John Manship Auction Results 13 - 8 - 2014

9224_1sm.jpg9224_1sm.jpg9224_2sm.jpg
Various Artists Detroit Gold Volume Two

STILL SEALED!

includes The Volumes - I Ain’t Gonna Give You Up

Plus a whole raft of other impressive KAREN Recording.

30 years old and still sealed - all sound files wre lifted from the opened copy we have in stock.

This listing is especially for those collectors addicted to own their vinyl is “as good as it can be” condition..

Read back to cover - for contents and click sound file for quality.

If you just want to own those 15 tracks to play we have a copy on the website. MINT

Sorry, this item has already been won!
The winning bid was £ 84.00

9221_1sm.jpg9221_1sm.jpg9221_2sm.jpg
Combinations I'm Gonna Make You Love Me C/w The Goddess Of Love

The unsung genius of Georgia Soul Man Tee Fletcher again breaks surface with this his ultimate Norther Soul rarity.

Like all Tee Fletcher’s soul offerings, this too is a thoroughly exhilarating Northern Soul dance experience. Soak up the atmosphere as the lead vocal joyrides on a raft of horns, and his teammates support the session with rich harmony choruses.

THIS IS JUST PERFECT NORTHERN SOUL!!

Ironically so many “perfect” NS tunes are stubbornly RARE this one being insanely difficult to secure, currently only residing in the World’s top rare soul collections and a few Top DJ boxes.

So instantly impressive is this rarity, I had completely forgotten this disc actually hides another killer on the flipside. Down a tad in pace but still decorated in all the same irresistible qualities that brew truly stand-out NS tunes, again a lush vocal-group experience.

Two fabulous sides that have been, for most just a far away dream for ownership.

Condition is utterly FLAWLESS!

The winning bid was £ 2,484.00

9217_1sm.jpg9217_1sm.jpg9217_2sm.jpg
James Bounty Prove Yourself A Lady

Every week we try and keep those of you lusting after the real-deal Northern Soul classics in the finest possible condition, satisfied.

This weeks offering has again never encountered a Northern Soul turntable before, with the stock copy labels and the vinyl a strong immaculate Mint -.

This Golden Torch anthem that has been repro’d several times and causing some confusion as to what the genuine article looks like, especially when it comes to purchasing the promo copy. So no confusion with the STOCK copy presented here, with the label proudly showing off four different colours within the intricate “Compass face” design.

A gleaming copy, you could hardly hope for a better one, so click the sound file to be beamed back to 1972/73 to the All-nite amphetamine-driven dance scene to ogle the back-drops, front-drops, spins and all manner of acrobatics records of this calibre ignited, as early as the first 3 notes.

To find this almost virgin copy in 2014 is very pleasing indeed. 

The winning bid was £ 411.00

9227_1sm.jpg9227_1sm.jpg9227_2sm.jpg
Daylighters Oh Mom (teach Me How To Uncle Willie) C/w Hard-headed Girl

The mind boggles how Cris Blackwell & Guy Stevens actually acquired their incredibly diverse catalog of releases, as communication with Chicago in 1964 and small labels like “Tip Top” would have not have been as straight forward as one would first think.

But they did acquire this obscure sound that was just perfect to feed the mid-60s All Night Club Scene, the MODS and their passion for “Go-Go” styled dancing. But remains today another in a long line of SURE non-sellers and today more often than not an annoying gap in UK collectors label run.

Both sides written by Chicago stalwart Charles Colbert Jr., and produced by an equally familiar “name” Burgess Gardner. Taken from the heart of the Chicago’s southside, into the heart of England by two innovative and dedicated R&B fans trying to change the face of the UK music scene.

Their legacy lives on in the form of essential listing like this.. 

The winning bid was £ 87.00

9228_1sm.jpg9228_1sm.jpg9228_2sm.jpg
Roy Hamilton The Dark End Of The Street C/w One Hundred Years

An head-turner!

We have talked about the fastidious dedication of Dave Godin many times within these over the years. So lets talk about it again! A man who went the extra mile to craft lasting label and sleeve art for all his releases. A man who chose every title, A side and B with great care, usually driven by his own personal taste which as we all know was impeccable.

