Slightly Exaggerated Sales Posts

Pete S

Nev, there is nothing to stop members commenting on other members' sales.

There are comments on here about items on E Bay and John's auctions all the time.

The only thing I do ask is that you don't do it on the actual ad as it tends to de-rail and "bump" the ad.

The seller would then be entitled to feel hard done by.

Otherwise pricing is open for discussion.

ROD

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Not had any problems with sellers on SS, but having said that i don't go for what i would call high price items (me being a Scot probably doesn't help LOL). and if i contact them with what i think is a fair offer it has normally been accepted. That said i do agree with Pete that some things are priced higher than i would expect them to be, but i also agree that the deal is between the seller and the buyer, and if the buyer offers to pay what i or others might think is over the odds then that is there own fault, or on the other hand if the item in question does not sell then it's up to the seller as to whether he wants to keep the price up (and keep it) or lower the price and sell it.

Social source share

Nev, there is nothing to stop members commenting on other members' sales.

There are comments on here about items on E Bay and John's auctions all the time.

The only thing I do ask is that you don't do it on the actual ad as it tends to de-rail and "bump" the ad.

The seller would then be entitled to feel hard done by.

Otherwise pricing is open for discussion.

ROD

Commenting on manship auction is totally different Rod, he's not selling anything, it's an auction.

I used to enjoy reading John's posts and unlike some dealers, he actually did make a very good contribution on this site.

Our loss is Facebook's gain though.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I am not grumpy, I haven't been grumpy for a good 5 weeks now since I went back on Prozac, I am Mr f*cking Happy  :yes:

apart from the fact I had a blood test today and they couldn't find a vein so I've got an arm like a pincushion, and our new dog bit my missus so she spent most of the day in A&E, and Grace won't eat anything...

your dog bit the mrs pete , can i borrow it  :wicked:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

People selling records are all very different in what they know and what they want out of it.

Some people don't know the price of every record, or the current market value of certain records.

As an example, other people aren't necessarily great at judging or describing condition - which is very subjective anyway, even with a detailed guide - and some folk don't want to, or don't have the time to provide much information to potential buyers.

Turning over money is obviously very important to certain people, especially those where record sales are part of their regular income. Some other folk are very happy to sit on a record until the right person comes along willing to pay the asking price.

It strikes me that it is very much like any other collector-based market (e.g. antiques) with a real mixture of different people right from from professional dealers, to those who are just selling as part of a hobby - maybe to trade up or finance a new purchase.

This means there is not really a right or wrong way to go about selling records - especially in pricing them - because different people have different objectives.

I have hardly ever sold any records, going right back from when I started collecting as a teenager, and I have only very recently started dipping my toe in the water in selling.

Because this is unfamiliar territory for me personally, my current take on things is to try and test things out a bit, provide as much information as I can in the time available, and be as honest as I can (e.g. with condition).

Just don't think there are any hard and fast rules on this.

Cheers

Richard

Phew... at last an intelligent and objective opinion. 45s are exactly like rare stamps or chairs or paintings or whatever, they are subject to the market conditions prevailing at the time of sale. And yes, that might involve folk who are prepared to bid whatever it takes.

Social source share

Phew... at last an intelligent and objective opinion. 45s are exactly like rare stamps or chairs or paintings or whatever, they are subject to the market conditions prevailing at the time of sale. And yes, that might involve folk who are prepared to bid whatever it takes.

absolute rubbish, we've all been 'Objective' most of the above are intelligent people, I mean MOST are..

I think we need to get Pete's dog out more... I'm told he likes stamps especially....

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

I recently paid a lot of money ( for me ) for a 45, - no record of price guide or recent sales - I sold a few things to raise some cash to pay for it. 

I'm chuffed to own it - and don't reckon I'll ever be able to part with it. I could have actually paid twice or even three times its 'value'.

The thing is though: I paid exactly the value to me - so big deal if people sell stuff that in the opinion of others is overpriced.

I dont understand why anyone would feel that they have an issue with the sellers prices that are 'too high'. If you arent buying why ruin a sale. Hundreds might not want to buy but one person just might want that 'expensive' 45 as the right price for them. I suppose it might be a sense of wanting fair justice and the right prices for things but we wouldnt apply the same sales spoiling techniques in any other walk of life, why do it here?

