Auction Sniper Failed - Aaaarrrrgh

paultp

Some guy put a whole batch of records up about a week ago starting at 0.99c, one of them got caught in a search I had set up. I put snipes on them all and checked today. A couple had gone above what I'd bid and I won a couple for not much but about 5 snipes failed. :dash2:

I don't know if anyone else gets a feeling at the back of their neck that for no reason I can explain I am sure this seller's VG will turn out to be Ex. Can't tell you how annoyed I am. Auctionsniper cannot explain but have said I can have some free snipes (big deal!)

Here's a couple I had bid more for that failed:

This was to replace my battered copy:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15A-VG-northern-soul-Soul-Blenders-Vanessa-103-/261565880267

This was to replace the ones I keep selling:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/261565880187

I just know they will be in decent nick, so frustrating. :facepalm:

Social source share

I use a thir party software one for the Mac, never let's me down.

Important to note, some times when actions ending in middle of the night cos they are in the US, then make sure sleep or power saver mode are not active, because obviously it could take a few seconds to wake up the computer & by then too late.

On a side note, if it's decent software, then you should have a log that will give you the script history & you can see where & why your bid failed.

Social source share

Best of the lot is Gixen - totally free and has never, ever let me down

Cheers Pete, I'll have a look at it.

It adds to the frustration that the ones that went through OK were for things that were just making the postage etc worthwhile.

aah well.

Social source share

I use a thir party software one for the Mac, never let's me down.

Important to note, some times when actions ending in middle of the night cos they are in the US, then make sure sleep or power saver mode are not active, because obviously it could take a few seconds to wake up the computer & by then too late.

On a side note, if it's decent software, then you should have a log that will give you the script history & you can see where & why your bid failed.

Auction sniper runs on their own servers, I just put the items and max bids in. They charge next to nothing but make their money through using ebay partner links I think. According to auctionsniper, Ebay actually blocked the bids which is a bit worrying.

Social source share

Best of the lot is Gixen - totally free and has never, ever let me down

Totally agree Pete. Although last night I had a snipe ready to go on a want record and when i woke up this morning the snipe hadn't gone off. It turned out that Ebay in their wisdom had decided someone was trying to hack my account so put a block on my account which meant that Gixen couldn't snipe. I would have won the bloody thing as well!! I wasn't happy as it hardly ever comes up for sale. Where's the red angry smiley?

Social source share

ive never used a sniper,what is the point of it?

I use one as I don't want to get into a bidding war with anyone, I also have a theory that some people are attracted to records with bids on them, I also delude myself that nobody else will see the things I've seen so I don't want to attract attention to them (sometimes that is true).

It's mainly that I don't want to show my hand until the last minute, I might be over complicating things but I get some decent records at good prices using snipes.

i've been using automatic sniping since the late 90's and the best example of why using them is good was a copy of Deep Dark Secret for about 30 quid round about then. Someone the following weekend was complaining that they had bid and then stayed up until 2.30 in the morning to make sure that if anyone else bid they could bid again, they then watched themselves get outbid and the auction finish before they could react. I was asleep at the time, a machine bid for me and I didn't get caught up or carried away by auction fever.

People are more savvy now so loads of people use them and if they bid higher than you, then you still lose. Most of the auction action takes place in the last 20 seconds these days. Sometimes you win most times I don't because I'm tight.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

i honestly thought it guarenteed a win,but you may end up paying more than you wanted,and i also thought that is why some records have ended on a lot more money than its actually worth.

if i really want to win a record (and i never lose a bid),i simply bid this amount on every record within the last 10 secs '10000000000' its risky i know,but surprisingly ive never paid much more than i intended,so i suppose the point of a sniper is for those times i cant get to a pc on time.

Edited by dobber
Social source share

What upsets me more is, why are there loads of things going through eBay that I never see? Looks like I need to alter my search criteria as I seem to miss loads of good stuff.

ive noticed if you type in 'soul' on ebay.com it brings up more than typing in both'northern soul'

Social source share

i honestly thought it guarenteed a win,but you may end up paying more than you wanted,and i also thought that is why some records have ended on a lot more money than its actually worth.

if i really want to win a record (and i never lose a bid),i simply bid this amount on every record within the last 10 secs '10000000000' its risky i know,but surprisingly ive never paid much more than i intended,so i suppose the point of a sniper is for those times i cant get to a pc on time.

Thats exactly it's purpose - you make up your mind how high you want to go, place the snipe, then forget about it, in 7 days time you are often pleasantly surprised

Social source share

ive never used a sniper,what is the point of it?

Well to that question, I'd say, whats the point of bidding on any auction item & showing your hand until the business end is actually happening?

If a Ming Dynasty vase was up for grabs @ Christies, then you wouldn't bid two days before the auction has really started…same principle applies here I'd say.

