World Cup 2022 Qatar Topic

Mike

Marking the move of freebasing to a more structured deliberate 'forum' approach, a topic for World Cup 2022 discussion

A couple of days to it all kicks off...

BBC summary

The World Cup starts in Al Khor's Al-Bayt Stadium on Sunday and finishes at Lusail Iconic Stadium in Doha on 18 December.

Thirty-two teams will contest the tournament, which will be played out in 64 matches over 28 days, including hosts Qatar, holders France and five-time winners Brazil.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup

Social source share

6 hours ago, Woodbutcher said:

Non-event as far as I'm concerned , the nadir has been reached in the farcical world of money ruling every aspect of a sport to the detriment of everything about it ... 🤬

Have just added the 'ignore topic' feature back to 'freebasing' 

May be useful for perhaps this and other topics that members may not enjoy, have no interest etc etc

(button is at the top of freebasing topics)

Social source share

2 hours ago, Source said:

Have just added the 'ignore topic' feature back to 'freebasing' 

May be useful for perhaps this and other topics that members may not enjoy, have no interest etc etc

(button is at the top of freebasing topics)

I don't "not enjoy" nor "have no interest etc etc" in the topic , far from it in fact , I was merely offering up my opinion which as far as I know is still allowed ... unless I've somehow inadvertantly contravened the TOS ... ?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, Woodbutcher said:

I don't "not enjoy" nor "have no interest etc etc" in the topic , far from it in fact , I was merely offering up my opinion which as far as I know is still allowed ... unless I've somehow inadvertantly contravened the TOS ... ?

it's just a comment to inform members that have brought back a feature that may be useful to some

used your post to highlight the return of it as thought it may be of interest to yourself and those who 'upped' your post

if it's not then fine, just don't use it 

• Thanks 1
Social source share

I'll maybe watch the England games and dip into Wales's efforts but after that have little interest. I'm not particularly interested in politics in general but after watching several documentaries on the awarding of the world cup to Qatar and the reports of abuse of human rights, the fact they have no experience of hosting something on this scale I think it will be a miracle if events off the field don't overshadow the football.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Strange, the complete lack of build up to it. 

Normally by now there are flags in houses and on cars etc.....and it's all over the press. 

May be a slow burn (like Italy 90).

I am keen to see what the atmosphere inside the stadiums is like? Are women allowed? Chanting? Etc etc. 

No beer obv, much to Budweiser disapproval "well that's awkward". Twelve years to organise and that decision with 48 hrs to go. 

Regards the winner. Already reported that Quatar offered to bribe 8 Ecuador players ($7.4m) to throw the opener. 

https://www.tbsnews.net/sports/political-affairs-expert-accuses-qatar-bribing-8-ecuador-players-lose-opener-534934?amp

The Fifa president has also lost his rag with the press now and criticised the West of hypocrisy 

https://news.google.com/articles/CBMiLWh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LmJiYy5jby51ay9zcG9ydC9mb290YmFsbC82MzY4NzQxMtIBL2h0dHBzOi8vd3d3LmJiYy5jb20vc3BvcnQvZm9vdGJhbGwvNjM2ODc0MTIuYW1w?hl=en-GB&gl=GB&ceid=GB%3Aen

It actually all makes compelling watching imo! 

Expectations are zero, so could be a pleasant surprise. 

Certainly makes TV viewing more interesting in November. 

Edited by Fish Fingers
Social source share

such a massive contrast between the FIFA World Cup (set-up in Qatar) and The Rugby League World Cup(s) played here in England. Maybe it's just my working-class heritage rearing it's ugly head again.

I guess FIFA will find a way to 'give it The World Cup host nation to' North Korea soon.

As for the footie...there's always something to get me excited.

Edited by Kenb
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Ceremony just starting along with opening match, not for me really, as been said its currently all a bit sureal

Bad news for the big match tomorrow at 19:00hrs, ITV live

Wales midfielder Joe Allen is out of Monday's World Cup opener against the United States with a hamstring injury.