Social source share

I recently paid a lot of money ( for me ) for a 45, - no record of price guide or recent sales - I sold a few things to raise some cash to pay for it.

I'm chuffed to own it - and don't reckon I'll ever be able to part with it. I could have actually paid twice or even three times its 'value'.

The thing is though: I paid exactly the value to me - so big deal if people sell stuff that in the opinion of others is overpriced.

I dont understand why anyone would feel that they have an issue with the sellers prices that are 'too high'. If you arent buying why ruin a sale. Hundreds might not want to buy but one person just might want that 'expensive' 45 as the right price for them. I suppose it might be a sense of wanting fair justice and the right prices for things but we wouldnt apply the same sales spoili4ng techniques in any other walk of life, why do it here?

what a weird argument. We shouldn't comment on over priced sales because the seller might get lucky and find someone who's desperate (how desperate can one be for a record, really? It's not the same desperation someone starving to death feels I imagine) or ignorant enough to pay the price? Where would it end? I'm going to list this dog turd for £300 because there might be an insane dog turd collector out there who might just buy it, so dont ruin it for me, boo hoo hoo

You see this all the time these days -misapplied tolerance. Freedom and tolerance are good right, so therefore people should be free to do crap things and we should tolerate rudeness, scams and greed?

christ, its bad enough that we have to wade through pages of ridiculously over-priced records, shitty bootlegs and re-issues but we also have to quietly tolerate it too, in case we hurt the feelings, or the profits of the perpetrators!?

what shite. This is a public forum provided for us by people who care enough to do it. It's for sharing the love and knowledge of soul music, not a free listings site.

I hate that sort of free-riding and I actually think it's outragous that you are able to lock sales or wants posts. You want the benefit of the high profile of the site, take the possible criticism and scrutiny that comes with it or fuck off to facebook, where you can censor your image all you want.

How can you possibly 'ruin' a sales post?! If it's priced right and it's good it might sell, if it's not then it shouldnt sell, seems like a binary situation to me and people should have the right to encourage either of those outcomes, because it's right.

if you dont like comments and opinions, dont use public forum, especially if you're greedy.

at least one person only posts in sales and locks every post but no doubt leeches plenty of info from the site - from people who give freely. And I should care that they dont lose a sale? Come on...

Edited by penny
Social source share

what a weird argument. We shouldn't comment on over priced sales because the seller might get lucky and find someone who's desperate (how desperate can one be for a record, really? It's not the same desperation someone starving to death feels I imagine) or ignorant enough to pay the price? Where would it end? I'm going to list this dog turd for £300 because there might be an insane dog turd collector out there who might just buy it, so dont ruin it for me, boo hoo hoo

You see this all the time these days -misapplied tolerance. Freedom and tolerance are good right, so therefore people should be free to do crap things and we should tolerate rudeness, scams and greed?

christ, its bad enough that we have to wade through pages of ridiculously over-priced records, shitty bootlegs and re-issues but we also have to quietly tolerate it too, in case we hurt the feelings, or the profits of the perpetrators!?

what shite. This is a public forum provided for us by people who care enough to do it. It's for sharing the love and knowledge of soul music, not a free listings site.

I hate that sort of free-riding and I actually think it's outragous that you are able to lock sales or wants posts. You want the benefit of the high profile of the site, take the possible criticism and scrutiny that comes with it or f*ck off to facebook, where you can censor your image all you want.

How can you possibly 'ruin' a sales post?! If it's priced right and it's good it might sell, if it's not then it shouldnt sell, seems like a binary situation to me and people should have the right to encourage either of those outcomes, because it's right.

if you dont like comments and opinions, dont use public forum, especially if you're greedy.

at least one person only posts in sales and locks every post but no doubt leeches plenty of info from the site - from people who give freely. And I should care that they dont lose a sale? Come on...

(stands up and applauds)

that was a brilliant post...

and also what really gets my goat is, as touched on above, there are people who only come on here to sell records, they make no contributions at all to any debate, even when it's about records, they obviously have the knowledge as they have the records, but just leave it to everyone else - why?  And why are they allowed to just come on to sell?

