Female "big Beat" Ballads - Your Faves?

Ljblanken

• Replies 365
  • Views 30.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

also, if you love female vocal (ballads, girlie, mid tempo) stuff, stop into a record shop in San Francisco called "Rooky Ricardos" on lower Haight street.

the owner, Dick Vivian, is SUPER knowledgable about all this stuff. it's worth spending a long afternoon just chatting with him...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Margaret Mandolph - I Wanna Make You Happy

Dusty Springfield did an excellent version of this song, and in fact I prefer her version, normally I like the originals better but not in this case.

The song does make me smile. It's the sort of thing I'd have been most pleased to hear a girl say to me at a party when I was a teenager. In fact I'd be happy for a nice lady to say it to me tonight. LOL. Hope that doesn't offend anyone. This thread has been one of the most enjoyable on Soul Source for ages.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

No words from me are needed as the music says everything.

Derek x

Mary Wheeler “Prove it” (Calla)  version of Sandra Lynn

Sorry Derek, Sandra Lynn completely different song. Don Gardner on Sack is same as Mary Wheeler (and much better IMO)

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

Can someone explain what defines the "big beat" sound?

I think this sound is defined by big, lush, urbane production/arrangement - but also has a heavy, pronounced mid-tempo dance beat embedded in it. I think combining these attributes results in really classy, dramatic songs - especially when coupled with super-powerful female vocals.

others feel free to chime in. just my take on it...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Big thread, forgive me if this has already been posted, I am particularly fond of the male sound but this is great IMHO

Kev

I like the intro on this version better than the straight vocals intro heard on the earlier post in this thread.  Is this on the 45 and the other on an album cut?  I have the 45 with this intro and the greatest hits album with the vocal intro but wasn't sure if there were two versions of the 45.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 3 months later...
Guest Johnny One Trout

Rhythm and tempo wise too fast for a beat ballad but the vocals are pure dramatic ballad (IMO).

Ty Karin - All at once:

Smashing, super, great .......

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert