Invictus-Hot Wax-Music Merchant Unreleased And Acetate Stuff

Ian Dewhirst

Sorry if a little off topic but....what labels these were....for about a year I had a standing arrangement with Record Corner in Balham to send me all issues on a sale/return basis...inevitably there was some average stuff,but most were very good or better IMHO,although quality did  decline towards the end of their output.Looking forward to this box set!

Social source share

a few years ago on ebay there was a collector liquidating his motown and invicitus collections and he had test presses (not acetates) that he sold of both labels. I got a few unreleased mowest #s I think. Maybe he didn't have invictus test presses but his collection was so complete that it seemed he probably had at least one. I can ask him if he did and who it went to.

Social source share

a few years ago on ebay there was a collector liquidating his motown and invicitus collections and he had test presses (not acetates) that he sold of both labels. I got a few unreleased mowest #s I think. Maybe he didn't have invictus test presses but his collection was so complete that it seemed he probably had at least one. I can ask him if he did and who it went to.

Well I have a couple of hounds that are hopefully getting back to me with their stashes, so really the more the merrier Bob. So yes please. The key thing here is really accuracy on details I guess, i.e. whatever information can be gleaned from the dead wax or acetate labels or any other info. If I'm gonna pay for the tape retrieval, baking, transfers etc, etc and maybe also get a few things that none of us know, then I'll need to supply them with some pretty concise information and even then it'll be tough.

Still nothing on this supposed unreleased Brenda Holloway album. Does anyone have any info on this at all?

Ian D  :D

Social source share

Ian pretty sure one of the Scandinavian guys had full collections including unkowns, can't remember name but maybe worth contacting Lasse to see if he knows more.

Immense labels, look forward to this

Yeah, it'd sure be good to have a proper trawl of the vaults armed with some solid leads. Anyway please put the word out, as the more leads the better. I'll contact Lasse and see what he can turn up.......

Ian D :D  

Social source share

Yeah, it'd sure be good to have a proper trawl of the vaults armed with some solid leads. Anyway please put the word out, as the more leads the better. I'll contact Lasse and see what he can turn up.......

Don't know which Lasse you're referring to (Lasse Bang/Bong?), but I think the scandinavian guy jocko is thinking of is LarsC from Norway, he's on SoulSource, here's an old Invictus thread he started:

Social source share

Don't know which Lasse you're referring to (Lasse Bang/Bong?), but I think the scandinavian guy jocko is thinking of is LarsC from Norway, he's on SoulSource, here's an old Invictus thread he started:

It was Lasse Bang, I am working on the same theory that English people assume about us Scots, that your countries are so small and friendly you know each other. :D

But yes it was Lars C and that thread I was thinking of, well remembered

• Helpful 1
Social source share

OK, I managed to snag 10 minutes today and get a first draft of a list together. Here's what I've come up with so far:-

Unreleased HDH Masters

1) Eeny Meeny - Invictus House Band You Tube Clip
2) I Want To Give You All My Love - Barrino Brothers You Tube Clip
3) What’s The Use - General Johnson You Tube Clip
4) Baby Doll - Eloise Laws You Tube Clip
5) Where There’s A Will (There’s A Way)- Chairmen Of The Board You Tube Clip
6) Well Worth It - Barrino Brothers You Tube Clip
7) Come Back - Honey Cone You Tube Clip
8) You Hurt Me - Dionne Warwicke You Tube Clip
9) Something About You - Barrino Brothers You Tube Clip
10) Too Far To Reach - Dionne Warwicke Acetate
11) Deliciously Yours - 100% Proof Aged In Soul        ?
12) Taster Of The Honey - Honey Cone White Label TP
13) Love Ain’t Gonna Run Away - Lee Charles Unreleased 7209
14) Bright City Lights - Satisfaction Unlimited Unreleased
15) What You Gonna Do About Your Love - Uncredited Acetate

Blank Catalogue Numbers

Hot Wax - 6905, 6906, 7101, 7107, 7203, 7304
Invictus - 9127, 9131, 1261, 1262, 1266, 1270

One thing that is intriguing me somewhat is this:-

InTheNameOfLoneliness-Ruben.jpg

I take it that it's an earlier Detroit version of this:-

Has anyone heard the acetate version?

Also I'm curious about the Dionne Warwicke connection? Anyone know the story here?

Edited by Ian Dewhirst
Social source share

Unreleased HDH Masters

9) Too Far To Reach - Dionne Warwicke Acetate

Also I'm curious about the Dionne Warwicke connection? Anyone know the story here?

H-D-H produced (and wrote several of the tracks on) her "Just Being Myself" LP on Warner Bros from 1973. That's perhaps where the recordings stem from?