Social source share

You see, this is what I love about forums when there are people who are willing to think and share their opinions.

Trouble is I can see both sides of the argument.

I always lock my sales posts because they can end up as endless off topic discussions. If anyone wanted to question my ethics, I would have expected them to open a separate thread.

Social source share

Why not just make it a general rule that if sales posts aren't locked they're open to comments

Anyone who doesn't want any feedback can simply lock them

Buyers can tell from the seller's feedback ratings whether they offer a fair service

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Agree with Penny & Pete , Same sellers Re-listing the same (over priced Records) over & over :sleep3: . There just hoping for desparados (with plenty of Cash)... Paul

there are guideline s on re-listing etc 

next time you see such 
ask can you report it so that the site is aware

thanks

mike

Social source share

Commenting on manship auction is totally different Rod, he's not selling anything, it's an auction.

I used to enjoy reading John's posts and unlike some dealers, he actually did make a very good contribution on this site.

Our loss is Facebook's gain though.

sure thats right Nev?

i closed manships account on here to protect this site

I don't like late nite  threats

• Helpful 1
Social source share

(stands up and applauds)

that was a brilliant post...

and also what really gets my goat is, as touched on above, there are people who only come on here to sell records, they make no contributions at all to any debate, even when it's about records, they obviously have the knowledge as they have the records, but just leave it to everyone else - why?  And why are they allowed to just come on to sell?

interesting points 

my view as owner is that the sales  was/is a member run/led affair open to all etc

does seem people are expecting more and more out of it as time goes on

maybe its time to take on a different modal ?

Social source share

Well i never used to lock off sales,i do now.Since the influx of posts ie: its shite,got it at Stafford for a quid when nobody wanted one etc etc.

I usually lock off after purchase as well.I leave the asking price up,of course this may not be the actual selling price.The reason i've posted is i take exception to the "freeloader" comment.You lock off a sales thread and are a freeloader,? Sucking info out and putting nothing back.?

Social source share

Well i never used to lock off sales,i do now.Since the influx of posts ie: its shite,got it at Stafford for a quid when nobody wanted one etc etc.

I usually lock off after purchase as well.I leave the asking price up,of course this may not be the actual selling price.The reason i've posted is i take exception to the "freeloader" comment.You lock off a sales thread and are a freeloader,? Sucking info out and putting nothing back.?

That wasn't what was said at all.  It was about people who post in sales but nowhere else on the forum. Half the time we have no idea who they are or where they came from.  It's as if they don't want to have anything to do with the rest of the forum members.  Don't think you fit into that category.

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

That wasn't what was said at all.  It was about people who post in sales but nowhere else on the forum. Half the time we have no idea who they are or where they came from.  It's as if they don't want to have anything to do with the rest of the forum members.  Don't think you fit into that category.

In that case ,i take back the post.I wonder what potential SS members,"Guests",make of all this.

Social source share

In that case ,i take back the post.I wonder what potential SS members,"Guests",make of all this.

How do you mean?

Surely if they are potential members then they'd be surprised that people join the site with no intention of participating in any other aspect of the site other than selling records maybe?  That's not what an online community is about.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Just to clarify a few points.

The site offers free listings really as a service to the members who are interested in buying or selling records. If someone posts regular lists of sales which members find interesting and attractive to the pocket then it would be silly to stop such listings just because the seller doesn't join in elsewhere. A case can be made for maybe charging a minimal fee to those who do that but though discussed we haven't gone down that route, as yet.

Whilst a couple of people have referred to sabotaging potential sales, which I find ridiculous, it is also equally silly to think that by allowing ads to be locked the site is giving free reign to "scams, rudeness and greed" . I'm sure some of you have noticed that the site has booted off those who engage in rip-off practices and others have been warned where actions were thought dubious.

The actual reasons why ads can be locked cover a few areas but "bumping" was a bone of contention for a while and by locking the ad [plus re-jigging the software system] the practice has all but ceased whereby each post put the seller's ad to the top of the listings. It still occurs but to a much lesser extent. I have to say I lock my ads mostly but I find it easier to respond to PMs which I see right away than having to check the actual sales thread which I don't always do especially if it's been running for more than 24 hours. The guidelines have always covered comments on ads. If you want to say something just open a new topic in LAYB. Nothing is sacrosanct on here.

