Show Us Your Great Photos - Pt2

Amsterdam Russ

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this little chap while out blackberry picking. Different from the usual ladybirds you see.

12039317_10156067201750092_7038472817374

And last night a huge spider watching Downton with us......as big as the palm of your hand.

12032099_10156067460450092_1530009973655

Social source share

Was bloody hard work staying up all night Sunday for the Lunar Eclipse after being up all night Saturday at the 100 Club anniversary , but as a Soul fan and an astronomer I hadn't much choice ... :D

Well worth the effort though as it capped off a great weekend , thanks again to Ady and the gang for the continued madness , hope the bubbles were OK ... :thumbsup:

Shot a pre-eclipse tester to make sure everything was connected correctly and focus nailed before grabbing 350 frames at 15 second intervals for a timelapse of the first half between 02:00 and 03:40 before firing off 170 rapid frames for a 'totality' shot at 03:50.

Pre-eclipse tester ... 

P%20A%20Col.png

Full size ... http://www.astrobin.com/full/214513/0/

Totality Blood-red Full Moon ...

P%20Totality.png

Full size ... http://www.astrobin.com/full/214815/0/

Timelapse of the first half of the eclipse , should have held my nerve and stuck with one exposure really ... :huh:

Now time to catch up on the sleep methinks ... 

Stunning pictures. Thanks for sharing. 

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I love taking photos of wildflowers :D  What is more I know my wildflowers well

:) Alas I deleted my photos of the moon :)  

Suz. Sorry you deleted your moon photos. I keep loads that are rubbish and use them as a benchmark for my next attempt. Always love your upper Teesdale posts. Hope it is Upper Teesdale now I've said it. :g:

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I daren't post up my pathetic effort of the Lunar Eclipse :D

Instead here are a few photos from my walk in the lovely countryside where I live.I take it for granted but I know I am so lucky really. First pic is of some Meadow Cranesbill wildflowers unusually growing by the roadside at Crane Row normally finish flowering in August.   Second two pics are at Crane Row looking over towards the purple heather clad hills of Weardale (2 miles from home), 20150927_133850.thumb.jpg.8af14477968522560994cd17481_20150927_1304392.thumb.jpg560994ea53c02_20150927_1304452.thumb.jpg

If there's one thing I miss about the UK since moving to the Netherlands, it's the countryside - gently sloping hills, an undulating horizon and the like are a welcome sight when you're in a land as flat and as managed as this (it's so well managed they even plant the trees in straight lines!). Thanks for sharing.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I know what you mean, I lived in Amsterdam for a while, fabulous country, but can be a little "well managed".

If anyone on here likes the countryside, I can highly recommend our little island here in the Med, its has UNESCO Biosphere Status, is very green and has the most stunning landscapes. I must take more walks with my camera and post a few, trouble is, I only have a 'happy snappy'camera, so I cant capture its majesty and grandeur.

Ill have a go!

x

If there's one thing I miss about the UK since moving to the Netherlands, it's the countryside - gently sloping hills, an undulating horizon and the like are a welcome sight when you're in a land as flat and as managed as this (it's so well managed they even plant the trees in straight lines!). Thanks for sharing.

Edited by crazylegs
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I know what you mean, I lived in Amsterdam for a while, fabulous country, but can be a little "well managed".

If anyone on here likes the countryside, I can highly recommend our little island here in the Med, its has UNESCO Biosphere Status, is very green and has the most stunning landscapes. I must take more walks with my camera and post a few, trouble is, I only have a 'happy snappy'camera, so I cant capture its majesty and grandeur.

Ill have a go!

x

Which island? Better still, get out there with your camera, take some snaps, and we'll have a guess! :)

My first guess is Lanzarote...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Had a family group of 5 Swallows fly south over my back garden this afternoon. Don't think I will see anymore this year. Should still be a few house Martin's around for a few weeks yet. Anyone else seen any lately ? 

Steve

Saw a few a couple of weeks ago from our balcony. Normally all we see from there are swifts, so I can only presume that the swallows and martins were extending their hunting grounds as the insect population decreases with the dropping temperatures.

Have seen a number of birds of prey from the same balcony over the same period - much more so that I've usually seen and guess they're also extending their range in the search for food.  

You peeked! :thumbup:

Thank goodness. I was running out of ideas. Now for the photos, please...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

We cut down a few willow trees up in the marsh, which opened up the small brook that feeds the reservoir, which meant I got to see a few of these bombing up and down, even managed to get a couple static for a second or two 

484_044a.thumb.jpg.7fe8e0d0e67bf05a4b71f

484_046.thumb.jpg.e7bb3b000462eb89dabbbd484_053.thumb.jpg.2a7f71cf8fbeb28a805f5b

484_052.thumb.jpg.05e9e5085a29495d2a142e

Wow! They're wonderful pictures Martyn. 

Peter

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Well , barring a yet to be announced final flight , today was the last opportunity to see this magnificent machine doing her thing , in the sky where she belongs ... :(

Luckily it was just a Sunday afternoon jolly not a "working" flight as they were a couple of miles off the pre-published flight path .

This meant that the 300mm was barely adequate but at least I got to say goodbye with her roaring by ... :thumbup:

108 roughly cropped and stitched into a movie of sorts.

https://youtu.be/s2N6jP4ZXiw?t=1s

Edited by WoodButcher
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Well I got back from Pembrokeshire yesterday after spending a wonderful week there. Managed a few pictures of some Atlantic grey  seal pups. Will post  when I get chance to download them. Got a few more badger pictures to add to my collection. Seen plenty of Swallows virtually every day. 

Was paddling about knee deep on Amroth beach when I was surprised to see a school of seabass  about 8" long chasing fry of some description all around me . Was a very special experience. Wish I had my camera moment.

Steve

• Helpful 2
Social source share