely remain :)

out of all the arguments and back and forths on this subject particularly over the last week or so this surely has to be the most sensible comment made to date and I salute you

Edited by Andy Kempster
Social source share

Gets quite/very posh just a stones throw from Stockport, in fact, all the real money is South Manchester, but not Stockport itself.

Runcorn, completely separate, only good thing bout Runcorn is the road out (Bar Grumpy Soul), the mice throw themselves on the traps in Runcorn.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

''f*ck Art Lets Dance' T-shirt in 1980 like me - its a Mod thing'

indeed it is & memories of The Name , 79 mod band and title of their 1st 45 scheduled for release on Virgin's Din Disc label in 1980 but then label put out as 'forget..' to get airplays - original recording surfaced on Detour LP 'Whats in a Name' - happy times

Edited by andybellwood
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Don't forget the forming of a circle and swaying from side to side to No one there,,,,,,,,,,,,, :)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!