JMAuction - 09/08/2023 - Results!

6 hours ago, Zanetti said:

Spyder Turner - 430£

I sold an EX copy of this for 200 back in april. Quick internet research indicated that a M- copy should be 250/300 max.

1 hour ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Usually a set-sale record but is scarce these days.

As I type there are 2 issues and 4 copies for sale on Discogs.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

10 hours ago, Mgm 1251 said:

As much as I love the Ruby Winters record,I was surprised to see it up for auction...finished at £135...

On this Ruby Winters, the label layout is the same as the Canadian copy pictured on Discogs. There is no USA equivalent listed.

JM’s description didn’t mention Canadian though, and John is usually pretty hot on picking those details up. 

I was wondering whether it was a rare USA label design?

Social source share

johnny robinson seems to be a flat out of fashion record so i was a little surprised at it being on auction but not surprised it bombed.. doc peabody did sell at £3.5k set sale 2 weeks ago so maybe a little disappointing in auction but over the last couple of years a few more have surfaced... rita dacosta did surprise me.. i have the white demo vinyl copy. Just goes to show  in auction you never can tell which way they are gonna go no matter how you study the market

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Peter Richer said:

On this Ruby Winters, the label layout is the same as the Canadian copy pictured on Discogs. There is no USA equivalent listed.

JM’s description didn’t mention Canadian though, and John is usually pretty hot on picking those details up. 

I was wondering whether it was a rare USA label design

On closer inspection you're right. It is a Canadian copy housed in an American Company sleeve. JM Quality Control missed that.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

50 minutes ago, Dave Pinch said:

johnny robinson seems to be a flat out of fashion record so i was a little surprised at it being on auction but not surprised it bombed.. doc peabody did sell at £3.5k set sale 2 weeks ago so maybe a little disappointing in auction but over the last couple of years a few more have surfaced... rita dacosta did surprise me.. i have the white demo vinyl copy. Just goes to show  in auction you never can tell which way they are gonna go no matter how you study the market

Has Johnny Robinson ever been in fashion, not over the last two or three decades anyway. 

Social source share

7 hours ago, Benji said:

I sold an EX copy of this for 200 back in april. Quick internet research indicated that a M- copy should be 250/300 max.

As I type there are 2 issues and 4 copies for sale on Discogs.

Thanks for the heads up Benji. I’ve only found this one twice in 75+ trips to The States. Some of her other records are as common as muck.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Peter Richer said:

I was wondering whether it was a rare USA label design?

Top scan is the one Dave set sale(same as mine),and the lower one is the one John auctioned....

D916C8AE-F34A-4BD8-BA85-031E714DACA2.jpeg

4977513F-7F31-4F31-B955-B5201D9E76D9.jpeg

Social source share

12 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Has Johnny Robinson ever been in fashion, not over the last two or three decades anyway. 

well me and trev thomas used to play it in the 90s if that counts for anything lol but back then when it was £100/150 it was an easy sell but i appreciate some guys put the prices up to fall in line with inflation and not because the records are in demand

• Up vote 3
Social source share

1 hour ago, Chalky said:

I bought a mint demo in 1978 in Sacramento. I didn't know it and had never heard anyone play it. Probably hard core collecters knew it then.

It looked nice on the Okeh demo and I did know the Cissy Stone record at that time, so I thought it might be another version! Turned out to be a much better record!

I used to do a lot of collectors cassette tape swops and started putting it on those🎶.

Edited by Solidsoul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, Dave Pinch said:

Do you recall what the condition was of the £3.5k copy please?

---

Now found it, 'VG++'

Edited by Will
Update
Social source share

On 10/08/2023 at 09:04, Dave Pinch said:

well me and trev thomas used to play it in the 90s if that counts for anything lol but back then when it was £100/150 it was an easy sell but i appreciate some guys put the prices up to fall in line with inflation and not because the records are in demand

I'm not saying it never got plays, just never any sustained.  It was more a tape swapper sound for me.  I love there record though.

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

The cynthia & imaginations hey boy sounds similar to the four dynamics things a lady ain’t suppose to do on peachtree?

if it is the same backing track,which came first?

I sold a mint four dynamics on here some years back,wasn’t a fan of the tune,but I knew it was rare!

Social source share

7 minutes ago, Dobber said:

The cynthia & imaginations hey boy sounds similar to the four dynamics things a lady ain’t suppose to do on peachtree?

if it is the same backing track,which came first?

I sold a mint four dynamics on here some years back,wasn’t a fan of the tune,but I knew it was rare!

cynthia came first.. in essence the same song but not same backing track

Social source share

1 hour ago, Lionelonthevinyl said:

Was the Ascots a decent  price folks?? Top 10 tune for me. I know it wasn't the best copy but no one mentioned it,  presuming it's on the money??? Thank you....Rob

Ascots was well down in previous figures. John acknowledged below par condition and the visual disfigurement of WOL surely put off some bidders. On the other hand, someone snagged a bargain that should be OK to DJ with.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!