There is nothing the site can do to influence prices. Only discussion on here can have some effect. I'd hope free listings would see reasonable pricing on here, say compared to E Bay where listing and final fees are payable.

Willing to listen to further suggestions that would improve current system.

ROD [Forum Moderator]

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Just to clarify a few points.

The site offers free listings really as a service to the members who are interested in buying or selling records. If someone posts regular lists of sales which members find interesting and attractive to the pocket then it would be silly to stop such listings just because the seller doesn't join in elsewhere. A case can be made for maybe charging a minimal fee to those who do that but though discussed we haven't gone down that route, as yet.

Whilst a couple of people have referred to sabotaging potential sales, which I find ridiculous, it is also equally silly to think that by allowing ads to be locked the site is giving free reign to "scams, rudeness and greed" . I'm sure some of you have noticed that the site has booted off those who engage in rip-off practices and others have been warned where actions were thought dubious.

The actual reasons why ads can be locked cover a few areas but "bumping" was a bone of contention for a while and by locking the ad [plus re-jigging the software system] the practice has all but ceased whereby each post put the seller's ad to the top of the listings. It still occurs but to a much lesser extent. I have to say I lock my ads mostly but I find it easier to respond to PMs which I see right away than having to check the actual sales thread which I don't always do especially if it's been running for more than 24 hours.The guidelines have always covered comments on ads. If you want to say something just open a new topic in LAYB. Nothing is sacrosanct on here.

There is nothing the site can do to influence prices. Only discussion on here can have some effect. I'd hope free listings would see reasonable pricing on here, say compared to E Bay where listing and final fees are payable.

Willing to listen to further suggestions that would improve current system.

ROD [Forum Moderator]

Only allowing so many posts per week.

Social source share

I think there is definitely a lot more joining just to sell, and maybe the site needs to look at that as to whether people take advantage and a bit of chancing it in there, methinks the minimum posts vs charging them some sites use might be beneficial. Or as someone else said limiting how many sale posts they can do in a period of time.

However I suspect the admin and legal implications and the fact lots of these people might not be that interested in anything other than a free service would need to be considered.

The impact of traffic on this may also be a consideration for you guys

Methinks its a damned if you do and if you dont sort of scenario.

Lots of people seem to favour selling on here though which is a good sign, although lots of people, myself included, moan about people who try and undercut the lowest of low prices. So some sort of electric shock aligned to their pm that can work out when they are chancing it would be a good addition, if not asking a little too much.....

Edited by jocko
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

You see, this is what I love about forums when there are people who are willing to think and share their opinions.

Trouble is I can see both sides of the argument.

I always lock my sales posts because they can end up as endless off topic discussions. If anyone wanted to question my ethics, I would have expected them to open a separate thread.

Phil ,I lock my posts purely and simply because I provide all the relevant info required .

I read and reply to PM's or emails from those who need further info .

I don't ask for debate and don't see its necessary ,but unless its a mega rarity that whets peoples appetites,I'm afraid all I've ever seen is criticism on prices and its not a pretty sight when the coyotes arrive lol

If they don't sell ,then I edit the list to encourage offers .

For one reason alone ,which is bumping ,IMHO sales would be better off locked .

Good night ,sleep tight :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Phil ,I lock my posts purely and simply because I provide all the relevant info required .

I don't ask for debate and don't see its necessary ,but unless its a mega rarity that whets peoples appetites,I'm afraid all I've ever seen is criticism on prices and its not a pretty sight when the coyotes arrive lol

OK so let's set up an imaginary scenario.  New seller appears, selling a copy of Too Late and asking £200 for it.  Someone posts "PM'd you" which probably means that someone who perhaps doesn't know that the record is only worth £50, is going to be paying four times too much.  What is wrong with someone coming onto the post and saying that the price is steep, in order to stop our less knowledgable friend being ripped off?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

OK so let's set up an imaginary scenario.  New seller appears, selling a copy of Too Late and asking £200 for it.  Someone posts "PM'd you" which probably means that someone who perhaps doesn't know that the record is only worth £50, is going to be paying four times too much.  What is wrong with someone coming onto the post and saying that the price is steep, in order to stop our less knowledgable friend being ripped off?