That vision of temptation staring back at you today, is only a small part of the legacy this British Soul pioneer left the serious record collector. Two hand picked sides and 60s pop-art at it’s most inspiring.

On this release Dave gives the UK Soul fan a taste of one of the last century’s greatest vocals, guided in Memphis by two of Chelsea Avenue’s most prolific studio creators.

Top sides is a killer version of the timeless Deep Soul James Carr anthem, the flipside showcasing a gargantuan vocal just strolling at ease with a simplistic but highly effective arrangement. In true Roy Hamilton style he gently builds layer upon layer until by the end you have fallen for his consummate ultra-silky velvet tonsils.

This 45 is the coming together of many people at the top of their game, Dave Godin of course being one of them.

The winning bid was £ 56.00

9229_1sm.jpg9229_1sm.jpg9229_2sm.jpg
Marvelettes Please Mr. Postman C/w So Long Baby

Condition, Condition, Condition!

You serial British Motown upgraders you won’t be chasing another copy of this so near perfect 1961 UK release.

The record that cemented Brian Holland’s indispensable talents to Motown but allowed his long-term partner Robert Bateman to take up work with various different labels; a huge seller in the USA but not England as it was before “Motown” was a recognized record label in the UK. In fact Fontana ignore all links with no reference to Motown or Jobette Music anywhere on the label.

With hardly any sign of handling or play of this 53 year old artifact, we’d advice the TMG OCD committed to perfection; you’ll be very, very hard pushed to find a finer one.

The winning bid was £ 130.00

9203_1sm.jpg9203_1sm.jpg9203_2sm.jpg
Big Frank And The Essences I Won't Let Her See Me Cry C/w The Secret

Bobby Scott matches Big Frank Murphy’s cavernous vocal with bellowing horns and copious male vocal back up from “The Essence”. Resulting in one of Northern Soul most impressive examples of “the Big City” sound.

From the first note it screams power, as the Tuba sets the tone, cleverly wedded to tinkling piano keys, The Essence chant “No, No, See Won’t See Me Cry” then Mr. Murphy himself throws his rich deep vocal into the mix, to make a NS marriage made in heaven.

So strong, so well endow this is Northern Soul you just cannot ignore..

Flip it over and Frank & the Boys go all 1964 Motownesqwue… with finger-clicking “Wonderful One” style Northern Soul.

So much more than just a “pretty Face” this eye-catching head turner, lives up to it’s gorgeous scan.. ..

The winning bid was £ 342.00

9212_1sm.jpg9212_1sm.jpg9212_2sm.jpg
Salvadors Stick By Me Baby

THE SALVADORS Heavy vinyl, rich green label FIRST PRESS. Do not confuse with the paler green label, thinner vinyl press from the exact same masterplate with the telltale TWO pimple visually flawed a-side playing surface LATER PRESS. Simple forensics dictate that the perfect press came first. The mystery lies in the fact, we do not know the length of time between this press and the later press. A day? A Month? A Year? more….?

You are now viewing the very pinnacle of Northern Soul collecting.. Universally considered the greatest piece of pure vocal-group Northern Soul ever crafted.

You’re on your feet at the very first note, adrenaline-stoked before the first blast of brass, heart pounding as you join the floor to the building, brooding, intense pleading vocal standing above the surging production.

TRULY THE ULTIMATE NORTHERN SOUL RECORDING

Unicorn-Rare, that until recent times the “Heavy Duty” original was totally undocumented on the Northern Soul Collecting scene; this is only the second time in my life I have encountered it, the other copy being far from Mint -.

NORTHERN SOUL COLLECTING DOES NOT GET MORE EXCITING THAN THIS.

Other than a light label blemish top left side A-side under “Wise” this copy is perfect! Vinyl is FLAWLESS and of course this treasure has never visited the British Isles until now, absolutely no DJ turntable outings.

Pulse quickening, hair-raising electrifying vinyl-euphoria… that only the very zenith of finds can trigger…

The winning bid was £ 4,800.00

9223_1sm.jpg9223_1sm.jpg9223_2sm.jpg9223_3sm.jpg9223_4sm.jpg
Sir Joe Quarterman & Free Soul Sir Joe & Free Soul

Considered one of tghe greatest FUNK album ever made, the sample soundfile will only go a tiny way of exposing what lies in the grooves of this monster ahead-of-it’s-time session that achieved sadly hardly any sales.

This is the excruciatingly Original 1973 Gatefold sleeve presented Album in super-flawless condition.

Check out the soundfile sample although determined FUNK springs from every track we have omitted his “greats” “So Much Trouble In My Mind” etc as you know them well. But to underline the albums rich-vein of FUNK the lesser know tracks are every note as good.

RARE FUNK ALBUMS i can’t think of a more convincing one..

The winning bid was £ 86.00

9230_1sm.jpg9230_1sm.jpg9230_2sm.jpg
Deloris Ealy & The Kenyattas Kenyatta's In Your Town C/w How I Wish You Were Mine

The admired California Funk Diva at her most overpowering!!

Movement inducing horns prompt Miss Ealy’s snarling vocal into a defiant tone, her mood becoming increasingly aggressive as the record develops; Her huge presence hooks into the rhythm, as she struts her way through with attitude and determination. Diva FUNK does not get any more potent than this flipside offering. As her and her girl-group backing ladies rip into the lyrics delivering total dancefloor essentials by the lorry load.

This is Street Level FUNK at it’s most-convincing!

The other side the company lead with, will please those of you who appreciate Soul-Crossover dance.. as the laid back mid-tempo again showcases Deloris’s impressive control backed this time with a more controlled Soulful horn arrangement.

Two great sides - one elusive disc!

The winning bid was £ 261.00

9226_1sm.jpg9226_1sm.jpg9226_2sm.jpg
The Old Mpressions Right On C/w Let Me Know

Even though “let Me Know” is a true masterpiece of 70s Sweet Soul harmony, we’ll lead with the highly sought after dance side, then let your jaw drop and your heart fly when you hear the flipside, a most-soulfully moving song would be hard to find.

The cultured vocal of original Impressions member Richard Brooks booms into the funky guitar rhythm and all his 20 years of previous soul crooning decorates this slick dance tune. Rich trembling vocal, with that light throaty growl on the higher notes, just screams experience! as the other band members purr away in the backing chorus.

Quality dance groove, total quality…

Flip it over and the group raise the bar of Soul music, serving us with an utterly sublime ballad; pulsating with pain, as the tormented lead vocal implores his lady to be straight with him. As he doesn’t want to be “…Blind, walking around in some other guys shoes”

Beseeching Soul at it’s most poignant - wonderful to the point of painting a vivid picture of a grown man, hands held open..pleading…clinging to a thread of hope, that his lady wants to stay and dispels his unbearable hurt.

Two totally Top-Drawer tunes, on a seldom seen rarity of pure quality.

It’s a must own…

The winning bid was £ 252.00

9219_1sm.jpg9219_1sm.jpg9219_2sm.jpg
Cody Black I Am Particular C/w I Will Give You Love

Serious about Detroit Soul?..then you most probably don’t own this extremely difficult to find 45 from one of Northern Soul’s most-beloved of artists.

The rarely if ever heard, unless you frequent the legendary “DIG DEEPER” in Brooklyn, New York where Top World Jocks DJ Honky & Michael Robinson flaunt their extreme rarities to a most appreciative crowd one a month. Topside is a typical Mike Hanks session; a frantic drum-propelled Motor City stomper, ideal for the sets of the aforementioned ,with those extra-psyched-up girls yelping a shrill chorus backing, as Cody uses all his vocal-prowess to keep pace.

Flip it over for a lush mostly “unknown” Northern Soul stepper, again incorporating those impressive Sisters adorning Mr. Black’s easy going crooning. Subtle trumpets build up the session for the ladies to interrupt at all the right times…Magical Michigan!

Only Detroit provides the collector with this style of chopping dance-beat, shrill girls for the skilled vocal to walk through. Blindfolded you would know it’s the Motor City, it is just saturated in all that the era cultivated..

Sadly now a lost-art, never to return - seek ownership of all this style as soon as you can…on real-rarities like this example, the price is only going one way..