Social source share

OK, I managed to snag 10 minutes today and get a first draft of a list together. Here's what I've come up with so far:-

Unreleased HDH Masters

1) Eeny Meeny - Invictus House Band You Tube Clip
2) I Want To Give You All My Love - Barrino Brothers You Tube Clip
3) What’s The Use - General Johnson You Tube Clip
4) Baby Doll - Eloise Laws You Tube Clip
5) Where There’s A Will (There’s A Way)- Chairmen Of The Board You Tube Clip
6) Well Worth It - Barrino Brothers You Tube Clip
7) Come Back - Honey Cone You Tube Clip
9) Too Far To Reach - Dionne Warwicke Acetate
10) Deliciously Yours - 100% Proof Aged In Soul        ?
11) Taster Of The Honey - Honey Cone White Label TP
12) Love Ain’t Gonna Run Away - Lee Charles Unreleased 7209
13) Bright City Lights - Satisfaction Unlimited Unreleased
14) What You Gonna Do About Your Love - Uncredited Acetate

Blank Catalogue Numbers

Hot Wax - 6905, 6906, 7101, 7107, 7203, 7304
Invictus - 9127, 9131, 1261, 1262, 1266, 1270

One thing that is intriguing me somewhat is this:-

InTheNameOfLoneliness-Ruben.jpg

I take it that it's an earlier Detroit version of this:-

Has anyone heard the acetate version?

Ian,

What about Honey Cone, and Barrino Brothers, from the You Tube posting 'More Unreleased Invictus / Hot Wax. Why aren't they on your list above?

Also, 

9) Too Far To Reach - Dionne Warwick Acetate

should read 

9) Too Far To Reach - Dionne Warwick You Tube Clip

and

5) Where There’s A Will (There’s A Way)- Chairmen Of The Board You Tube Clip

should read

5) Where There Is Faith - Chairmen Of The Board You Tube Clip

Finally, there's no 'e' at the end of Warwick.  :wink: 

Social source share

Ian,

What about Honey Cone, and Barrino Brothers, from the You Tube posting 'More Unreleased Invictus / Hot Wax. Why aren't they on your list above?

Also, 

9) Too Far To Reach - Dionne Warwick Acetate

should read 

9) Too Far To Reach - Dionne Warwick You Tube Clip

and

5) Where There’s A Will (There’s A Way)- Chairmen Of The Board You Tube Clip

should read

5) Where There Is Faith - Chairmen Of The Board You Tube Clip

Finally, there's no 'e' at the end of Warwick.  :wink:

What you do in haste, you repent at leisure etc, etc. Duly noted Denbo, however:-

1) Everything on the You Tube is on the list. I missed the Barrino Bros but have since amended. 

2) Too far To Reach - Dionne Warwick. I found an HDH acetate, so that's why it's under acetate.

3) I'm pretty sure they got the title wrong on the COTB record hence the change. I may change it back if I can nail it down further.

4) I've always had a mental block with Dionne Warwick for some reason. My humblest apologies!

Ian D  :D

Social source share

post-1773-0-33842700-1385569717_thumb.jp

Apologies Ian. I put the wrong title down on the You Tube clip. BTW there are eight (8) different mixes of 'Baby doll' plus several more unreleased Eloise Laws. ' Don't burn the bridge' 'I think you need love' and 'Easiest way to fall' and 'Well worth it' by Barrino Brothers.

Social source share

attachicon.gifChairman scan.jpg

Apologies Ian. I put the wrong title down on the You Tube clip. BTW there are eight (8) different mixes of 'Baby doll' plus several more unreleased Eloise Laws. ' Don't burn the bridge' 'I think you need love' and 'Easiest way to fall' and 'Well worth it' by Barrino Brothers.

Have you got MP3's on any of those Rob?

Ian  :D

Social source share

Yeah, that's the American spelling, what do they know.  :wicked:  :D  :lol:

Bullshit Denbo lad -you are as bad as that Dewhirst fella when it comes to guesswork :lol:

So, Dionne changed the spelling of her name to Warwicke in the early 70s on the advice of her astrologer who thought that the "e" on the end would bring her success. It was because Dionne was married to Bill Elliot at the time and the astrologer thought using the first letter of his surname on the end of hers would bring her success……of course it was a disaster and her Warner Brothers period was nowhere near as successful as her prior period….but there you go…..so after a few years she changed it back to Warwick. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Interesting Steve. I'm sure I read, decades ago, that she added the 'e' so that her name would have to be pronounced that silly American way instead of the correct British way! Didn't know she'd changed it back.

Hi Rob it's in her book "My life as I see it"….ATB Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

attachicon.gifChairman scan.jpg

"I think you need love" I have that on a test press its Invictus 9127 in the run out and I believe it's Freda Payne singing……will need to find it to double check.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!