Pete makes a valid point here - I know caveat emptor and all that, but apart from checking Popsike (which includes often inflated and unrealistic ebay prices) and this site, I trust the seller to advertise records at the perceived going rate. 

Social source share

I understand your point Pete, but surely you could easily PM the person?

Social source share

I agree entirely Nev.  :yes:

Social source share

There is nothing to stop you and others saying that but if you do it on actual ad it may then lead to a discussion on the ad which will bump it numerous times depending on who gets involved. Some of those comments may be helpful and stick to the point but there have been such where I've had to split off as it meanders away from subject. That's why I suggest the LAYB option.

You also now have the "tag" system where topics linked show up at the bottom of the page so a topic in LAYB should have a direct link to the actual sales ad

Taking your example I may post along lines "looked at Popsike, could only find one goosed original"  and then we could be into why there is a dearth of originals on there. Not everybody may agree with your valuation etc.

ROD

Social source share

OK so let's set up an imaginary scenario. New seller appears, selling a copy of Too Late and asking £200 for it. Someone posts "PM'd you" which probably means that someone who perhaps doesn't know that the record is only worth £50, is going to be paying four times too much. What is wrong with someone coming onto the post and saying that the price is steep, in order to stop our less knowledgable friend being ripped off?

So are you suggesting we are all in some kind of club where we all look out for each other?

It's a lovely sentiment and as much as I wish it were true,it iisn't.. but then again I don't think people on here actually set prices to deliberately rip people off.

Some prices are top price based on one silly sale on eBay or manship auction .

But if your scenario was to happen and your the charitable type, you could pm the guy and tell him it's way ott.

Hypothetically speaking and if we all look after each other, what's to stop me from posting up a cheaper option, I:e another copy that's for sale on a website elsewhere?

Its dangerous territory, but then, I'm just replying to your valid point with my valid point.

Social source share

So are you suggesting we are all in some kind of club where we all look out for each other?

It's a lovely sentiment and as much as I wish it were true,it iisn't.. but then again I don't think people on here actually set prices to deliberately rip people off.

Some prices are top price based on one silly sale on eBay or manship auction .

But if your scenario was to happen and your the charitable type, you could pm the guy and tell him it's way ott.

Hypothetically speaking and if we all look after each other, what's to stop me from posting up a cheaper option, I:e another copy that's for sale on a website elsewhere?

Its dangerous territory, but then, I'm just replying to your valid point with my valid point.

Theres nothing to stop you, and I think you should!

Social source share

In essence the system is fine, but can see the arguments for and against aspects of the sellling, but would lean towards the unlocking of posts as it is a discussion forum first and foremost. I sell a lot of tunes on here, abiding by the rules that have been set. The vibrant and price competitive selling forum on this site is a positive for it's members, I would have thought? If anyone does have a problem with my selling on here please get in touch, as I really don't understand it.

Des

Social source share

Theres nothing to stop you, and I think you should!

I'm constantly reminded about how much of a "nanny state " we now belong to, so thanks, but no thanks, I refuse to on, the grounds ,if I can Google it, so can they!

Sadly Pete,a lot of people either can't be ar**ed,or are happy to pay someone else to do it for them..

Which reminds me, I just watched 10+ bidders,push a common record in vg cond to £83 ,I googled it and found one on a UK site in nm for £30 ...searched it on here to verify price and two copies for £30 !

So by rights there are a few people out there willing to pay £80 ,so what's a guy to do?

Social source share

know what you mean nev.

was watching a copy of lee McDonald / sweet magic / Debbie lp on ebay the other day.

went for £455 + P&P + customs fee(if buyer from uk).

all they had to do was google it & on 2nd page was my copy for sale on here @ £300.

they could of saved nearly £200,lol.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The "Pm'd you" situation.Why.? Sometimes it could be to make a sale...or to make an offer...or to warn that is over/underpriced and the vultures are circling.