The winning bid was £ 176.00

9218_1sm.jpg9218_1sm.jpg9218_2sm.jpg
Phil Terrell Love Has Passed Me By C/w

It is no accident that this label consistently crafted the finest 60s and 70’s soul the East Coast could provide. The driving force behind Carnival Records had already served his time playing saxophone with some the most respected Jazz bands, later backing up on stage some of the USA’s biggest artists and even having a spell with Motown as a Choker Campbell band member.

All that previous experience stood Joe in a good place to move Carnival up into becoming the premier Soul label of the metropolitan area. Boasting such groups as the Manhattans, Topics etc. The Carnival family blossomed, here is one of The Manhattans close buddies with the 2nd of two 45s he released.

Rippling with the Joe Evans trademark feelgood dance factor, enriched by a purring uncredited vocal group harmony back-up (Manhattans?) this is pure Northern Soul at it’s slickest.

But I also adore the overlooked flipside that seems to incorporate the whole Carnival household. A dreamy mid-tempo groove with Phil’s aching vocal cradled by the same responsive male vocal group and Carnival girls (The Lovettes) building layer after layer of divine Soulfulness. A standout stroller augmented by Joe’s ingenious use of strings & trombone..BRILLIANT

Two stunning sides from a label where we’ve come expect everything to be exceptional… this is, twice over!

The winning bid was £ 148.00

9222_1sm.jpg9222_1sm.jpg9222_2sm.jpg
Steve Jordan & The Jordan Brothers Ain't No Big Thing C/w If You Love Me Like You Say

The day Gerald Sims wrote this song for the Radiants little did he know he would open the way for quite a few fine cover versions; as the ultimate male dismissal of female rejections - as the song glibly shrugs of the “Cold Shoulder” proclaiming “Ain’t No Big Thing!”

Timeless classic that stands today as one of the greats - so before you stands the rarest and finest alternative rendition of the great tune.

Smooth Texas harmonies are beautifully shattered by an intrusively potent saxophone, that timely gatecrashes the session to perfection. Lead Jordan Brother “Steve” carries the lyrics with his gravel-coated throat from on height to another whilst his brothers smooth over the harsh delivery with sleek chorus replies. Superb vocal group Northern Soul…

Flip it over and tricky guitar licks embroider the strong bass line, producing a fine mid-tempo dance rhythm again enhance by Steve Jordan controlled soulful screams..

Two great sides over opposites to the 60s Soul dance scene, a rare 45 giving the owner the pleasure of “two” for the price of one…

The winning bid was £ 89.00

9220_1sm.jpg9220_1sm.jpg9220_2sm.jpg
Maurice Mccormick 15 Minutes C/w Reeall Deeal

Highly sought after San Francisco indie 12” in PERFECT condition.

Rico Tee’s 80s label “Solid Smoke” was dedicated to his first love Soul Music; but also turned a few surprise releases this one being one of them; With both sides pumping out 80s searing dance music delivered by a booming throaty vocal.

This is “Boogie” at it’s most imperative.

Flip it over it’s veers away from Boogie headlong into Soul; blaring horns add depth and style, with the fearless vocal again belting it out. An insane sax-break seals the “Reeall Deeall”

Two potent dancers, in astonishing “as new” ciondition. Until we lifted the impressive sound sample this disc was virgin-unplayed. Both labels are “as new” also.

The winning bid was £ 75.00

Social source share

Was the Big frank & the essences expensive? I thought it was a £150/175 record....I certainly don't have my finger on the pulse so could well be wrong...thank you.....Rob

id say the big frank is about right for a minter,but i would also say its tougher on philips!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Aaron Darcy

Here we go again! James Bounty is a brilliant classic, but I have never seen it go for anywhere near £411!!

JM doesn't need to win the lottery ' looking at some of the prices he gets every week , his auction site is his lottery lol

Edited by Aaron Darcy
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Without casting aspersions (is that right).............because someone says it,s so ........dosn,t mean it is so ........

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

have seen a title..........that was on johns and ebay, same condition ect ect,  at the very same time  ....johns fetched twice as much.........now l have to ask..........if l was buying that title   i,d be looking at both  sales  ....wouldn,t you?

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

BF on BR harder in my experience. Had and seen a few on Phillips although we can all say that about several records I suspect; some just seem to gravitate to a person / area and that can skew perceptions re rarity and availability sometimes. Dropped a bag full of b*llocks on that score over the years lol

According to Popsike, it's 3 Blue Rock for 5 Philips. IMHO Blue Rock also harder. Even though the Philips issue would be first apparently, the Blue Rock second then. But close in time anyway. What does the Blue Rock matrix read ?

