The Nation’S Favourite Motown Song - Itv Documentary

Mike

The Nation’s Favourite Motown Song, a 90-minute documentary special, is set to air this summer. The doc will tell the story behind 20 Motown songs and will feature new interviews with the music label’s stars, along with footage of hits from the iconic artists. A representative panel of ITV viewers from across the country will vote on the songs.

full details via

https://www.worldscreen.com/articles/display/2014-03-28-itv-motown-special

good thing, bad thing ...

:g:  :rofl:

a mainstream thing

Edited by mike
Social source share

Good Thing 100%. :thumbsup:

Music at the core of it, not 'a scene', 'DJs', 'gymnastic dancers who hear nothing but a beat'. 

There'll be no surprises, but then it's a celebration of the labels success in reaching and entertaining a huge audience, the likes of which had never been done by a single record label before.  Berry Gordy, H-D-H, Smokey, et al..... what's not to like? :D

Regards,

Dave

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Got a telling off on another site for saying my personal favourite Motown related track was Battened Ships - Oddyssey.
Thing is Motown is a broad church so you have to include things like Called To Say I Love You by Stevie & Never Been To Me by Charlene.
Think Baby Love - Supremes might win it though closely followed by Marvin, Four Tops etc.
Be interesting to do a Soul Source version - Mike?

Social source share

Commodores - Three Times A Lady. 

Thing is with this types of songs even though they were absolutely massive in terms if commercial success, they aren't the ones that immediately bring the Motown sound, as most people would recognise it, into mind. The key word being 'favourite'.  

I'd wager one of the following may well top the list.

Supremes - Baby Love.

Four Tops - Reach Out 

Tempts - Get Ready

What?? No....

Martha And The Vandellas - Dancing In The Street

Stevie Wonder - Uptight!

Temptations - My Girl

Marvin Gaye - Heard It Through The Grapevine

Ain't easy is it? :g:  :D

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Got to think of this on 2 levels obviously.

Firstly which 20 will the programme makers choose? And then which of those will the erudite and discerning ( :D ) British public vote for?

I wouldn't mind betting that Endless Love wins or is very near the top. It ticks lots of boxes. Two for the price of one i.e. Diana Ross and Lionel Richie, the ladies love it, it's one of the later Motown hits so will hit a wider age range etc. etc. Even if not that one something by Lionel Richie has to be up there.

I can't believe Michael Jackson won't be near the top either with the Jackson 5 or one of his solo efforts on Motown.

Quite likely things that still get regular radio/disco play like Dancing in the Street and Heard It Through The Grapevine.

I Called To Say I Love You??

That would be my stab at ones that will be in or around the top 5.

I'll come back afterwards crowing - or with my tail between my legs. :D

Edited by MBarrett
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Polyvelts

Motown came up today on TV quiz show Pointless ! Got it totally wrong - always thought Cooley high was first Motown produced movie, apparently it's Lady sings the blues !! Aaarrrggghhhh ---- 100 points !!!!!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!