This R&b Thing ?

Guest Dave Ward

Guest Bearsy

I'm DJing at GoGo in May...come say hello and I'll play all your non-faves for ya....no dancing though, or pics will be posted!

Thanks for the warning  :lol:  if I've recovered in time I will try to make Go Go its a big fave of mine  :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Otis lee -hard road to hoe.   God damn awful record that somehow gets a full dance floor at a "northern soul" event.   Someone going to tell me its not RnB but northern or punk or something  :lol:

It's a blues record of course.I love all these r&b records but personally I don't see them as part of the northern soul scene...these were the records that Sandi Sheldon and the uptempo stuff were breaking away from.All of the r&b records wouldn't have been out of place  from The Wheel/Scene Club/Last Chance etc and are grittier.Mod music for people in skinny trousers and suits into the sixties style.Northern Soul ....it's not hard.Uptempo late sixties Soul based on the mid late sixties Motown Sound.When it goes wrong is when it's trying to teach old dogs new tricks.Now Capitol Soul Club explained the southern revivalist mod movement from the early eighties.....Shmon-Mr Dynamite,Im Your Breadmaker,Shake Your Hips,Don't Start Crying Now etc etc are the r&b records that they got off on and these style of records are what the Southern Mods took with them when the mod scene imploded and one half went soul and the other half went psych.Now the northern mod Scene pre Quad (which had been an ongoing movement and progressive)and before the southern Mod Revival were into the full on uptempo northern sounds....ie your Sandi Sheldons,Terrible Tom's,Joe Hicks etc etc.

Here's Bob Monkhouse from 73......when R&B was not on the radar for mods but northern soul definately was.

post-18577-0-38623200-1393977305_thumb.j

Edited by wiggyflat
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

So, see you all down at the R&B sessions in the Redemption Room this coming weekend at Prestatyn then?  :wicked:  :D  :thumbsup:

So just another northern soul room under a different title  :wicked:  :lol:

Social source share

6 pages on and I'm not sure the original poster (Dave Ward) ever came back after his first post.....

Apologies if I missed another post......otherwise looks like we've all been sucked in again? :lol:

PS Ray Agee is an. R&B record...end of chat

Edited by Mace
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest penny

What? They wrote a tune, hired an arranger and singer and then they spent

studio time and pressed up the record in order to create future rarity...?

No, they pressed 1000 copies with the hope of selling a million.

Social source share

Are you saying that is or it isn't. Confused of Edinburgh.

Hi Jocko,

I meant 'I'm Gone'.......away from the computer, as it seems real life was happening just outside my front door........I must have forgot it would make no sense! :D 

But back to 'this'.......'I'm Gone' IS Northern Soul - WITH BELLS ON!.........(Ahem.......just so ya know) :wink: 

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

Social source share

R&B is just another label we have given to certain tunes. Like every other genre of this music, we will never agree on what constitutes a good or bad tune. Beauty is in the ear of the beholder. It just seems that most of you are a bit mutton jeff.  :lol:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Mr Faye

i'm still young on the scene (18), but i feel that r&b is the way forward now...more and more young people are liking their r&b. I'm going to nights every weekend (atleast two) and on the scene it seems that alot of the northern fans look down on the r&b side...but i really do believe it's where the sounds are heading. The northern will always stay...but more r&b is getting played out now, and the kids are enjoying it, besides, it's us that have to keep the scene alive :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr_Mhvc4OTE

Aaron

Social source share

i'm still young on the scene (18), but i feel that r&b is the way forward now...more and more young people are liking their r&b. I'm going to nights every weekend (atleast two) and on the scene it seems that alot of the northern fans look down on the r&b side...but i really do believe it's where the sounds are heading. The northern will always stay...but more r&b is getting played out now, and the kids are enjoying it, besides, it's us that have to keep the scene alive :thumbsup:

Aaron

But this music (Ruth Brown) has nothing to do with Northern Soul, you might as well just call them Rhythm & Blues nights and take NS out of the equation altogether.  Different planet.  If that's what the younger people are into, then there will be no Northern Soul Scene in 10 years time.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Mr Faye

But this music (Ruth Brown) has nothing to do with Northern Soul, you might as well just call them Rhythm & Blues nights and take NS out of the equation altogether.  Different planet.  If that's what the younger people are into, then there will be no Northern Soul Scene in 10 years time.

I'm not saying that, the northern side will always be there, but i was just saying that more and more r&b is getting played out at northern nights. I still love my northern, and i love my r&b...and so do alot of the other kids my age. Nothing wrong with say, one DJ at a nighter playing a set of r&b at a northern do...i'm just explaining how i see it now... :yes:

Aaron

Social source share

I'm not saying that, the northern side will always be there, but i was just saying that more and more r&b is getting played out at northern nights. I still love my northern, and i love my r&b...and so do alot of the other kids my age. Nothing wrong with say, one DJ at a nighter playing a set of r&b at a northern do...i'm just explaining how i see it now... :yes:

Aaron

I understand, but why not just play it at an R&B do?  This is what I'm not quite getting. If we want to go out and hear Northern Soul - why not play Northern Soul?