Though I still reckon a win is doable, get us off to a good tournament showing and top 2 of the group

Wales' fixture schedule:

Group stages

Wales v USA , Monday 21 November 2022, 19:00 (UK time) on ITV1 - Ahmed bin Ali Stadium

Wales v Iran, Friday 25 November, 2022, 10:00 (UK time) on BBC One - Ahmed bin Ali Stadium

Wales v England, Tuesday 29 November, 2022, 19:00 (UK time) on BBC One - Ahmed bin Ali Stadium

Social source share

It is what it is and we are where we are.  We all know why, we all know it's bent but that isn't the fault of the fans nor the players who for many it is a once in a lifetime opportunity and the pinnacle of their sport.

Hopefully something good can come out of this World Cup....I doubt it but one can hope.

The one thing that must never happen again is that any The World Cup can never go to such a backward country with laws that belong in medieval times and certainly not to a country that doesn't promote inclusivity for all.

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

6 minutes ago, Chalky said:

It is what it is and we are where we are.  We all know why, we all know it's bent but that isn't the fault of the fans nor the players who for many it is a once in a lifetime opportunity and the pinnacle of their sport.

Hopefully something good can come out of this World Cup....I doubt it but one can hope.

The one thing that must never happen again is that any The World Cup can never go to such a backward country with laws that belong in medieval times and certainly not to a country that doesn't promote inclusivity for all.

Pointless saying it must never happen again ... It should never have been allowed to happen in the first place ... 🤬

• Up vote 2
Social source share

3 hours ago, Woodbutcher said:

Pointless saying it must never happen again ... It should never have been allowed to happen in the first place ... 🤬

We know, it's been a hot topic for 12 years. It wasn't the first time bribery had taken place either.

Back to the football, safe to say neither Qatar nor Ecuador will win the Cup, Qatar wouldn't win my old Sunday League.

Edited by Chalky
Social source share

Never gave it much thought back in August, but it used to be, i'll get the barbeque out ,bring a couple of beers and then we can watch the game, now the temparature has dropped it all seems a right damp squid and completely wrong to have it staged in november you used to see the car window down and the flag hanging out , not sure I would have the window down for anything this morning.  I'm sure my enthusiasum will improove as the better teams get to play each other.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 20/11/2022 at 14:33, Mike said:

Ceremony just starting along with opening match, not for me really, as been said its currently all a bit sureal

Bad news for the big match tomorrow at 19:00hrs, ITV live

Wales midfielder Joe Allen is out of Monday's World Cup opener against the United States with a hamstring injury.

Though I still reckon a win is doable, get us off to a good tournament showing and top 2 of the group

Wales' fixture schedule:

Group stages

Wales v USA , Monday 21 November 2022, 19:00 (UK time) on ITV1 - Ahmed bin Ali Stadium

Wales v Iran, Friday 25 November, 2022, 10:00 (UK time) on BBC One - Ahmed bin Ali Stadium

Wales v England, Tuesday 29 November, 2022, 19:00 (UK time) on BBC One - Ahmed bin Ali Stadium

mmm not a great start, second half was better, I'd say getting out of the group is still on, Iran Friday morning
how's the goal difference working this time around? 

Social source share

Good to see the directive from FIFA regarding holding at corners , long overdue and hopefully implemented in the national leagues , just need the referees to be consistent with it a bit iffy so far a couple given and one blatant one missed.

Wales definitely need a win on Friday , Iran seem poor so that is doable .

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 20/11/2022 at 16:20, Chalky said:

And, perhaps more importantly in a football context, should not have been awarded to a nation with zero history of reaching the World Cup finals. Somewhere in the World there are 26 players in a nation that may have qualified for this World Cup and may never have the opportunity of playing at this level because a nation with more money than football talent was able to bribe FIFA. If FIFA wanted an Arab World Cup, in a footballing sense, Iran has more credentials than Qatar.

