Great Title, Artist, Label.... But Oh Dear

Dayo

Has this happened to you?

I'll bet a pound to a penny it has. You're trawling through a crate of dusty 45's in some long forgotten warehouse, junk shop, mates attic, or whatever. In amongst the dross something leaps out that you've never seen before and it looks for all the world like a potential Northern monster.

You relieve the present owner of said item and hurry home, heart pounding... your fingers tremble as you drop the needle on the old dansette, only to discover that "Baby Don't You Weep (inst) by the Now Generation, is a crappy organ m.o.r. thing that makes Mantovani sound like the master of groove and certainly has no connection to our beloved scene.

Just wondered if you'd had similar disappointment? I'm guessing we've all been duped by the odd country single that looked promising at first glance?

Social source share

• Replies 32
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest in town Mikey

Picked up a couple of bits blind at a record fare not so long back. One was a KAPP demo (can't remember artist or title) but looked the part. Other was by the Sandpipers. Both were appalling. :thumbsup:

Talking of Kapp.

I bought blind a thing on Kapp, by an artist well known on the scene. It is so bad i cant remember what it is called. Something about a court (Court of love? maybe) Lots of out of tune backing vocals singing he's guilty, while a Barry White wannabe talks about his love.

Absolutely worse than Joe Dolce and Renee & Renata cubed.

Social source share

I'll bet a pound to a penny it has. You're trawling through a crate of dusty 45's in some long forgotten warehouse, junk shop, mates attic, or whatever. In amongst the dross something leaps out that you've never seen before and it looks for all the world like a potential Northern monster.

You relieve the present owner of said item and hurry home, heart pounding... your fingers tremble as you drop the needle on the old dansette, only to discover that "Baby Don't You Weep (inst) by the Now Generation, is a crappy organ m.o.r. thing that makes Mantovani sound like the master of groove and certainly has no connection to our beloved scene.

Just wondered if you'd had similar disappointment? I'm guessing we've all been duped by the odd country single that looked promising at first glance?

For Sale:

500 American 7 inch records. Bought in the misguided belief they would be the next big thing on the Northern Soul Scene

Apply:

Any bugger on this board.

:)

Social source share

Court of Love - the unifics - kapp

12082 refosoul

Interesting thoughts Mikey. One man's meat another man's poison as they say. I think this is a fine piece of group harmony soul.

agreed the l think it is what it is a nice group soul.Its Al Johnson on lead vocals.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Damn wish it hadnt gone in the bin then. I tried giving it to Johnny t, but it kept ending up back in our front room, so when we moved it went into the rubbish.

Social source share

A couple of years ago I found a Beverley Glen LP on ebay that I didn't know about by an artist called Kevin Wells for a couple of quid, and as every other LP I had on that label was a stone classic - Bobby Womack 'Poet', Anita Baker 'Songtress', Chapter 8 etc. etc. - I thought 'RESULT'. Got the package, was like an excited schoolkid opening it, then I looked at the cover and put it on the turntable. f*** me, what on earth were they thinking about putting that shit out alongside the others!!! Like the worst Miami Vice style cover and music you could imagine. Boo-hoo :)

Edited by Dodger
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Mikey - you should flip it over and play the better side "Which One Should I Choose"!

I think it was a white demo. Had the same on both sides.

But as I have tried to remove the thing from memory I could be talking my usual rubbish.

Social source share

Mikey - you should flip it over and play the better side "Which One Should I Choose"!

Both sides are quality group soul (IMO).

Also came out over here on UK London.

The Unifics (inc Al Johnson) reformed about 18 months ago and cut a superb CD.

Blinding track "I Want You To Have It" has been a popular spin of mine these past 12 months.

Back to the thread though, I've got a box full of "Ebay Mistakes" and other 'hopefuls' that look amazing but sound bloody awful.... Sort of a vinyl equivalent of Brittney Spears!

:)

Sean

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

agreed the l think it is what it is a nice group soul.Its Al Johnson on lead vocals.

...the very same Al Johnson who was last seen, by yours truly, conducting the orchestra for Lloyd Price at this past weekend's "Rhythm Riot!" by the way!!!

I walked up to him after the show, and told him what a monumental piece of group soul that I think "Sentimental Man" by the Unifics is. Then, without waiting for his reply, I just walked away and left him to ponder the crazy Limey that he'd just met, while munching his hot dog....

TONE :)

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

More Times Than I Care To Mention , Some Of The stuff On Valiant Is Dire , I Bought Three Things On The Label From A Record Shop Last Year Thinking Id Found The New George Freeman, One Was Sung Under Water , One Just Wailed And The Third Was Worse.

Social source share

Talking of Kapp.

I bought blind a thing on Kapp, by an artist well known on the scene. It is so bad i cant remember what it is called. Something about a court (Court of love? maybe) Lots of out of tune backing vocals singing he's guilty, while a Barry White wannabe talks about his love.

Absolutely worse than Joe Dolce and Renee & Renata cubed.

Quite liked this mikey, tho maybe could do without the talkovers at beginning/end vocal sounded fine.

then again i like joe dolce :D esp if he's gotton into bed with Renee & Renata

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Well if anyone is interested in a free Unifics W/D, there is a copy knocking around a landfill site close to East Finchley.

Using some ebay grading it is probably VG++++++

Social source share

A few years back my good mate Paul O' B took himself on a cruise; landed in Lanzarote and while looking round a market the old vinyl direction finder fired up...under a parrots cage (he assures me) were two records. One was a Karate demo which he just couldn't leave, burnt a hole in his suitcase till he got back. sadly it was The Peels "Juanita Banana"! Disappointed? Well, partly - the other 45 was a Joe Hicks original :thumbsup: . Still love to know how it got there...

Hippo.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Court of Love is a classic. Get your ears tested Mr Gibbs!

I have ben pondering this a bit this morning.

I really respect Johnny T's taste in Soul. While it is quite different to mine, his play box is choc full of soulful records.

So when I attempted to give him the record at least three times, even hiding it in his box when he wasnt looking, and it still ended up on the side in our lounge, then that has to tell you something.

For a second there I was weakening and tempted to listen to the clip....but I just cant put myself through that torture again.

Would I prefer to listen to the Proffesionals or the Airoplane song? Possibly not, but rather than listen to the Unifics I think I could possibly just about stomach hearing for the 40 bazillionth time the Seven Souls.....but only if its the last time before I die.

Social source share

A few years back my good mate Paul O' B took himself on a cruise; landed in Lanzarote and while looking round a market the old vinyl direction finder fired up...under a parrots cage (he assures me) were two records. One was a Karate demo which he just couldn't leave, burnt a hole in his suitcase till he got back. sadly it was The Peels "Juanita Banana"! Disappointed? Well, partly - the other 45 was a Joe Hicks original :thumbsup: . Still love to know how it got there...

Hippo.

Jerry - you just gave me a good idea for another thread! How did it get there.....

And btw, I'm another fan of the Unifics - both sides have their appeal.

Social source share

hold me/ am i the man by al kent on wizard, a great white label looker by the great al kent, seen it listed at 150, waited ages for it to arrive, but then i played it, bloody awfull,

linking up to the other thread, i found a copy of the boss man on gamble in a charity shop in derby, once again i played it, bloody awfull

i used to have a box of stuff like april young on columbia that at the time of buying turnded out to be horrid, however over the years tastes change and as they say one mans poison....

wa pa cha-the jazz tribe, :unsure:

Social source share

Bought blind in late 80's from the states Kell Osborne " Little Darling" Cenco.

Anticipation was intense, "this is gonna be a discovery, Quicksand is a monster, Turbines is getting played at Shotts, Shades of Jade, too", I'm thinking to myself, will I keep it or sell it to a top DJ to unleash this-sure-to-be a monster tune??? When is the postie gonna deliver this disc ???

Then it arrived, ah well :lol:

Social source share

Guest soultempo

Waters - the other side of midnight (45) ... popular modern dancer ... thumbsup.gif

Spots ... Marsha Hunt - the other side of midnight ... on the net ... !

Haaaloooo ..... what have we hear ... methinks ... another version ... :D

Right year ... right label ... all the right ingredients ... ?

Bought it blind ... !

Oh dear ... complete utter tosh ... a completely different version ... :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert