What Do You Think ? New Topic For Values ?

Swifty

If your buying you want em cheap,if your selling,you want top money! And most ss members do at least one of them,so whether we will get a true picture,who knows! Worth a go though!

For me personally I just go for an average value on popsike,and work from that dependant on condition.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Was thinking formal , I know it's hard but maybe worth a try ?

or even a between it's worh between £ & £ if you know what I mean

Maybe after 10 Years we could have Soulsource price guide ( that'll fook some sellers up  :( )

just a thought after a couple of vinos !

Swifty :thumbsup:

Edited by SWIFTY
Social source share

No one person has a handle on the "true" value of things as is suggested above.

Different people buy and sell in different markets - sometimes very different.

Some folk only buy auction pieces from the most long-established dealers.

Others chase bargains, regardless of condition.

Blah, blah.

There are multiple markets - not just a buyers market and a sellers market.

Sorry - think I'm in a grumpy mood   :D

Richard

• Helpful 2
Social source share

i think its doable, but it be a mammoth task, and under taking. where do you start? how much space is it going to take up?

a great idea though, it'll be interesting to see what ideas get thrown up over the next few days.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I like the thinking behind this, BUT everybody has different values for different records. If the poster doesn't think that the first value offered is gospel and waits to get a few opinions in (as long as other people post) and takes the general consensuses into account it might work.

Social source share

Sounds good in theory. But realistically such a sub-forum will go down the "endless discussion" road. There's no such thing as "The price" today.

Benji's right - It will probably result in a longer thread than the OVO debate

Plus it could result in less records being offered for sale on here which doesn't benefit buyers or sellers

• Helpful 1
Social source share

If you ask on here you'll get an idea of how Soul Source members value a record (as opposed to various price guide books etc). If what you want is a true idea of what Soul Source members will pay for  a record, however, do an advanced search for it on the site and limit the search to the sales area.

As long as members follow the guidance in that part of the forum and leave the prices visible you'll get an accurate idea. Since the guidance is relatively new and some people are still deleting prices, I guess it will take a while to really build up to the point where it's invaluable, but it's a good start.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Some good ideas but completely unworkable, who would update it? it would be a full time job.

I sold records a year ago for double what you could get today and vice versa its an ever evolving market be it up or down in many instances.

There's also the condition which is a huge factor and lots not all, but many have no idea how to grade a 45 and that is a huge factor when taking your position on price.

Cheers Darren

Edited by BROWNIE
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

I think it's a great idea and don't understand why it should get over complicated.

I know valuations are all subjective but surely it would help people land at an informed decision based on other peoples opinions

Pretty much how a lot of people on here do things already but would keep things under one roof

and potentially reduce some of the exhorbitant pricing on not so rare or valuable records which are currently hiked up for no other reason than JM got that for it so in that case so should I scenarios

just an opinion but I would welcome it with my limited knowledge

all the best

Andy

Social source share

It's no big deal is it?  People ask for values all the time, I do myself.  Just put all the value questions under one topic, it doesn't have to be a database or an in depth examination of a particular record's history, just ask how much you ought to be paying for it and see what answers you get.  And not all dealers have an agenda, I can assure you of that, if they did I'd be quoting prices twice as high as I actually charge.  Sharing the knowledge and information, that's what it should be all about.  (This would also make it easier to comment on particular records in sales post instead of posting on the actual topiic, which is frowned upon)

not  makes sense for a new topic for each question, rather than a lengthy topic which would take x amount of minutes to go thru (and some have mentioned above)

sort of what have already got now ?

Edited by mike
re-read thread
Social source share

When members download tracks into Refosoul they could add valuation in box provided then any discussion could continue on that record ?

I just put £10 on "Out on the Floor"

ROD

yep theres a very nifty ( :thumbsup:  )wiki style  built  in  price guide in refosoul

also the comments on each 45 then get posted in the forums as well

I don't bang on about it much currently as its still an ongoing project

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I guess so!  I'm just against people who don't think we should discuss prices!

Discussion on prices is ok,its when sales are fkkd over.(got this for £1,its never worth any more etc etc).

Anyway asking a value still only gives you a ballpark figure either buying or selling.Its up to the buyer and seller to agree in the end.

Edited by KevH
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

.... do an advanced search for it on the site and limit the search to the sales area.

As long as members follow the guidance in that part of the forum and leave the prices visible you'll get an accurate idea....

You don't need it, all that is needed is for sellers to leave the prices on their sold items instead of removing and replacing with sold.  The site is fully searchable and any query would be found in no time with the most recent price.

I agree with chalky.

Can anyone please give me a rough valuation on this cloak of invisibility I'm wearing?  As you can see from above it's in full working order and in excellent condition.

Social source share

Can anyone please give me a rough valuation on this cloak of invisibility I'm wearing?  As you can see from above it's in full working order and in excellent condition.

Happens all the time to me.  Just have to shrug your shoulders and hope one day someone will notice.   :)

Social source share

I thought everyone had bought those wonderful price guides that the record dealers print up!!!! :lol:

Always thought they were a waste of money!  But at least the bootleg guide is of some use.

I use popsike and the best thing is just check the prices on sales lists and average it out.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

If you ask on here you'll get an idea of how Soul Source members value a record (as opposed to various price guide books etc). If what you want is a true idea of what Soul Source members will pay for  a record, however, do an advanced search for it on the site and limit the search to the sales area.

As long as members follow the guidance in that part of the forum and leave the prices visible you'll get an accurate idea. Since the guidance is relatively new and some people are still deleting prices, I guess it will take a while to really build up to the point where it's invaluable, but it's a good start.

Fair point Godz , never really thought of that , doh! Maybe it was a silly idea really  :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I thought everyone had bought those wonderful price guides that the record dealers print up!!!! :lol:

Always thought they were a waste of money!  But at least the bootleg guide is of some use.

I use popsike and the best thing is just check the prices on sales lists and average it out.

I use this equation

N = R* - fp - ne - fl - fi - fc - L

N is obviously price and the rest is no doubt self-explanatory.

ROD

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!