Social source share

Salvadors - mind blowing... James Bounty - astonishing... Not everything John auctions commands ridiculous prices though and for the second or third week running, some items have gone for less than book price or what the consigner might have hoped for. Pete is absolutely right in what he says as we're now seeing common items going for stupid money to lazy shoppers who plainly don't search the internet and have no regard for the current going rate of readily available records.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The Philips copies I've seen/had actually were Blue Rocks with Philips labels stuck on over the top!

My Philips is not stuck-on. And the matrix matches the label prefixes for the Philips edition as such: PHW1-.... is it the case for the Blue Rock on the matrix as: YW1-... ? Then those stuck-ons Philips over Blue Rock labels should have the YW1-... matrix, right ?

Social source share

Don't think so , what planet are on.

James Bounty...£400

Salvadors...£4800

As I said, I sold James Bounty on my list for £150 a few weeks ago and I thought that was high, I'd have usually sold it for £125 but it was mint.

If anyone listed a James Bounty on here, on a list, on Ebay for £400, it would still be here next year.  It will never, ever, be worth £400 or sell for £400 again.

I'm just about to list a Taj Mahal demo for £300, Tamiko Jones demo £400, Terri Bryant demo £250 and Zu Zu Blues Band for £500, fingers crossed I'll sell them all  :lol:

if not I'll reduce them to £40, £125, £75 and £200.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

My Philips is not stuck-on. And the matrix matches the label prefixes for the Philips edition as such: PHW1-.... is it the case for the Blue Rock on the matrix as: YW1-... ? Then those stuck-ons Philips over Blue Rock labels should have the YW1-... matrix, right ?

Wish I could check, no longer have a copy on either label, but you could clearly see the red Blue rock label peeping under the Philips black label on the ones I've seen, and they were styrene...is the Philips one you have vinyl? Never seen a demo on either label...anyone?

:g:

Social source share

Wish I could check, no longer have a copy on either label, but you could clearly see the red Blue rock label peeping under the Philips black label on the ones I've seen, and they were styrene...is the Philips one you have vinyl? Never seen a demo on either label...anyone?

No there is no demo of that Big Frank & the Essence on Philips nor on Blue Rock. So no chance of either on vinyl. Maybe a Canadian copy will pop up !

I understand the thing about Blue Rocks copies being covered up with Philips labels if they in between some process to actually sell them on Philips. But the tape numbering under the catalogue number of the Philips is chronological (IWLHSMC 34872), Philips before is (34179) and the one after is (35355). While on Blue Rock the number before is (35245) and after (35248). On Blue Rock it goes between two records that post date Big Frank recording session !

I understand they could have left it in the can a little while before issuing it on Blue Rock and then later on Philips, but that would mean that the gap of release at Philips between those 3 singles was rather long for such a productive major. Still I always tought that the Blue Rock was first also. Not so important anyway. Just...

Edited by tlscapital
Social source share

Guest Aaron Darcy

Obviously the going rate...wake up and smell the coffee DUDE!

Wide awake and i have had 4 cups like Pete ' but still say James Bounty £150 tops

Social source share

Guest Aaron Darcy

I certainly would not sell my JAMES BOUNTY for anything less than £400

it will stay with you as long as you live ' if anyone in uk pays more than £150 they have to be absolute nuts.

Social source share

Guest Aaron Darcy

Same with the SALVADORS...it's a record you just would not sell

PRICELESS!!

I know  someone has sold one in mint condition but not for that kind of money .

Social source share

Wide awake and have had 4 cups today but James Bounty will never be more than £150

Paid £40.00 last year for mine, labels EX+ vinyl has lots and lots of tiny scratches but it plays perfect!

Social source share

Hi Flynny, my Big Frank & Essences has no Blue Rock label underneath….proper Philips black issue. :thumbsup: 

Social source share

Hi Flynny, my Big Frank & Essences has no Blue Rock label underneath….proper Philips black issue. :thumbsup:

Damn, guess the ones with the Blue Rock label underneath must be rare then!

:)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!