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Why don't you create your own scene if you want to hear more RnB and then you won't have to shoulder the burden of keeping the Northern/Rare soul scene alive at such a young age   :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Aaron

yes i like urban rnb :)
Social source share

I don't think young Mr. Faye was saying that what he likes has anything to do with Northern, except to say that it was perhaps via the Northern scene that he got into R&B. It sounds like he now goes to R&B nights only, cos that's what he likes. He's just making an observation as to how he sees things, whilst pointing out that he thinks Northern fans look down on the R&B crowd, by the sound of it wrongly in his view. I thought his comments were quite valid to this raging debate and very well put for such a young lad.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Calling all promoters. Can we please have  across the  board music at a allnighter . Without calling it this or that

Go on I dare you. Steve

I agree whole heartedly, but can we also NOT call what is played at this event 'Across the Board'. 

A one room All Nighter playing vintage soulful dance music from across the decades with the emphasis on the 6ts & 7ts, but not excluding any decade or genre that has the X Factor, with an odd appropriate new release & oh yea, a mix of oldies & Newies.  

I think this was the music policy of virtually every successful Allnighter there has ever been... 

Why others now dont get this is totally beyond me...

Russ

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Aaron

Not if I have anything to do with it matey :wink: 

All the best,

Edited by LEN
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I agree whole heartedly, but can we also NOT call what is played at this event 'Across the Board'. 

A one room All Nighter playing vintage soulful dance music from across the decades with the emphasis on the 6ts & 7ts, but not excluding any decade or genre that has the X Factor, with an odd appropriate new release & oh yea, a mix of oldies & Newies.  

I think this was the music policy of virtually every successful Allnighter there has ever been... 

Why others now dont get this is totally beyond me...

Russ

.... A good point Russ but clarify big room all niter or I know a person who will be ready to piss on your chips....

Edited by little-stevie
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I don't think young Mr. Faye was saying that what he likes has anything to do with Northern, except to say that it was perhaps via the Northern scene that he got into R&B. It sounds like he now goes to R&B nights only, cos that's what he likes. He's just making an observation as to how he sees things, whilst pointing out that he thinks Northern fans look down on the R&B crowd, by the sound of it wrongly in his view. I thought his comments were quite valid to this raging debate and very well put for such a young lad.

Are you his Grandad or something?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

.... A good point Russ but clarify big room all niter or I know a person who will be ready to piss on your chips....

Unless playing predominantly a certain type of oldie, I consider a big room to be 300 - 500 these days, I know that isnt big by the standards of times gone by, but by todays standards, if you could fill a one room Nighter playing a diverse mixture of soulful dance music, then I think you would of had a major result...not sure it can be done, but I would tip my hat to anyone that tried.

Best Russ

Social source share

Original post from Dave Ward - My last all-nighter was 1985, so forgive me if I'm off the mark here, R&B to me was cool, not Northern Soul dance music, but cool. Why is there this hatred towards R&B now ? I've seen photo's of people wearing anti-R&B T-shirts ? Is it something todays DJ's are pushing, that offends people. A couple of examples I could hear or look up on YTube, would help me understand.

......So Dave, has 'all of the above' helped you understand?........at all........ :wink: 

All the best,

Social source share

Unless playing predominantly a certain type of oldie, I consider a big room to be 300 - 500 these days, I know that isnt big by the standards of times gone by, but by todays standards, if you could fill a one room Nighter playing a diverse mixture of soulful dance music, then I think you would of had a major result...not sure it can be done, but I would tip my hat to anyone that tried.

Best Russ

Russ. That's what lines Winsford was run on. A anything goes policy by any DJ that was booked .play what you want. As long as it was original vinyl only. Why don't we have a debate about that.  :lol: Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Don't know why R&B is looked down on by some, has always had it's place at "soul clubs" to my knowledge......if the track had the right sound & tempo

Took my little portable cassette recorder to Bill Honey's in 1976 to tape some of his records from the stuff he used to play at the Wheel and this was right in the middle of James Carr, Shirley Ellis, Soul Sisters, Little Hank etc.......

(koko taylor - wang dang doodle)

Bill DJ'd at Whitworth Street late 60's, not at the R&B venue in Brazenose Street.

If the Wheel is (one of the clubs) where it all started and was R&B first, turning to soul as the latter genre emerged /was christened, its inevitable that there'd be a fusion between the two isn't it?

I think that the R&B stuff that got played at NS clubs in the 70's was cherry picked to fit the scene, whereas the current R&B scene is more appreciative of the whole range of R&B 60's cuts.

Call it what you like, I like a bit of R&B.....if I can dance to it like I want to

Edited by back street blue
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Russ. That's what lines Winsford was run on. A anything goes policy by any DJ that was booked .play what you want. As long as it was original vinyl only. Why don't we have a debate about that.  :lol: Steve

I was a regular at Winsford & DJ'd in the Modern Room on several occasions.  That was when Pete was at the helm BTW.

Russ

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Ask Len about my dancing :hatsoff2:

:ohmy: 

You dance how the h*ll you like 'young man' :wink: 

Yes you did dance to most of the tunes I played, and I am a little surprised at some of the tunes you have posted up - That's not a dig, just my observation because of this. Whether you like em or not though, doesn't come into it - It's whether they should be included at soul events.

Answer - No  

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

:ohmy: 

You dance how the h*ll you like 'young man' :wink: 

Yes you did dance to most of the tunes I played, and I am a little surprised at some of the tunes you have posted up - That's not a dig, just my observation because of this. Whether you like em or not though, doesn't come into it - It's whether they should be included at soul events.

Answer - No  

All the best,

Len

Does that apply to the other end of the spectrum as well?No 70t's & Modern played just mid to late 60t's only?

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share