Social source share

Some guy put a whole batch of records up about a week ago starting at 0.99c, one of them got caught in a search I had set up. I put snipes on them all and checked today. A couple had gone above what I'd bid and I won a couple for not much but about 5 snipes failed. :dash2:

I don't know if anyone else gets a feeling at the back of their neck that for no reason I can explain I am sure this seller's VG will turn out to be Ex. Can't tell you how annoyed I am. Auctionsniper cannot explain but have said I can have some free snipes (big deal!)

Here's a couple I had bid more for that failed:

This was to replace my battered copy:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15A-VG-northern-soul-Soul-Blenders-Vanessa-103-/261565880267

This was to replace the ones I keep selling:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/261565880187

I just know they will be in decent nick, so frustrating. :facepalm:

Will let you know Paul

I won it and wasn't expecting to just left a bid on it about 3 hrs before

always getting sniped so makes a change!

John

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Totally agree Pete. Although last night I had a snipe ready to go on a want record and when i woke up this morning the snipe hadn't gone off. It turned out that Ebay in their wisdom had decided someone was trying to hack my account so put a block on my account which meant that Gixen couldn't snipe. I would have won the bloody thing as well!! I wasn't happy as it hardly ever comes up for sale. Where's the red angry smiley?

How do you know you would've won it? Is there a way of telling what the winning bidders max bid was?

Social source share

Thats exactly it's purpose - you make up your mind how high you want to go, place the snipe, then forget about it, in 7 days time you are often pleasantly surprised

Also, you can adjust your bid amount lower or higher nearly all the way up to the end without you having commited yourself to a high bid where you start to shit yourself and hope you don't win it, or think b*llocks I haven't bid quite high enough but nobody else has bid yet so if I bid again I'll be bidding against myself and won't get the bargain I'm hoping to get....damn it!! Sniping does away with all that mental trauma.

Edited by pikeys dog
swearing - workplace filters
Social source share

How do you know you would've won it? Is there a way of telling what the winning bidders max bid was?

You're right, I wouldn't have known that, he might have had a million quid as his max. What I meant was, my max was quite a bit higher than the end result, so at the very least it would have pushed someone else's max bid a lot higher.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

That strategy will work brilliantly until you come across someone else with the same strategy that wants the same record.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Auction sniper works a treat for me. Never let me

down. I've won many a cracker at a decent price

Another vote for Gixen - never let me down yet.

I use esnipe, worked fine for over 10 years, never let me down............

https://www.esnipe.com/

I've used two of the three and they never let me down before either, it was the fact that auction sniper (which had always been 100% reliable) had failed that made me post this up.

Social source share

Guest newone

as we all had to change our e bay password, have you informed your sniper company of the new password, I use goofbid and they informed me to change it on their site, maybe the failed ones have not done this, just a thought

Social source share

Some sellers state they won't ship international and block bidders from outside the US.

If it's any consolation, I don't think you would have been pleasantly surprised by the sellers VG, sounds pretty cruddy to me:

VG VERY GOOD A USED, REASONABLE COPY. THERE COULD BE A DRILL HOLE IN THE LABEL , WRITING ON THE LABEL OR SOME WARP, CHIPS ON OUTER EDGE. THERE WILL BE OBVIOUS SIGNS OF WEAR AND THE POSSIBILITY OF SURFACE NOISE BETWEEN TRACKS OR DURING QUIET PASSAGES. / COVERS OR PICTURE SLEEVES WILL HAVE WEAR ON EDGES AND CORNERS AND WILL HAVE SPLIT SEAMS PLUS A DRILL HOLE AND OR WRITING ON COVER
Social source share

Some sellers state they won't ship international and block bidders from outside the US.

If it's any consolation, I don't think you would have been pleasantly surprised by the sellers VG, sounds pretty cruddy to me:

VG VERY GOOD A USED, REASONABLE COPY. THERE COULD BE A DRILL HOLE IN THE LABEL , WRITING ON THE LABEL OR SOME WARP, CHIPS ON OUTER EDGE. THERE WILL BE OBVIOUS SIGNS OF WEAR AND THE POSSIBILITY OF SURFACE NOISE BETWEEN TRACKS OR DURING QUIET PASSAGES. / COVERS OR PICTURE SLEEVES WILL HAVE WEAR ON EDGES AND CORNERS AND WILL HAVE SPLIT SEAMS PLUS A DRILL HOLE AND OR WRITING ON COVER

i've bought numerous records from this seller and he is usually spot on 

kev

Social source share

i've bought numerous records from this seller and he is usually spot on 

kev

That's what I thought, he's been very specific about his grading and the description and there are still some really honest sellers,on eBay US. I'd have happily had his VG records :-)

Social source share

as we all had to change our e bay password, have you informed your sniper company of the new password, I use goofbid and they informed me to change it on their site, maybe the failed ones have not done this, just a thought

Nothing to do with passwords, about 10 snipes, all with the same seller, half worked, half didn't. Some I got outbid on, I won a couple but a couple of the ones that failed I'd really liked to have got at the prices they finished at.

i actually think it was multiple snipes at pretty much the same time on the same seller's items that might have been the problem. Can only speculate though.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!