Bread Sauce?

Soul Salad

A couple of years ago we had family over from Belfast and Glasgow (stayed in hotels our house is tiny!), as always, we brought out a big pot of bread sauce. All 6 extra guests couldn't believe what they were seeing. Never heard of it, didnt really like it but were polite enough to say yum

Hope I'm correct in "assuming" a lot of you on this forum are north of Watford, I'm in the very deep south. Just wondering is bread sauce with Turkey at Christmas a thing in the north of England? or have you never heard of it until now? 

Hoping this thread is not patronising?

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Just as i thought, pretty much a southern thing. 

17 minutes ago, Steviehay said:

were posh up north and richer now, cranberry is the new garlic bread sauce is for southerners lol 

Cranberry up North? - You MUST be Harrogate?😆

Seriously, I've had it since day dot always thought it was a thing until a couple of years back.

I'm sure you know what it is, those who don't see below or google:

Obviously heated looks a bit like porridge. You're supposed to add a bit with your Turkey and a small dollop of Cranberry - it's quite delicious!

Breadcrumbs/cream or milk/Clove/butter/nutmeg sometimes a dash of brandy if posh. You can buy it any Supermarket or make yourself

Go on i dare you!

Social source share

6 minutes ago, Soul Salad said:

Just as i thought, pretty much a southern thing. 

Cranberry up North? - You MUST be Harrogate?😆

Seriously, I've had it since day dot always thought it was a thing until a couple of years back.

I'm sure you know what it is, those who don't see below or google:

Obviously heated looks a bit like porridge. You're supposed to add a bit with your Turkey and a small dollop of Cranberry - it's quite delicious!

Breadcrumbs/cream or milk/Clove/butter/nutmeg sometimes a dash of brandy if posh. You can buy it any Supermarket or make yourself

Go on i dare you!

PS Wonder if you up North have any Christmas food traditions us Southerners have never heard of? BTW Yes most of us Southerner's do eat Yorkshire puddings (albeit usually frozen Aunt Bessie's)

• Up vote 2
Social source share

37 minutes ago, Soul Salad said:

PS Wonder if you up North have any Christmas food traditions us Southerners have never heard of? BTW Yes most of us Southerner's do eat Yorkshire puddings (albeit usually frozen Aunt Bessie's)

Yes we throw the  turkey leftovers at the wall when we come in from Boxing Day football when our team has lost .😂

Edited by Shinehead
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

42 minutes ago, Woodbutcher said:

A fair indication that the S-S membership is getting younger is the lack of knowledge of the wonderful thing that is bread sauce ... :lol: 

We are probably around about the same age,tho I've never tried it,but I'm gonna try it now...👍👍👍👍👍if it's good enough for @Woodbutcher,it's good enough for me...

Merry Christmas mate👍

Edited by Mgm 1251
  • Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

We here in the midlands ( although I am a Northerner who married a midlander ) have always gone for the Xmas traditional Roast Turkey , with all of the trimmings inc. roast potatoes & parsnips , sprouts , carrots etc , bread  sauce the lot  , but could I get the kids to eat Xmas pudding never , so then ( I think I created it because at the time 25 yrs ago I'd never come across or scene a recipe for it ) The Xmas pudding creme brulee , now it's a must have and never any leftovers in our house, even the Grandkids love it too.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

54 minutes ago, Happy Feet said:

We here in the midlands ( although I am a Northerner who married a midlander ) have always gone for the Xmas traditional Roast Turkey , with all of the trimmings inc. roast potatoes & parsnips , sprouts , carrots etc , bread  sauce the lot  , but could I get the kids to eat Xmas pudding never , so then ( I think I created it because at the time 25 yrs ago I'd never come across or scene a recipe for it ) The Xmas pudding creme brulee , now it's a must have and never any leftovers in our house, even the Grandkids love it too.

Creme Brulee - Love it, X Mas pudding, nope - we buy a small one, we NEVER really eat it though.

Sprouts must have bacon and chestnuts and need honey baked Parsnips! - We've never really done the traditional roast thing on a Sunday, so Christmas and Easter are really the only times we go mad🥳 - Christmas/roast dinner has been on my mind for weeks, sad but true😟

Social source share

Londoners and Irish in my family and my turn to host (seems to be every year actually) in Sussex . We have a goose and a glazed gammon. Bread sauce is on the menu but not everyone will touch it. No cranberry sauce in sight cos it's the devil's own. We have old fashioned redcurrant jelly or home-made crab-apple jelly. Each family has their own traditions I suppose.

Social source share

3 minutes ago, Dukeofburgundy said:

Londoners and Irish in my family and my turn to host (seems to be every year actually) in Sussex . We have a goose and a glazed gammon. Bread sauce is on the menu but not everyone will touch it. No cranberry sauce in sight cos it's the devil's own. We have old fashioned redcurrant jelly or home-made crab-apple jelly. Each family has their own traditions I suppose.

Are you actually THE Duke of Burgundy? - Goose!! 😄 You are making us Southerners look posh. Never ever had Goose or Partridge never eaten game, not to say i wouldn't, just never been on our radar.

Yes agree got to have a Glazed Gammon.

Social source share

I'm from Northamptonshire and living in Kent. Pam's family are from Yorkshire and Scotland. Both families have always served a choice of Bread Sauce and Cranberry Sauce, or both, with Christmas dinner.