Social source share

It's odd that people keep mentioning overpriced ebay results - in my limited experience, it's often the other way round - many's the time I've been tempted by a record on here and checked Popsike to find the quoted price is appreciably higher than any ebay result recorded. 

Cuts both ways.

Social source share

Yeah rich people who can afford to pay triple the real value of things and f*ck the market up for everyone else at the same time with their daft bids...

The most important comment on the thread "F*cked up Market" Irma Routen would be a good example as I was ridiculed for my off sales thread.

If it is about supply & demand then thousands of so called high price records should be £20 now because they are no longer in demand but some delusional idiot will still want book price! THose who quote its between the seller & the buyer "Would they pm a person and say Oh you have that way too cheap and I want it but I will pay you £50 more because you have too cheap. The market is in amess because of unrealistic pricing. I have in the past suggested a section for pricing guide but not many who want to exploit others would be in favour of it!

e.g. The Ethics I want my baby back - Vent issue based on a mint minus issue

We would have a poll for 7 days and then the avergae price would be applied- It would be a good guide for others when putting in wants or others selling! But Its just my opinion and nothing else.

Social source share

Oddly i've just been over in sales to see peeps ( including Pete ) talking all nicely about a record that is imho the highest i've ever seen a copy .. so i googled it and have found too many copies to mention and all cheaper ... oh and guess what ..somebody's pm'd him :yes:

And it ain't me ,so let's hope that someone has either  A)informed the seller ,it's too high ,

B)informed  the buyer it's too high :g:

Me, i'm staying shtummm and off to buy a load of cheap records :wink:

Social source share

Oddly i've just been over in sales to see peeps ( including Pete ) talking all nicely about a record that is imho the highest i've ever seen a copy .. so i googled it and have found too many copies to mention and all cheaper ... oh and guess what ..somebody's pm'd him :yes:

And it ain't me ,so let's hope that someone has either  A)informed the seller ,it's too high ,

B)informed  the buyer it's too high :g:

Me, i'm staying shtummm and off to buy a load of cheap records :wink:

I've not posted on a sales topic today?

Social source share

That was me, and I apologise if I caused offence. I didnt mean that everyone who locked threads was also free loading, just that at least one was.

I think it's really important for the site that anyone can post in sales, even if that's all they do, as good, varied sales should be encouraged - even from people who have no other interest in soul. But debate and comment should always be encouraged too. I know there are people who seem to think there's some point to posting things like 'it's shite', which is not something I get, and how these types of posts have pissed you off, but they probably should be free to do so until they realise that no one's particularly interested.

there's lots of times information added to sales or wants has been interesting and useful to buyers and seller, and it is a public forum after all.'

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

I hate that sort of free-riding and I actually think it's outragous that you are able to lock sales or wants posts. You want the benefit of the high profile of the site, take the possible criticism and scrutiny that comes with it or f*ck off to facebook, where you can censor your image all you want.

Weird?  - It's not weird. Sellers want their price, someone might pay that price, but not if people slag off what they want saying it's too much. Imagine hanging around a car salesroom and telling people looking at cars not to buy the one they think is too much. Imagine the looks you'd get - people would tell you to ~~~~ off. I think most would think that's weird and so doing it online is just as weird and could be seen as misplaced spite. Can't see anyone buying dog turd but weirder things have happened. Also - it is a free listings site, plus  - I'm not greedy, far from it, not nice you state that actually but I'll let that go. You don't have to care but for me I won't scupper the chances of sellers who think that the price they want is about right or even way too expensive. It's up to them not to have their shop window of sales spray painted and a brick thrown through it because some smart alec wants to bomb their sale. You should just leave it alone. Which is what I'm going to do now with this thread, unless I'm antagonised....

Edited by ian williams
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Most people build up the records on sale as rare as etc and people get taken in by the build up just look at the interest Manships had on the unknown titled 45(me included) but the end of the day the seller wants the best price available like we all do but some just take the pi-- and I feel they are ripping people off but that wont change and I don't mean this is pointed at Mr Manship he's been around to long and no's what's what as regard to selling and what is rare

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!