Articles: Lester Tipton - The Story

Thanks for a great story, very interesting and tragic.

Regarding the scans of the acetate. I originally bought this off Dave Raistrick when he found it, around 1980/81. I think he put it up for auction and I won it at £25. I'm sure it was that figure as I also won the Eddie Parker "Love you baby" White Demo for £25. No one had seen a white demo before and I had to have it. People thought I was crazy paying that when the issue could be had for £1.50! The Lester Tipton acetate was a very good price I thought as the La Beat single was about £40 at the time. I've got the sales list somewhere that I put it on a couple of years later. I thought I sold it to George Sharp but it must of been you Andy. 

Cheers Dave K

Social source share

1 hour ago, Davek said:

Thanks for a great story, very interesting and tragic.

Regarding the scans of the acetate. I originally bought this off Dave Raistrick when he found it, around 1980/81. I think he put it up for auction and I won it at £25. I'm sure it was that figure as I also won the Eddie Parker "Love you baby" White Demo for £25. No one had seen a white demo before and I had to have it. People thought I was crazy paying that when the issue could be had for £1.50! The Lester Tipton acetate was a very good price I thought as the La Beat single was about £40 at the time. I've got the sales list somewhere that I put it on a couple of years later. I thought I sold it to George Sharp but it must of been you Andy. 

Cheers Dave K

Hi ... I got it from Nigel Parker

Andy

Social source share

I posted that promo picture at the top of Lester that came from a good friend and legend of a record finder Steve Cooper ….a very knowledgeable and well traveled in the States record collector ….he met and acquired some other good info from folks like Miles Grayson, Hadley Murrell, Len Jewell……

Social source share

9 hours ago, Funky 4 Corners said:

Great images Andy, a good addition to the story! One thing I've often thought about is the origin of the La Beat name - very akin to L BEATty, I wonder if Lou's second name began with A?

According to the liner notes of the Grapevine CD "Lou Beatty's Detroit Soul", Lou's middle name was Roy.

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Nice article Keith.  Lester, himself has been often overlooked, other than his rare record getting notoriety.  I didn't like either side of his one LaBeat release.  He was a much better singer than he showed on his two released cuts.  Too bad his life was cut off so early.  Too bad he didn't get a chance with a record company to give him a true chance and the right material.  Unfortunately, we at Airwave couldn't get the financing to do a project on him, because we had other things going on, and by that time, he had really given up on trying to forge a singing career.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!