What I can't abide is all the eateries that are currently adding Yorkshire Pudding to their 'traditional' Christmas roast. It just doesn't belong on the festive plate. I've even had to settle for salmon or steak to avoid it.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Quote Are you actually THE Duke of Burgundy? - Goose!!  You are making us Southerners look posh. Never ever had Goose or Partridge never eaten game, not to say i wouldn't, just never been on our radar

I am indeed the Duke of Burgundy and incredible posh. My parents used to get a goose sent from their estate in the west of Ireland every year and one likes to keep up the tradition. How quaint that you have never tasted game! 

Have a good one mate.  

Edited by Dukeofburgundy
Feeling superior.
Social source share

15 minutes ago, Dukeofburgundy said:

Quote Are you actually THE Duke of Burgundy? - Goose!!  You are making us Southerners look posh. Never ever had Goose or Partridge never eaten game, not to say i wouldn't, just never been on our radar

I am indeed the Duke of Burgundy and incredible posh. My parents used to get a goose sent from their estate in the west of Ireland every year and one likes to keep up the tradition. How quaint that you have never tasted game! 

Have a good one mate.  

LOL i had to actually Google that one😁 - You too!

Social source share

5 hours ago, Kevinkent said:

I'm from Northamptonshire and living in Kent. Pam's family are from Yorkshire and Scotland. Both families have always served a choice of Bread Sauce and Cranberry Sauce, or both, with Christmas dinner.

What I can't abide is all the eateries that are currently adding Yorkshire Pudding to their 'traditional' Christmas roast. It just doesn't belong on the festive plate. I've even had to settle for salmon or steak to avoid it.

But Christmas dinner is a "roast"? - must have YPs with a roast, the beauty of Christmas dinner is everybody has a different combination, we only really have 2 roasts a year, I'm not leaving out YPs!

Actually decided I'm making my own YPs this year😏 - Never done that before/Aunt Bessie is the back up in the freezer though'

Social source share

14 minutes ago, Soul Salad said:

But Christmas dinner is a "roast"? - must have YPs with a roast, the beauty of Christmas dinner is everybody has a different combination, we only really have 2 roasts a year, I'm not leaving out YPs!

Actually decided I'm making my own YPs this year😏 - Never done that before/Aunt Bessie is the back up in the freezer though'

A tip for your yorkies. 😋

You must have the oil/lard (does anyone use lard today - could be another thread), in your baking tray bubbling hot, straight back into a searingly hot oven. Don't open the oven again until they're done. Sit back, and watch em rise. 

👊🎅🏽🤶🏽

Peter

• Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

You must have the oil/lard (does anyone use lard today - could be another thread), in your baking tray bubbling hot, straight back into a searingly hot oven. Don't open the oven again until they're done. Sit back, and watch em rise. 

👊🎅🏽🤶🏽

Peter

Well Peter, only problem is that you can't see through the window on our oven (Wifes fault 😄) so i  am going to have to open it? or could pay the children to clean it.

Agree the next thread should just be "lard" - see where it goes🫤

Dax😊

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Soul Salad said:

Well Peter, only problem is that you can't see through the window on our oven (Wifes fault 😄) so i  am going to have to open it? or could pay the children to clean it.

Agree the next thread should just be "lard" - see where it goes🫤

Dax😊

For lard read "real beef dripping" , absolutely essential for the following day's breakfast on toast ... :thumbsup:

And I'd better not start a flame war by mentioning having 'spare' yorkshire pudding with golden syrup on it as a little treat after a roast dinner ... :rolleyes:

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 minute ago, Woodbutcher said:

For lard read "real beef dripping" , absolutely essential for the following day's breakfast on toast ... :thumbsup:

And I'd better not start a flame war by mentioning having 'spare' yorkshire pudding with golden syrup on it as a little treat after a roast dinner ... :rolleyes:

WOW that actually sounds like it would work (Golden Syrup/YPs 😛), that's it, I'm throwing the Christmas pudding in the bin

• Up vote 1
Social source share

In Yorkshire or even perhaps Lancashire(?), Yorkshire Pudding was traditionally had as a starter, it helped to fill a bit of empty tummy, so that the main dinner could be a little more thrifty. I don't know if that still happens today as more of a proper tradition. 

I think my words may be a bit clumsy there, but I'm sure you'll understand what I mean. Tin hat on from some of my Yorkshire soul friends, and there are absolutely loads of em in Yorkshire - soul people I mean.

:sweatingbullets:

Peter

🙂

• Up vote 3
Social source share

13 hours ago, Peter99 said:

👊🎅🏽🤶🏽

Peter

Yes ,heat the oil for about 15 minutes before adding the YP batter ....

• Up vote 1
Social source share

28 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

In Yorkshire or even perhaps Lancashire(?), Yorkshire Pudding was traditionally had as a starter, it helped to fill a bit of empty tummy, so that the main dinner could be a little more thrifty. I don't know if that still happens today as more of a proper tradition. 

I think my words may be a bit clumsy there, but I'm sure you'll understand what I mean. Tin hat on from some of my Yorkshire soul friends, and there are absolutely loads of em in Yorkshire - soul people I mean.

:sweatingbullets:

Peter

🙂

...are you trying to start another "War Of The Roses" Pete.......:boxing:

6 minutes ago, Eddie Hubbard said:

I do ,Brown sauce with sausages 

English Mustard on sausages for me Eddie...👍👍👍

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Just for the fun side side of things tasteful , instead of Cranberry sauce with your Turkey as anyone ever tried Winberrey or chuckleberry sauce , both red and very nice , I think they're possibly the same berry that grow wild in places like the moorlands of Shrewsbury , ie The Stiperstones , very nice .

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!