Good win for England yesterday though and good to see there will not be an over reliance on Kane to score goals. 

Wales were much improved in the second half of their game with USA.

Social source share

12 hours ago, Shinehead said:

Good to see the directive from FIFA regarding holding at corners , long overdue and hopefully implemented in the national leagues , just need the referees to be consistent with it a bit iffy so far a couple given and one blatant one missed.

Wales definitely need a win on Friday , Iran seem poor so that is doable .

I cannot believe how it has been allowed to get into the game, it wasn't that long ago you never saw it and I've never done in a game and I played centre half for years.  How quick was VAR though?  I wish the PL VAR was that quick instead of five minutes later.  No need to study replay after replay, just tell the referee to make the decision.

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Geeselad said:

Not a fan of the beautiful game tbh, but I give it a go as I'm recovering from an accident. I loved the snooker last week and go well into. So far I've seen a a few games, very few goals, and a load of grown men rubbing there ankles and faking injury, torturous tbh. 

To say you are not a fan you have about summed up most of the games so far 😀

Social source share

On 22/11/2022 at 13:32, Chalky said:

Probably the last time Argentina were on the end of one against Cameroon, Italia 90?

Be interesting to see if Messi can rouse his men, they need him now, a half fit Maradona took his troops all the way to the final after that Cameroon shocker, "cometh the hour, cometh the man" as they say, I always said, in 2014 final, if you take Messi out, pur Maradona in, Argentina win, hands down, Maradona took 2 half decent teams, that's all they were, to 2 consecutive finals, stats are stats, and there's no denying Messi, I love the guy, but when it came to lifting players around them, Maradona was in a league of his own

Kev

• Up vote 3
Social source share

IMO Messi is above Maradona in terms of greatness for a number of reasons. The obvious one is that Messi has scored twice as many career goals (800 plus) as Maradona. Maradona had the greatest left foot ever but Messi has the best feet ever. True Maradona's achievement at Napoli in inspiring an unfashionable club to win the Scudetto is outstanding but he only got to Naples after a mare of a time at Barcelona where he seemed to spend more time literally fighting - I recall a famous brawl. Messi is, of course, a Barcelona great, the lethal link in one of the greatest teams ever. 

It's hard to refute completely your point Kev about Maradona and the World Cup but there are fine lines in football. Messi was voted the best player at the World Cup in 2014 and he dragged an average Argentine team to the Final falling at the final hurdle. Maradona was indeed the key difference in 1986 but he had a poor final in 1990 and got kicked out of the World Cup for cocaine use in 1994. Messi has performed at the very top for probably at least twelve seasons. Not so Diego who had  a number of disappointing years when his demons got the better of him.

One thing is indisputable is Maradona's effect on the psyche of many (most?) Argentines. A working class lad from an industrial city close to Buenos Aires whose every triumph and disaster was followed obsessively by a nation. He lived his life fast and of course, that meant some spectacular falls but he inspired love and affection. On the other hand Messi left Argentina at a young age and was out of sight for many Argentines. Some Argentines have questioned his commitment to the Albicelestes . He still speaks Spanish with a decidedly Argentine accent but some of the press have questioned his allegiance on occasions. I believe his grandfather was actually a Catalan.

It would be disappointing for lovers of the beautiful game if Messi's final World Cup doesn't end in the ultimate success because it would end the debate as to whether he or Maradona was the greatest. I recall Spain lost their opening match and then went on to win the World Cup. I think Argentina can be the second team also to do so.

Edited by Dukeofburgundy
Corrected mistake.
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Well, he answered in the affirmative, great strike, exactly when they needed him, I hope you're right, I'd love to see him go out as a winner, of course it's subjective as to who was the greatest, 2 different players and personalities, been an honour and privilege to see them both 

Kev

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Portugal... wow

Well a day off tomorrow

All can say so far is for me... it's been mostly most enjoyable

Caught some great matches

Quarters going to be interesting...

Quarter-final fixtures

Friday December 9
Croatia vs Brazil - Kick-off 3pm
Netherlands vs Argentina - Kick-off 7pm

Saturday December 10
Morocco vs Portugal - Kick-off 3pm
England vs France - Kick-off 7pm

----------------------------------------------------------

Semi-final fixtures

Tuesday December 13
Netherlands or Argentina vs Croatia or Brazil - Kick-off 7pm

Wednesday December 14
England or France vs Morocco orPortuga - Kick-off 7pm

-------------------------------------------------

So what's the take on it all at this stage

look forwards to ?

forecasts?

highlights so far?

Social source share

England's strength is its attack; hopefully Gareth will have learnt lessons from his previous tournaments that caution will not prevail. If he allows the team to play without fear the match against France should be a cracker.

Personally, I would prefer to lose in a tight 3-2 or 4-3 thriller than a plodding defensive match that sees us go out on Pens!

Ronaldo to keep the Portugal bench warm in the Quarters?

The Dutch match up with the Argies should be a cracker.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Spain, for all their flair, technical ability and skill....I thought they were trying to bore Morocco to death with their passing.  The one player they had who would be a target up front was Morata who was left mostly on the bench, hardly any shots, p*ss poor service to the forwards.  Set plays and corners were shocking and to brag they practised 1000 penalties and then produce what they did was terrible, very poor from them.  

As Kev says every team have their weaknesses.  France have theirs at fullback and with our attack, one of the best in the tournament we can get at them if Southgate is brave enough and sticks with 4-3-3.  If he reverts to type and back three with wing backs sitting back, two defensive midfielders it is inviting trouble and we will be coming home.  Brazil not been tested, The Dutch only dazzled in patches, very open now.

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

I agree....

It could be anyones as they have all played well, but also show  weaknesses. 

I am looking forward to all of it.

And just remember that of 32 that started 31 end up with tears on the pitch/terraces. 

You have to be very good and fortunate if you are to be the 1.

So may the best team win. 🍻

Social source share

There to win for any from Brazil , Portugal , England and Holland , Argentina and France in my opinion but a shock still possible.

We have a good chance just hope Southgate does not try Walker as a third centre back to try to nullify Mbappe and play wing backs , he has tried it before .

Edited by Shinehead
Social source share

18 hours ago, Still Diggin said:

Unlike most teams still in it, for the most part we have been up against championship strikers and good players that have seen better days. So the fun starts saturday, if the chuckle bros keep a clean sheet it will be close to a miracle.

Don't think anyone has rea;lly stood out.  Brazil in patches but that was against poor opposition or a poor showing from the opposition.  The Dutch haven't really excited, every team has shown they can be got at and be beat. Pretty open really but it gets harder and harder from here on in.

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

For those that say ‘a wins-a-win, , it’s the ‘3 points that count’, etc …well good on ya.

But frankly, any team that comes out deliberately not to be beat, aka Croatia, so they can ‘nick one’ or get to penalties deserves to get battered sooner or later.

As unconvincing as Brazil were they still deserved to win with a goal like that.

Edited by Kenb
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

39 minutes ago, Kenb said:

For those that say ‘a wins-a-win, , it’s the ‘3 points that count’, etc …well good on ya.

But frankly, any team that comes out deliberately not to be beat, aka Croatia, so they can ‘nick one’ or get to penalties deserves to get battered sooner or later.

As unconvincing as Brazil were they still deserved to win with a goal like that.

They were the more positive throughout the game.  Croatia have been boring and stubborn for most of their time on the pitch throughout this tournament.  Brazil though only have them sleves to blame, thya should have gone for it like they did against South Korea but they just weren't on their game for some reason.

I would sooner see a team with flair and attacking intent progress rather than a stubborn defensive team.   The World Cup whatever anyone thinks will be poorer without the Brazilians, not juts on the pitch but the crowds as well.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!