Tributes To Nige Shaw

Hi Everyone,

I thought Id start a thread to pay tribute to Nige where anyone who met/knew him could post up stories involving him or even just how they met him. His parents didnt really know all his friends so they think this is a good idea. I will print them off and give them to Nige B. at the funeral and he can share them with the family .(so, not too rude!) :yes:

I didnt know him very well but had a right laugh at Tina and Fudge's party with him where not only did we put the worlds to right, he played "I go to pieces" and we sang it along very loudly much to the amusement of Karl and Debbie Rhodes. We werent drunk - honest!!

Come on, give us your stories!!

Denise

xx

P.S. I have ok'd this with his sister through Mandy (Thanks Mandy)

Edited by Ganche
Social source share

• Replies 28
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I first met Nige when I was about 10/11 years old, he was engaged to Karen and my sister was engaged to Karen's brother, Phil. He was a "lad" then too :lol:

Can't believe 30 years on I still kept seeing Nige all over the place, be it at soul nights or even just shopping in town or the local pubs. Nige used to run a soul night in Stafford on a Tuesday at The Grapes whilst I was working as Assistant Manager opposite at the Apollo Cinema, guess where I was when the films were on :shhh: He used to threaten to go and tell my boss unless I had a dance as nobody else would get up, the fact that the place was empty might have had something to do with it!!

Lots of chats with Nige over the years about all sorts of stuff, the weather, my son, his children and his sad loss of Dom, records .. anything at all .. but always had a smile and some daft joke to give you :thumbsup:

See you later Nige, rest in peace mate

Mandy

xx

Social source share

I first met Nige when I was about 10/11 years old, he was engaged to Karen and my sister was engaged to Karen's brother, Phil. He was a "lad" then too :lol:

Can't believe 30 years on I still kept seeing Nige all over the place, be it at soul nights or even just shopping in town or the local pubs. Nige used to run a soul night in Stafford on a Tuesday at The Grapes whilst I was working as Assistant Manager opposite at the Apollo Cinema, guess where I was when the films were on :shhh: He used to threaten to go and tell my boss unless I had a dance as nobody else would get up, the fact that the place was empty might have had something to do with it!!

Lots of chats with Nige over the years about all sorts of stuff, the weather, my son, his children and his sad loss of Dom, records .. anything at all .. but always had a smile and some daft joke to give you :thumbsup:

See you later Nige, rest in peace mate

Mandy

xx

=====

was thinking about nige today and the pic of nigel and nige brown before his op

always had a chat with him at worcester ,talking about what our current faves were,what we were gonna play etc

genuine nice bloke and a great soulie,,

cant make the funeral sadly but my thoughts are with him and his family and nige brown

also a minutes silence perhaps at the Marrs Bar allniter where he was a regular dj

nothing but happy memories

mark 'fluff ' freeman

Social source share

i first remember meeting nige oddly enough at another soul bros tribute nite....me and him had some good times,,,and then some not so good times...but c'est la vie...i hope he rests in peace and remembers i loved him once upon a time....the eternal joker....the thing i remember most....is......

a young member of asda staff running for a supervisor after nige asked where the mothers milk was kept as he had been told it was best for you....so she went to ask.....

and again in asda asking the deli counter assistant..." WHAT DID THE HAM HAVE??? "....before it was cured ...what did it have..????

times change but you can never regret meeting someone...because in a way they made you the person you are today..and as much as we regret our past we cant change it....

give em hell nige

cookie blush.gif

Social source share

"Brothers in Arms"

In Memory of Nigel Peter Shaw AKA " SHAWY"

Born 26 September 1958 Died 15 June 2006 age 47

I first met Nige Shaw on a Saturday Afternoon in 1974 at a local Council Run Roller Skating Rink that has now long gone, in fact its now the car park in Stafford for Simsbury's.

I used to DJ there occasionally but it was just an excuse really to play me ever-growing collection of Rare Soul Records. I ALWAYS remember this cheeky young git with sparkly ice blue eyes and a mop of straggly black hair coming up and saying, " Bet ya aint got Sam & Kitty mate"

That was the start of a 30 odd year friendship that grew and grew till it became more than just friends Nige Shaw became the brother I never had. Like some people on the scene we never had any breaks away from it, its what we did, it really was our way of life.

We have travelled the length and breadth of the UK and more in our travels on the scene mostly together and occasionally apart BUT always in touch if separate.

Every body who knew Nige Shaw will have their own stories to remember him by (ive got hundreds) so I wont bore you with mine they are now stored in a treasured memory file in my heart.

Shawy will ALWAYS want to be rememored at your FRIEND, someone you liked and made you laugh and my god I bet that's exactly how you rememger him.

From the early days Nige moved on and became is avid collector of Rare Soul and eventually a well-respected DJ on the Scene.

In recent years he gave up wearing the usual clothing attire on the scene and turned to wearing extremely LOUD Hawaiian Type Shirts Baggy Shorts and Trainers ALL Year long and eventually even set a trend on the scene!!

He DJ d at the smallest village hall Soul Nites to ALL the Major All Niters and Weekenders he loved them all. His proudest moment of ALL came this year when Ady asked him to DJ at the 100 Club in Oxford Street, London this had been a Life Long Ambition to Nige and one that was for filled.

Nigel Shaw lived life to the full , he loved making OTHERS happy,

I loved him as a BROTHER and I ALWAYS WILL.

Already I MISS YOU SO MUCH BRO!

Never forget ya

Seeya when i Git There!

Nige Brown

post-1851-1151012497.jpg

Social source share

I met Nige in 1998 when he was introduced to me by Derby Jock Mick Moylan. We were running a monthly night at the Electric Club in Derby at the time, Nige was a guest on our second night and remained with us over the following year at the venue.From first meeting we had a close friendship which continued over the years, even though i moved back to Surrey in 2004 and have not been travelling far north since that time.He was a unique personality, great Jock and above all a loyal and trusted friend. I was so hoping to hear him DJ at Bisley this year, but as with my great friend Derek Allen, it's one booking they can't make in person, but i know he will be there in Soulful Spirit. My heartfelt condolences go to all of Nige's family. Nige Brown will i am sure, play many great Shawy tributes in his future gigs. Play one for Goldie please Mr. Brown.

DG.

Social source share

I first got to know Nige at the Aquarius in Hednesford, one night as I stood at the bar he ran past me shouting ''Alrite Mak, can't talk I've only just got back from Germany'' .He ran on stage did his spot, ran off again and said ''See ya I'm off back over to Germany again''.

Guess what I believed it.

What a star,

R.i.p

Edited by MAK
Social source share

My first meeting was with the "cheeky" Nige Shaw....

He had come up to Rugby with Fudge and Tina for Nick's birthday...

I'm still not quite sure if it was Nige or Tina that hatched the plan but between them, they had decided Nige was going to do a ten minute spot for Nick's birthday.... :lol:

They did ask me and my reply was "I'm sorry, I can't offend any of the booked DJ's by letting you join them in their spot."

Did they listen....of course they didn't.... :D

Tina came back to me and said "It's OK, Nige is going on with Karl Rhodes".

The thing is you couldn't be cross with Nige, he had such an innocent look....

I think it must have been his ambition to play at every venue in the country.... whistling.gif

Social source share

Although I had seen Nige out & about for many, many years & we had exchanged the odd 'hello', it wasnt until recently that we had become friends.

It seemed we bumped into each other all over the country, in venues both large & small, from, the North to the South of the UK, He was bloody every where yes.gif .

Our musical interests were very similar & his love & passion for the scene were second to none......................we had conversations that dragged on thru the longest All-Nighter & we put the scene & the world to rights on many occasion.

I havn't seen Nige for quite awhile as I have been living in the US, so I'm sorry I didnt get to say goodbye buddy.

My condolences go out to all Niges family & his many, many friends, but I know that if there is a Nighter in Soul Heaven I'm gonna see ya there one day mate :lol: .

'It'll Never Be Over For Me' & I know it will 'Never Be Over For You' see you later Nige.

KTF Russ Vickers

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

"Brothers in Arms"

I first met Nige Shaw on a Saturday Afternoon in 1974 at a local Council Run Roller Skating Rink that has now long gone, in fact its now the car park in Stafford for Simsbury's.

I used to DJ there occasionally but it was just an excuse really to play me ever-growing collection of Rare Soul Records. I ALWAYS remember this cheeky young git with sparkly ice blue eyes and a mop of straggly black hair coming up and saying, " Bet ya aint got Sam & Kitty mate"

That was the start of a 30 odd year friendship that grew and grew till it became more than just friends Nige Shaw became the brother I never had. Like some people on the scene we never had any breaks away from it, its what we did, it really was our way of life.

We have travelled the length and breadth of the UK and more in our travels on the scene mostly together and occasionally apart BUT always in touch if separate.

Every body who knew Nige Shaw will have their own stories to remember him by (ive got hundreds) so I wont bore you with mine they are now stored in a treasured memory file in my heart.

Shawy will ALWAYS want to be rememored at your FRIEND, someone you liked and made you laugh and my god I bet that's exactly how you rememger him.

From the early days Nige moved on and became is avid collector of Rare Soul and eventually a well-respected DJ on the Scene.

In recent years he gave up wearing the usual clothing attire on the scene and turned to wearing extremely LOUD Hawaiian Type Shirts Baggy Shorts and Trainers ALL Year long and eventually even set a trend on the scene!!

He DJ d at the smallest village hall Soul Nites to ALL the Major All Niters and Weekenders he loved them all. His proudest moment of ALL came this year when Ady asked him to DJ at the 100 Club in Oxford Street, London this had been a Life Long Ambition to Nige and one that was for filled.

Never forget ya

Seeya when i Git There!

Nige Brown

On behalf of the P'boro gang Nig make sure they pay the right price at that all-nighter in the sky.

Keep on keepin on mate

Social source share

First met Nige at the aquarius in hednesford 9 yrs ago. The gang i knocked around with all knew him...not long after i got introduced to Nige Brown. I then started goin to soul nites the length & breadth of britain with the pair of them, having some of the best nights out ever, week in , week out. Hadnt seen that much of nige the past couple of yrs due to him bein in weston...but the memories , good times and laughs will be treasured forever.

Rest in piece Nige...i will never forget you

Till we meet again

Daz Mc...xx

Social source share

Guest claude rains

I didn't know Nige Shaw, but I did a spot the same night as him in february at the 100 club.

I spoke to him for maybe a couple of minutes, during his spot and he seemed a nice guy, obviously very well loved by many judging by the response..

I find it really unsettling that people whom one sees and speaks to can quite suddenly be taken and you know you will never see them again.

The Dells "Make Sure" sums it up better than anything I could say..

Social source share

I hope that Nige was watching over us today and smiling because we gave him one heck of a send off. It was a tribute to him thathundreds of people turned up from all over the country and as Nige B said there was only him that could put a do on a Tue and get more people in than Andy, Chris or Kev could have at there Nites.Didnt get to Stafford Rangers because i got lost twice. God Bless you Nige, Theres a extra Star twinkling in the Sky now.

Steve

Edited by Winsford Soul
Social source share

It was indeed a great turnout from Niges family and friends, a tribute to just how popular Nige was.

All the speeches were straight from the heart, as they should be, and Nige Brown proved that even on the most difficult of days, he could stand tall and give his best mate the send off he deserved.

Well done mate, it is a task no-one wants to have to do, and few can do with dignity - you should be proud of yourself.

He'll be cussing you for necking his cider mind...................

Social source share

It was indeed a remarkable day yesterday. But then Nigel was a remarkable person, he has literally proved to be larger than life! He will have been chuffed to bits at the turn out and the send off he's had. His family could see how much he is loved and I believe they will take comfort from that fact.

Rest in peace my friend.

Social source share

Just like to say, Nige was a top chappie and always had a smile on his face.

We all have our own little stories to tell, but for now words fail me at the minute as still gob smacked.

Big THANKS go out to Nige Brown and Nige Shaws family for such a brilliant send off and everyone who attended.

This was a night to remember............

I'm sure that 'Shawry' if known in advance that he would have sold tickets, I know that he would be laughing at that comment know and come up with some funny remark.

You are sadly missed and I'll be playing some tunes at home in rememerance when you use to come around with the beer.

R.I.P. MY FRIEND

Shute

Social source share

At Lindas request I took lots of photos from yesterday. I've collated them into both a web photo gallery and also a wmv movie with some soul sounds playing as they flick through automatically.

MOVIE

Photo's

Social source share

Just want to add my own bit from yesterday too, to say what a great day it was, the turn out was absolutely fantastic, standing room only and that was outside too!! Nige mate, I hope you were looking down on us ... we were looking up at you!

Linda, Lisa, Nettie and Nige B - you were all so very very brave getting up with your little stories of Nige, lots of tears but also lots of laughter for a man who gave us both!!

Keep smiling Nige :thumbsup:

Mandy & Ryan

xx

Social source share

At Lindas request I took lots of photos from yesterday. I've collated them into both a web photo gallery and also a wmv movie with some soul sounds playing as they flick through automatically.

MOVIE

Photo's

Karen, well done, a fantastic set of photo's and the choice of music, perfect.

Couldn't make it in the end, work get's in the way! Nige will be missed up & down the country and I bet in six months time you'll/we/I will still be looking over our shoulder to see where he is.

Social source share

MOVIE

Photo's

Superb Karen. Pity i followed you after getting lost and you were going back the hotel :yes: before you went to Stafford Rangers. Never made it as you will have noticed. A journey Nige would have been proud of. :yes:

Steve

Social source share

Oh, I'm so sorry! I thought, as I'd driven away from you, you could have followed me to the hotel and we could have all gone back to the Rangers together by following my cab! Afterthought's are a horrid thing :yes:

Social source share

"Brothers in Arms"

Never forget ya

Seeya when i Git There!

Nige Brown

Never to late to say goodbye,i met nige about 4 yr ago through nigel brown,top bloke always a smile,a hand shake,and a chat,he love the scene and everything about it i will have fond memories of the marrs and his spot at the 100th club memories will linger mate you will be sadly missed RIP nige.

Billy

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert